The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#481 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:00 pm

I guess I’ll post it here instead of the bellator thread, but I’m just re-watching Rory MacDonald vs. Neiman Gracie, and just quickly reminded why Rory is one of my all time favourites. The BJJ he displayed in that fight was just simply beautiful, his defence against a legit Gracie fighter too... I’m not sure if anyone saw this fight at the time, but it’s so underrated and unappreciated performance from Rory since the whole knock on him is how he isn’t the same fighter and past his prime.

Man, I miss watching Rory compete so much. PFL last I heard, hoping for the best. Rory fan for life !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#482 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:06 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:I guess I’ll post it here instead of the bellator thread, but I’m just re-watching Rory MacDonald vs. Neiman Gracie, and just quickly reminded why Rory is one of my all time favourites. The BJJ he displayed in that fight was just simply beautiful, his defence against a legit Gracie fighter too... I’m not sure if anyone saw this fight at the time, but it’s so underrated and unappreciated performance from Rory since the whole knock on him is how he isn’t the same fighter and past his prime.

Man, I miss watching Rory compete so much. PFL last I heard, hoping for the best. Rory fan for life !!!

Not to rain on the parade at all, as Rory is very very good. But honestly this post made me think of the Mousasi fight. The simple jiu jitsu he displayed vs Rory outstanding. All fundamental too.

A quick rewatch of the ground sequence:
*Crossface to avoid Rory getting under him with the imanari.
*Posture posture posture, forearm across the face to scrape him off and maintain posture when needed.
*Keep your hips higher when opponent goes for up and over sweep.
*Move hips to take away the angle that Rory keeps trying to establish.
*Knee to the mat when Rory opens his guard to force half guard, immediately transition to 3/4 mount with a heavy crossface and then immediately transition to mount by just pushing away Rory's guard.
*Heavyyyyyyyyy mount and destruction ensues.

Literally not one thing there that you don't learn within 6 months of stepping into a jiu jitsu gym and earlier if you have a fundamentals class. Just executed flawlessly.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#483 » by AirCanadaMouse » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:23 pm

REDDzone wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:I guess I’ll post it here instead of the bellator thread, but I’m just re-watching Rory MacDonald vs. Neiman Gracie, and just quickly reminded why Rory is one of my all time favourites. The BJJ he displayed in that fight was just simply beautiful, his defence against a legit Gracie fighter too... I’m not sure if anyone saw this fight at the time, but it’s so underrated and unappreciated performance from Rory since the whole knock on him is how he isn’t the same fighter and past his prime.

Not to rain on the parade at all, as Rory is very very good. But honestly this post made me think of the Mousasi fight. The simple jiu jitsu he displayed vs Rory outstanding. All fundamental too.

A quick rewatch of the ground sequence:
*Crossface to avoid Rory getting under him with the imanari.
*Posture posture posture, forearm across the face to scrape him off and maintain posture when needed.
*Keep your hips higher when opponent goes for up and over sweep.
*Move hips to take away the angle that Rory keeps trying to establish.
*Knee to the mat when Rory opens his guard to force half guard, immediately transition to 3/4 mount with a heavy crossface and then immediately transition to mount by just pushing away Rory's guard.
*Heavyyyyyyyyy mount and destruction ensues.

Literally not one thing there that you don't learn within 6 months of stepping into a jiu jitsu gym and earlier if you have a fundamentals class. Just executed flawlessly.

Wow, beautiful breakdown! Thanks for that, Gegard is another one of my all time favourites, supremely underrated BJJ. Hated that fight because don’t want to see my favourites go at it.

Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#484 » by REDDzone » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:14 pm

Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#485 » by Susan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:06 am

REDDzone wrote:

Bobby is the best.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter

Post#486 » by AirCanadaMouse » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:34 pm

I miss training so much man, I only managed to get to blue but it was so much fun. I was a white belt for the longest time and it was crazy how things just clicked suddenly. Sad part is, my gym has been really struggling during the pandemic so I'm a bit worried about finding a place to train once this all settles down.

It literally took me almost two years just to learn how to shrimp properly where I could keep up with the warm-up line, hahahaha. Good times tho tbh.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#487 » by REDDzone » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:12 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:I miss training so much man, I only managed to get to blue but it was so much fun. I was a white belt for the longest time and it was crazy how things just clicked suddenly. Sad part is, my gym has been really struggling during the pandemic so I'm a bit worried about finding a place to train once this all settles down.

It literally took me almost two years just to learn how to shrimp properly where I could keep up with the warm-up line, hahahaha. Good times tho tbh.

Shrimpin' aint easy.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,140

Post#488 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Hopefully this happens sooner rather than later. But good to see that the ball might finally be starting to roll when it comes to Gordon Ryan making the transition to MMA.

Its becoming pretty clear that BJJ isnt really challenging him anymore. Its been 3 years since he has lost a BJJ match and he has only been subbed once in his career. He is even giving the commentators envelopes prior to his matches and writing down what sub he is going to use to win his matches now.

Very curious when he will actually have a MMA fight for ONE and how he will look.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#489 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 pm

Everyone took that to mean that he's transitioning to MMA (and that's what all the headlines said) but he is still hedging on that. I really don't think its happening.
Susan
RealGM

Post#490 » by Susan » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:36 am

Get him into politics!
Susan
RealGM

Post#491 » by Susan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:52 am

Jordan Burroughs lost the Olympic Trials to Kyle Dake - wonder if he considers MMA now.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#492 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:38 pm

Bo Nickal out of the Olympics as well. Looks like his MMA career will officially begin now.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#493 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:12 am

Susan wrote:Jordan Burroughs lost the Olympic Trials to Kyle Dake - wonder if he considers MMA now.

Dake is such a monster.

It blows my f*cking mind that J'den Cox missed weight. I'm not as big on wrestling, but my understanding is that he was the favorite over Snyder. Plus he had moved up from 86. How do you miss weight? Hopefully his sponsors had an out clause LOL.

Seems like if I would have told you a year ago that neither Burroughs nor Cox would make the Olympic team, you would have called me crazy.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#494 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:14 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Bo Nickal out of the Olympics as well. Looks like his MMA career will officially begin now.

I'm not trying to be cynical but if you listened to Bo leading up to his MMA announcement, I think he knew he wasn't making the Olympic team. Props to him for making it to the finals, but he was shut out in both matches versus David Taylor. I wouldn't be surprised if he quits wrestling and focuses 100% on MMA at this point.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#495 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:34 am

REDDzone wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Bo Nickal out of the Olympics as well. Looks like his MMA career will officially begin now.

I'm not trying to be cynical but if you listened to Bo leading up to his MMA announcement, I think he knew he wasn't making the Olympic team. Props to him for making it to the finals, but he was shut out in both matches versus David Taylor. I wouldn't be surprised if he quits wrestling and focuses 100% on MMA at this point.

Ya I know. He made it pretty clear that the Olympic trials was going to be his last run at wrestling and was going to officially transition after the Olympics run. That is why I said looks like his MMA career is about to officially begin.
Susan
RealGM

Post#496 » by Susan » Sun Aug 7, 2022 2:32 pm

Leandro Lo shot in the head by a cop at a club in Sao Paulo - RIP to one of the legends of the sport.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#497 » by REDDzone » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 pm

So sad. True legend.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#498 » by REDDzone » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:23 pm

Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but for those interested, I received my brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu last weekend.

I remember posting on this board before I even started training over a decade ago and Susan is the one who actually pointed me in the direction of the gym I ended up choosing even though I was intimidated by it. I have since moved on, but it was certainly the best choice for me at the time.

It's been a long road but very much worth it. I encourage anyone to start if you are thinking about making the leap.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,392

Post#499 » by Shaazzam » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:37 pm

REDDzone wrote:Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but for those interested, I received my brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu last weekend.

I remember posting on this board before I even started training over a decade ago and Susan is the one who actually pointed me in the direction of the gym I ended up choosing even though I was intimidated by it. I have since moved on, but it was certainly the best choice for me at the time.

It's been a long road but very much worth it. I encourage anyone to start if you are thinking about making the leap.

That's great man, congrats. Been a decade, eh? We're getting old.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#500 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Sep 4, 2022 2:15 am

REDDzone wrote:Not sure if anyone still reads this thread but for those interested, I received my brown belt in brazilian jiu jitsu last weekend.

Congrats. That's impressive.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts