WWE Money in the Bank Discussion

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: WWE Money in the Bank Discussion 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Mon May 11, 2020 5:57 pm

Spens1 wrote:They put briefcase on what is, for all intents and purposes, a comedy guy, this company really doesn't care about any of its titles do they......

I mean I get that Otis is over but FFS this is meant to be the one way ticket to a world title, in a world where Cesaro, Nakamura and Zayn don't have world title wins, Otis has no business being near a world championship.

Sent from my CPH1877 using RealGM mobile app

This isn't something to get all upset about. Aside from being the most likable guy in the WWE, it's not like Otis is some goof off the street. He has an excellent amateur wrestling background, and he's a 330 lb athlete. He's believable in the ring. And he's going for a tag team title - not a singles title. No, he doesn't have skills like Zayn does, but Zayn looks like... someone who used to be called El Generico - in his prime.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,249

Post#22 » by LLJ » Mon May 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Otis was the big surprise. Not surprised at Asuka winning--Vince seemed to have gotten on board with this "irritating troll" Asuka since her heel turn last year judging by her TV time the past 7 months.
iMoreland
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#23 » by iMoreland » Mon May 11, 2020 9:35 pm

Mandy is definitely going to turn on Otis when he tries to cash in
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#24 » by Scott Hall » Mon May 11, 2020 11:31 pm

tugs wrote:
Scott Hall wrote:
Read on Twitter
Was gonna say, "What a waste" til I remembered The Revival's gripe over creative's direction with the tag team division. This could be the start of it all

Yeah and they did the Tag-Team Elimination Chamber this year as well. This is the first time I've ever seen
Vince put any effort and emphasis into the Tag-Team division historically it's just been an afterthought
outside of a few teams and rivalries but still you'd never see them main event a card.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#25 » by Spens1 » Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 am

Ruzious wrote:
Spens1 wrote:They put briefcase on what is, for all intents and purposes, a comedy guy, this company really doesn't care about any of its titles do they......

I mean I get that Otis is over but FFS this is meant to be the one way ticket to a world title, in a world where Cesaro, Nakamura and Zayn don't have world title wins, Otis has no business being near a world championship.

This isn't something to get all upset about. Aside from being the most likable guy in the WWE, it's not like Otis is some goof off the street. He has an excellent amateur wrestling background, and he's a 330 lb athlete. He's believable in the ring. And he's going for a tag team title - not a singles title. No, he doesn't have skills like Zayn does, but Zayn looks like... someone who used to be called El Generico - in his prime.

What good is look, also since when could you use the MITB to go for the tag team titles, when did that even become a thing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Wed May 13, 2020 12:56 pm

Spens1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

What good is look, also since when could you use the MITB to go for the tag team titles, when did that even become a thing.

You're concerned about the traditions of the MITB while not giving recognition to what the WWE's always been built around - look. The WWE performers have always been - for the most part - portrayed as larger than life cartoon characters as opposed to guys who look like grocery store clerks (who don't look like Mickey Roarke in "The Wrestler"). They've overdone that to an extent, but it adds to believability. Chris Candido had some good quotes on that shortly before his death. He was a very small guy coming up in Smokey Mountain Wrestling, so he felt his big weight gain was needed for him to excel in the business because of the look it gave him - and it made him a lot more marketable in the US.

And even if you don't care about look, why does it bother you that a MITB winner can use it for a tag team title? I'd be for that because it helps boost the perceived importance of the tag titles.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,313

Post#27 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 pm

I’m glad the PPV was as short as it was (about 2 hours and 30 minutes). I found it unwatchable, for the most part.

Bray/Strowman was absolutely boring.

Tamina in that prime time, world title slot is just a no, for me. It was a filler match on a B-level PPV, and it was obvious she had no shot at actually going over. I think she’s really limited and boring in the ring, in general.

The MITB match(es) were a little too silly and implausible, for my taste. Some campy, nonsensical spots right from the jump that made me not even want to sit through the match. Otis winning it is a joke — and I like Otis. But what are they going to do? Give this guy a main event push? A title run? Have him cash in the brief case for the tag titles? The last one would be so stupid considering tag title matches are a dime a dozen. He’s just not that level a guy to win the briefcase. Even in a down year, you still had AJ, Bryan, Corbin, and Aleister who were all plausible, legitimate options to win it.

Especially with the latter two (Corbin and Black), they had a chance to really insert one of those guys into the main event level tier of either Smackdown or Raw. It’s truly just a puzzling choice to go with Otis. He’s entertaining, but he’s a comedy mid-career who isn’t special in the ring and can’t give a promo.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#28 » by jakecronus8 » Wed May 13, 2020 9:58 pm

Amare_1_Knicks wrote:I’m glad the PPV was as short as it was (about 2 hours and 30 minutes). I found it unwatchable, for the most part.

Bray/Strowman was absolutely boring.

Tamina in that prime time, world title slot is just a no, for me. It was a filler match on a B-level PPV, and it was obvious she had no shot at actually going over. I think she’s really limited and boring in the ring, in general.

The MITB match(es) were a little too silly and implausible, for my taste. Some campy, nonsensical spots right from the jump that made me not even want to sit through the match. Otis winning it is a joke — and I like Otis. But what are they going to do? Give this guy a main event push? A title run? Have him cash in the brief case for the tag titles? The last one would be so stupid considering tag title matches are a dime a dozen. He’s just not that level a guy to win the briefcase. Even in a down year, you still had AJ, Bryan, Corbin, and Aleister who were all plausible, legitimate options to win it.

Especially with the latter two (Corbin and Black), they had a chance to really insert one of those guys into the main event level tier of either Smackdown or Raw. It’s truly just a puzzling choice to go with Otis. He’s entertaining, but he’s a comedy mid-career who isn’t special in the ring and can’t give a promo.

Won’t be surprised if the end game with Otis is to have Mandy turn on him, somehow costing him the briefcase and getting it to a heel (I hope not Dolph). Elevates all three of Otis as a baby and Mandy/someone as mega heels.
Do it for Chuck
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#29 » by Spens1 » Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Spens1 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:This isn't something to get all upset about. Aside from being the most likable guy in the WWE, it's not like Otis is some goof off the street. He has an excellent amateur wrestling background, and he's a 330 lb athlete. He's believable in the ring. And he's going for a tag team title - not a singles title. No, he doesn't have skills like Zayn does, but Zayn looks like... someone who used to be called El Generico - in his prime.

You're concerned about the traditions of the MITB while not giving recognition to what the WWE's always been built around - look. The WWE performers have always been - for the most part - portrayed as larger than life cartoon characters as opposed to guys who look like grocery store clerks (who don't look like Mickey Roarke in "The Wrestler"). They've overdone that to an extent, but it adds to believability. Chris Candido had some good quotes on that shortly before his death. He was a very small guy coming up in Smokey Mountain Wrestling, so he felt his big weight gain was needed for him to excel in the business because of the look it gave him - and it made him a lot more marketable in the US.

And even if you don't care about look, why does it bother you that a MITB winner can use it for a tag team title? I'd be for that because it helps boost the perceived importance of the tag titles.

Its so random cause its never been don, I mean if this was some kind of concerted effort to make the tag team division actually good, then great, this is a start, however i very much doubt that they had that in mind.

Also i'd rather they actually build up a new singles star with the MITB like they used to instead of just putting it on some comedy guy.

Return to Pro Wrestling