Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Re: Non-threadworthy MMA Rumors/Quotes/Tweets/Etc., Vol. 5 

Post#1881 » by Susan » Wed Mar 2, 2022 6:08 pm

Susan wrote:
REDDzone wrote:WAT

"Cain Velasquez reportedly faces attempted murder charge for alleged shooting incident in San Jose"

Cain Velasquez reportedly has been arrested and charged with attempted murder after an alleged shooting incident that occurred Monday afternoon in San Jose, Calif., according to TMZ on Tuesday.

According to online records, former UFC heavyweight champion Velasquez was being held without bail at the Santa Clara County Jail. NBC Bay Area first reported his alleged involvement in the incident.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/3/1/22956086/cain-velasquez-reportedly-faces-attempted-murder-charge-for-alleged-shooting-incident-in-san-jose

Not a good day for him.

Velasquez was booked into the Santa Clara County main jail on Monday for attempted murder after he allegedly shot at a man who was recently accused of molesting a relative possibly “100 times,” according to reports. The relative is believed to be a minor. Velasquez injured the alleged abuser’s stepfather in the shooting.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/free-cain-velasquez-attempted-murder-shooting-fighters-support
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#1882 » by REDDzone » Wed Mar 2, 2022 7:07 pm

^^^Thanks for posting. I saw that claim yesterday but it was made by FrontRowBrian so I figured I'd await a better source lmao.

Honestly I figured it was something like that when I saw that he was smiling in his mugshot. No ragrets.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#1883 » by Headliner » Wed Mar 2, 2022 7:30 pm

Jesus, allegedly it was his 4 year son, and a 47(?) year old man who’s mother ran a day care he was at.

Kill the bastard. Sex and violence charges against children should have the highest punishments.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#1884 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 12:58 am

I don't know what Cain is smiling about.

That son is at home without a father (and will be for some time), in incredible need of comfort. There's now utter chaos around him. Every person that kid knows will know what happened to him, and everyone who will ever know him can find out.

Cain didn't even kill the guy.

So literally nothing came from this other than a magnification of his son's pain.

The state should kill the guy, absolutely. But it's a mistake to try (and fail) to do it yourself.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#1885 » by Dupp » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:53 am

Yeah everyone saying he did the right thing are crazy. The child is without a father. Not to mention he shot the wrong person
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1886 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:20 pm

That the guy had already been arrested/charged, that Cain engaged in a high-speed chase and fired off many rounds in the street, that he hit someone unrelated to the molestation...he's going away for a long time. There's no way he doesn't do a massive amount of prison time. When this kid's moving into his freshman dorm, and others ask where his dad is, the kid's going to have to somehow evade answering that his dad's in prison (and why).

I understand why Cain would do this, obviously. You'd be overcome with murderous rage. But for everyone on the internet to be lauding this, like it was a good thing, is ridiculous.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1887 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:27 pm

This is actually the perfect example of why it's NOT okay to engage in this type of vigilantism. He got the wrong guy and endangered tons of other people going after the right guy. You understand the sentiment but you just can't do it.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1888 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:04 pm

It's seriously a teaching moment. It should me a mantra in every father's life to avoid confrontation as best as we possibly can. A couple months ago, some complete **** starting harassing me on my walk home from the bus. He was just some skinny ****, I could ruin him in a blink. And he was a serious prick, he followed me down my street, calling me horrible things. I opted to actually just jog home. Originally, I had turned and menaced the dude. I stepped towards him. But then decided that laying out some guy in front of a bunch of people and their cell phone cameras was a bad idea. My wife, rightly, was upset with me for even having turned towards the guy. She had no time for it, or my pride. She, rightly, noted that I should have just put my head down and run home. That's not a fraction of what Cain experienced, I totally get it. Not even on the map. But it's surely important to remind yourself continually that that you just need to get home to your kids, who need you whole and sound. That might help you avoid the most destructive outcomes. God forbid, you ever have to face what Cain did.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1889 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:05 pm

Also, advocate for capital punishment for anyone who hurts children. They're done.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1890 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:15 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:It's seriously a teaching moment. It should me a mantra in every father's life to avoid confrontation as best as we possibly can. A couple months ago, some complete **** starting harassing me on my walk home from the bus. He was just some skinny ****, I could ruin him in a blink. And he was a serious prick, he followed me down my street, calling me horrible things. I opted to actually just jog home. Originally, I had turned and menaced the dude. I stepped towards him. But then decided that laying out some guy in front of a bunch of people and their cell phone cameras was a bad idea. My wife, rightly, was upset with me for even having turned towards the guy. She had no time for it, or my pride. She, rightly, noted that I should have just put my head down and run home. That's not a fraction of what Cain experienced, I totally get it. Not even on the map. But it's surely important to remind yourself continually that that you just need to get home to your kids, who need you whole and sound. That might help you avoid the most destructive outcomes. God forbid, you ever have to face what Cain did.

Why did he come at you to begin with?
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,977

Post#1891 » by jc23 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 4:43 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:I don't know what Cain is smiling about.

