OT- Khabib, Tony fight going on as planned?

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: OT- Khabib, Tony fight going on as planned? 

Post#121 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:03 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:In these controlled environments, the risk can be significantly reduced. Frankly, I don't see how it would be much riskier than going to the grocery store, which we pretty much all are doing.

A major difference of course is that we have to eat. We don't have to watch MMA.

Ok so only grocery shopping allowed for the next 12-24 months. Got it.

I'm honestly pretty surprised MMA fans out of all people would be so irrationally scared.

Anyways, I'm glad Dana is trying his ass off to make these events happen. So are most fighters. Just listened to Bisping on a podcast railing against MMA journalists for gloating about the event cancellation.

LOL get off it. That doesn't follow, in the least.

Why does the UFC get to be an exception? Why shouldn't every other institution, event, promotoer, and restuarant that is careful get to re-start?

Unless you can explain why, you are simply against any measures at all. Which is a different issue entirely.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#122 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:38 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:LOL get off it. That doesn't follow, in the least.

Why does the UFC get to be an exception? Why shouldn't every other institution, event, promotoer, and restuarant that is careful get to re-start?

Why does UFC get to be an exception? Very simple: because it is in a position to massively reduce health risks to carry out its endeavor. You bring up a counter-example of restaurants. This is a really silly counterargument that unintentionally proves my point. Restaurants are open. They are allowed to do carry-out and delivery. They've just eliminated in house service. This is comparable to the UFC doing events with no crowds and only delivering its product through television.

You bring up other "events." Well every other major sports league is currently coming up with ways to conduct their sports with no fans (NBA in Vegas; MLB in Arizona/Florida/even Japan; NHL in North Dakota). The difference between the UFC and these other leagues is that their operations are much, much larger. A UFC event is way more contained than trying to get 32 pro teams to play a season or post-season. So the UFC has a much easier time getting off the ground to conduct live events with no fans. Yet even those leagues are still attempting to push forward.

Unless you can explain why, you are simply against any measures at all. Which is a different issue entirely.

I just did. It's you (and everyone else here) that can't actually come up with a legitimate reason why the UFC shouldn't hold an event if it's able to test all the participants. Any reason you provide would extend to the entire country until we find a cure or vaccine. Not one of you has been able to contest that yet.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#123 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Because of training, dum dum. They put an onus on the fighters to train, at home, untested in a sport where they sweat, bleed, and spit (cum? I don't know bjj that well...) all over one another. Are they going to pay for complete isolation, including sparring partners and coaches, for entire camps?? The issue woudn't be waht would arise out of events but out of preparation for events.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#124 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:46 pm

Here's Daniel Cormier talking about how he was supposed to call UFC 249 and how he had no issue doing so. Some notable quotes (paraphrasing):

"If the fight went on, it would have worked."

On the precautions the UFC put in place for him: “No one was allowed to go with me. I was told to check into the hotel, get screened and make sure I'm okay, go to the arena, and then leave. In terms of the what they were going to do to protect us, it was crazy. They were going to put me, Rogan, and Anik at different sides of the octagon. I actually felt like I’d be safer at the event than I am anywhere else. Because it’s only people who are okay.”

"It felt like they had taken the right steps to ensure everyone would be okay."

"The fighters want to fight. The trainers and coaches are willing to go with them."

GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#125 » by GetBuLLish » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:49 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Because of training, dum dum. They put an onus on the fighters to train, at home, untested in a sport where they sweat, bleed, and spit (cum? I don't know bjj that well...) all over one another. Are they going to pay for complete isolation, including sparring partners and coaches, for entire camps?? The issue woudn't be waht would arise out of events but out of preparation for events.

Ok so the event is okay. The preparation is your concern.

That's valid, but fighters have to abide by whatever protocols are in place wherever they live. So yeah, that might mean that fighters are going into fights rusty since they can't do their normal training. But that's a fighter's concern. And if the fighters and their coaches don't mind fighting under those circumstances, why should anyone else?
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#126 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 4, 2020 12:59 am

GetBuLLish wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Because of training, dum dum. They put an onus on the fighters to train, at home, untested in a sport where they sweat, bleed, and spit (cum? I don't know bjj that well...) all over one another. Are they going to pay for complete isolation, including sparring partners and coaches, for entire camps?? The issue woudn't be waht would arise out of events but out of preparation for events.

Ok so the event is okay. The preparation is your concern.

That's valid, but fighters have to abide by whatever protocols are in place wherever they live. So yeah, that might mean that fighters are going into fights rusty since they can't do their normal training. But that's a fighter's concern. And if the fighters and their coaches don't mind fighting under those circumstances, why should anyone else?

Listening to JG describe his camp. Interview with Dan Hardy. Not one thing about Covid has disrupted his training, it's "no different" than any previous camp. They simply try to keep less than 10 people in the gym at a time (no problem: it's a private gym anyways, he says). But the exact same amount of coaching, mitt work, grappling, drills and sparring. Nothing different.

Also, they're taking public planes into public airports, etc.

JG's logic is that he'd rather die of Covid in camp than in the cage against Tony, so he's unconcerned (where concern is concern for his own well-being). Preparing as usual.

This is why "anyone else" should mind.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts