Moderator: lilfishi22

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,114

Re: UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#101 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Diamantidis wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Like it or not, this was a genius move by the UFC. The card didnt need to be stacked because they knew Conor and Cowboy alone would be enough to get a ton of eyeballs. Then Cowboy was the perfect guy to toss to Conor for his return. He is one of the most popular fighters around, you know he's going to want to stand and bang but its also clear his chin has been gone for a year now. So the most likely scenario is what happened last night, Conor returns with a ton of people watching and he looks like this unbeatable killer. This sets up a Conor vs Jorge fight (another massive fight that I actually think Conor wins).

I agree with everything except from the bold part. I think Conor should return to lightweight, he is just not big enough for guys like Jorge and Usman. I dont think he could even beat Colby tbh. Cerrone was on the decline thats why it was such an easy win. (I really hope he retires after this fight, he got another big paycheck, wouldnt want to see him do more harm to his body).

Conor should fight Gaethje and then if he wins, the winner of Khabib - Tony.

I agree Conor should return to lightweight. Jorge isn't really a big WW though, like half of his fights have come at 155. Jorge also isn't going to try and use a bigger body to his advantage in a grappling match. Jorge is going to look to stand and bang. Say what you want about Conor, but that dude is no doubt elite in the stand up department.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#102 » by Susan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:03 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Showtime not so much showtime anymore

Would be a shame if the Packers got blown out in embarrassing fashion tomorrow.

Lol you don't want to make this a WI vs. IL thing do you? Little brother complex in just about every sport, college or pro.

Jimmy G is from the NW Suburbs of Chicago and Mike Shanahan grew up a town over from me, I'm rooting for a BLOODBATH.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,456

Post#103 » by SichtingLives » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 am

Conor/Jorge in 3 months would be the antithesis of UFC matchmaking. It would be a 50/50 guaranteed killshot of a hype king that would knock either fighters prestige way down, the UFC doesn't do those until all other avenues are exhausted. If I thought there were a way that wouldn't be a devastating first round KO one way or the other it might make sense but one of them dudes will absolutely get murdered pretty quickly. Not a good look for the loser and if it were Jorge at his age I doubt they could build him up to this status again. Does the UFC want great fights and storylines sure but they want legit headliners more.

I expect Conor and Jorge to push for it with legit bad blood brewing and the public will want it too but Dana will ultimately cockblock and divert. Mas/Usman while Khabib/Tony determines Conors next fight.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#104 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:43 am

Jurry wrote:Conor/Jorge in 3 months would be the antithesis of UFC matchmaking. It would be a 50/50 guaranteed killshot of a hype king that would knock either fighters prestige way down, the UFC doesn't do those until all other avenues are exhausted. If I thought there were a way that wouldn't be a devastating first round KO one way or the other it might make sense but one of them dudes will absolutely get murdered pretty quickly. Not a good look for the loser and if it were Jorge at his age I doubt they could build him up to this status again. Does the UFC want great fights and storylines sure but they want legit headliners more.

I expect Conor and Jorge to push for it with legit bad blood brewing and the public will want it too but Dana will ultimately cockblock and divert. Mas/Usman while Khabib/Tony determines Conors next fight.

These are really good points. Conor / Jorge, unless it starts a trilogy or something, for sure costs the UFC units of stardom. One of them has to use. Whereas, in their best case scenario, Masvidal beats Usman and they lose not a single point of stardom.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#105 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:05 am

Haha. This Oleinek fight is FOTN so far.

"You're drunk, you're morons" - Joe Rogan on people booing it. Haha. Gotta appreciate the Rogan is the only colour commentator in all of sports who can speak like this.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#106 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:41 am

I would have to think the UFC is hoping Tony can knock off Khabib, because he's hittable, wobbly, and very vulnerable to someone like Conor.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#107 » by REDDzone » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:47 pm

Yea, it's not ideal for the UFC to have two dominant wrestlers at the two viable weight classes for Conor.

I think Conor just needs to move to LW. I really don't think Conor will be able to beat any legitimate UFC WW. He will do fine against LWs who moved to WW like Cowboy and maybe even Masvidal. But guys like Usman, Tyron, and Colby will destroy him IMO. Honestly it's hard for me to even picture Conor eating shots from someone like Lawler, the size difference seems huge in my head.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#108 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:42 am

Apparently, under the old model this PPV would’ve done over 2 million buys, this is so crazy to me. Conor is far and away the biggest draw mma has ever seen, and arguably in combat sports history.

This guy can sell any event by himself. This card was super weak, maybe had some name value with Pettis and Holm, but hardly enough to sell a PPV.

I hate Conor so much, his post fight presser was a major eye roll, but man, his ability to draw can never be questioned

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#109 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:44 am

REDDzone wrote:Yea, it's not ideal for the UFC to have two dominant wrestlers at the two viable weight classes for Conor.

I think Conor just needs to move to LW. I really don't think Conor will be able to beat any legitimate UFC WW. He will do fine against LWs who moved to WW like Cowboy and maybe even Masvidal. But guys like Usman, Tyron, and Colby will destroy him IMO. Honestly it's hard for me to even picture Conor eating shots from someone like Lawler, the size difference seems huge in my head.

I know he lost to a LW and got KO’d by Pettis, but Wonderboy is a nightmare matchup for him. This is why his post fight conference rubbed me the wrong way, he truly believes he’s a WW because he has two wins in the weight class, and it’s very delusional considering it was against two LW’s who have proven to have a lot of trouble at the top of WW.

Also him saying he’s the only one to get finishes in 3 different weight classes is wrong when Cannonier did that, and against fighters who were true to their weight class.
Thank you Clutch0z24
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,184
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#110 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:40 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
REDDzone wrote:Yea, it's not ideal for the UFC to have two dominant wrestlers at the two viable weight classes for Conor.

I know he lost to a LW and got KO’d by Pettis, but Wonderboy is a nightmare matchup for him. This is why his post fight conference rubbed me the wrong way, he truly believes he’s a WW because he has two wins in the weight class, and it’s very delusional considering it was against two LW’s who have proven to have a lot of trouble at the top of WW.

Also him saying he’s the only one to get finishes in 3 different weight classes is wrong when Cannonier did that, and against fighters who were true to their weight class.

What 3rd weight class does Cannonier have a knockout at?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Susan
RealGM

Post#111 » by Susan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:40 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:

What 3rd weight class does Cannonier have a knockout at?

HW against CYRIL ASKER.

Vitor Belfort also did it. It's just a dumbass thing to say but people believe it. Just like the $80M.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#112 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:36 pm

Susan wrote:HW against CYRIL ASKER.

Vitor Belfort also did it. It's just a dumbass thing to say but people believe it. Just like the $80M.

What? He said he is the only fighter to secure knockout victories at Featherweight, Lightweight, and Welterweight. Jared Cannonier and Vitor Belfort certainly didn't do that lol.

(I'm referring to the post fight interview BTW, not sure if he said something different at the press conference.)
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#113 » by Susan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:45 pm

REDDzone wrote:

What? He said he is the only fighter to secure knockout victories at Featherweight, Lightweight, and Welterweight. Jared Cannonier and Vitor Belfort certainly didn't do that lol.

(I'm referring to the post fight interview BTW, not sure if he said something different at the press conference.)

I'm deeply sorry about your Packers.

Just saw an article talking about 3 KOs in 3 different weight divisions, you're right he specified. Either way, it's a pretty ho-hum thing he's trying to pump up.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#114 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:03 pm

Susan wrote:I'm deeply sorry about your Packers.

Just saw an article talking about 3 KOs in 3 different weight divisions, you're right he specified. Either way, it's a pretty ho-hum thing he's trying to pump up.

Read something besides a headline for once.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#115 » by High 5 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:30 pm

REDDzone wrote:

But in the same interview he did say "Who is going up and down divisions and stopping people with knockout victories?" which sounded like he believed (or wanted others to believe) that he was the only one. Just saying...
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#116 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm

^ I'm just referring to the "record" he claimed he set. I'm sure he said a lot of other self-aggrandizing things that may or may not have made sense lol.

Has anyone else even fought at all three weight classes? My mind jumped to Kenny Florian who also fought MW. Dubious distinction IMO but still no reason to misrepresent the claim.
Susan
RealGM

Post#117 » by Susan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:51 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:I'm deeply sorry about your Packers.

Read something besides a headline for once.

I have trouble reading, you know this.
Susan
RealGM

Post#118 » by Susan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:53 pm

REDDzone wrote:^ I'm just referring to the "record" he claimed he set. I'm sure he said a lot of other self-aggrandizing things that may or may not have made sense lol.

Has anyone else even fought at all three weight classes? My mind jumped to Kenny Florian who also fought MW. Dubious distinction IMO but still no reason to misrepresent the claim.

How **** DARE you forget that Anthony Pettis has fought in all 3 weight classes. BERNMAN, GET THIS FOOL.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#119 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:12 pm

Good point actually. So Anthony would have finishes at all three weight classes but no KOs at 145. This "record" gets more dubious by the minute.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#120 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Did you guys know that Conor McGregor is the ONLY man to beat Cowboy at UFC 246?

Feel free to fact check that. It's 100% true.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts