OT- Khabib, Tony fight going on as planned?

Moderator: lilfishi22

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: OT- Khabib, Tony fight going on as planned? 

Post#81 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:52 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:You’re actually bummed out? Even the biggest mma fans shouldn’t want this event produced under any circumstance.

I'm the biggestest + 1, then. Cos I wanted this and all subsequent events.

The only silver lining is that Endeavor is absolutely screwed. LOL. The interest on that insane loan + the money they sunk into attempting to keep this going + losing that gob of ESPN money... Ari must be feeling it. They're done, right?
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#82 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:54 pm

Susan wrote:Read that the UFC's contract with ESPN requires them to run 40 or so events a year to get $750m.

Wonder if they can survive a serious time off.

That's nuts. LOL. No wonder Dana was going to run weekly events. It wasn't to exploit the broadcast market, it was to keep from being drowned.

They might be putting 2 events come August (or whenever).
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#83 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:55 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
AirCanadaMouse wrote:You’re actually bummed out? Even the biggest mma fans shouldn’t want this event produced under any circumstance.

The only silver lining is that Endeavor is absolutely screwed. LOL. The interest on that insane loan + the money they sunk into attempting to keep this going + losing that gob of ESPN money... Ari must be feeling it. They're done, right?

Man I’m honestly super shocked that this your take too, i figured if anyone on this board would agree with me there it would be you. Oh well. You never fail to leave me pondering haha

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Thank you Clutch0z24
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#84 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:05 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:

Man I’m honestly super shocked that this your take too, i figured if anyone on this board would agree with me there it would be you. Oh well. You never fail to leave me pondering haha

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I'm having trouble considering the common good here, I'm not gonna lie. I need something to look forward to rn.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#85 » by Susan » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:11 pm

Read on Twitter

such a ****.
Susan
RealGM

Post#86 » by Susan » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:33 pm

Read on Twitter
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,933

Post#87 » by Jasen777 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:39 pm

Susan wrote:Read that the UFC's contract with ESPN requires them to run 40 or so events a year to get $750m.

Wonder if they can survive a serious time off.

Disney/ESPN insisted it get called off apparently, so they might have an understanding.
Susan
RealGM

Post#88 » by Susan » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:47 pm

https://variety.com/2020/biz/features/coronavirus-talent-agencies-paradigm-uta-icm-wme-1203550908/

These restrictions have left Endeavor the most vulnerable, strapped with $4.6 billion in debt and unable to generate cash from holdings like IMG, which produces global fashion week presentations, and UFC, which stages mixed martial arts events. Add to that financial tornado the withdrawal of the company’s planned public offering last fall, when many senior agents were expecting a stock windfall after delaying compensation for the health of the company. The mounting disasters have sparked rumors that top reps will defect for rivals, in the wake of too many broken promises from Endeavor heads Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell.

$4.6B in debt? Dunno how that plays out but every week without cash has to be frightening for them.
Susan
RealGM

Post#89 » by Susan » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:53 pm

Read on Twitter

TKO
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,045

Post#90 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:46 am

That sucks, that card was looking like an epic card.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#91 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:19 am

MMA media cheering that the card is postponed makes me sick to my stomach. They are the absolute worst of all sports journalists.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#92 » by Jasen777 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:03 am

GetBuLLish wrote:MMA media cheering that the card is postponed makes me sick to my stomach. They are the absolute worst of all sports journalists.

You realize that no cards is a really bad thing for MMA media? As in people will be out on part time and lose benefits or outright laid off if it continues?

And yet they care (or say they do at least) more about people getting sick and maybe dying?
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#93 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:07 am

Jasen777 wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:MMA media cheering that the card is postponed makes me sick to my stomach. They are the absolute worst of all sports journalists.

You realize that no cards is a really bad thing for MMA media? As in people will be out on part time and lose benefits or outright laid off if it continues?

And yet they care (or say they do at least) more about people getting sick and maybe dying?

I’ll start believing it’s a “really bad thing” for mma media once they start losing paychecks and jobs.

It’s funny that most ufc fighters have been openly praising the UFC for trying to make these fights happen. They don’t care about their own health?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#94 » by Jasen777 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:20 am

Jasen777 wrote:It’s funny that most ufc fighters have been openly praising the UFC for trying to make these fights happen. They don’t care about their own health?

If they cared all that much about their own health they likely wouldn't be fighters. And it's not so much about the fighters, who are a low risk group, but them spreading it to others and keeping the curve from flattening for no good reason. Fighters are more worried about not getting paid because not only are they not getting income they have to spend for training and they have all that hard work in the gym and weight cutting already put in (for those who were going to fight soon).
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#95 » by Dupp » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:11 am

Dana is a **** for trying anyway. Glad it’s off “officially”
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#96 » by cowboyronnie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:45 pm

What are you talking about?

Also, lol at thinking anyone in the mma world is as bad blowhards like Tony Kornheiser or that Black guy who yells or that white guy who is way too excited and sexually harassed everyone.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#97 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:41 pm

The UFC probably just got saved from themselves. Half these guys almost kill themselves weight cutting ANYWAY, now throw a highly infectious virus into the mix. Not to mention the spread that could have occurred at/during and after this event. Not to get too much into the pandemic but there have been several super spreader events that have led to whole cities/regions/countries being infected. God forbid the UFC be the root of that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#98 » by REDDzone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:It’s funny that most ufc fighters have been openly praising the UFC for trying to make these fights happen. They don’t care about their own health?

Yea fighters are generally not risk takers and also most of them can afford not to fight.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#99 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:37 pm

REDDzone wrote:The UFC probably just got saved from themselves. Half these guys almost kill themselves weight cutting ANYWAY, now throw a highly infectious virus into the mix. Not to mention the spread that could have occurred at/during and after this event. Not to get too much into the pandemic but there have been several super spreader events that have led to whole cities/regions/countries being infected. God forbid the UFC be the root of that.

This is silly. Super spreader events don't happen in extremely controlled environments where everyone involved is tested. I would be a lot of money that the UFC had plans in place to test every fighter, coach, ref, judge, etc. multiple times at the event (before they arrived and before they left).

The WWE is still holding events. Do you think they're being irresponsible? I just saw a clip of Gronkowski jumped onto a pile of almost ten dudes :lol:

In these controlled environments, the risk can be significantly reduced. Frankly, I don't see how it would be much riskier than going to the grocery store, which we pretty much all are doing.
GetBuLLish
General Manager

Post#100 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:39 pm

REDDzone wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:It’s funny that most ufc fighters have been openly praising the UFC for trying to make these fights happen. They don’t care about their own health?

Yea fighters are generally not risk takers and also most of them can afford not to fight.

So guys like Tony Ferguson, Dustin Porier, and Francis Ngannou are just stupid and poor, huh?

I'd rather not be so condescending and simply acknowledge that these guys understand that the UFC would minimize the risk of an outbreak at the event and, in that context, they want to participate.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts