ImageImageImage

Game 13: Los Angeles(8-1)@Phoenix(8-4)

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Re: Game 13: Los Angeles(8-1)@Phoenix(8-4) 

Post#201 » by rsavaj » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:42 pm

We made basketbawful.com's worst of the night list:

Robert Sarver, Steve Kerr and Terry Porter: I've tried to be patient. I've tried really hard not to overreact. But last night, watching the "Suns" play the Lakers, I became filled with a white-hot rage over what these three men have done to a team I used to love. In their desire to remake the Suns into the Phoenix branch of the San Antonio Spurs (a.k.a. Spurs: Part II), they have transformed something magical into something painfully, achingly ordinary. Apparently, they believe that a Shaq-centric offense is still the foundation upon which championships are built. It is not. And I guess they want Steve Nash to become a latter-day Brevin Knight, dutifully distributing the ball to the team's big men, spotting up, and shooting only when necessary or as a last resort. That's like only using your Lamborghini to do the grocery shopping.

Mind you, Porter claims his team is free to run. Selectively. But that's not how he's calling the shots, so when the Suns do run nobody is filling the lanes or spotting up the way they need to. Nash can't drive baseline or get anywhere near the basket -- which used to be the go-to maneuver from which he found many an open shooter or cutter -- because the paint is now chock-full of Shaq (and often times Amare too). Furthermore, Porter has, amazingly, managed to do something no opposing coach has been able to do for four years: Stop the Nash-to-Stoudemire pick-and-roll. Seriously, Sun Tzu used to get four or five dunks/alley-oops per game. Now it feels like ages between slick pass-and-dunks.

I'm officially living a nightmare...watching a once-beautiful thing suddenly become monstrous and ugly. It's like falling asleep next to Scarlett Johansson but waking up next to Alan Greenspan. Do not try to comfort me. I cannot be consoled. Not only is one of my all-time favorite teams dead, I only just realized that I missed the funeral.

By the way, watching the devolution of Nash -- which, make no mistake, has more to do with how the team is being forced to play than his relative athletic senescence -- made something pop into my head. During Steve's second MVP season, I got into a series of rather heated debates with the Kobe-4-MVP crowd. One of the main arguments that kept getting thrown in my face was Kobe's higher PER (28.0 to 23.3). This was supposedly an indicator that Kobe was making a greater overall contribution to his team's success than was Nash. But I've always argued that a player's PER can be deceiving because it is lowered by the increased productivity of a player's teammates. To wit: Do you know what Kobe's PER is this season? It's 23.3 -- the same as Nash's in '06 -- which puts him at 14th in the league...right behind Al Jefferson. Yet I would be willing to bet my collection of brass Larry Bird door knockers that the same people who used the PER argument against me would totally ignore the fact that Dwyane Wade (33.2), LeBron James (33.1), and Chris Paul (32.3) are light years ahead of Kobe in terms of PER this season.

Don't mistake me, here. I'm not even remotely trying to start an MVP debate this early. In fact, I'd punch myself in the groin if I were. I'm just expressing my continued annoyance at the people, and there are still plenty of them, who use PER without context or perspective.
Purple Palace
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#202 » by Purple Palace » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:11 pm

187_Inc wrote:At least I don't have to worry about a Championship banner hanging in the arena anytime soon. I'll be going back to putting all of my sports enthusiasm into the Cardinals. See you guys in January.

Your enthusiasm in the Cardinals? You'll be just as disappointed with them as you will be with the Suns when it's all over. The Cardinals aren't Super Bowl bound unless they fix a bunch of things, which I don't see happening within the next month. I love the Cardinals, btw, I just don't think they're legit seeing they're playing in the worst division and dominating it. Put them in any other division and they'd be frustrating to watch. Big game this weekend, I can't wait.

Like SDU said, you're the epitome of Arizona sports fans. They lost to a much better LA team, get over it.
Go7enKs
Senior
And1: 0

Post#203 » by Go7enKs » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:41 pm

JohnVancouver wrote:
mkot wrote:
The Diesel wrote:
I miss D'Antoni already.

At least Mike will never waive the white flag in a 12 point game with 4 minutes to play.

Just show how much trust he has in his players, and how competitive the guy is.

-- of course, Mike also left his starters in when we were up by 25-30 points, but damn - those were the good old days.

Well...with this team there is no risk for that...we're not going to blow anyone, don't worry.
My "Bright Side of the Sun" profile
Twitter account: @lorenzoFB

Return to Phoenix Suns