That son is at home without a father (and will be for some time), in incredible need of comfort. There's now utter chaos around him. Every person that kid knows will know what happened to him, and everyone who will ever know him can find out.

So literally nothing came from this other than a magnification of his son's pain.

The state should kill the guy, absolutely. But it's a mistake to try (and fail) to do it yourself.

dont have kids but its easy understand how he momentarily lost his mind. State **** up by even letting the guy walk the streets, your basically daring a father to commit a crime.
Be curious, Not judgmental
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1892 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 6:07 pm

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:It's seriously a teaching moment. It should me a mantra in every father's life to avoid confrontation as best as we possibly can. A couple months ago, some complete **** starting harassing me on my walk home from the bus. He was just some skinny ****, I could ruin him in a blink. And he was a serious prick, he followed me down my street, calling me horrible things. I opted to actually just jog home. Originally, I had turned and menaced the dude. I stepped towards him. But then decided that laying out some guy in front of a bunch of people and their cell phone cameras was a bad idea. My wife, rightly, was upset with me for even having turned towards the guy. She had no time for it, or my pride. She, rightly, noted that I should have just put my head down and run home. That's not a fraction of what Cain experienced, I totally get it. Not even on the map. But it's surely important to remind yourself continually that that you just need to get home to your kids, who need you whole and sound. That might help you avoid the most destructive outcomes. God forbid, you ever have to face what Cain did.

I don't know. I remember making eye contact with the guy while I was waiting for a take-out sandwich inside a shop. I go outside a couple minutes later, he's waiting for me, says, "what's up fa**ot?" Then he just followed me home shouting after me.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1893 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 6:09 pm

jc23 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:I don't know what Cain is smiling about.

dont have kids but its easy understand how he momentarily lost his mind. State **** up by even letting the guy walk the streets, your basically daring a father to commit a crime.

I totally agree. And I'm all for violent punishment. If it were actually the wild west, legally-speaking, I'd be happy if Cain killed him. But it's not, and the consequences are now all borne by Cain's kid.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#1894 » by Susan » Thu Mar 3, 2022 8:21 pm

REDDzone wrote:

He knew he didn't know how to grapple.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1895 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 3, 2022 8:37 pm

LOL. I hate that it's true.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1896 » by gigantes » Wed Mar 9, 2022 7:19 pm

Headliner wrote:Jesus, allegedly it was his 4 year son, and a 47(?) year old man who’s mother ran a day care he was at.

Kill the bastard. Sex and violence charges against children should have the highest punishments.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-bader-discloses-cain-velasquez-033214457.html

Wow. Cain's premeditated actions don't help, but otherwise this has to make for one of the best "temporary insanity" defenses I could possibly imagine.

I'm no lawyer, but I could see Cain potentially avoiding prison (or getting a light term) and doing a variety of mental health and community service work, instead.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#1897 » by REDDzone » Wed Mar 9, 2022 7:40 pm

F*ck man, I teared up reading that. As a father of a 4 year old and a 6 year old, it makes me so angry and sad.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,937

Post#1898 » by Jasen777 » Wed Mar 9, 2022 9:01 pm

gigantes wrote:
Headliner wrote:Jesus, allegedly it was his 4 year son, and a 47(?) year old man who’s mother ran a day care he was at.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-bader-discloses-cain-velasquez-033214457.html

Wow. Cain's premeditated actions don't help, but otherwise this has to make for one of the best "temporary insanity" defenses I could possibly imagine.

I'm no lawyer, but I could see Cain potentially avoiding prison (or getting a light term) and doing a variety of mental health and community service work, instead.

Avoiding prison seems like a bit much to me, but I certainly think any prosecutor would want to plead this one out. It'd probably be tough to get a jury to convict him.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#1899 » by gigantes » Wed Mar 9, 2022 9:32 pm

REDDzone wrote:F*ck man, I teared up reading that. As a father of a 4 year old and a 6 year old, it makes me so angry and sad.
Jasen777 wrote:Avoiding prison seems like a bit much to me, but I certainly think any prosecutor would want to plead this one out. It'd probably be tough to get a jury to convict him.

Hard to imagine a dry eye in the house if his lawyer puts him on the stand.

You'd only need Cain to tell his side of the story. Talking about how he entrusted his 4yo son to the daycare, and how they betrayed him by molesting the boy repeatedly... only later, after repeated incidents do he & his wife figure it out, making Cain feel helpless with rage & frustration that he couldn't protect his son. Something like that, anyway.

I can't even begin to imagine how outraged the average jury would feel, plus bonus pts for the system letting the guy get away with it in the first place, then letting him walk afterwards.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#1900 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:25 pm

I'm not going to read through the link, as it sounds horrifying. I'm hoping this plea works. We can all imagine how gripping those emotions are. But I can't imagine they let him walk scot free, as it would seem to promote vigilantism. Maybe there's enough political pressure here to really make it a token sentence, though the 'innocent' (legally) dude getting shot can't help.

I'm confused why people keep mentioning the kid's exact relation to Cain, identifying him. I guess they think public sympathy for Cain trumps the kid's privacy (and future privacy)...?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts