ImageImageImage

Another CHI-PHX Trade Idea (this time, the right one)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Another CHI-PHX Trade Idea (this time, the right one) 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:05 pm

Let me know what you guys think:

Marion, Diaw, Banks, Tucker and Strawberry for Wallace, Nocioni, Thomas, Duhon and Sefolosha

(Trade ID #4385661)

Both teams revamp, and I think the change of scenery is good for all players involved.

PHX:
Nash, Bell, Hill, Stoudemire, Wallace
Duhon, Barbosa, Nocioni, Thomas, Skinner
Piatkowski, Sefolosha, Marks

CHI:
Hinrich, Gordon, Deng, Marion, Diaw
Banks, Tucker, Khryapa, Smith, Noah
Curry, Gardner, Strawberry, Griffin, Gray
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#2 » by rsavaj » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:44 pm

I liked your original version better where the Suns didn't give up the rookies. They've traded far too many draft picks, and their youth is crucial to them.

It's not a horrible trade talent-wise, but it goes against the Suns mantra of winning while Nash is still effective. However, I can see the Suns entertaining this trade if they don't re-sign Marion at the end of the season if we don't win a championship.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,330

Post#3 » by TASTIC » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:08 pm

WE DON'T WANT BEN WALLACE.

Jeez I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Why trade for an older, close-to-washed up Wallace when we can have Marion for the same price?

pass.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:19 pm

TASTIC wrote:WE DON'T WANT BEN WALLACE.

Jeez I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Why trade for an older, close-to-washed up Wallace when we can have Marion for the same price?

pass.

If you compare Marion to Wallace, of course the value is very lopsided against PHX. But if you look at the rest of the deal (Diaw, Banks, DJ and Tucker for Tyrus, Nocioni, Thabo and Duhon!!!!!!), the value is just as lopsided IN FAVOR of the Suns. Please look at the whole picture; I gather you've been conditioned to a knee-jerk reaction to any and all Wallace trades.

Big Ben is no spring chicken, but he would have value on your team. It's pointless to look at this trade from the perspective of Marion-for-Wallace. Big Ben would free Amare from the responsibility of guarding the Duncans and Boozers of the playoffs, so he can do what he does best: score. Thomas and Sefolosha would excel tremendously in the Suns' system. And you would rid yourself of your biggest off-season quandary: wha tto do with Marion. Do you pay him what he asks? Play hardball and possibly let him walk.
-- Steve Martin
guaves13
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#5 » by guaves13 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 8:50 pm

You fail to realize that MD would NEVER want to play Wallace! He makes Brian Skinner look like an offensive superstar.
impulsenine
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#6 » by impulsenine » Fri Jan 4, 2008 11:18 pm

Basically, even though you're right in that we do get good value, we just can't justify having a $15M player at the very, very, very end of the bench.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:22 am

I think you guys are severely underrating Wallace's ability to get garbage offense. IMO, an "instant defense" type guy is exactly what would take PHX to the Finals. Ben would prove his worth, by shutting down opposing bigmen while the rest of the Suns shoot them out of the building.
-- Steve Martin
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#8 » by KJ7 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:28 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:I think you guys are severely underrating Wallace's ability to get garbage offense. IMO, an "instant defense" type guy is exactly what would take PHX to the Finals. Ben would prove his worth, by shutting down opposing bigmen while the rest of the Suns shoot them out of the building.

Many ppl think this way but quite simply it's just not realistic at all. Because, as someone pointed out, D'Antoni just won't play him.

Wallace needs to be close to the basket and D'Antoni much prefers leaving that area free for players to drive into or for Amare to go to work and/or roll into the lane.

Wallace pretty much upsets our entire offense and he's nowhere near the defensive presence that he used to be. I certainly don't want to see him or his contract here any time soon.
dantian
Starter
And1: 27

Post#9 » by dantian » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:41 pm

Leave out Strawberry, I like this trade a lot but wonder why Bulls would do it as they end up with no real center at all.

I think Big Ben could produce quite well on offense in this team. He is a smart player, Rodman-smart, and will find his niche.
guaves13
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#10 » by guaves13 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:30 pm

Anybody who thinks this team would EVER trade for Wallace needs to watch more Suns basketball. I would rather have an underachieving Diaw and underutilized Banks. At least they both have some usefullness in MD's system. I don't even think that we would want Wallace if we had a new coach. Fact is, he got paid on his defensive rep but it's now clear that either he is washed up or his Piston teammates made him seem better than he is.
Togo
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Togo » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:40 pm

LOL. Wallace would be perfect to start fast breaks. He would also leave Amare to put all of his effort offensively. Wallace is one of the best defenders on Duncan. I say do it. Obviously not a Marion for Wallace, but we get TT and Nocioni, for Banks and Diaw. Done and Done.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:37 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall Rasheed matching up on TD and Ben Wallace coming over for help defense in most of those final series.

I was going to allude to the fact he might have been one of those "Steven Hunter" types in our offense when he was younger but I don't think he's as quick as he used to be.

I must admit that it would be nice to have someone like TyThomas and Duhon coming off the bench for us. I think "nice" is prolly a gross understatement comes to think of it.
Cash
Veteran
And1: 18

Post#13 » by Cash » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:46 am

Um, if D'Antoni would "NEVER" play Wallace, why does he give Skinner consistent minutes? Skinner's offensive game is highly comparable.

However, I still think the Suns would say no to this trade. It would greatly improve the Suns' depth, but D'Antoni very overtly doesn't care about depth. And while D'Antoni is willing to play one defense-only player for stretches, I don't think he'd want to play Wallace for 30-35 minutes, then bring in Skinner to back him up.

I think this trade would make the Suns better, but don't think either team would do it.
Robert Sarver: "Hey Suns fans, how's my a** taste?"
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by KJ7 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 1:53 am

50.9% eFG Vs 20.5% eFG on jumpers. Their offensive games are NOT comparable (not this season anyway). If you had said that last season I might've agreed but Skinner's jumpshot is pretty tight. I've never seen Ben Wallace make a 20 footer.

What's more Skinner's jump-shots makes up 58% of his total shots where as Ben is nowhere near that (31%). And that's exactly my point. Skinner was brought in purely for his D but on offense he is still taking more jumpshots then anything else. If he wasn't making those jumpers he wouldn't be seeing as much time.

Return to Phoenix Suns