UFC 247 (2/8) - Jones vs Reyes

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC 247 (2/8) - Jones vs Reyes 

Post#81 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:57 am

lobosloboslobos wrote:just wondering. can the judges hear the announcers talking do you think? because whoever the commentator was last night he spent the whole fight talking about jones and how dominant he was and about how he was doing this and doing that, even when he wasn't doing anything except getting nailed by Reyes. in the 4tth or 5th round - can't remember which, Reyes came out and hit Jones with like 6-7 straight shots and he never mentioned a single one of them. then jones throws a wimply leg kicka dn he starts blathering about how Jones can't be stopped. Just sayin that if the judges had that in their ears all fight long maybe it affected how they saw it?

What fight were you watching?

Dominick Cruz, one of the commentators, was ridiculously complimentary throughout even the 4th and 5th rounds - giving Reyes the benefit of the doubt over and over and complimenting his toughness, cardio, athleticism - despite Reyes clearly being dominated (in those rounds).
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#82 » by Susan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:01 am

Thanks to whoever put me onto this channel!
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#83 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 am

brutalitops wrote:
Kurtz wrote:People continue to be upset by this, but close rounds and close fights always, always go to the champion in the UFC.

Off course the 4-1 judge should be fired immediately.

This

Had Reyes winning 3 rounds, Happy to admit people could of seen the third/4th go either way, 5th was clearly Jones, 1/2 Reyes. Considering Jones is the champion, 3-2 is fair going Jones, Reyes didnt do enough to put him away. Another strong round I would of felt he would of been robbed.

Whole night had **** scores, Someone having Krause losing round 1 is disgusting, Lewis 30-27 all 3 judges was **** off as well and I love Lewis.
t

Having him win either of the next two was just as ridiculous. But one judge gave him a 29-28. The same judge (Patrick someorother) gave Murphy the fight as well. Impossible scores, both of them. The same guy.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#84 » by aggerrard » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:48 am

Nemesis21 wrote:I had it Jones 3-2, rounds 2, 4 and 5.

Same.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#85 » by goodboy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:03 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I just don't feel like Jones gets up for these no name guys(Reyes, Smith, Santos, Gus the first time, etc), no matter how much he says he's taking them seriously. For all the talk about him looking washed going way back, the two rematches where he had a real chip on his shoulder (Cormier and Gus 2), resulted in brutal finishes.

I dunno. I just don't think he approaches lower tier guys with the same fire, in or out of the octagon, and it's going to cost him.

10000000000000000%

Hes only 32, keep in mind when he was battling his legal/personal life problems, they shaved off 2 years or however long he was out for. So hes even fresher. The 3 fights you listed, he seems so bored, aside from his pressuring he really just waits and stalls and calculates like hes trying to coast rounds and win em. Those two "takedowns" he had on Reyes were so meaningless and did nothing to Reyes, but Jones knew he would score points.

I feel IF the rematch happens... (and it should) He will have a similar outcome he did with Gus 2.
Bright
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#86 » by aggerrard » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:I had it 48-47 Jones, super close fight. Jones arguably has lost two in a row, and the decline is real, or roids played a much bigger factor than people would like to admit

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Or maybe he is just facing harder competition. I think he is on a decline aswell, but i also believe the competition is harder. New talents, better trained and prepared for Jones. When he first broke though he beat the generation before him - Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, Machida and Chael. Then he faced 'his' generation - Glover, Gus, Cormier and OSP. Might even throw in Santos and Smith. Now he is facing the generation after him. Jon has been on the top for nine years now. You can say Stipe has been on top for 4 years, but even he got knocked out and lost in that 4 year span. Other than that the longest span right now is Khabib with almost two years as the champ and two title defenses. Jon just had his 15th championship fight in a row, being victorius in all 15. Competition is just getting harder and Jones might be on the decline aswell after 10 years on top.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,180
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#87 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:34 am

of all the names you just named, you think Dominick Reyes is the toughest fight of those guys? jeez.

I think Jon's worst performances have been against the least decorated fighters, and that's not a coincidence.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
brutalitops
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by brutalitops » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:Eh. If they make your opponent wear down, that’s definitely hugely valuable. It’s the one where the take down immediately leads to both guys getting up that really mean nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Agree. Jones taking shots and not doing **** round 2 definately makes him winner of the round
brutalitops
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by brutalitops » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:57 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
brutalitops wrote:
Kurtz wrote:People continue to be upset by this, but close rounds and close fights always, always go to the champion in the UFC.

Off course the 4-1 judge should be fired immediately.

This

Had Reyes winning 3 rounds, Happy to admit people could of seen the third/4th go either way, 5th was clearly Jones, 1/2 Reyes. Considering Jones is the champion, 3-2 is fair going Jones, Reyes didnt do enough to put him away. Another strong round I would of felt he would of been robbed.

Whole night had **** scores, Someone having Krause losing round 1 is disgusting, Lewis 30-27 all 3 judges was **** off as well and I love Lewis.
t

Having him win either of the next two was just as ridiculous. But one judge gave him a 29-28. The same judge (Patrick someorother) gave Murphy the fight as well. Impossible scores, both of them. The same guy.

Right? **** mind blowing.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by brutalitops » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:38 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:of all the names you just named, you think Dominick Reyes is the toughest fight of those guys? jeez.

I think Jon's worst performances have been against the least decorated fighters, and that's not a coincidence.

Reyes is a freak and I've let it be known it was Jones' worst match up, As Reyes footwork and movement was closer to the guy whos pushed Jones the furtherest in Alex Gus. Big lanky powerful guys.

Also Jones hasnt been starching guys for years. Apart from DC and Alex whos he bloodied? hes happy at being methodical and picking apart guys then being a powerhouse. Reyes was high toughest assignment as the gap and the physicality of what you need to be at light heavyweight has changed, As most guys in that division are 6'3" and cutting a heap of weight, You dont have old middleweights in the division anymore as they get shown up hard.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#91 » by REDDzone » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:56 pm

TBH outside of Gus 2, Jones hasn't looked like the same fighter in years. He obviously had a great finish in DC 2 but fought with roids in his system for that fight. Even before that he looked meh against OSP and the fight before that was DC 1, Glover, etc. when obviously he looked great but that was in 2015 pre-USADA.

The good news for Jones is that even not looking the same, he's still better than most in that terrible division. Unless you're one of the guys who thinks he dropped his last two I guess.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#92 » by Headliner » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:26 pm

Jones is a cheater, it's pretty much fact. He's looked like trash in all his non PED fights since USADA.

That said, I still had Jones winning this one. I think people get surprise performance goggles sometimes. When guys get elite fighters in unfavorable circumstances, it means more to the viewer, so when someone surprises us and is doing better than we imagined it's overrides the actual performance. Kinda saw this with Al vs Khabib, and to a lesser degree Hendrix vs GSP, though that was much closer.

I watched the fight after the hoopla and knew the results so i wasn't emotional during it. I gave Jones round 2, Reyes had a little flurry early on that had the crowd gasping, and in the moment I could see viewers thinking that was him taking the round because it was the highpoint of an otherwise non exciting round. But really he wasn't landing anything during it, just had jones backing down and running away. After that, Jones did a pretty good job of out pointing him the rest of the round.

GSP, Jones, the Diaz brothers, they just do an excellent job of loading up on the totals and just getting shots in to get points. It's not all that exciting, and the diaz brothers have used taunting to make it more so, but it's effective.

All in all, it was close, but I think Jones won, so no skin off my back.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,344

Post#93 » by Shaazzam » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:47 pm

Yeah, I had Jones taking 2,4, and 5.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#94 » by aggerrard » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:00 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:of all the names you just named, you think Dominick Reyes is the toughest fight of those guys? jeez.

Yes, i think so. I believe Cormier is the best, but he matches up better for Jones than Reyes. Reyes have shown elite takedown defense, he is fast, great footwork and power.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#95 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 am

goodboy wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I just don't feel like Jones gets up for these no name guys(Reyes, Smith, Santos, Gus the first time, etc), no matter how much he says he's taking them seriously. For all the talk about him looking washed going way back, the two rematches where he had a real chip on his shoulder (Cormier and Gus 2), resulted in brutal finishes.

I dunno. I just don't think he approaches lower tier guys with the same fire, in or out of the octagon, and it's going to cost him.

10000000000000000%

Hes only 32, keep in mind when he was battling his legal/personal life problems, they shaved off 2 years or however long he was out for. So hes even fresher. The 3 fights you listed, he seems so bored, aside from his pressuring he really just waits and stalls and calculates like hes trying to coast rounds and win em. Those two "takedowns" he had on Reyes were so meaningless and did nothing to Reyes, but Jones knew he would score points.

I feel IF the rematch happens... (and it should) He will have a similar outcome he did with Gus 2.

“Only 32” doesn’t matter when you’ve been fighting for a long time. Jose Aldo is “only 33” and he’s been fighting for so long, his knees are shot, you have to see their careers, not their age. Jones has been fighting at the top for over a decade.

Rory MacDonald is “only 30” and he’s not the same, he’s been fighting since he was 17.
Thank you Clutch0z24
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#96 » by AirCanadaMouse » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 am

Yeah I don’t see how anyone can say Reyes is the best fighter Jones has ever faced, he’s not even close to the top. Jones has one of the best resumes in the sport.
Thank you Clutch0z24
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#97 » by goodboy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:15 am

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
goodboy wrote:

10000000000000000%

“Only 32” doesn’t matter when you’ve been fighting for a long time. Jose Aldo is “only 33” and he’s been fighting for so long, his knees are shot, you have to see their careers, not their age. Jones has been fighting at the top for over a decade.

Rory MacDonald is “only 30” and he’s not the same, he’s been fighting since he was 17.

Understandable. But people make out and mention "Reyes, Santos" Or whoever in that age category are the future of the division. When theyre pretty much neck and neck with Jone's age. Sure Jones has been on top for so long which is why hes one of the goats. He can sustain and live being on top of the mountain life style for many years to come. I was just adding the fact that taking x amount of time off does wonders for the body, especially in fighting.
Bright
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#98 » by aggerrard » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:51 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:

Yeah I don’t see how anyone can say Reyes is the best fighter Jones has ever faced, he’s not even close to the top. Jones has one of the best resumes in the sport.

These new competitors are WAY, WAY, WAY tougher and more well-rounded now than the first era Jones ran through with Shogun, Rampage, Belfort, Lyoto, Sonnen and Rashad.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,180
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#99 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:54 pm

TRTor is better than Reyes. So was Lyoto at that point. Rampage was pretty washed at that point.

You're overestimating this evolution thing.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by aggerrard » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:TRTor is better than Reyes. So was Lyoto at that point. Rampage was pretty washed at that point.

You're overestimating this evolution thing.

You don't think Reyes starches those vets Jones fought in his early title run?

Gus is being presented as this ATG that never won a title - Smith beat him and i don't consider Smith one of the best 'new' LHWs.

The middleweight division has for a long time been considered a deep divison with Whittaker, Weidman, Romero, Rockhold, Souza, Gastelum and new faces like Izzy, Costa, Cannonier, Hermansson, Till and Shahbazyan. Weidman and Rockhold both moved up and got KTFO. Souza lost aswell. Whittaker, Cannonier, Gastelum and Till all moved up from WW or down from LHW (Cannonier) and found more success in the middleweight divison with their stuck suddenly rising tremendously. But when Smith and Santos moved up to the LHW division and fought their way to a title shot, it's the LHW divison being trash and not those fighters actually just being way better at 205 compared to 185. And when Weidman, Rockhold and Souza moved and and gets beat, it's them being shot and not the LHW fighters being good. Cannonier couldn't catch a break in the LHW divison, getting knocked out or beat convincingly whenever he faced a ranked opponent. Then he moves down to MW and gets 3 consecutive TKO wins and suddenly he's this new monster in the MW division.

Reyes is the toughest matchup for Jones. Smith, Santos and Reyes are the 3 most powerful guys he have faced in his career - Jones couldn't just move in on them and close the distance like he could when he fought the past-era of opponents. The LHW division is decent and Jones is facing his toughest title run with new contenders emerging.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts