REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Re: UFC 246 (1/18) - Conor Vs Cowboy 

Post#122 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Some fighters, especially strikers, have a weird complex when it comes to grappling. Like it doesn't count unless you bang bros.

Literally in the last few weeks:
* Conor make some stupid comment about how he actually fights while Khabib just tries to grab legs.
* Masvidal said something about Usman just driving his head into a guy's crotch. (Just trolling I'm sure.)
* de Randamie said that Nunes didn't "actually fight" her.
* I saw Wilder made some comment this weekend about how in boxing "you have to be a man and stand".

Just on and on and on with the theme being "who cares if you choked me or controlled me if we didn't bang". Completely discounting the fact that e.g., if there wasn't a ref in there to pull Khabib off Conor, CM would literally be a corpse right now. Or not, just depends on the mood Khabib was in that day I guess.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,202

Post#123 » by duppyy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Some fighters, especially strikers, have a weird complex when it comes to grappling. Like it doesn't count unless you bang bros.

* Conor make some stupid comment about how he actually fights while Khabib just tries to grab legs.
* Masvidal said something about Usman just driving his head into a guy's crotch. (Just trolling I'm sure.)
* I saw Wilder made some comment this weekend about how in boxing "you have to be a man and stand".

Just on and on and on with the theme being "who cares if you choked me or controlled me if we didn't bang". Completely discounting the fact that e.g., if there wasn't a ref in there to pull Khabib off Conor, CM would literally be a corpse right now. Or not, just depends on the mood Khabib was in that day I guess.

They like to call themselves MMA fighters but complain when other mma fighters exploit their weakest martial art.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#124 » by Susan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 pm

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#125 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:20 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

I've seen countless grapplers admit that they don't want to get hit. They chose BJJ because they didn't think they could handle being punched and they're terrified of hard sparring.

That's not Khabib's case, obviously, or the case for any MMA fighter. And Conor in the case of his last two RNC's specifically turtled after sustaining strikes. But it's the case for many exclusive grapplers. And that is cowardly in all the ways described.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#126 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:24 pm

duppyy wrote:
REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

They like to call themselves MMA fighters but complain when other mma fighters exploit their weakest martial art.

Agreed. They want to be the big fish in the little pond as the one with the striking advantage. Then insist that people conform to that art? Go fight kickboxing or boxing, if that's what you want.
Susan
RealGM

Post#127 » by Susan » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:44 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
duppyy wrote:
REDDzone wrote:

Agreed. They want to be the big fish in the little pond as the one with the striking advantage. Then insist that people conform to that art? Go fight kickboxing or boxing, if that's what you want.

Or just stick to boxing old men in bars.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#128 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:13 am

cowboyronnie wrote:I've seen countless grapplers admit that they don't want to get hit. They chose BJJ because they didn't think they could handle being punched and they're terrified of hard sparring.

That's not Khabib's case, obviously, or the case for any MMA fighter. And Conor in the case of his last two RNC's specifically turtled after sustaining strikes. But it's the case for many exclusive grapplers. And that is cowardly in all the ways described.

Cowardly in all WHAT ways described? All the quotes in my post where in reference to MMA fighters. So you basically just went out of your way to call all pure grapplers cowards despite it being irrelevant to my post. What about people that don't train any martial art, cowards too, I'm guessing? Gordon Ryan...coward. Jordan Burroughs...coward. Some random hobbyist who bangs with bros in the gym for free...hero.

It's not cowardly to avoid head shots and hard sparring, it's smart. Don't tell me you take headshots despite being a hobbyist boxer.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#129 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:16 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Agreed. They want to be the big fish in the little pond as the one with the striking advantage. Then insist that people conform to that art? Go fight kickboxing or boxing, if that's what you want.

You're not a fan of his, but this is one reason why I like Adesanya. He said that even if he became the best kickboxer on the planet, he knew he wouldn't be the best fighter and he couldn't live with the thought that someone out there could kick his *ss, so he made the switch to MMA.

Obviously that is all a paraphrase.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#130 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:13 am

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:I've seen countless grapplers admit that they don't want to get hit. They chose BJJ because they didn't think they could handle being punched and they're terrified of hard sparring.

Cowardly in all WHAT ways described? All the quotes in my post where in reference to MMA fighters. So you basically just went out of your way to call all pure grapplers cowards despite it being irrelevant to my post. What about people that don't train any martial art, cowards too, I'm guessing? Gordon Ryan...coward. Jordan Burroughs...coward. Some random hobbyist who bangs with bros in the gym for free...hero.

It's not cowardly to avoid head shots and hard sparring, it's smart. Don't tell me you take headshots despite being a hobbyist boxer.

Your logic is all over the place. Avoiding striking because it's fear-provoking is cowardly. Adverb. By definition. That doesn't make anyone who doesn't do a striking sport or a sport with striking a coward or without courage.

I did not call anyone a coward (or a hero), in short.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#131 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:21 am

But, also, I see your point. I was taking a cheap shot.

Mocking Pettis isn't fun any longer, I needed a new target. I misfired. Sorry.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#132 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:23 am

Just watched the prelims. Damn. That's where the action was. The Elliott fight was awesome. Don't underestimate how hard it is to land those strikes moving backwards as his opponent did. Crazy understanding of angles and precision.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#133 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:57 am

cowboyronnie wrote:Your logic is all over the place. Avoiding striking because it's fear-provoking is cowardly. Adverb. By definition. That doesn't make anyone who doesn't do a striking sport or a sport with striking a coward or without courage.

I did not call anyone a coward (or a hero), in short.

Maybe this is a semantics issue. I see cowardice as something having a more negative connotation than just feeling fear about something. Lots of actual MMA fighters are fearful of the fight for a whole host of reasons but I wouldn't call that cowardly, personally.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,935

Post#134 » by Jasen777 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:34 am

REDDzone wrote:Literally in the last few weeks:

Raquel Pennington releases UFC 246 statement: ‘I wanted to fight, not be hugged’
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#135 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:07 pm

As wrong as they are, there is a big degree of difference between people that grapple like Khabib, and grapplers that literally hold you against the fence and do nothing, or throw pitter patter stuff to score points but don't really do any damage at all.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#136 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:21 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:As wrong as they are, there is a big degree of difference between people that grapple like Khabib, and grapplers that literally hold you against the fence and do nothing, or throw pitter patter stuff to score points but don't really do any damage at all.

That's fair, which is why I didn't add that Pennington quote tbh. I didn't really watch that fight, so I have no idea if her complaint has merit. Whereas the claim that Khabib just "holds legs" is obviously delusional.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#137 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:47 pm

Ariel asked Conor's coach what he wanted next...he said Justin Gaethje at 170. Basically so two 155ers could fight each other without cutting weight as a number one contender style fight at 155.

I really hope this isn't the route we are going down. Fights with implications in one division taking place in another division.

It would make more sense to me to just remove the trash divisions (men's 125 and women's 145) and add 165 and then replace 170 with 175. Still not sure if that would help.
Susan
RealGM

Post#138 » by Susan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:32 pm

REDDzone wrote:Ariel asked Conor's coach what he wanted next...he said Justin Gaethje at 170. Basically so two 155ers could fight each other without cutting weight as a number one contender style fight at 155.

I really hope this isn't the route we are going down. Fights with implications in one division taking place in another division.

It would make more sense to me to just remove the trash divisions (men's 125 and women's 145) and add 165 and then replace 170 with 175. Still not sure if that would help.

I think it's a good move to be anti-weight cutting but Conor fighting Justin at 170 is BS because Justin barely cuts to 155.

Conor has been calling out little/weak dudes for a minute. He was calling out Frankie when we all know Frankie has nothing for him these days. Asking Justin to go to 170 when he's a small 155er is lame.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#139 » by REDDzone » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 pm

Susan wrote:I think it's a good move to be anti-weight cutting but Conor fighting Justin at 170 is BS because Justin barely cuts to 155.

Conor has been calling out little/weak dudes for a minute. He was calling out Frankie when we all know Frankie has nothing for him these days. Asking Justin to go to 170 when he's a small 155er is lame.

He hasn't asked Justin to go to 170. I was posting what his coach said his own preference would be. I doubt Conor would hold much of a size advantage over Gaethje.

Also, he called out everyone from Masvidal to Cowboy to Frankie to Gaethje to Nate to Usman and more during his hiatus. That's his M.O., have a lot of options for fights at all times. There's no pattern of him calling out smaller guys, come on.
Susan
RealGM

Post#140 » by Susan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:53 am

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:I think it's a good move to be anti-weight cutting but Conor fighting Justin at 170 is BS because Justin barely cuts to 155.

He hasn't asked Justin to go to 170. I was posting what his coach said his own preference would be. I doubt Conor would hold much of a size advantage over Gaethje.

Also, he called out everyone from Masvidal to Cowboy to Frankie to Gaethje to Nate to Usman and more during his hiatus. That's his M.O., have a lot of options for fights at all times. There's no pattern of him calling out smaller guys, come on.

He was talking about Frankie a lot, they wanted Justin at 170 and Cowboy is washed. Frankie should be a 135er, the talk between him and Conor just didn't make sense to me.

Honestly, the one Conor fight that nobody has really mentioned that I really want to see is Colby.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts