Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,058

Re: Ufc 249 

Post#161 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 10, 2020 7:12 pm

Dupp wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Susan wrote:
With Ramadan and the pandemic, give me Conor/JG first. JG/Khabib deserves to be the biggest, baddest fight it can be and I think feeding Conor to JG throws ample gasoline onto the Gaejthe fire.

Maybe by then I'll get confident in spelling his last name.

Khabib says he'll be ready to fight by late July. That's 2 months from now, I highly doubt Gaethje wants a 2 month turnaround to fight Khabib. So Ramadan will have no effect on when that fight takes place. My guess is they probably fight September.

Khabib vs Gaethje and Tony vs Conor makes all the sense in the world.

The only thing with that doesn’t Connor want to fight soon? Maybe the wait for tony will be too long and he fights someone else first ?

If Conor doesnt want to wait (wouldn't be shocked if Tony wants a quick turnaround), he can always fight one of Masvidal or Diaz. But if Im Conor I would definitely wait. Just like Gaethje, Conor is a horrible matchup for Tony. Conor's striking is as crisp as they get in those weight classes, I could see Conor picking apart Tony.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#162 » by Headliner » Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 pm

The Warrior wrote:
Headliner wrote:He’s avoided Tony, which is really the one that mattered and should have been his legacy fight.

He’s clinging to wins against crap fighters to fill out a flimsy top 5 names.
Dustin
Conor
RDA
They are his only meaningful fights. Two boxers and a JJ/MT guy.

After that you’re talking
Barbosa, (5-5 in the 10 fights before and after khabib)
Al Iaquinta isn’t worth mentioning.
Michael Jonson is something like 2-7 in the 10 fights surrounding the Khabib one. He’s not even near a top 10 guy.

Don’t get me wrong, Khabib is good and deserves to be considered as a good champ, but putting him as pound for pound champ or all time top 5 is a joke. He’s beat one guy to ever hold a belt, after he was off doing a boxing match for a year plus. He needed Tony, he needs Justin and he needs another name to be even in the world of conversation.
He has not been avoiding Tony...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Didn’t say he’s avoiding him, as in ducking him, I said he avoided him as in he doesn’t need to have that fight now.
Which was a fight I think he needed for his legacy because honestly, his resume is weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,180
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#163 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 10, 2020 8:38 pm

Khabib is still very early into a title reign. I don't think most guys have a trophy case full of legends on their mantle when they are two defenses into their title reign. He's had two title defenses, his last 5 fights are Michael Johnson, Edson Barboza, Al Iaquinta, Conor McGregor, and Dustin Poirier.

At the same point in his title reign, GSP's entire UFC career was five fights.

It's early, I don't think that many people re arguing Khabib is the GOAT or anything, but he's been as dominant as anyone to get started, and for his small fight selection, it's not like it's a bunch of cans.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,058

Post#164 » by Duke4life831 » Sun May 10, 2020 8:48 pm

With that crazy Gaethje/Tony and Francis freak show I know its easy to forget, but Bryce Thugnasty Mitchell put on one of the greatest grappling clinics the UFC has ever seen. Rosa was just the ground version of Tony Ferguson. Somehow that dude survived 15 minutes of relentless picture perfect attacks on the ground. Haha the scorecards for that fight was 30-25, 30-25, 30-24, a judge gave 3 straight 10-8 rounds. Cant wait to see that dude go again, also hope he doesn't fall into the Ortega and many other BJJ guys that try to become stand up fighters and forget about his dominant ground game.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,751

Post#165 » by lilfishi22 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:32 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Cringe beat Cringe in cringeworth fashion. That was really exciting. I think Peterson stepped in at a moment after like 7-8 ground shots where Dom collapsed onto his cheek, only to then have him show a little life before Peterson got there. Questionable, yeah.

CringeC just didn't get frustrated with Dom. He was not going to chase him. And I bet confidence coming from his patience in waiting-out Marlon helped.

I don't believe the retirement for a second.

