UFC Jacksonville - Overeem vs Harris

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

UFC Jacksonville - Overeem vs Harris 

Post#1 » by Susan » Fri May 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Alistair Overeem (+145) vs. Walt Harris (-170)
Claudia Gadelha (-195) vs. Angela Hill (+165)
Dan Ige (+115) vs. Edson Barboza (-135)
Eryk Anders (+130) vs. Krzysztof Jotko (-155)
Song Yadong (-180) vs. Marlon Vera (+155)

Actually feeling Overeem in this one. Overeem gets starched by the monsters of the division but Harris ain't at that level.This is Harris' first fight since his daughter's murder, wonder if that helps him raise his level. :(

Edson at FW is interesting. He's faced the highest level guys in his last five years or so, dunno if Ige is at that level but the cut is gunna be tough for Edson. He's pretty lean at 155.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: UFC Jacksonville - Overeem vs Harris 

Post#2 » by cowboyronnie » Fri May 15, 2020 3:27 pm

Pretty **** card, aside from Barboza's presence.

Harris vs Overeem is just too emotional. You'd have to be wired pretty differently to work through that kind of tragedy and be able to perform at the gym. I'd have to think he's compromised. And no one wants to see a smug prick like Overeem KTFO him under these circumstances.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM

Post#3 » by Susan » Fri May 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Edson looks good. Putting cash on him.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,180
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 15, 2020 10:26 pm

There's no way Edson can have any fat or water around any of his vitals at 145. Insane he could even walk in at that weight.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,313

Post#5 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Fri May 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Anyone else thoroughly entertained by Buffer announcing Eryk Anders as “Ya Boy?” I always get a kick out of that lol.

Anyway, not a very entertaining card, to say the least.
Susan
RealGM

Post#6 » by Susan » Fri May 15, 2020 11:35 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:There's no way Edson can have any fat or water around any of his vitals at 145. Insane he could even walk in at that weight.

He doesn't look as bad as Conor used to look at 145. His face is a little sunk in but it's not bad.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun May 17, 2020 2:20 am

Eryk Anders needs to work on being more dynamic, unpredictable, and adding improvisation in general to his offense. He was telegraphing his shots in for the takedown(s), he threw this 1-2 highkick combo like ten times - never coming close to landing. He obviously has power, but he's slowwwww, and his punches were a little wide and all over the place. He was outclassed from a technical perspective; from the striking to the grappling.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun May 17, 2020 2:48 am

I don't think Ige won that fight. Barboza hurt him more.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,164

Post#9 » by HMFFL » Sun May 17, 2020 2:50 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I don't think Ige won that fight. Barboza hurt him more.
Barboza won it.
Defended takedowns, controlled more time, and like you mentioned he hurt Idge more.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,164

Post#10 » by HMFFL » Sun May 17, 2020 2:51 am

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:Eryk Anders needs to work on being more dynamic, unpredictable, and adding improvisation in general to his offense. He was telegraphing his shots in for the takedown(s), he threw this 1-2 highkick combo like ten times - never coming close to landing. He obviously has power, but he's slowwwww, and his punches were a little wide and all over the place. He was outclassed from a technical perspective; from the striking to the grappling.
Good points.
It's always the same Eryk Anders fight and that's why his success has suffered so much.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#11 » by aggerrard » Sun May 17, 2020 3:24 am

Hmm. 3 close decisions now on the main card, all going the wrong way IMO.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun May 17, 2020 3:46 am

I was moments away from saying it's time for Overeem to hang 'em up during that flurry from Harris. Outstanding recovery from Overeem. Good job from Murgliotta for letting Overeem have a chance to recover and respond/react.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by aggerrard » Sun May 17, 2020 3:49 am

STOP IT WTFFF
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by aggerrard » Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 am

Come on Dan Miragliotta?! How the heck do you let someone take 50+ punches to the head without any attempt to move... That's **** up.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 am

Murgliotta gave Harris every chance. Probably too many chances if anything. He was flattened out on his stomach, barely defending himself -- just eating shot after shot. So glad to see Overeem get a W though (I like Harris too).

I want to see a Rozenstruik/Overeem rematch.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sun May 17, 2020 4:00 am

aggerrard wrote:STOP IT WTFFF

He let that go way too long. He was eating too many unnecessary shots. Wasn’t angling or maneuvering to get out of that position. Didn’t like that.

But let me just say, Walt Harris comes across as such a good dude. Hate what happened to him, his daughter, his family last year; just a really unfortunate situation. The potential is there for him, but he needs to work on some things:

1. Ground game - especially defensively. He looked uncomfortable and out of his element on the ground.
2. Cardio and his weight, in general. I’d like to see him be a little more light on his feet, get down to around 250 (barely made the cut for 265), and gain some mobility and stamina that way. He was gassed after that initial flurry the first round.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Sun May 17, 2020 1:32 pm

2 rounds into the Barb vs Ige...

a) Barboza's tan is freaking me out. It can't be healthy to get that much sun. Please wear protective lotion, y'all.

b) He also doesn't look strong, fast, or coordinated. I don't know if that's a result of losing lean muscle (which has clearly happened) or being drained from the cut.

It also might have to do with the fact a 145er can press him and use speed like no 155er could. Ige is like a pinball and that's just not suited for Edson's style of flat-footed muay Thai. He's outta there before those heavy combos can be thrown.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
aggerrard
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by aggerrard » Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:2 rounds into the Barb vs Ige...

a) Barboza's tan is freaking me out. It can't be healthy to get that much sun. Please wear protective lotion, y'all.

b) He also doesn't look strong, fast, or coordinated. I don't know if that's a result of losing lean muscle (which has clearly happened) or being drained from the cut.

It also might have to do with the fact a 145er can press him and use speed like no 155er could. Ige is like a pinball and that's just not suited for Edson's style of flat-footed muay Thai. He's outta there before those heavy combos can be thrown.

I can see some similarities to Michael Johnson. Both were top 5-10 guys in LW for some years, then they both hit a hard stretch at LW (both with 4 losses in 5 fight) and moved down to 145. It went wrong for Michael Johnson, legit seems like he just lost 25% since he moved down and haven't been able to pick it up again once he moved back up. I could fear the same thing happens for Barboza.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts