The best year ever 2021

Moderators: Marcus, Stanford

Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

The best year ever 2021 

Post#1 » by Celtsfan1980 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Unlike many fans the wrestling matters to me. It's why I can say Monday Nitro, Monday Night Raw, and ECW never lived up to what they were capable of. Nitro being 3 hours long for stretches doesn't help, and wrestling is better when more than 50% of the US population(females) have more opportunities.

The Pay Per Views and big events are what has carried wrestling this year more than anything. Based on what I've seen and reviews, WWE has had a very good year for their standards, AEW has had a great year, Impact Wrestling has delivered, and NWA as well. The best year ever for Pay Per Views does help.

AEW's shows have been very good. Even though NXT has been worse lately the first 7-8 months or so were good to very good. I've enjoyed ROH TV. Roman and Heyman have carried Smackdown to mediocrity. Impact Wrestling gets good reviews. WWE Raw and to a lesser degree NWA haven't helped, but I can say I'm satisfied with the TV shows this year.

A look at some of the other years:
WCW drags down 2000(I'd argue WWE's best year). The worst year ever for Pay Per Views automatically disqualifies 1999. As a loyal WWE fan 1998 will always have a special place in my heart but the Pay Per Views here too weren't good enough, 1989 is my favorite year of the 1980's, but the shows weren't good enough.

With a few weeks left I can say 2021 is my favorite year in wrestling history. I may be the only one who feels this way though. Has it been a good year?
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Re: The best year ever 2021 

Post#2 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:50 am

I’ll be lame and go with one of the obvious answers in 97. Bret is my all time favorite and that was his best overall year when you include the work and the character.

This year has been great though, especially when you consider the historic stuff that has happened.
Do it for Chuck
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#3 » by Scott Hall » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:50 am

2021 rivals 2020 for the worst year ever in WWE history. Half the year was in front of no fans at all. There
were a record number of releases, NXT flamed out and got rebranded and nothing I've seen or heard indicates
for the better. RAW has been getting historically record low ratings although a trend for several years now.
Adnan Virk got fired like a month after the job and I've never heard anyone say they like the new guy that
has replaced him. They've lost so much talent and Kevin Owens could be next to top off the year. This past
Survivor Series was probably the worst ever in terms of build and delivery, SummerSlam was extremely boring
for about the first 80% of the show and the Royal Rumble was in front of no fans. Was there any classic 5 star
matches in the entire year in WWE that people years from now will go back and watch? Outside of Bianca vs.
Sasha while a good match is more about history. Wrestlemania was good especially on Day 1 and from what I
remember night 2 was decent.

AEW also spent half the year with no fans and is still growing. There's some stuff I like and a lot of stuff they
do that I don't like at all. It's not my cup of tea yet. In terms of in ring action there was some great stuff this
year even though sometimes they really are on the border of being spot fests, spamming finishers and close counts
and lack of psychology. What I don't like about them is there is a lack of characters and good storylines. I'm also
not a fan of their womens division at all. There is also this big Indy Wrestling geek vibe to the promotion from Tony Khan
to a lot of the talent and a lot of the fans. They really lack the "cool factor" that ECW had or when the nWo
angle was in WCW or even WWF in parts of the Attitude era.

Impact? same old same old

ROH just had their "final battle" and seems like they're headed to extinction

Japan? I 've heard the least amount of buzz this year from them in a long time

NXT UK? England might have the most passionate fans in the world and even they don't care about NXT UK

Mexico? I like some of the cross promotion stuff they do but still same old

2021 was the year I really started losing interest and faith in modern wrestling. This year has been the
first time since I got the internet in the mid 90's that I've stopped going to dirt sheets to see what
the latest news is. I find watching Wrestling in the year 2021 a chore to keep up I dread having to
watch the shows now it's non stop coming at you almost to much. I find myself getting behind 3 or 4
days all the time and force myself out of habit to watch and when I do I multi task during the shows
especially during matches or segments I don't care about which is a lot. Thank god for the WWE Network
the pandemic has given me the free time to catch up on stuff I missed back in the day and was before
my time or it has been great rewatching stuff that I loved in the past.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,589

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:05 am

Wish I could feel this way but honestly I finally mentally cracked and became a shell in 2016 and have been chasing the ghost trying to feel the same way watching tv shows/sports/etc. since then (such a long time SMH), and I only started watching wrestling again in very late 2014. So my year is 2015. It seems like I caught one of the best modern Wrestlemanias which was nice. The NXT portion of the womens revolution was great and there was a fair share of good mens ones too. I liked what Cena was doing in one of his last full time years such as matches with Owens when he first came up and stealing the show with some some others like Cesaro. Rollins was champion most of the year and was a fun enough bad guy and I enjoyed some of the really silly storylines near the end like Kane and Sting. I miss being able to not just have guys that are over to me but to know which guys are the opposite of over for me like Barrett who made me mentally check out every time he had a match. I get the feeling other people consider 2015 an average year for WWE which makes me sad since I could have had seven of them by now. In some ways I wish I just quit in 2016 and planned to pick it up with the WWE archive one day like I did with some other tv shows from that time period I haven't finished.
prolific passer
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,300

Post#5 » by prolific passer » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:04 am

Meh. King of the ring 96 to spring of 99 was the best stretch in wrestling history.

Return to Pro Wrestling