It's always tough when these types of TKO's happen. When a guy was KO'd and then knocked back into consciousness. Does the ref stop the fight based on the guy being knocked out or does he let it go on because he was knocked back into consciousness? For those people (incl. Dom) who say it was an early stoppage because he was on his feet and getting up, I always err on the side of protecting fighters first.

Still, I was impressed with Cringe not playing Dom's game and staying focused on his gameplay. Also agree, I don't buy the retirement
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#166 » by goodboy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:53 pm

Headliner wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
Headliner wrote:He’s avoided Tony, which is really the one that mattered and should have been his legacy fight.

He’s clinging to wins against crap fighters to fill out a flimsy top 5 names.
Dustin
Conor
RDA
They are his only meaningful fights. Two boxers and a JJ/MT guy.

After that you’re talking
Barbosa, (5-5 in the 10 fights before and after khabib)
Al Iaquinta isn’t worth mentioning.
Michael Jonson is something like 2-7 in the 10 fights surrounding the Khabib one. He’s not even near a top 10 guy.

Don’t get me wrong, Khabib is good and deserves to be considered as a good champ, but putting him as pound for pound champ or all time top 5 is a joke. He’s beat one guy to ever hold a belt, after he was off doing a boxing match for a year plus. He needed Tony, he needs Justin and he needs another name to be even in the world of conversation.
He has not been avoiding Tony...

Didn’t say he’s avoiding him, as in ducking him, I said he avoided him as in he doesn’t need to have that fight now.
Which was a fight I think he needed for his legacy because honestly, his resume is weak.

Why is that every time I come on here, which is rarely. I see every other post is you obsessing about Khabib? Dude we get it.

Weak resume
Meh Champ

Cool man.
Bright
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#167 » by Headliner » Sun May 10, 2020 11:58 pm

goodboy wrote:
Headliner wrote:
The Warrior wrote:He has not been avoiding Tony...

Why is that every time I come on here, which is rarely. I see every other post is you obsessing about Khabib? Dude we get it.

Weak resume
Meh Champ

Cool man.

You got me. I’m obsessed.
Talking crazy by discussing him in a thread regarding the guy he was supposed to be fighting and the guy he’s going to face. The madness.

And if you never frequent the board, don’t speak in a group consensus voice, “we”. Weak.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,295

Post#168 » by goodboy » Sun May 10, 2020 11:59 pm

Headliner wrote:
goodboy wrote:
Headliner wrote:Didn’t say he’s avoiding him, as in ducking him, I said he avoided him as in he doesn’t need to have that fight now.

Weak resume
Meh Champ

Cool man.

Talking crazy by discussing him in a thread regarding the guy he was supposed to be fighting and the guy he’s going to face. The madness.

And if you never frequent the board, don’t speak in a group consensus voice, “we”. Weak.

WE GET IT.
Bright
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#169 » by Headliner » Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 am

goodboy wrote:
Headliner wrote:
goodboy wrote:Why is that every time I come on here, which is rarely. I see every other post is you obsessing about Khabib? Dude we get it.

Weak resume
Meh Champ

Cool man.

WE GET IT.

Awesome bud.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,689

Post#170 » by Dupp » Mon May 11, 2020 12:15 am

Hasn’t khabib only lost 1 round in the ufc? You don’t get much more dominant than that, regardless of who he’s fought.

Sucks he fights like once a year. Hard to pad his resume doing that.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#171 » by Headliner » Mon May 11, 2020 12:26 am

Dupp wrote:Hasn’t khabib only lost 1 round in the ufc? You don’t get much more dominant than that, regardless of who he’s fought.

Tibau Was very close, a lot of people think he should have lost that one.
He’s elite for sure, which is why I want him to fight top guys so there’s a clearer understanding of his greatness. Is he really top 10 All time or more like top 20 etc.
Dustin was a great win, Conor is a great a win, RDA is a great win, not taking those from him.

The statement, in context, was about Conor fighting JG before JG fights Khabib, and I was saying there’s no way I want to risk losing Khabib vs JG when we already lost Lhabib be Tony. I want him to have a resume so we can measure his legacy accurately
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,509

Post#172 » by GetBuLLish » Mon May 11, 2020 3:24 am

cowboyronnie wrote:BUT THE NBA WILL WAIT UNTIL THERE IS NO WIDE, ACTIVE INFECTION IN THE POPULOUS.

Jacare contracted/spread this to non-competitors BECAUSE HE WAS TRAINING FOR THE EVENT AT THE PEAK OF THE PANDEMIC. That's the issue. The community spread wrought by training. Other people might well die or be hospitalized because of the vector created around Jacare's camp.

Peak of the pandemic? It is clear that you literally have no idea what you're talking about. All emotion. No logic.

Anyways, I'm glad the UFC put on a great event. Showed the world that not everyone has to be a coward and that we can start trying to move forward.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,751

Post#173 » by lilfishi22 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:23 am

Caution = cowardice apparently
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#174 » by Headliner » Mon May 11, 2020 10:50 am

Honestly, if I were an athlete there’s zero chance I risk getting Covid.
We don’t know the long term side effects, there’s a lot of reports that even healthy, younger people Could have permanent damage to their lung capacity.
If you’re an athlete playing anything but 1st base, that could mean game over...especially in a cardio sport like mma.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#175 » by Susan » Mon May 11, 2020 11:44 am

goodboy wrote:
Headliner wrote:
goodboy wrote:Why is that every time I come on here, which is rarely. I see every other post is you obsessing about Khabib? Dude we get it.

Weak resume
Meh Champ

Cool man.

WE GET IT.

Watcha think of Anthony Pettis?
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#176 » by Susan » Mon May 11, 2020 12:19 pm

Read on Twitter
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#177 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 11, 2020 1:19 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:BUT THE NBA WILL WAIT UNTIL THERE IS NO WIDE, ACTIVE INFECTION IN THE POPULOUS.

Jacare contracted/spread this to non-competitors BECAUSE HE WAS TRAINING FOR THE EVENT AT THE PEAK OF THE PANDEMIC. That's the issue. The community spread wrought by training. Other people might well die or be hospitalized because of the vector created around Jacare's camp.

Peak of the pandemic? It is clear that you literally have no idea what you're talking about. All emotion. No logic.

Anyways, I'm glad the UFC put on a great event. Showed the world that not everyone has to be a coward and that we can start trying to move forward.

The peak of the pandemic has not happened over the course of the three weeks in which these fighters were "training for the event". When has/will the peak occur.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#178 » by cowboyronnie » Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Caution = cowardice apparently

Haha. These dudes always reveal how insanely insecure and stunted they are. Everything is a test of their individual character. The government telling me to stay at home is the government telling me I have a tiny dick and that they could **** my woman way better than me. Better strap myself with weapons and march on the capitol cos I am no cuckold.

There's a depth to human life beyond the dimension of whether you're asserting your personal bravery.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#179 » by Headliner » Tue May 12, 2020 2:54 pm

Dupp wrote:Hasn’t khabib only lost 1 round in the ufc? You don’t get much more dominant than that, regardless of who he’s fought.

I just went to YouTube and re-watched the Tibaeu fight. I’m absolutely shocked at the scoring. It was ages ago, but that was a robbery, and seemed fishy.
It was a pretty close fight all around, round 1 was pretty tight with GT controlling the octagon for the vast majority so I might give him the round, but would be ok with Khabib getting it.
Round two was close, Khabib had him against the fence for a bit but GT had a takedown and the rest was pretty even. GT has that round.
Round 3 GT has another takedown, Khabib has some pressure on the cage but not much else. Give that to GT.

All three judges score it 30-0 for Khabib. Joe and Goldie are both lost for words and gasp ‘WOW’ they thought he clearly lost. Khabib falls to the ground with his hands over his face because he thought he had lost and GT is shocked.

Knowing what we know about Khabib now I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if some ‘friends of his’ had a nice chat with the judges before the match lol.

Aside from that though, his other matches have been extremely dominant. The GT fight is the only WTF match I’ve seen.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#180 » by Headliner » Tue May 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Out of curiosity who do people think is the better matchup to beat Khabib, JG, Tony, Conor rematch, or someone else?

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts