ImageImage

Pre season discussion

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Pre season discussion 

Post#1 » by PDXKnight » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:23 am

Unless im blind i don't see a thread for the pre season yet so figured I'd post one.

Overall the team looks decent, probably not gonna win a ton but it'll be fun. Scoot can definitely ball, looks like he needs to put in the work but the talent is there like we thought.

jerami not a single point? guess we know who is checked out till the season :lol:
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Re: Pre season discussion 

Post#2 » by zzaj » Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:50 am

I mentioned it elsewhere but I think folks need to slow the roll on Scoot somewhat. He’s barely an adult at 19, and this is a large transition. I think we can expect plenty of nights like tonight where he averages more TOs than assists. I expect foul trouble too, as he adjusts…

Shaedon worries me. I mentioned it in the middle of last year, but I still have yet to see that competitive “it” that makes teams better—even on his end of season tear with the ball in his hands. Now, that’s not to say he isn’t going to be a good player…I just worry a bit, when this is ostensibly who is targeted as a cornerstone piece of the franchise for the forseeable future.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,882

Post#3 » by Norm2953 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:12 am

It's a roster in transition for remember all that talk when Andrew Wiggins was being mentioned
as the next MJ. All the physical talent in the world but I wonder with ball dominant guys like
Scoot, Ant and Grant, if he'll just defer and be a spectator on the court.

I do think Scoot will be fine but its likely we'll see Simon as his BC partner for the team might
struggle to score in the half court.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#4 » by monopoman » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:15 am

zzaj wrote:I mentioned it elsewhere but I think folks need to slow the roll on Scoot somewhat. He’s barely an adult at 19, and this is a large transition. I think we can expect plenty of nights like tonight where he averages more TOs than assists. I expect foul trouble too, as he adjusts…

Shaedon worries me. I mentioned it in the middle of last year, but I still have yet to see that competitive “it” that makes teams better—even on his end of season tear with the ball in his hands. Now, that’s not to say he isn’t going to be a good player…I just worry a bit, when this is ostensibly who is targeted as a cornerstone piece of the franchise for the forseeable future.

He is still ridiculously young, he had a very impressive rookie season for what we thought he would do, but we have to remember dude still can't walk into a bar and order a drink legally yet.

Sharpe was a bit of a ? on draft night he has progressed a bit faster than we thought but I bet most would have considered him a project player on draft night. I would also say for now he is one of the most untouchable players on the team because he has a very smooth element to his game and some very impressive athleticism. No other team would see eye to eye with how most of us value Shaedon so thus why he is basically not tradable for now.

I also think this team will face some growing pains with their first season with no Lillard, so much of what the offense was built on was letting Lillard operate with the ball in his hands. That all changes now we have Scoot and sure he has no experience playing with Lillard, but it will drastically change things for guys like Anfernee and to a lesser extent some other players.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#5 » by Pattycakes » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:50 pm

Do we not have game day threads anymore? We should fix this ghost town now that the team is actually exciting
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#6 » by Pattycakes » Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:53 pm

zzaj wrote:I mentioned it elsewhere but I think folks need to slow the roll on Scoot somewhat. He’s barely an adult at 19, and this is a large transition. I think we can expect plenty of nights like tonight where he averages more TOs than assists. I expect foul trouble too, as he adjusts…

That take worries me.

There’s a reason why multiple heads can make for better information or multiple pairs of hands can make better results more effectively.

Envision this triple headed guard monster as a package.

Scoot is the guy you apparently are disappointed Shaedon isn’t, I don’t really understand the general problem because Shaedon is the X factor that Scoot needs quietly posterizing and hitting 3s at 18% effort.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:32 pm

Sharpe plays with the intensity of me at 9PM on a Friday after a strong gin gimlet and a 20mg edible. Its starting to worry me.

Scoot looked really good - his ability to get to the rim, speed and ability to change speed is pretty special. Will have rough spots but overall should be a 20ppg guy from the jump.

Rupert, Camara and Kris are all going to be super up and down IMO. Those guys all have a long way to go - its a roll of the dice as finding 6'8+ guys that can play on the wing is hard. If just 1 pans out thats a win IMO.

Moses should lock C3 over Duop IMO - younger, better rebounder and much bigger. Duop basically only has range over Moses.

Mays looked pretty trash which was somewhat surprising after the games he had late last year.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#8 » by zzaj » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:43 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Mays looked pretty trash which was somewhat surprising after the games he had late last year.

He's gotta play more than 15 minutes!! :lol:
zzaj
General Manager

Post#9 » by zzaj » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:52 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

That take worries me.

There’s a reason why multiple heads can make for better information or multiple pairs of hands can make better results more effectively.

Envision this triple headed guard monster as a package.

Scoot is the guy you apparently are disappointed Shaedon isn’t, I don’t really understand the general problem because Shaedon is the X factor that Scoot needs quietly posterizing and hitting 3s at 18% effort.

I get what you are saying, but if you are talking about Scoot/Simons/Sharpe as the package, then...well something's gotta give. One of those has got to be coming off the bench as the 6th man, and currently that's Sharpe--and he's playing like he should be. But that trio isn't going to be sustainable unless Sharpe doesn't develop...and that means a starting lineup of Scoot/Ant long-term which is a worse version of Lillard/CJ.

The Blazers have been reported as making Sharpe untouchable in trades, which I get...but at some point "young", "smooth" player "with flashes" can turn into "veteran", "passive", "low motor" player.

I gave him a pass in SL. He even made comments about "taking it easy". It's just something to continue to track.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,882

Post#10 » by Norm2953 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:57 pm

It would be interesting if Brogdon worked himself into the BC rotation.

Offers up size and strength at 6-4 220 lbs and can play some point. Simons could
then transition into the 6th man role we all see him excelling in.

It might be interesting to see what Sharpe would bring back, for we'd all love to see
that SF with length to play the Batum role. Amazing we haven't had that guy ever
since we traded Batum in 2015.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers