Thoughts on The "Zion vs. McGregor" thread in General NBA?

Moderator: lilfishi22

NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Thoughts on The "Zion vs. McGregor" thread in General NBA? 

Post#21 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 am

Another thing that's always funny, is not only do they think big guys can just automatically hold down high level grapplers, but they also think they can throw and land ground and pound, which they've never done before against guys trained to avoid and mitigate it.

Jon Jones has a better chance of dunking a basketball than Zion has of beating Conor in a fight :rofl:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,942

Post#22 » by Jasen777 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Another thing that's always funny, is not only do they think big guys can just automatically hold down high level grapplers, but they also think they can throw and land ground and pound, which they've never done before against guys trained to avoid and mitigate it.

Jon Jones has a better chance of dunking a basketball than Zion has of beating Conor in a fight :rofl:

Also basketball players typically can't land punches on each other, let alone pro fighters.

Two of the baddest NBA players of the 90s -

Also what people don't realize is that there's a bigger difference between a not good MMA grappler like Conor's grappling and someone who has never grappled then there is between say Khabib's and Conor's grappling.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#23 » by Susan » Mon May 25, 2020 1:31 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Another thing that's always funny, is not only do they think big guys can just automatically hold down high level grapplers, but they also think they can throw and land ground and pound, which they've never done before against guys trained to avoid and mitigate it.

lol, you picked the wrong dude.

I bet Francis could figure out to dunk pretty easily.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon May 25, 2020 7:59 pm

No, I picked Jon because I knew how ridiculous he looked trying to do something athletic outside of his own sport :lol:

But I still think it would be easier to get Jon to dunk than it would be to get Zion to win a fight against a real cage fighter.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 8,089

Post#25 » by NZB2323 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:19 pm

It's just as silly as saying Stefan Struve would beat Earl Boykins in basketball because Struve is taller. Most big NBA players have never been in a fight in their entire lives, because people don't pick fights with guys who are 7 feet tall.

Now James Johnson has a black belt in karate, has been training MMA since he was 18, is 7-0 is MMA matches, and 20-0 in kickboxing matches. He's 6'7" 240 and could probably beat up some UFC fighters, and not just smaller ones. Look at the success Matt Mitrione had in the UFC.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Jun 5, 2020 11:40 pm

Does anybody have any video or record of James Johnson's fights? I know a bunch of bums that have fought "professional" mma in front of like 7 people, and I can easily find their fights online, but a search for James Johnson's fights shows up dry for me, and I can't even find the name or record of any of his opponents.

Do we know for sure he isn't just undefeated in some mcdojo karate gym/tkd tournaments? lol.

I can find Joe Hogan headkicking people on VHS tapes in like high school, and can't find professional MMA fights from an NBA player. THat seems fishy as hell to me.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,114

Post#27 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 12:19 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Does anybody have any video or record of James Johnson's fights? I know a bunch of bums that have fought "professional" mma in front of like 7 people, and I can easily find their fights online, but a search for James Johnson's fights shows up dry for me, and I can't even find the name or record of any of his opponents.

Do we know for sure he isn't just undefeated in some mcdojo karate gym/tkd tournaments? lol.

I can find Joe Hogan headkicking people on VHS tapes in like high school, and can't find professional MMA fights from an NBA player. THat seems fishy as hell to me.

Ya I don't question he has a black belt in karate. I believe I read that his entire family are really into karate. But ya I always chuckle when I see people say he is 7-0 as a professional MMA fighter and 20-0 as a professional kickboxer. There is no record of any of this, what regional circuits did he compete at? My guess is its something along the lines of streetbeefs haha.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 6, 2020 12:26 am

Who isn't a black belt in Karate though? lol
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 12:35 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Who isn't a black belt in Karate though? lol

Haha true. I mean we are talking 27 so called pro fights and I can't find a single video of any of them. Hell I can't even find a video where he even throws a kick.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:45 am

Same. I think someone in the MMA world needs to call this out, because I'm tired of hearing how much of a badass James Johnson is, with 0 credentials.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 5:48 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:Same. I think someone in the MMA world needs to call this out, because I'm tired of hearing how much of a badass James Johnson is, with 0 credentials.

Looks completely bogus. The claim that he was 20-0 in kickboxing and had 7 world karate titles and 9 national titles by the time he was 18. That's probably sparring randos in his father's dojo in Wyoming. He's not in any MMA database that I could find, an article said he fought Damond Clark but he's not on Damond Clark's record. There's no way he had legit sanctioned pro mma fights. Even minor celebs with amateur fights typically have documentation.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:05 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Same. I think someone in the MMA world needs to call this out, because I'm tired of hearing how much of a badass James Johnson is, with 0 credentials.

Looks completely bogus. The claim that he was 20-0 in kickboxing and had 7 world karate titles and 9 national titles before by the time that he was 18. That's probably sparring randos in his father's dojo in Wyoming. He's not in any MMA database that I could find, an article said he fought Damond Clark but he's not on Damond Clark's record. There's no way he had legit sanctioned pro mma fights. Even minor celebs with amateur fights typically have documentation.

Yup. Again there is video of Joe Rogan in a Taekwondo competition from 1987, freaking James Johnson was born in 1987 haha. James Johnson was 18 in 2005, his Wiki says his first professional MMA bout was when he turned 18 and has 7 of those and 20 professional kickboxing bouts. Lets say all those fights took place between 2005 and 2010 (27 fights in 5 years is pretty ridiculous but lets just roll with it). So 27 PROFESSIONAL fights since the year 2005 and not one single clip, not even a full fight video but just even a 10 second clip. This is like "Beach" from Streetbeefs telling people he is a champion MMA fighter with a 5-0 record. But at least with him there is video of his fights haha.

The James Johnson is an undefeated professional MMA fighter and kickboxer is one of the dumber things that gets brought up when it comes to NBA off court stuff. I always cringe when someone brings it up.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Jasen777 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:17 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:James Johnson was 18 in 2005, his Wiki says his first professional MMA bout was when he turned 18 and has 7 of those and 20 professional kickboxing bouts. Lets say all those fights took place between 2005 and 2010 (27 fights in 5 years is pretty ridiculous but lets just roll with it). So 27 PROFESSIONAL fights since the year 2005 and not one single clip, not even a full fight video but just even a 10 second clip. This is like "Beach" from Streetbeefs telling people he is a champion MMA fighter with a 5-0 record. But at least with him there is video of his fights haha.

I did find a SI article in 2009 when he was at Wake Forest that said he hadn't fought in 3 years.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2009/02/02/prized-fighter

JAMES JOHNSON last entered the cage on May 13, 2006.

There's no evidence he's done anything outside his dad's gym.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 6, 2020 11:27 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:James Johnson was 18 in 2005, his Wiki says his first professional MMA bout was when he turned 18 and has 7 of those and 20 professional kickboxing bouts. Lets say all those fights took place between 2005 and 2010 (27 fights in 5 years is pretty ridiculous but lets just roll with it). So 27 PROFESSIONAL fights since the year 2005 and not one single clip, not even a full fight video but just even a 10 second clip. This is like "Beach" from Streetbeefs telling people he is a champion MMA fighter with a 5-0 record. But at least with him there is video of his fights haha.

I did find a SI article in 2009 when he was at Wake Forest that said he hadn't fought in 3 years.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2009/02/02/prized-fighter

JAMES JOHNSON last entered the cage on May 13, 2006.

There's no evidence he's done anything outside his dad's gym.

Haha so his first professional fight was when he turned 18 (February 20th, 2005). So the dude had 7 PROFESSIONAL MMA fights and 20 PROFESSIONAL kickboxing fights in a 1 year period? Cranked out just over 2 fights a month for a full year straight. Totally believable!!! This is truly one of the dumber stories haha.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#35 » by REDDzone » Sun Jun 7, 2020 2:32 am

Jasen777 wrote:

Looks completely bogus. The claim that he was 20-0 in kickboxing and had 7 world karate titles and 9 national titles by the time he was 18. That's probably sparring randos in his father's dojo in Wyoming. He's not in any MMA database that I could find, an article said he fought Damond Clark but he's not on Damond Clark's record. There's no way he had legit sanctioned pro mma fights. Even minor celebs with amateur fights typically have documentation.

Hell, Screech has more documentation. :lol:
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jul 2, 2020 5:10 am

Someone bumped the Zion thread.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts