Boxing Thread 5

Moderator: lilfishi22

Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,160

Re: Boxing Thread 5 

Post#181 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:52 am

BlackThought wrote:One more thing about Josh Taylor. After the fight he said that he felt drained fighting at 140 and would like to move up to 147. I think that's a terrible idea for him and he should just consider retirement if he can't make the weight. If Taylor couldn't hurt Teo at 140 and actually got hurt by Teo, what would happen to Taylor if he fought natural 147 guys like Jaron Ennis and Vergil Ortiz.

He's in the same position Terrance Crawford was in for years but without all his belts or the p4p mystique. However, getting dominated by someone who came from a lower division might make him a more attractive opponent. He's still a draw and now he looks like a vulnerable draw. Someone might give him a chance thinking Taylor would be an easy payday.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,570

Post#182 » by BlackThought » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:33 pm

Knickfan1982 wrote:
BlackThought wrote:One more thing about Josh Taylor. After the fight he said that he felt drained fighting at 140 and would like to move up to 147. I think that's a terrible idea for him and he should just consider retirement if he can't make the weight. If Taylor couldn't hurt Teo at 140 and actually got hurt by Teo, what would happen to Taylor if he fought natural 147 guys like Jaron Ennis and Vergil Ortiz.

He's in the same position Terrance Crawford was in for years but without all his belts or the p4p mystique. However, getting dominated by someone who came from a lower division might make him a more attractive opponent. He's still a draw and now he looks like a vulnerable draw. Someone might give him a chance thinking Taylor would be an easy payday.

There are better fights for him at 140 though. He can rematch Catteral and Prograis. Cat is British so that should do decent numbers and people will be interested in the Prograis fight.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#183 » by Knickfan1982 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:42 pm

BlackThought wrote:
Knickfan1982 wrote:

There are better fights for him at 140 though. He can rematch Catteral and Prograis. Cat is British so that should do decent numbers and people will be interested in the Prograis fight.

I agree but this isn't the first time he has mentioned moving up so maybe its getting too hard for him to do so. He might not have a choice.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#184 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:28 am

That wasn't very convincing for Prograis. I wasn't sure he even won it (he definitely didn't if you count the knockdown in rd 1, which would have swung a 10-9 Prograis round to 10-8 Zorilla).

It's a bad look to be calling out Haney then to struggle with someone with as unathletic and novice a style as Zorilla.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#185 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:27 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:That wasn't very convincing for Prograis. I wasn't sure he even won it (he definitely didn't if you count the knockdown in rd 1, which would have swung a 10-9 Prograis round to 10-8 Zorilla).

It's a bad look to be calling out Haney then to struggle with someone with as unathletic and novice a style as Zorilla.

I'm willing to give him a mulligan and assume the combination of pressure from headlining a big card in his hometown and looking past his opponent as a reason for his performance. But he's not getting any younger, hasn't been very active and his resume since the Taylor loss has been weak even if it hasn't really been his fault (Taylor never gave him a rematch, Ramirez doesn't take chances, Hooker couldn't make weight, Mikey Garcia went for a tuneup instead and lost and lost).
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#186 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:50 pm

It just leaves a bad taste when Progais and promoter then turn around and say Zorilla was running. Prograis was using a feeler jab that was landing literally a foot away from Zorilla's gloves for the entire first round. He was just tapping air. Evidence that he came in super cautious. Meanwhile, Zorilla KD'd him in that very round. In short, it takes two to tango, and Regis definitely did not want to tango.
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant

Post#187 » by Knickfan1982 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:41 am

cowboyronnie wrote:It just leaves a bad taste when Progais and promoter then turn around and say Zorilla was running. Prograis was using a feeler jab that was landing literally a foot away from Zorilla's gloves for the entire first round. He was just tapping air. Evidence that he came in super cautious. Meanwhile, Zorilla KD'd him in that very round. In short, it takes two to tango, and Regis definitely did not want to tango.

I have always hated the "he just ran the whole fight excuse". When I hear that I ask myself...what did you do to try and trap him in a corner. What did you do to try and slow him down?
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#188 » by cowboyronnie » Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:24 pm

Morrell vs Benevidez in the fall!? That's nuts. They're such mean punchers. The sounds of that fight are gonna be gross.
BlackThought
Sixth Man

Post#189 » by BlackThought » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:59 am

Inoue completely destroyed Fulton. The guy should be #1 on everyone's p4p list.
Butch718
RealGM
And1: 6,866

Post#190 » by Butch718 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:15 am

Inoue is a beast. Dude ate a world class fighter in Fulton.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#191 » by cowboyronnie » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:51 pm

I love that this seems to have gotten him tons of NA attention. When's the last sub-130 guy this lauded? Chocolatito, I guess, was #1 for a bit. He was the alternative to Mayweather.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,956

Post#192 » by Rich Rane » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:29 am

Yikes, Crawford took the first round having Eminem walking with him to the ring.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#193 » by Rich Rane » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:12 am

Apologies to Crawford for thinking this was gonna be a competitive fight. With all respect to Spence, Crawford is just on a higher level. A rematch doesn't look like it'll change that.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#194 » by Butch718 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:12 am

Wooowwwwww. That was not competitive. Bud destroyed Spence.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#195 » by Butch718 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:15 am

I was expecting a super competitive fight. That was not even close to being competitive.
BlackThought
Sixth Man

Post#196 » by BlackThought » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:11 am

Hats off to Spence for trying until the end. This has been the greatest week of boxing in my lifetime. The last 2 times I told my friends who are none boxing fans to watch a fight, I ended up disappointing my friends. The first time I did that was Mayweather/Pacquiao, and the 2nd time was Canelo/GGG. But this week I'm 2/2 and my friends are now boxing fans.

As for the rematch I think they should do it again at 154 just for the money. There is nobody else around 147/154 that Crawford can fight that will generate half as much interest as another Spence fight. At 154 I can see Spence last the full 12 rounds since he'll come in around super middleweight and Bud will only get to like 158-160ish. Spence will take punches better but Crawford will still have an one-sided UD. It'll be kind of like when Pacquiao rematched Barrera at 130 after smashing Barrera in the first fight at 126.

After Crawford beats Spence in the rematch he can fight Tim Tszyu for a title at 154. After that he can consider calling it a career.
Butch718
RealGM

Post#197 » by Butch718 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:53 am

I think after Bud wins the rematch at 147 or 154, he’s gonna fight Charlo next. Then Tsyzu. Then perhaps call it a career.

But the way he looked tonight, he could fight another 2-3 years before he starts declining. Unreal performance. I got him number 1 p4p. Him and Inoue were so impressive this week.
BlackThought
Sixth Man

Post#198 » by BlackThought » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:54 am

Butch718 wrote:I think after Bud wins the rematch at 147 or 154, he’s gonna fight Charlo next. Then Tsyzu. Then perhaps call it a career.

But the way he looked tonight, he could fight another 2-3 years before he starts declining. Unreal performance. I got him number 1 p4p. Him and Inoue were so impressive this week.

Charlo is moving up to 168 to fight Canelo. I doubt he'll move back down 2 divisions to fight Crawford. Would be a terrible career decision for Charlo. Moving up and down that much weight kills your body. Just look at guys like Roy Jones and Kell Brook and Khan recently.

154 division is very barren after Charlo left. Tszyu is only interesting because the guy has his dad's name and a big following in Australia.

If Crawford really wants to be crazy, maybe after beating Tszyu, maybe fight Charlo at a catchweight at like 156 or something for a middleweight title just to get the champion in 5 division status. Very unnecessary but it is a wild idea.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#199 » by Rich Rane » Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:58 am

BlackThought wrote:As for the rematch I think they should do it again at 154 just for the money. There is nobody else around 147/154 that Crawford can fight that will generate half as much interest as another Spence fight. At 154 I can see Spence last the full 12 rounds since he'll come in around super middleweight and Bud will only get to like 158-160ish. Spence will take punches better but Crawford will still have an one-sided UD. It'll be kind of like when Pacquiao rematched Barrera at 130 after smashing Barrera in the first fight at 126.

It wasn't just that Crawford countered Spence's punches. Crawford timed Spence all night and beat him to every huge exchange. I think Spence adding more weight helps Crawford even more.
BlackThought
Sixth Man

Post#200 » by BlackThought » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:52 am

Rich Rane wrote:
BlackThought wrote:As for the rematch I think they should do it again at 154 just for the money. There is nobody else around 147/154 that Crawford can fight that will generate half as much interest as another Spence fight. At 154 I can see Spence last the full 12 rounds since he'll come in around super middleweight and Bud will only get to like 158-160ish. Spence will take punches better but Crawford will still have an one-sided UD. It'll be kind of like when Pacquiao rematched Barrera at 130 after smashing Barrera in the first fight at 126.

It wasn't just that Crawford countered Spence's punches. Crawford timed Spence all night and beat him to every huge exchange. I think Spence adding more weight helps Crawford even more.

I'm pretty sure Crawford will still beat Spence up at 154 but the extra weight will help Spence take the punches better. Spence has always been big for 147. He hasn't lived the most disciplined life style outside of the ring (known to enjoy the bottle) so moving up will definitely help his body.

I just think it's too dangerous for Spence to take the rematch at 147. It would be life-altering type of damage in the 2nd fight. At least at 154 he could make it to the end of the fight and might even open up some more options tactically. At 154 Spence would be outweighing Crawford by at least 10 lbs. Maybe he can try to rough up Crawford on the inside and make the fight ugly.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts