ImageImage

Will Simon's quietly request a trade?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,049

Re: Will Simon's quietly request a trade? 

Post#81 » by Ducklett » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:29 am

monopoman wrote:
Ducklett wrote:Magic fan here. Been asking to trade for Simons since you guys took him at 24 or whatever. I would be happy to pass a pick or two at you guys for Simons but I wouldnt be passing AB. Black was on a really tight leash and showed very well when given opportunity. I believe our 9 game win streak featured him as our starting PG. I am not ready to give up on him yet.

Draft position means jack **** buddy, Jokic was taken 41st pick in the 2nd round and only like 1-2 guys in the entire NBA might be more valuable. Most fans would be jumping for joy at nearly any trade that sent Jokic to their team.

If you think your player is worth keeping that's fine but don't throw around draft position as meaning anything. Plenty of guys were drafted in the top 5 and became HUGE busts plenty of guys were drafted late and became easy Hall of Fame players like Ginobli, and Jokic. Sure more great players are found in the top 5 picks of the draft, but again after the draft is over and you see what a player can do on the court no one cares when they were drafted.

What are you talking about? I was just mentioning following him with the Blazers since he was picked. It had nothing to do with his value. The victim mentality is too outlandish.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#82 » by JasonStern » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Walton1one wrote:either way POR should keep stockpiling picks\young players until they find that\those guys, just like OKC did.

I prefer this approach from teams rebuilding versus the salvage what we have and ‘retool’. It’s a tried and true method.

We are 3 years into consecutive tanking seasons, traded a top 75 all-time player, and are maybe a 30 win team next season maybe. If we are retooling versus rebuilding, management is really, really bad at it.

Still don't get the Simons hate. His production/$ is probably the highest on the Blazers. He's only 24. A Scoot/Sharpe back court might be the future, but we're not in the future. Sharpe only played 32 games. And Scoot only 62. And neither were DNP/CD. I don't get why people don't realize that Brogdon/Simons/Grant/mythical all-star PF/Ayton is actually a solid lineup while the younger players develop. Big question is what mythical all-star PF could be obtained with the Blazers and possibly Warriors pick that fits the core's age. Typically young players don't get traded for picks.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,494

Post#83 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 pm

JasonStern wrote:
cdubbz wrote:
Walton1one wrote:either way POR should keep stockpiling picks\young players until they find that\those guys, just like OKC did.

I prefer this approach from teams rebuilding versus the salvage what we have and ‘retool’. It’s a tried and true method.

We are 3 years into consecutive tanking seasons, traded a top 75 all-time player, and are maybe a 30 win team next season maybe. If we are retooling versus rebuilding, management is really, really bad at it.

Still don't get the Simons hate. His production/$ is probably the highest on the Blazers. He's only 24. A Scoot/Sharpe back court might be the future, but we're not in the future. Sharpe only played 32 games. And Scoot only 62. And neither were DNP/CD. I don't get why people don't realize that Brogdon/Simons/Grant/mythical all-star PF/Ayton is actually a solid lineup while the younger players develop. Big question is what mythical all-star PF could be obtained with the Blazers and possibly Warriors pick that fits the core's age. Typically young players don't get traded for picks.

The reality is that we are at least 3 years away from one of Scoot or Shae surpassing Ants current value. Trading him is really just an anxious move that is not in need. He gets paid well, is a great presence and exciting to watch. I’m happy to see him stay.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#84 » by JasonStern » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:45 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

The reality is that we are at least 3 years away from one of Scoot or Shae surpassing Ants current value. Trading him is really just an anxious move that is not in need. He gets paid well, is a great presence and exciting to watch. I’m happy to see him stay.

Then you trade Simons in a year. His value isn't going to go up drastically in between. And he's under contract for 2 more seasons. Brogdon is the UFA after next season that you need to flip if you think the secret to rebuilding is fielding a g-league team.
- Chauncey Billups
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,852

Post#85 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 pm

JasonStern wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

I consider the year after trading away the superstar as Year 1 of the rebuild.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 313

Post#86 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:29 am

IF Simons is to be traded before the end of his contract … And IF he isn’t likely to lose value (or gain a ton, either), then trade him ASAP while he’s healthy. That’s the only decision IMHO regarding Ant. If he’s not going to be a starter in the back court, then trade him as early as possible for value in return. Maybe, just maybe, the Blazers will only be tanktastic for one more year. Why have Ant on that team? Just my opinion.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,238

Post#87 » by monopoman » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 am

cdubbz wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
cdubbz wrote:

I consider the year after trading away the superstar as Year 1 of the rebuild.

Blazers were in what some deemed a stealth rebuild for the two years before that, they weren't fully committed but they were trading away veterans and the team was getting younger. This was accelerated greatly when they traded Dame to the Bucks but yeah that is why some Blazer fans call it year 3.

I was fine with that rebuild overall, the only downside was it was annoying Dame. The team we had built around Dame before that potential stealth rebuild was like a 2nd round in the playoffs at best ceiling.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#88 » by Village Idiot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:02 pm

I don't know if Simons will request a trade but I hope we do move him. The following come to mind as great fits:

To Detroit into cap-space in a trade up scenario with the trade being consumated after the new salary year begins. I would want to target drafting Buzelis and Sarr

To San Antonio into cap-space for future picks (Chicago, Atlanta 2025 picks for example)

To Orlando with Robert Williams for Black, a massive TPE created and both their 2025 picks
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#89 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:09 am

cdubbz wrote:I consider the year after trading away the superstar as Year 1 of the rebuild.

The Blazers intentionally benched players and lost games the last 3 seasons to get better draft picks. And they have Chauncey Billups as their head coach. If that's not the definition of tanking, I'm curious what is.
- Chauncey Billups
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#90 » by Walton1one » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 pm

I view this as Y1 of a true rebuild. I think the problem with the previous 2 years is POR was trying to play both angles, and that rarely works. Trying to remain competitive and surround Dame with the vets he wants to compete, but still infuse the team with meaningful young talent is a very hard needle to thread, and no surprise did not work.

I give them credit for at least finally recognizing that and dealing Dame away, although only b\c he finally called them out\forced them to. The "We could be HOU next year" rumors concern me a little and I hope that is not their thought process, They are not going to get the players needed to be the foundation of a rebuild by trying to flirt with a meaningless play in spot, heck that is where they just were with Dame.

Especially with the 2025 draft looking to be a strong draft, POR being able to come out of that draft with a high level lottery player (Cooper Flagg, Ace Bailey, Dylan Harper to name a few) could go a long way in helping them.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#91 » by DusterBuster » Wed May 1, 2024 5:09 pm

Some rumblings out of Orlando that Palao and Wagner may not be getting along according to 1080 this morning.

Would you all do Simons and the GSW pick (assuming its 14) for Wagner? Too much? Should Orlando be giving up a pick?
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,851

Post#92 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed May 1, 2024 5:29 pm

Orlando isn't trading Wagner for Simons. Or Simons and the 14th. Wagner is 6'10, 22 years old, has shown ball-handling capability and good scoring ability (though not good long-distance shooting yet). If they trade Wagner, it's part of an overall larger package for a star to pair with Paolo.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#93 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 1, 2024 7:29 pm

I would trade Simons and our own FRP for Wagner.

Franz is better by miles than any talent in this draft.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Post#94 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:36 am

I would think Orlando would trade Paolo before Wagner
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,008

Post#95 » by DusterBuster » Thu May 2, 2024 3:15 am

Norm2953 wrote:I would think Orlando would trade Paolo before Wagner

That’s insane. You must not watch much Magic.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#96 » by Milkdud » Thu May 2, 2024 3:15 am

I really like the idea of trading Simons to the Magic.

Simons + Whatever

Suggs/Issacs.

Yes please.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#97 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 2, 2024 3:47 am

Milkdud wrote:I really like the idea of trading Simons to the Magic.

Simons + Whatever

Suggs/Issacs.

Yes please.

This is a wild evaluation of Simons. One can dream but I think he is closer to Black or 2 protected FRPs.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#98 » by Milkdud » Thu May 2, 2024 4:09 am

Well that is fair.

I really think the Magics lack of a lead guard really muffles their success. I could be totally off but having a lead guard that can be both of playmaker and shot maker to me really unlocks and maximizes the Magics wings.

Shot in the dark but Simon for Suggs I personally would be down for. Expand as needed.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,546

Post#99 » by zzaj » Thu May 2, 2024 4:04 pm

Milkdud wrote:Well that is fair.

I really think the Magics lack of a lead guard really muffles their success. I could be totally off but having a lead guard that can be both of playmaker and shot maker to me really unlocks and maximizes the Magics wings.

Shot in the dark but Simon for Suggs I personally would be down for. Expand as needed.

The Magic aren't going to be moving off of Suggs any time soon, nor should they. He probably has twice the value of Simons, currently.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Post#100 » by Norm2953 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:01 pm

The trade with the Magic would be for Anthony Black and perhaps one of their 2025 FRP.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers