Kimbo Slice on CBS - Who's watching?

Moderator: lilfishi22

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,307

Post#21 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:33 am

Basketball_Jones wrote:Thompson is supposed to have a glass jaw, yet he took huge punches to the head and never dropped. He must have injected something into that ear of his in order to do it. It was almost like watching a superhero fighting a villain. This time the villain had a secret power stone in his ear giving him super chin, and Kimbo had to burst the power source (ear) in order to win.

Anyways, any half decent fighter would have destroyed Kimbo on the ground. It was like watching two whales on the shore of a beach. This was possibly the best/worst fight I have ever seen. Awesome!

Was thinking the same.

The girl fight was the best one of the night. Had the next one not ended on some BS eye injury that could have beaten it. I thought Smith had the momentum.

That was the first I'd seen or heard of Slice. I don't see what the fuss is about.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#22 » by Buck You » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:34 am

DrugBust wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Was thinking the same.

The girl fight was the best one of the night. Had the next one not ended on some BS eye injury that could have beaten it. I thought Smith had the momentum.

That was the first I'd seen or heard of Slice. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Watch this, especially the end. Look what he does to this guys eye. http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOpXdexXprQ Keep in mind that he does this with one punch.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#23 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jun 1, 2008 6:02 am

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Watch this, especially the end. Look what he does to this guys eye. http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOpXdexXprQ Keep in mind that he does this with one punch.

That's supposed to be impressive?

*spoiler*

No, it's not.

Slice is a joke.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
ShaqSlamsU
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#24 » by ShaqSlamsU » Sun Jun 1, 2008 3:26 pm

Kimbo is getting old i think, didn't expect that at all from this fight.

Thompson didn't have enough strength in the fight, if he worked on his conditioning he'd have finished it on the ground fast.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Buck You » Sun Jun 1, 2008 3:27 pm

[quote="Basketball Jesus"][/quote]
Did you see the guys eye? He did that with one punch! Once Kimbo gets his ground game going with his punching power he'll be unstoppable.
harding156
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#26 » by harding156 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 4:30 pm

Kimbo is done and the EliteXC is done. Dana White said they were a joke and apparently he was right. When you rig a fight, like they did the Kimbo fight, you're finished. An established league could overcome it, but not an upstart league like EliteXC. And I thought it couldn't get any worse after the botched Lawler/Smith fight.

The only people that have any faith in the EliteXC lasting are the people that are obsessed with Kimbo's old washed up ass. And it doesn't even matter if he was good because he doesn't have anyone good to fight. If they can get the "Kimbo vs Tyson" rumor to come true that will keep them alive a little longer, but it's just another gimmick fight and wont actually bring any fans for the long haul.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#27 » by Flash3 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 4:31 pm

What does MMA stand for?

And, who in the hell is Kimbo Slice?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#28 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jun 1, 2008 4:46 pm

Moving this to Other Sports forum
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Buck You » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:30 pm

Flash3 wrote:What does MMA stand for?

And, who in the hell is Kimbo Slice?

Mixed martial arts.

That's Kimbo Slice. He was a street fighter and got famous through youtube.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,848

Post#30 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Jun 1, 2008 5:34 pm

I gotta admit, that ref had a couple of questionable calls that fight. He told them to stand up after about 20 seconds on the ground where Thompson was elbowing Kimbo, then that stoppage. Kimbo would have lost the decision so I'm guessing the ref had to find any way to jump in and stop the fight. Anyways, Cung Le is probably the best and perhaps only reason to watch Elite XC.
mattlanta
Senior
And1: 1

Post#31 » by mattlanta » Sun Jun 1, 2008 7:28 pm

I think Kimbo's a little over-rated and media hyped. He's got an amazingly strong strike, but I still think he'd get his ass kicked if he played in UFC.
ATLfan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#32 » by ATLfan » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:06 pm

This was only Kimbo's 3rd MMA fight so he should only get better but his ground game needs a lot of work if he's ever going to do anything big. Is CBS going to do more Saturday Fight Night's???
kidd0701
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by kidd0701 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm a casual MMA watcher, and was impressed with most of the fights... However Kimbo was all hype, and not worth really headlining a fight. Can someone explain the difference between the UFC, EliteXC and WEC? Is it just different leagues? Sort of like European Soccer? I hope CBS does this again. In my opinion MMA and Boxing would be much more popular in today's sports world if the best events were not on PPV
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,235

Post#34 » by RalphWiggum » Sun Jun 1, 2008 8:16 pm

Did you see the guys eye? He did that with one punch! Once Kimbo gets his ground game going with his punching power he'll be unstoppable.
Unstoppable? Thats pure gold!

For the most part Kimbo got the crap beat out of him by a guy who isn't even a decent fighter. His punching power which you praised did not impress me at all. Kimbo landed quite a few clean punches and even a couple 4-5 punch combos and couldn't knock out a guy that has been K.O'd in dramatic fashion in his last two fights against marginal fighters. What I was impressed with was Kimbo's determination, he could have quit a few times but he pushed through and showed a lot of heart. Unfortunately all the heart in the world is not going to matter if he ever fights a top 25 fighter, he just doesn't have the talent or natural strength to compete against a good heavyweight.

This wasn't meant to be a crack on Kimbo thread, he seems to be saying the right things and putting in the work to become a better MMA fighter which I respect. I wish him nothing but the best in his MMA career but anyone who thinks he will be anything more then a circus MMA fighter does not understand fighting at the highest levels. If he had got into this 6-7 years ago he'd have an outside shot at being a credible fighter, at this stage of the game he has no shot...NONE!
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Post#35 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jun 1, 2008 9:10 pm

Kimbo Slice is to MMA what Butterbean is to boxing.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,771

Post#36 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 9:48 pm

EliteXC was everything bad about boxing brought over to MMA. Fixed fights, bad stoppages, protected moneymakers, and 3rd rate talent. I hope the first timers realize this is not the best MMA has to offer.

Gary Shaw and Kimbo Slice are both jokes.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,486

Post#37 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jun 1, 2008 10:08 pm

Cammo101 wrote:EliteXC was everything bad about boxing brought over to MMA. Fixed fights, bad stoppages, protected moneymakers, and 3rd rate talent. I hope the first timers realize this is not the best MMA has to offer.

Gary Shaw and Kimbo Slice are both jokes.

In my opinion Shaw is a terrible promoter period. He had three fight of the year fights with Rafael Marquez vs Israel Vazquez. They were epic fights but he had a hard time getting people to attend the shows and had the fights on Showtime(significantly smaller reach and money) instead of HBO. You are correct by using the word 3rd rate... Shaw has hurt the combat sports more than help it.
fc_dinamo
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by fc_dinamo » Sun Jun 1, 2008 11:02 pm

Ya but dude, that guy in the video is some guy from his hood...so is everyone that Kimbo fights...hence his reputation as a street fighter...except for that cop from Boston, who beat him...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,771

Post#39 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jun 1, 2008 11:07 pm

Chuck Lidell said it best...

"I was winning titles while he was beating up homeless people in Taco Bell parking lots"
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,604

Post#40 » by BigUps » Mon Jun 2, 2008 12:30 am

This article sums up my feelings. I'm happy Kimbo is making his money, but by no means is he or Elite any good.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=A ... ;type=lgns

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts