The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: The OFFICIAL Paul Brothers Boxing Thread 

Post#41 » by jake_swivel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:35 am

I've never endured so much music I didn't like to get to watch a fight that mattered so little.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#42 » by jake_swivel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:41 am

Heh, Buffer called him Ben Askew. High quality.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,942

Post#43 » by Jasen777 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:48 am

Oh well.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,317

Post#44 » by Reeko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:53 am

Askren just embarrassed the entire MMA community with that performance. Unbelievable.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
jake_swivel
Bench Warmer

Post#45 » by jake_swivel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:55 am

Reeko wrote:Askren just embarrassed the entire MMA community with that performance. Unbelievable.

I mean, not really. Paul just beat maybe one of the worst strikers in modern MMA in a boxing match. The MMA community should be as embarrassed as the boxing community was when James Toney got outwrestled by Randy Couture. So not much.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#46 » by Reeko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:07 am

jake_swivel wrote:
Reeko wrote:Askren just embarrassed the entire MMA community with that performance. Unbelievable.

I mean, not really. Paul just beat maybe one of the worst strikers in modern MMA in a boxing match. The MMA community should be as embarrassed as the boxing community was when James Toney got outwrestled by Randy Couture. So not much.

Completely different. James Toney fought and lost to a veteran MMA fighter and champion in Randy Couture. Ben has been training MMA for over a decade, he may very well be one of the worst strikers but he's still been training striking for that time, and yet he lost to a Youtuber who's been training in boxing for 3 years. So, yes so much.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#47 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:23 am

Missed it but dude looked in great shape :uhoh:
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,995

Post#48 » by Los_29 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 am

jake_swivel wrote:

Yeah, both aren't embarrassing. Like you said, Askren was never good on the feet. He was an unbelievable wrestler who was very effective at getting people to the ground. Askren is also in his late 30's and has quite a bit of wear and tear on his body. Toney was also way out of his prime and was fighting in a division well above his natural weight class. He started his career at 160lbs.

And also, very early stoppage in my opinion. Not saying it would've made a difference but at least it would've given Askren a bit more time in there.

I think Paul beats Danis then he will fight someone from MMA that is actually good on the feet and will be in trouble.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#49 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 am

Just read it was a first round KO. Guess bens meme stocks just rose.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#50 » by Reeko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:26 am

Dupp wrote:

Missed it but dude looked in great shape :uhoh:

Dad bod does not begin to describe the shape he was in.
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#51 » by Reeko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 am

Los_29 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Yeah, both aren't embarrassing. Like you said, Askren was never good on the feet. He was an unbelievable wrestler who was very effective at getting people to the ground. Askren is also in his late 30's and has quite a bit of wear and tear on his body. Toney was also way out of his prime and was fighting in a division well above his natural weight class. He started his career at 160lbs.

And also, very early stoppage in my opinion. Not saying it would've made a difference but at least it would've given Askren a bit more time in there.

I think Paul beats Danis then he will fight someone from MMA that is actually good on the feet and will be in trouble.

Toney losing to Couture is not embarrassing, Askren getting knocked out by Jake Paul in the first round is absolutely embarrassing.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#52 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:28 am

Looked like a weak stoppage. Was there many exchanges?

Why was there a robot there?
Los_29
RealGM
And1: 11,995

Post#53 » by Los_29 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:34 am

Reeko wrote:
Los_29 wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Toney losing to Couture is not embarrassing, Askren getting knocked out by Jake Paul in the first round is absolutely embarrassing.

Yeah but I think people are sleeping on Paul and his boxing ability. He clearly has some skills and has been taking it seriously for 3-4 years now.

It's a combat sport. Anything can happen and Ben was far out of his prime. It is pretty amazing that he's taken shots from killers like Koreshkov, Lima and Lawler but got dropped by Paul.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,942

Post#54 » by Jasen777 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:36 am

Los_29 wrote:It's a combat sport. Anything can happen and Ben was far out of his prime. It is pretty amazing that he's taken shots from killers like Koreshkov, Lima and Lawler but got dropped by Paul.

I wonder why the ref stopped it. Askren looked recovered...
Dupp
RealGM

Post#55 » by Dupp » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:39 am

Jasen777 wrote:
Los_29 wrote:It's a combat sport. Anything can happen and Ben was far out of his prime. It is pretty amazing that he's taken shots from killers like Koreshkov, Lima and Lawler but got dropped by Paul.

More reason why boxing sucks
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors

Post#56 » by Reeko » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:40 am

Los_29 wrote:
Reeko wrote:
Los_29 wrote:

Yeah but I think people are sleeping on Paul and his boxing ability. He clearly has some skills and has been taking it seriously for 3-4 years now.

It's a combat sport. Anything can happen and Ben was far out of his prime. It is pretty amazing that he's taken shots from killers like Koreshkov, Lima and Lawler but got dropped by Paul.

I'm not taking anything away from Paul, but he is not some prodigious boxing talent. I say that it's embarrassing for the MMA community because there are casuals out there that don't know who Ben Askren is or how he fights and now they'll be saying that Jake Paul knocked out a legit (former) MMA fighter out in the 1st round. It makes MMA look bad. You're looking at it contextually, but a lot of people who saw this fight aren't going to see it in any sort of context.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#57 » by Susan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:54 am

Ben did his job - the amount of publicity he did to sell this fight was absurd. He didn't give a **** about boxing during his mma career and you really can't learn that much in 3 months (especially when Ben is a bad fit athletically for Boxing). Ben got paid massively without taking a full on KO and Paul will continue to do his **** in this sport.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#58 » by Headliner » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:44 am

No Paul fan, and beating Askren in boxing is similar to beating your highschool gym teacher, but it does give him sommmmmmmeeeee legitimacy, due to Askren at least being in the world of pro fighting and having trained stand up (but did he?)

Danis should be his target because of the association to Conor and it allows him to enter that world and work towards that match. Conor might even be in the arena fight night.

Jake isn’t an amazing or great boxer but he’s trained longer than most of the grapplers, he hits hard, so it’s a very smart direction to go.

Good for him, I guess.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#59 » by Susan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:11 pm

lmao

Read on Twitter
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#60 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:22 pm

Jasen777 wrote:

Having an 0-0 record should count in terms of how much rope the ref gives you. I'm fine with this stoppage.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts