Moderator: lilfishi22

Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,699

Re: OT: UFC 281 Adesanya vs Perreira 

Post#101 » by Kingdibs19 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Reeko wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Reeko wrote:I saw the replay, and I stand by what I said. I'm not saying it was egregious or a flat out early stoppage, just a tad early and I would have liked to have seen Izzy given a bit longer to see if he could get out of there and survive the onslaught. He looked out of it, yes, but he was still on his feet and trying to weave. Context matters here, this is a title fight and one of the longest reigning champions is defending his belt, and I've seen less important fights, with fighters looking way more out of it than Izzy, be allowed to continue. People wanna talk about "Oh the ref saved him from CTE", like what? He's a professional MMA fighter that was a professional kick boxer, he has probably already been concussed more times than he can count, CTE was already a possibility long before the 5th round of that fight.

You're asking if people are new yet you're talking like you've never seen a standing TKO.

He should be given a chance because of context? He was! The referee let Alex beat his ass. That's why the fight was stopped.

Most guys who are stopped while standing are either shelled up and not fighting back or trying to avoid the blows at all, or they’re being pummeled to the point where it’s only the opponents punches that are keeping them from falling. Look at the replay, Izzy manages to slip 2 of Perreira’s last 3 punches.

Yes let’s look at the replay.

Which 2 of Alex’s last 3 punched did he “slip”?
KembaWalker wrote:If you think you need a gun to answer the door, you probably shouldn’t answer the door. Call the police

Re: innocent ex military Roger Fortson gunned down by police at his own house
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#102 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:57 pm

Reeko wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:
Reeko wrote:I saw the replay, and I stand by what I said. I'm not saying it was egregious or a flat out early stoppage, just a tad early and I would have liked to have seen Izzy given a bit longer to see if he could get out of there and survive the onslaught. He looked out of it, yes, but he was still on his feet and trying to weave. Context matters here, this is a title fight and one of the longest reigning champions is defending his belt, and I've seen less important fights, with fighters looking way more out of it than Izzy, be allowed to continue. People wanna talk about "Oh the ref saved him from CTE", like what? He's a professional MMA fighter that was a professional kick boxer, he has probably already been concussed more times than he can count, CTE was already a possibility long before the 5th round of that fight.

You're asking if people are new yet you're talking like you've never seen a standing TKO.

He should be given a chance because of context? He was! The referee let Alex beat his ass. That's why the fight was stopped.

Most guys who are stopped while standing are either shelled up and not fighting back or trying to avoid the blows at all, or they’re being pummeled to the point where it’s only the opponents punches tjhat are keeping them from falling. Look at the replay, Izzy manages to slip 2 of Perreira’s last 3 punches.
Do you really think he is dodging blows?? I wouldn't know how to explain it in English...muscular memory??basically acting by reflex/inertia...I haven't seen when a guy has been KO'd and reflexively grabs onto the referee's legs to continue fighting ..?it seems...I have been in situations "similar" to the one in Israel...it really is sport, we have to take care of the boys...if we are left wanting more...just make a little noise and Dana will put together a rematch
1+1=11
Mike lorenzo
Analyst
And1: 726

Post#103 » by Mike lorenzo » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:03 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:
Reeko wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

Most guys who are stopped while standing are either shelled up and not fighting back or trying to avoid the blows at all, or they’re being pummeled to the point where it’s only the opponents punches that are keeping them from falling. Look at the replay, Izzy manages to slip 2 of Perreira’s last 3 punches.

even Alex realizes it's done...and doesn't throw the left, hundredths before being stopped... which honors Alex, who has shown himself to be a great professional... I liked the detail of arriving half a pound less at the weigh-in... an example of professionalism
1+1=11
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,293

Post#104 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:15 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
Kingdibs19 wrote:
Reeko wrote:Most guys who are stopped while standing are either shelled up and not fighting back or trying to avoid the blows at all, or they’re being pummeled to the point where it’s only the opponents punches that are keeping them from falling. Look at the replay, Izzy manages to slip 2 of Perreira’s last 3 punches.

even Alex realizes it's done...and doesn't throw the left, hundredths before being stopped... which honors Alex, who has shown himself to be a great professional... I liked the detail of arriving half a pound less at the weigh-in... an example of professionalism

Don’t think so, looks like he was gauging where to throw the left. Alex is a killer through and through. If he can improve his take down defense and his ability to stand up after being taken down, the rest of the division is on big trouble. Shoot the guys at 205 might very well be in trouble as well.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Bankai
RealGM
And1: 26,490

Post#105 » by Bankai » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:53 pm

Perreira is Adesanya's boogeyman. Beat him at Glory and now the UFC. In Combat Sports. No matter how good you are, their is always some Fighter you just cant seem to beat. And that is where upsets can happen.
_NoMas
Pro Prospect
And1: 947

Post#106 » by _NoMas » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:54 pm

Any half decent wrestler will make easy work of Periera. Khamzat would have an easy night against that basic a style
Kingdibs19
Starter
And1: 3,699

Post#107 » by Kingdibs19 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:03 pm

Lol my guy went from:

“Tad early stoppage” to “you must be new to mma” to “Adesanya SLIPPED 2 of Alex’s last 3 punches. Look at the replay!”

Then I post a slowed down gif of the end of the fight where the last 3 punches all connected flush which he ignores and responds to someone else about what Alex is thinking. You clearly can’t see what happened, then ignore when it’s shown clearly for you in slow motion, you probably should not be the guy correcting people on what you think Alex was thinking. Worry about what you’re seeing with your eyes before you pretend to understand a fighters psychology.
KembaWalker wrote:If you think you need a gun to answer the door, you probably shouldn’t answer the door. Call the police

Re: innocent ex military Roger Fortson gunned down by police at his own house
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,494

Post#108 » by WestbrookGOATed » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:25 pm

I'll never understand all of the hate for Izzy.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#109 » by j_n » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:25 pm

I wanted Alex to win but it was an early stoppage imo, I think there should be a different stoppage standard for title fights, especially when the guy taking damage is ahead, otherwise just ban MMA if you want to avoid CTE.
Since we all agree that we (and the fighters) care more about competition and entertainment than fighters health might as well adjust the stoppage criteria to the level of the fight, reminds me of the first Usman Covington fight.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,293

Post#110 » by Reeko » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:27 pm

_NoMas wrote:Any half decent wrestler will make easy work of Periera. Khamzat would have an easy night against that basic a style

If he actually used his wrestling. Khamzat is just as likely to try to stand with Pereira.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,377

Post#111 » by CptCrunch » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:41 pm

Mike lorenzo wrote:
Kingdibs19 wrote:
Reeko wrote:Most guys who are stopped while standing are either shelled up and not fighting back or trying to avoid the blows at all, or they’re being pummeled to the point where it’s only the opponents punches that are keeping them from falling. Look at the replay, Izzy manages to slip 2 of Perreira’s last 3 punches.

Great point Alex could have left hooked Izzy into possibly death, he waited for a ref stoppage. That right hook dead on the side of the temple after 5-6 previous headshot was enough to end anyone.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,514

Post#112 » by og15 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Bankai wrote:Perreira is Adesanya's boogeyman. Beat him at Glory and now the UFC. In Combat Sports. No matter how good you are, their is always some Fighter you just cant seem to beat. And that is where upsets can happen.

Bad matchups happen in fighting too, definitely
Purpose
Sophomore
And1: 51

Post#113 » by Purpose » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:57 pm

Once you get KO’d you know there’s a chance you’ll never get your chin back right?? Lmao all this early stoppage crying from armchair keyboard warriors.

Let me see you take a couple clean shots to the dome and see how you feel about the subject.

I was rooting for stylebender but he was cooked. He can always go 0-4 against poatan sooner rather than later.
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 669

Post#114 » by FeatheryTouch » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:10 pm

CptCrunch wrote:
FreeThrowLine wrote:
Dirk wrote:Someone please explain this topic in nba terms for those of us who have no clue about ufc.

With regards to the ref stopping the fight?

It would be like a team being up by 12 with 1 minute to play and the ref forcing the team that’s down to bring in the end of bench guys.

Very unlikely they could have come back and won, not entirely impossible but unlikely

More like down 20

The MMA/basketball analogy doesn't work at all because hoops refs don't have to worry about protecting players from unnecessary, CTE-inducing KOs.

(insert Draymond joke here)
FeatheryTouch
Senior
And1: 669

Post#115 » by FeatheryTouch » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:32 pm

WestbrookGOATed wrote:I'll never understand all of the hate for Izzy.

I think everyone recognizes him as a great fighter, but 1)he comes across as quite arrogant(to be fair lots of other fighters do as well) personality-wise and 2)he had a long string of fights where he outclassed his opponents and nonetheless fought a safe, boring, counterstriking style that resulted in dull decision wins.

Sometimes fans just want change and a new face, Poatan is shiny and mysterious while Izzy has been ruling 185 for a while.

If anything Izzy probably garnered newfound respect in some quarters for the Pereira loss because he seemed more willing to engage in a real firefight.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,970

Post#116 » by jc23 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:34 pm

Good stoppage, the Ref saved him from unneeded damage.
Be curious, Not judgmental
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,970

Post#117 » by jc23 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:37 pm

Kingdibs19 wrote:
Reeko wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:

the ancient art of blocking fist with head technique.
Be curious, Not judgmental
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#118 » by j_n » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Purpose wrote:Once you get KO’d you know there’s a chance you’ll never get your chin back right?? Lmao all this early stoppage crying from armchair keyboard warriors.

Let me see you take a couple clean shots to the dome and see how you feel about the subject.

I was rooting for stylebender but he was cooked. He can always go 0-4 against poatan sooner rather than later.

At any second of any fight there's a chance that someone gets ko'd and never fully recovers from it, yet fighting is still legal and every day multiple fighters get cuncussed in fights or sparring.

Since the risk is always there I would say the criteria should consider the guy's chance to win the fight and how big the fight is.
The Hooker fight was a late stoppage even though the guy was barely hurt but since he didn't have much of a chance to win either way, the fight should ha been stopped.

On the 5th round of a title fight you give the fighter more of a chance to recover, especially when he's ahead, Oliviera was more hurt than Izzy in his fight against Chandler, Jiri was more hurt against Glover, hell Jiri got briefly knocked out by a Reyes upkick and no one even noticed.
Dubious Handles
Sixth Man
And1: 3,975

Post#119 » by Dubious Handles » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:49 pm

Some people arguing it was an early stoppage??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly not worth engaging with them. The stoppage is non-debatable to a person with a set of functioning eyeballs and zero/minimal bias.
_NoMas
Pro Prospect
And1: 947

Post#120 » by _NoMas » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:56 pm

Reeko wrote:
_NoMas wrote:Any half decent wrestler will make easy work of Periera. Khamzat would have an easy night against that basic a style

If he actually used his wrestling. Khamzat is just as likely to try to stand with Pereira.

Yeah He’s defo not all there in the head. But surely even khamzat can’t be stupid enough to trade with a 220 pound striking monster. Take him down and tap him out quick time!

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts