ImageImageImage

Steven Hunter?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

-SDU-
RealGM
And1: 30
Location: -SDU-'s hitlist - David Stern, Robert Horry, Stu Jackson, Tim Donaghy, Argentina, Doomsdayers

Steven Hunter? 

Post#1 » by -SDU- » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:35 am

No one with the Suns would be shocked to hear that Denver center Steven Hunter arrived 15 minutes later than he should have for a game last week. Hunter was told that he would not play that night. Anyone familiar with the NBA star structure also would not be shocked to know that teammate Allen Iverson arrived after Hunter and started, as usual. "Selective memory," coach George Karl told Denver reporters. Nevertheless, the Nuggets' apparent lack of need for Hunter might spark some interest by Phoenix in acquiring him.

personally, i was a HUGE fan of his here, not that he was awesome or anything, more that he played his role and gave great energy off the bench. Ill always remember his huge game 1 vs the grizz in round one of the 04-05 playoffs

would i take him back here - yes, just depends what the nuggets would want??

thoughts?
impulsenine
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#2 » by impulsenine » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:51 am

Hm, I'm not sure what's so exciting, looking at his stats and Hollinger's rundown - he looks like a younger Sean Marks?
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#3 » by nevetsov » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:04 am

I'd probably do a Banks for Hunter deal straight up, if only to alleviate the DJ/ Banks logjam. I do like Banks as a player and think that given an extended opportunity he would flourish, but let's face it; if he hasn't gotten it by now, he ain't going to get it :nonono:

They do have an abundance of bigs (Camby/ Martin/ Nene/ Najera/ Kleiza/ Hunter) which does seem to make Hunter redundant. In Phoenix, Hunter would hopefully be above Marks on the depth chart.

I would luuurve to expand this deal to include Diaw but i'm not sure they would want another high-priced big on their books (especially as they already have the 3rd highest payroll). I think he would help alleviate the loss of Nene but unless he's given a starting role (Melo/ Diaw/ Camby) his production probably wouldn't warrant inclusion in this deal. The Nuggets would have to try and offload K-Mart to someone like the Heat/ Kings/ Sixers for one of the expiring vet PGs and I doubt any of them would really be interested.

Still, Diaw + Banks for Hunter, Najera (exp) and filler I would do in a heartbeat. Denver has some nice filler too; Kleiza, Diawarra, JR Smith (pass).. Carter is playing really well right now, would love to get him as a backup PG but I doubt the Nuggs would give him up.
walkingart
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#4 » by walkingart » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:08 am

he is far superior to Marks, no matter what hollinger or any stats may lead you to believe.

he is a legit 7 footer, who could be very useful for the Suns.

i think the Nugs would dump him for nothing, he is not playing, and is costing them about $7 million for the year since they are over the tax.

i doubt they would take on any of our bad contracts and when i say bad, i mean banks.

maybe Piat for Hunter, saves the Nugs $4 million this season and another $7 million in the following two.
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#5 » by KJ7 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:12 am

Banks for Hunter is the most I would do to be honest. Otherwise he costs *us* 7m when you take into consideration luxtax.

I would really like to see what he does after surgery as well before we pull the trigger on it. He could be all gimpy after knee surgery for all we know. He relied so much on his athleticism if it wasn't there he would pretty much be useless.
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#6 » by nevetsov » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:24 am

KJ7 wrote:Banks for Hunter is the most I would do to be honest. Otherwise he costs *us* 7m when you take into consideration luxtax.

I would really like to see what he does after surgery as well before we pull the trigger on it. He could be all gimpy after knee surgery for all we know. He relied so much on his athleticism if it wasn't there he would pretty much be useless.

Good point KJ, I didn't even know he had surgery.
nevetsov
Head Coach

Post#7 » by nevetsov » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Ok, here's my contribution:

Suns send: Diaw, Banks
Suns recieve: Najera (exp), Carter (exp), Hunter

Denver sends: Martin, Carter, Najera, Atkins, Hunter 08 1st
Denver recieves: Bibby, Diaw, Banks

Kings send: Bibby
Kings recieve: Martin, Atkins, Denver 08 1st

Suns get an improving PG in Carter (he's been fantastic this season) who can spell Nash and a couple of solid bigs. I've always liked Najera, while only 6-8/ 6-9 he is solid, can rebound, defend, run the floor and even shoot a little. Reminds me a little of Bo Outlaw with a bit of a shooting touch (or a poor man's KT). IMO he'd make a nice complementary piece to our core (and he knows how to box out) :clap:

Other pros to this trade include upping the roster to 14 players (DJ & Tucker = D League simultaneously) and getting our payroll under the $67.87M lux tax limit ($67.77M). It also helps us next year when after Naj and Carter expire, (assuming GH and Matrix pick up their PO's) our payroll drops to $62.5M - We can use the full MLE on a free agent, or a good chunk of our TE on a trade for a player, and still be under the tax threshold. Either way, we stand to add another solid mid-level player. Add the ATL pick and we're in good shape for the future :)

Moving on, Nuggets get to alleviate their logjams in the frontcourt and can trot out an ominous starting lineup of Bibby-Iverson-Anthony-Diaw-Camby with Banks/ Diawara/ Kleiza/ Nene off the bench.

Kings move Bibby, get a backup for Udrih in Atkins, fill the void at PF with K-Mart, and score another 1st for the 08 draft.
Cash
Veteran
And1: 18

Post#8 » by Cash » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:27 pm

^^^^That's pretty good.
Robert Sarver: "Hey Suns fans, how's my a** taste?"
Shzm13
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#9 » by Shzm13 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:42 pm

Hunter can't shoot at all.. Dantoni wouldn't let him step on the court.

But i would like the trade idea on paper.
bjebaz
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#10 » by bjebaz » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm

Shzm13 wrote:Hunter can't shoot at all.. Dantoni wouldn't let him step on the court.

But i would like the trade idea on paper.

When I see posts like this, and the earlier one comparing Hunter to Marks, I wonder, how long have you guys been Suns fans?

Against the Spurs in the WCF in 04-05, the guy got 20 minutes a game for the Suns. I think he's better than Skinner (at least against the Spurs because of his height which helps against Duncan), and that he'd play.
CroesusDeluxo
Banned User

Post#11 » by CroesusDeluxo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:51 pm

nevetsov wrote:Ok, here's my contribution:

Suns send: Diaw, Banks
Suns recieve: Najera (exp), Carter (exp), Hunter

Denver sends: Martin, Carter, Najera, Atkins, Hunter 08 1st
Denver recieves: Bibby, Diaw, Banks

Kings send: Bibby
Kings recieve: Martin, Atkins, Denver 08 1st

DO IT
CroesusDeluxo
Banned User

Post#12 » by CroesusDeluxo » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 pm

bjebaz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

When I see posts like this, and the earlier one comparing Hunter to Marks, I wonder, how long have you guys been Suns fans?

Against the Spurs in the WCF in 04-05, the guy got 20 minutes a game for the Suns. I think he's better than Skinner (at least against the Spurs because of his height which helps against Duncan), and that he'd play.

somebody had to get those minutes...
guaves13
Veteran
And1: 3

Post#13 » by guaves13 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:09 pm

bjebaz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was thinking the same thing when I read that! I loved Hunter when he was here in '04/05 but for some reason MD seemed to hate playing him. He played him only when he had to and I remember MD giving him several tongue lashings with Steven on his way to the bench. It would surprise me if he wanted him back. Especially considering the tax penalty.
13-32
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by 13-32 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:40 pm

Nope I don't want him again

He's a 7 foot version of Skinner who obviously blocks shots better but costs 3.2 Million compared to 1.2 Millinon from Skinner

Denver absolutely rapes that trade and I wouldn't move Diaw just to get Hunter
nanoclarkology
Pro Prospect

Post#15 » by nanoclarkology » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:59 pm

I actually like that trade. We would be pretty well set for the future. Hopefully with Tucker, DJ, and our Atlanta 1st being the core of the future.
mkot
RealGM
And1: 1,425

Post#16 » by mkot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 pm

IF, we can get Hunter for Banks, I'd say get it done. If not, what's the point? It's not like we play Skinner alot of minutes, and Hunter isn't necessarily an upgrade over Skinner. I don't know what he could really give us that Skinner can't. If we are to pay extra money to get Hunter, why don't just give Skinner more minutes. Hunter would simply give us athleticism and shotblocking in the lane. He has low IQ and always try to block everything which makes him not staying in good position to help out. And he has stone hands, which makes him not a good target for Nash's pass. I don't think you do the same thing and expect different result. I bet he will be in Mike's doghouse again, except that he has only 2 years left on his contract compares to Banks' 4 (or whatever the hell that is...).
ray ray
Sixth Man
And1: 762

Post#17 » by ray ray » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:08 am

13-32 wrote:Nope I don't want him again

He's a 7 foot version of Skinner who obviously blocks shots better but costs 3.2 Million compared to 1.2 Millinon from Skinner

Denver absolutely rapes that trade and I wouldn't move Diaw just to get Hunter

We don't need another all star player, what we need is a player like Steven Hunter but when he's healthy. You compared him to Brian Skinner and if he's remotely as good as Skinner we are far off better than we are with Banks. If anything, Hunter is a precense in the Paint , and when Amare gets in foul trouble then you can put Skinner or Hunter with Diaw in the front court and we'll be alright.

The main promblem is tha Hunter is hurt and there's no way we can know how he's going to be after he recovers after his knee surgery. But if I had Amare,Diaw,Skinner and Hunter as our front court and Marion occasionly, I would feel much better going into the playoffs. If anything he's an extra 6 fouls we can use in a game.
13-32
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by 13-32 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:11 am

OF course I would do a simple Banks for Hunter swap but that is highly un-likely and Denver would need something to sweeten the deal because Banks contract is disgusting.
TASTIC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,335

Post#19 » by TASTIC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:04 am

Banks is nigh on unmovable as long as he isn't getting 15mins backing Nash up...he won't be taken by anyone unless the ATL pick is involved...knowing management, they'll move Banks + ATL for something like Jake Voskuhl.

Lovely.

:(
KJ7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#20 » by KJ7 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:10 am

bjebaz wrote:When I see posts like this, and the earlier one comparing Hunter to Marks, I wonder, how long have you guys been Suns fans?

In fairness he only got those mins when JoeJ was injured. When Joe came back he reverted to 5-12 mins IIRC.

I'd prefer Skinner over Hunter myself. He's not a black-hole in half-court offense. I must admit I did like the way Hunter played TD that series but he was hardly stopping him. He challenged shots but he's just so weak for a 7 footer he used to get back-down way too close to the basket to stop TD.

Plus, he's an absolute terrible rebounder for someone whose 7 foot and has a massive wingspan. Used to frustrate the crap outta me.

Return to Phoenix Suns