WWE Royal Rumble Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Re: WWE Royal Rumble Discussion 

Post#41 » by Spens1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:41 am

Stanford wrote:
Spens1 wrote:what do they need her to win the rumble for.

Because she's a star and the rumble is supposed to be an important event.

Has there been an example of someone who wasn't a star going in, winning the rumble and turning into a star because of it? That seems more like MitB than the rumble. I can't think of a single example of that in the the rumble.

Well surely they didn't need to give her another accolade, this Charlotte push has been arguably worse than the Reigns one (because at least they've eased up, there has been no easing off on Charlotte).
improper
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,405

Post#42 » by improper » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:05 am

Stanford wrote:Motivated Brock is one of the best in the business. Maybe the best in WWE. The man just does not get enough credit for all the aspects of wrestling he excels at. Emoting. Telling a big story in subtle ways. Selling! I love seeing him sell.

He's been assigned this (partially earned) reputation as a guy who just throws people around for 5 minutes, but he's proven he can do so much more.

He doesn't get enough credit for it because he only does it about three times a year.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 17,017

Post#43 » by Stanford » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:11 am

yeah, I said it was partially earned
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#44 » by The_Brecht » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:24 am

Last minute changes for the rumble results.
The original idea was Baszler and Reigns winning.
I'm glad they changed Reigns to Drew. Insane how over het got in about three weeks.

I think Charlotte should go for Ripley/Bayley. That way we can get the narrative going she's ducking Becky.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#45 » by Spens1 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:02 am

The_Brecht wrote:Last minute changes for the rumble results.
The original idea was Baszler and Reigns winning.
I'm glad they changed Reigns to Drew. Insane how over het got in about three weeks.

I think Charlotte should go for Ripley/Bayley. That way we can get the narrative going she's ducking Becky.

Reigns would have gotten booed so i think that's a fair call. Also building a guy who has the chance to be the main face is good, Romans window is gone (via combination of Vince not being able to build a new guy and Roman just being ill-suited to the role).

Spoiler:
looks like you're getting your wish, Charlotte vs Ripley looks like the match, Face Ripley vs Heel Charlotte could/should be money.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#46 » by tugs » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am

Stanford wrote:
tugs wrote:Yeah forgot to say that whenever given ample amount of time, Brock is a great performer

Motivated Brock is one of the best in the business. Maybe the best in WWE. The man just does not get enough credit for all the aspects of wrestling he excels at. Emoting. Telling a big story in subtle ways. Selling! I love seeing him sell.

He's been assigned this (partially earned) reputation as a guy who just throws people around for 5 minutes, but he's proven he can do so much more.
That Claymore sell was spot on!
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by improper » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Stanford wrote:Has there been an example of someone who wasn't a star going in, winning the rumble and turning into a star because of it? That seems more like MitB than the rumble. I can't think of a single example of that in the the rumble.

The way I see it, the Rumble is for taking wrestlers who are popular and have momentum and using a win to propel them to the next level.

That's the issue with Charlotte. A win does nothing for her because she realistically could have challenged for any belt without a Rumble victory. On the other hand, a win for Baszler solidifies her as a legitimate star the company is behind and propels her to the next level on the main roster.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:10 pm

improper wrote:The way I see it, the Rumble is for taking wrestlers who are popular and have momentum and using a win to propel them to the next level.

That's fine but...

a win for Baszler solidifies her as a legitimate star the company is behind and propels her to the next level on the main roster.

I don't think Baszer meets that condition. She doesn't have main roster momentum and she's been mostly absent on NXT recently.

It also doesn't answer my original question:

Has there been an example of someone who wasn't a star going in, winning the rumble and turning into a star because of it?

I just can't think of one.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:32 pm

The purpose of the Royal Rumble is to entertain the heck out of most WWE fans, and it sure succeeded. I thought it was awesome.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#50 » by Stanford » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Ruzious wrote:The purpose of the Royal Rumble is to entertain the heck out of most WWE fans

Ha, true.
improper
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by improper » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:16 am

Ruzious wrote:The purpose of the Royal Rumble is to entertain the heck out of most WWE fans, and it sure succeeded. I thought it was awesome.

Based on the last ten years that's about 25% true at best. :lol:
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,109

Post#52 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:42 pm

Stanford wrote:
improper wrote:The way I see it, the Rumble is for taking wrestlers who are popular and have momentum and using a win to propel them to the next level.

That's fine but...

a win for Baszler solidifies her as a legitimate star the company is behind and propels her to the next level on the main roster.

I don't think Baszer meets that condition. She doesn't have main roster momentum and she's been mostly absent on NXT recently.

It also doesn't answer my original question:

Has there been an example of someone who wasn't a star going in, winning the rumble and turning into a star because of it?

I just can't think of one.

Well it depends on how mucha star you view them as. Batista had that well slow, methodical face turn, but ti was the RR win that put everythign in place. It cemented him as a new star so to speak.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,109

Post#53 » by daoneandonly » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:43 pm

improper wrote:
Ruzious wrote:The purpose of the Royal Rumble is to entertain the heck out of most WWE fans, and it sure succeeded. I thought it was awesome.

Based on the last ten years that's about 25% true at best. :lol:

Ha yea, some of the past RR's have been disappointments. I like the ones where not only do you get a new upcomign star liek Drew, but you also have a mix of nostalgia with returning names and when applicable, returning stars from injuries

Return to Pro Wrestling