ImageImageImage

Does KG have the MVP all rapped up!

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

deuceSUNS
Banned User
And1: 0

Does KG have the MVP all rapped up! 

Post#1 » by deuceSUNS » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:38 am

Love Steve Nash, he in in my mind has been the MVP the last three years and when he turns it on there is no one else in the league who is better in every aspect of the Game but....

Boston has the best record and KG plays like a man on a mission every night.

My question is there anyone else really being considered?

I dont think so
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#2 » by TASTIC » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:48 am

You have to look at Nash and KG...Bron if he can lead those misfits to 50 wins would have to warrant votes...
Kobe is leading his guys and has bought into the system...Howard if he gets the Magic to 50
eastsidecrossover
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#3 » by eastsidecrossover » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:21 am

KG is playing the way he has always had. There is nothing different about his game. The fact is, he is finally back on a good team with good players around him. Back when he won it, he had a good team. The reason why he is the front runner is because he came from a bad team, to a bad team with another all-star that already had an all star, and has been talked about so much as of late
DrFunk
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by DrFunk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:27 am

At this point KG/Bron/Kobe/Nash/Howard could all win it. I'd like to see how the Lakers play without Bynum now that he's gone and see if Kobe can elevate his team even more the way Nash did without Amare. Don't want to jinx an injury to anyone but if 1 of the all stars of Boston went down with an injury for about a month we would know if KG is the real deal for MVP talk. Bron's just been a stat machine not sure if he can keep it up, as for Nash I honestly don't think we've seen his best this year yet. We're still tweaking and once he figures out how best to run this team he's going to have another monster year (not that he's not already having one).
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,421

Post#5 » by NapoleonII » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:43 am

Kobe.....
walkingart
Pro Prospect

Post#6 » by walkingart » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:49 am

Lebron, Kobe, or CP3

I wouldn't vote for KG or Nash. They are both playing with 2 legit All Stars, making the game much easier on the two of them. When the game is on the line, I don't go to KG, but rather Pierce or Allen. And Nash's defensive has progessively gotten worse the past three years.

That being said, neither the Suns or Celtics are going to have a slump in my opinion and will end up with 55+ wins. So, if the Cavs, Lakers and Hornets don't end the season with 50+ wins, I reserve the right to change my opinion.
JustMoe
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#7 » by JustMoe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:49 pm

Good call mentioning Chris Paul, walkingart. Not saying he will win it, but looking at what New Orleans has done so far this season with a roster that doesn't have many big names on it (Chandler and West are pretty underrated in my opinion), and also looking at how Paul's stats are going up again (21,1 p/g, 10,4 a/g, 2,7s/g), he'd really deserve to at least be considered.

I furthermore don't agree upon DrFunk's opinion on Bron: to me, he is the real deal. I mean, just look at that awful team Cleveland has, and still they're 5th in the East. I mean, they don't have any other potential All Stars on their roster (except for maybe, and that's a big MAYBE, Ilgauskas), Gooden is solid, and that's it. Hughes is a shadow of his former self, Gibson isn't even a real PG, and their bench is just plain awful.
I said that New Orleans hasn't got the best roster before, but theirs is clearly better than Cleveland's. Therefor I'd say that James definitely would deserve to be considered a MVP candidate.

Besides those I agree with the other posters: KG, Nash, Kobe (no doubt about him deserving it) and Dwight.
Raptors fan through good and (mostly) bad times since 1995

2019: The year hell froze over
whambamslam
Starter

Post#8 » by whambamslam » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:14 pm

I think unless KG get hurt it's a no brainer. He is the best player on the team with the best record and With the celtics turn around too.
DrFunk
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by DrFunk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:09 pm

I'm not saying Bron's just stuffing his stats during garbage time JustMoe. He HAS been playing great so far, though I don't buy the he's getting there with a bunch of potato heads. Last I checked this is the same team that went to the EAST finals with the same linup and supporting cast. Not saying they have a GREAT supporting cast but I'm saying the East is so bad that as long as you make the playoffs any team in the East can hit the finals.

So i guess my point is, he hasn't done anything different from last year to this year then maybe have better stats so far into this season which is why i said let's see if he can keep it up. As for Kobe making Lakers so much better, please he's been playing more of a team role but it has more to do with Bynum's development and having a legit threat inside that can rebound then kobe's new attitude. So like i said let's see Lakers without Bynum to get the real deal.

Kinda still conflicted with KG, he's definitely playing with more passion this year but to me he always put the effort even when he was in Minny. The only difference now is the legit 2 allstar/former all stars that are with him. So the "turn around" in Boston can't be really all credited to KG alone... People keep mentioning how KG's arrival in Boston is like Nash's arrival here in 04-05. They fail to mention Nash came here to the same cast that won 29 games whereas Boston randomly added 2 stars to complement their one. That said the man is playing with a mission and it'd be hard to go against him if he puts up these incredible numbers and the celts finish with 60+ wins.
JustMoe
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Post#10 » by JustMoe » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 pm

DrFunk wrote:I'm not saying Bron's just stuffing his stats during garbage time JustMoe.

I didn't say that you said that, either ;)

But I just don't agree upon the East being that bad, and I also don't think that Bron has a better supporting cast than the Lakers, in fact it's clearly worse. Kobe has Odom and Bynum, who are both better than anything Bron has. And even though LA's bench may not be great, neither is Cleveland's.
You're absolutely right about the Lakers having improved despite not acquiring any great new players and that this has to do with Kobe. But, as you also mentioned, it also has a lot to do with Bynum's improvement.
Cleveland, on the other hand, is about as "good" as they were last season, and that's no big surprise since nobody has stepped up big time. Ilgauskas is grabbing a few more rebounds, Gibson has improved (but only due to the fact that he's starting now, he's playing about as good as he did at the end of last year's regular season), and Hughes is even worse than last season.
Just look at Bron's stats: they all went up - points +2,4 blocks +0,4 steals +0,4 assists +1,4 rebounds +0,9 - that's pretty impressive in my opinion. I'm absolutely convinced that the Lakers minus Kobe would still be a lot better than the Cavaliers minus LeBron...in fact, I can't think of any team in the league that would look worse than the Cavs without Bron, he's carrying that team on his back.
To me James was a well-deserved MVP candidate last year, and he also has to be this season.

And to get back to the original topic: I don't think the MVP award is KG's for the taking, but of course, if the Celtics end up with the best record his chances are pretty good. Do I think he deserves it? Well, the problem is: with Pierce and Allen by your side, it's no big surprise if you're successful. And if I look at what the Hornets, lakers and Celtics have done so far, I'd say their success has a lot more to do with one single player than it has with KG in Boston.
Raptors fan through good and (mostly) bad times since 1995

2019: The year hell froze over
Sun Scorched
Lead Assistant
And1: 280

Post#11 » by Sun Scorched » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:00 pm

If Nash had gotten it last year, I would never bring his name up for MVP considerations again... ever. A threepeat would have been the perfect way to celebrate one of the hardest working, most gifted (not naturally min you) point guards in the history of the NBA.

That Dirk got it just goes to show that the people who vote on this award deserve to be drawn and quartered.

This year it is between KG, Nash and, if NO can keep it up Paul.

Kobe is Kobe, but check this. Simply not taking shots so that other people on your team can take more shots should not warrant the MVP. I still have tremendous respect for Bryant though, what he has put up with on that team should, in fact, warrant the MVP itself.

Dwight will win his MVP, just not this year and not before KG wins his with Boston. Seriously? Dwight over KG? Please...

LeBron won't win until he gets a bette supporting cast. I don't care if they went to the finals out of the East. In fact, no one outside of Cleveland should care. The East still sucks. Bad. LeBron will win his, just not this year and not before KG. Seriously? LeBron over KG? Please...

Ultimately, KG is the only player out of the East with a shot at MVP honors.
On Steve Nash:
G35 wrote:He may run a great offense but I wouldn't choose him over Amare to start a team.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#12 » by KJ7 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 pm

This years MVP is possibly the hardest to pick ever. You can make arguments for both sides. Here's my top 5 and the arguments for/against:

1. KG - For: Best player on the best team Against: He plays in the East and plays with 2 other All-Stars
2. Kobe - For: Ultimately, the most talented player in the league Against: Bynum is the real reason their record has improved from last season
3. CP3 - For: 20-10-2.7stls when was the last time that happened. His teams record is impressive to boot. Against: You get the feeling the Hornets will fizzle out and the team might just be benefitting from a healthy David West (who always seems to be forgotten).
4. Lebron - For: Almost scoring 30-7.5-7.5 is just nuts. Against: His teams record is nothing special considering he plays in the East
5. Nash - For: Doing what he has been doing. Team has best record in the difficult West Against: Plays with 2 All-Stars and they have been looking as dominant as prev years.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by KJ7 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:18 pm

^^^ Come to think of it, I might even push Kobe to 3rd and CP3 up to 2nd.
DrFunk
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by DrFunk » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 pm

Good list there KJ7, but like they say it ain't over till the fat lady sings, so let's see who keeps this up during the 2nd half :nod:
sarah42
Starter

Post#15 » by sarah42 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:34 am

i'd be happy for either kg or chris paul.

its just that i think the celtics are going to be on cruise control so his numbers will go down, but no doubt, kg has had games this year that he willed his team to win. you just might not see it in the boxscore.

kobe? please! the reason why they have a good record is andrew bynum. he's hurt, and they'll probably be .500 until he gets back in 2 months. he doesn't ever deserve to be an mvp ever

how does he make teammates better?

to be the guys that makes teammates better are nash/kg/paul/lebron - maybe kidd if his teammates didn't sleep all game!

i'd be happy if nash won it too. to me, he's still the best player, and i'm a hornets fan!
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
sarah42
Starter

Post#16 » by sarah42 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:37 am

for what its worth, cp3 is number 1 in fantasy ratings, i think kg was number 1 last year....go figure.

i hope nash starts the all star game. tmac can choke on something to get out of it!

i just don't get the love for kobe. he can score, i still don't see how he can make teammates better. other guys who aren't pgs make teams better like lebron, kg cuz they know when to pass and have great court vision....kobe still doesn't know when to stop ball hogging!
inmate347 wrote:
Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#17 » by Patterns » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:13 am

sarah42 wrote:for what its worth, cp3 is number 1 in fantasy ratings, i think kg was number 1 last year....go figure.

i hope nash starts the all star game. tmac can choke on something to get out of it!

i just don't get the love for kobe. he can score, i still don't see how he can make teammates better. other guys who aren't pgs make teams better like lebron, kg cuz they know when to pass and have great court vision....kobe still doesn't know when to stop ball hogging!

Fisher career FG%: .402
This year's FG%: .475

Smush Parker: Starter in LA and put up decent stats.
Smush Parker now: Out of the league playing with Dwade who makes his teammates better.
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#18 » by Craig McDermott » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:02 pm

KJ7 wrote:2. Kobe - For: Ultimately, the most talented player in the league Against: Bynum is the real reason their record has improved from last season

Counterintuitive. The knock on Kobe before was that the Lakers didn't meet the threshold of 50 wins, give or take. Not many superstars are going to win 50 without help, certainly with boneheads like Smush and Kwame. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Even if you do hold Bynum against him, he's not going to average much more than 13/10 when all is said and done. It didn't hurt Bird's chances 3 years in a row when he had both McHale and Parish.

If there is a monkeywrench thrown into the situation, it's do the Lakers tread water with injuries?
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#19 » by Craig McDermott » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:16 pm

KJ7 wrote:3. CP3 - For: 20-10-2.7stls when was the last time that happened. His teams record is impressive to boot.

Tim Hardaway did that and no one cared.
sarah42
Starter

Post#20 » by sarah42 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:08 am

Patterns wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Fisher career FG%: .402
This year's FG%: .475

Smush Parker: Starter in LA and put up decent stats.
Smush Parker now: Out of the league playing with Dwade who makes his teammates better.

thats so funny if it wasn't so stupid. yah, kobe is the reason why fisher is shooting so well as a point guard? pfffffff! does kobe shoot for fisher too?

please. people were giving bynum so much respect that now, players can come up to fisher and the rest of the shooters and invade they're space.

fisher is a career .400-.420 shooter - meaning he is streaky as **** -he'll come back to earth - he is a perimeter shooter, he not getting those numbers with layups!

if you watched any of the games since bynum went out - kobe has two modes - selfish wanting to score over 40 and attempting too many shots, or there are times when he disappears - when he disappears like during that suns game, he wasn't helping his teammates, because he wasn't handling the ball at all like Lebron does to get tons of assists. he just let kwame brown suffer with all those boos.

he's just not a great at getting his teammates involved. but his teams always are better when he has a talented big man to carry him. too bad bynum is out and shaq is old - because the suns/sonics and spurs games are probably the kinds of games you'll see out of that team.

he almost had a triple double last night, so yeah he really is talented - too bad he almost got the bad kind of triple double - 9 turnovers! :roll:
inmate347 wrote:

Return to Phoenix Suns