WEC vs. UFC

Moderator: lilfishi22

El Hardee
Sixth Man
And1: 25

WEC vs. UFC 

Post#1 » by El Hardee » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:13 pm

I heard from a reliable source that some unification bouts are being discussed for 2009, that kinda leaves Faber and Torres out, but what about the rest.

Jamie Varner vs BJ/Sherk/Florian
Condit vs GSP
Filho vs Silva
Stanns vs Nog
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: WEC vs. UFC 

Post#2 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Filho and Silva were training partners and won't fight one another.

Condit vs GSp is the only interesting match. The LW and HW matches are terrible.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by El Hardee » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:47 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Filho and Silva were training partners and won't fight one another.

Condit vs GSp is the only interesting match. The LW and HW matches are terrible.
I wouldnt be so quick to count out Varner, the dude is a beast and still very young.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by Chach » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:46 am

I have a hard time seeing this happening. I foresee Zuffa using the WEC as a sort of minor league affiliate for the upper weight classes so guys in the light heavyweight division that need some fine tuning on their game and continue to fight but not get their head beaten in by the Liddells and Rampages of the world. And it will also attract the best lower weight classes like Faber/Torres. To have a unification bout would either the losing organization. If Condit loses, it trivializes the WEC and if GSP loses, the UFC gets a ton of egg on its face. I think you are more likely to see some of top middleweight/LHW contenders be signed to the UFC roster and fight there rather than any sort of unification thing. Or you will see the WEC just get straight up absorbed into the UFC, rosters and all. mahalo
~Chach~
El Hardee
Sixth Man

Post#5 » by El Hardee » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 am

Chach wrote:I have a hard time seeing this happening. I foresee Zuffa using the WEC as a sort of minor league affiliate for the upper weight classes so guys in the light heavyweight division that need some fine tuning on their game and continue to fight but not get their head beaten in by the Liddells and Rampages of the world. And it will also attract the best lower weight classes like Faber/Torres. To have a unification bout would either the losing organization. If Condit loses, it trivializes the WEC and if GSP loses, the UFC gets a ton of egg on its face. I think you are more likely to see some of top middleweight/LHW contenders be signed to the UFC roster and fight there rather than any sort of unification thing. Or you will see the WEC just get straight up absorbed into the UFC, rosters and all. mahalo
~Chach~
A friend of mine was who was signed by the UFC was actually given a bonus to fight in the WEC. After the UFC purchased WEC they really wanted to build it up. It more or less is the "farm team" for the UFC, but ZUFFA did invest money and serious talent in the WEC.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#6 » by kdawg32086 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:12 am

I can't see the WEC guys even being able to compete.

Varner isn't in the same class as BJ Penn. Varner I don't think can even beat Sherk, Florian, Aurelio, Danzig, Stevenson.

Rampage would destroy Brian Stann like nobody's business.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#7 » by Chach » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:51 am

El Hardee wrote:
Chach wrote:I have a hard time seeing this happening. I foresee Zuffa using the WEC as a sort of minor league affiliate for the upper weight classes so guys in the light heavyweight division that need some fine tuning on their game and continue to fight but not get their head beaten in by the Liddells and Rampages of the world. And it will also attract the best lower weight classes like Faber/Torres. To have a unification bout would either the losing organization. If Condit loses, it trivializes the WEC and if GSP loses, the UFC gets a ton of egg on its face. I think you are more likely to see some of top middleweight/LHW contenders be signed to the UFC roster and fight there rather than any sort of unification thing. Or you will see the WEC just get straight up absorbed into the UFC, rosters and all. mahalo
~Chach~
A friend of mine was who was signed by the UFC was actually given a bonus to fight in the WEC. After the UFC purchased WEC they really wanted to build it up. It more or less is the "farm team" for the UFC, but ZUFFA did invest money and serious talent in the WEC.

I totally see that happening. They are trying to build up a brand and name recognition with WEC. They may be a farm system for UFC but good minor league baseball teams still can turn a profit and they help the parent club as well. That's why a unification situation just seems bad because while it would draw more hardcore MMA people into the WEC if Condit could beat GSP but your average fan will hear of this great upset of a "minor league promotional fighter" being the best in the world puts egg on UFC's face. And then you have to deal with the fact that your UFC title holder is still under contract for WEC. What happens if you bump him up to the UFC on a full time basis? Then you just lost your best welterweight WEC fighter.

Plus Dana has said in the past that he doesn't "lending" fighters to other promoters and while Zuffa does own WEC and UFC, I have a feeling he may feel the same way about keeping the cross pollinating at a minimum. He's come out and said he really doesn't want to see Faber add weight and make a run at BJ Penn. mahalo
~Chach~

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts