ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#281 » by Village Idiot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 pm

With our second pick Yves Missi is my favorite. The guy has size, length, athleticsm, great shot blocking instincts, solid defense overall with excellent switchability, sets solid screens, good hands and a fantastic motor. He hasn't been playing basketball long so there is hope that the shooting, ball-handling and feel for the game will develop with coaching and experience.

Given our current pre-lottery draft positioning I would like to come away with Buzelis and Missi.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#282 » by Goldbum » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 pm

I'm higher on Matas and Castle than the consensus.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,863

Post#283 » by Norm2953 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm

We're all waiting for May 12 when we'll get the results of the draft lottery. Draft is June 26.

Next comes the NBA combine when all the players with the exception of Euros like Topic, will get
measured, weighed and interviewed followed by the workouts.

Hopefully Portland will have a top 4 pick in this draft but it appears the NBA consensus will have Risacher,
Sarr, Topic as the top 3 in this draft which appears to me similar to the 2023 draft minus Victor, Miller
and Scoot. Strength in this draft might be in draftable bigs for there will be lots of these guys who will
make an NBA roster.

I'd like to see the team draft a Filipowski at 14, for he'll be a solid guy who will play 10-12 years in a
Kelly Olynyk role which is a career 10 ppg, 6 rbs. Team will end up with another project type of player
no matter who they pick at 4 but adding a Filipowski to the second unit likely will help more than the
guy they get at 4
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#284 » by Village Idiot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:12 pm

This draft is all over the place in terms of which mock/bog board has whom in what order. I've never seen anything like it.

Vecenie has:

1. Sarr
2. Topic
3. Castle
4. Sheppard
5. Clingan
6. Buzelis
7. Hollad
8. Risacher
9. Cody Williams
10. Dillingham

ESPN (Givorny and Woo)

1. Risacher
2. Sarr
3. Clingan
4. Dillingham
5. Topic
6. Buzelis
7. Sheppard
8. Castle
9. Knecht
10. Cody Williams

NBAdraft:

1. Risacher
2. Williams
3. Knecht
4. Sheppard
5. Sarr
6. Buzelis
7. Holland
8. Dillinghem
9. Terrence Shannon
10 Ja'kobe Walker

Theringer - Kevin O'Conner's big board

1. Castle
2. Sarr
3. Clingan
4. Topic
5. Buzelis
6. Knecht
7. Sheppard
8. Dillingham
9. Williams
10. Risacher

Bleacherreport - Wasserman

1. Sarr
2. Dillingham
3. Risacher
4. Sheppard
5. Topic
6. Castle
7. Holland
8. Knecht
9. Clingan
10. Buzelis

Hoopintellect

1. Sarr
2. Holland
3. Dillingham
4. Buzelis
5. Topic
6. Clingan
7. Risacher
8. Sheppard
9. Castle
10. Knecht
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#285 » by Norm2953 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

I would discount NBAdraft.net for they have the Blazers passing on Sarr to pick another 6-3
SG in Shepherd
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,763

Post#286 » by Case2012 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:31 am

I came around on Scoot the last part of the season but the only guy that screams star to me is Dillingham, it is what it is, but the guy is gonna be a star PG and I think if we pass him because of Scoot and anfernee we're going to be pissed for about it for years. He's got the IT factor, I think Sheppard and Topic have it as well but to a lesser extent. Matas could have a little of that as well but I don't see him as a star. Knecht could surprise some people with his scoring but I don't think he's a star, maybe more of a Kelly Oubre scorer off the bench.

I honestly have no idea who I would take with the first pick, I hate this draft.
Instagram: @casetwelve
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#287 » by Goldbum » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:11 pm

I'm hoping against hope that we leave this draft with Castle and one of Buzelis/Holland/Williams/Risacher
I think it's possible but will likely take Murray or Walker (probably Walker) and 1 or both 2nds.
The Ant to Orlando talk has reached a couple of front offices that think it's "more likely than not". I know for a fact that at least 1 Eastern conference team sees Jabari as a borderline starter that meets their needs. I wasn't told that they are trying to acquire him...just that they are very high on his fit and potential.
I know of 3 teams that inquired about Jerami.
I have no idea about Brogdon other than NYK looked into him around the deadline.
Portland is NOT shopping Timelord.

That's it that's all I can share. I remember being a teenager and refreshing Real GM constantly hoping someone with info would share what they know. So I try to give you all as much as I can.
I hope someone finds that info interesting.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,552

Post#288 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:30 pm

A lot will be determined by the combine, workouts and of course the actual lotto.

At this stage it's "In Schmitz we trust", for me. I love the Kentucky guards, and I believe the Uconn players will all be NBA players for a long time. IMHO, if the Blazers in the end feel like a 6'3" PG is the BPA, then I don't think they are in a position in the rebuild to be drafting for fit--especially given the strength of this draft. Go with BPA and let the chips fall where they may.

If the Blazers end up with Sheppard or Dillingham (or even Castle), I think this situation is different than Dame/CJ...the Blazers already have a bonafide SG in Sharpe (at least in terms of size). An added guard would slot in nicely as 6th man...especially if the Blazers pivot away from Brogdon and Ant.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,516

Post#289 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:06 pm

No more small guards.

The best wing available and Edey. The other picks can be used to trade out for picks in another draft.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#290 » by Walton1one » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:32 pm

I think Castle could work in a 3 guard rotation with Scoot & Sharpe, but you need to believe that Castle\Scoot's (one or both) shooting will come around, can't have 2 of them not able to shoot consistently from outside, also it would make sense to deal Simons away, and they should IMO. Castle is not small at 6'6, so he could swing some to SF (as can Sharpe).

Makes sense not to deal Timelord now, he needs to show he is healthy and rebuild some of his value and THEN POR should deal him (b\c I don't trust his health, but some playoff team could certainly think he is worth a shot come the trade deadline, provided you kept him healthy)

Brogdon should be dealt, he will be a FA next year & resigning him makes little sense, he has more value in trade than what he could give to this team right now. Grant they will want to get some value out of but again, a playoff team could see value there. I don't expect a ton back for him but an expiring\young player and \or pick could work. I just don't see him netting anything more than a modest return.

IMO, likely dealt would\should? be Brogdon\Simons\Thybulle. Grant\Timelord likely stay and may be dealt next trade deadline or offseason.

I would like to see POR emerge with one of the SF available (Buzelis\Holland\Risacher\Williams) and another player. Problem is, projected at #4 right now is either reaching for one of those players (except Riscaher, though he is falling down boards now to the range he was around LY) or hoping one falls to #14 (seems unlikely) or to the point above, having to trade up into the Top 10 to secure one of those players and I don't see a lot of teams in the top 10 that look like good trading partners. If they got ORL pick in a Simons deal could that entice a team to trade down from #7-#9 and take #14 & #16? Maybe? I have a hard time believing adding Walker to #14 would be enticing enough to move up into the Top 10, have to see how the lottery plays out. Maybe Memphis\Houston?

Maybe a swap of picks (#14 for MEM #7) and POR send Thybulle to MEM and takes back some bench players to match salary? Maybe POR throws a 24' 2nd rounder in as well?
zzaj
General Manager

Post#291 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:44 pm

Lol, it would be juuuuuuuust like the Blazers to trade into the lotto for a player of fit, in a weak draft!
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#292 » by Walton1one » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:54 pm

Would Thybulle or Walker be that big of a cost to pay? Heck, even adding a 2nd rounder to one of those players would not be too much IMO...

Then again, you stay put and look at guys like: Tyler Smith, Tristan Da Silva or Tidjane Salaun (maybe Johnny Furphy?)
zzaj
General Manager

Post#293 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:29 pm

Walton1one wrote:Would Thybulle or Walker be that big of a cost to pay? Heck, even adding a 2nd rounder to one of those players would not be too much IMO...

Then again, you stay put and look at guys like: Tyler Smith, Tristan Da Silva or Tidjane Salaun (maybe Johnny Furphy?)

Yeah, I'm not really disagreeing...I just think it'd be funny (and typical somehow) of the blazers.

Relatedly, I'd give up Matisse or Walker for Da Silva or Salaun in a heartbeat, even though I like both Players. This team needs to be in high-upside mode, and neither Walker or especially Matisse have that.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#294 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:43 pm

zzaj wrote:
Walton1one wrote:Would Thybulle or Walker be that big of a cost to pay? Heck, even adding a 2nd rounder to one of those players would not be too much IMO...

Yeah, I'm not really disagreeing...I just think it'd be funny (and typical somehow) of the blazers.

Relatedly, I'd give up Matisse or Walker for Da Silva or Salaun in a heartbeat, even though I like both Players. This team needs to be in high-upside mode, and neither Walker or especially Matisse have that.

I have such a hard time seeing Matisse or Walker having any significant value. Maybe high R2 at best, but not even sure on that for Walker (Think he would be worth much more if the 3PT shot developed, but in that case IDK if I would look to move him).

Da Silva strikes me as this classes Jacquez JR - but I think thats a pretty widely held belief. If you think he can hold up at SF full time the guys value skyrockets IMO.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#295 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:58 pm

It's been said that in this draft, the real value is the middle of the first round for there are guys like
De Silva sitting there in the teens, who will be plug and play guys while the guys in the lottery will
be projects with a higher ceiling.

If that's the case, the guys they pick at 14, 34 and 40 might be useful guys for just imagine if they
could get a Ryan Dunn at 34?
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#296 » by TheDraftGuy » Sun May 5, 2024 1:32 am

JRoy wrote:No more small guards.

The best wing available and Edey. The other picks can be used to trade out for picks in another draft.

Personally, I'd be down if Portland could draft Reed Sheppard, trade Simons or Scoot for Cody Williams, and use the Warriors pick on Edey.

Sheppard-Sharpe-Williams-Ayton with either Simons or Scoot+Edey off the bench would be the depth and defense that Portland needs.

Sheppard has some very favorable advanced stats for a PG that could determine a star from early on (which is the opposite of Scoot, mind you, who did not look so favorable to advanced stats), Cody Williams has two way playmaking wing upside, and Edey is a great Time Lord replacer with potential to be something more if he develops
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,515

Post#297 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 5, 2024 1:48 pm

TheDraftGuy wrote:

Personally, I'd be down if Portland could draft Reed Sheppard, trade Simons or Scoot for Cody Williams, and use the Warriors pick on Edey.

Sheppard-Sharpe-Williams-Ayton with either Simons or Scoot+Edey off the bench would be the depth and defense that Portland needs.

Sheppard has some very favorable advanced stats for a PG that could determine a star from early on (which is the opposite of Scoot, mind you, who did not look so favorable to advanced stats), Cody Williams has two way playmaking wing upside, and Edey is a great Time Lord replacer with potential to be something more if he develops

The Blazers won’t be trading Scoot. I don’t say that as a Stan, just a realist.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,884

Post#298 » by cdubbz » Sun May 5, 2024 6:22 pm

TheDraftGuy wrote:

Reed Sheppard at 5 is a good pick imo. Regardless of having Scoot or not Sheppard is arguably the BPA at 5 and even 4. Blazers don't need to trade Scoot (yet). They can use this year to see who stands out between the two of them imo.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#299 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:49 pm

Indeed no more small guards for if Scoot/Sharpe are the guards moving forward, where would Shepherd
play even if he's the BPA? Team is not dumping Scoot after one season.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,884

Post#300 » by cdubbz » Sun May 5, 2024 7:04 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Indeed no more small guards for if Scoot/Sharpe are the guards moving forward, where would Shepherd
play even if he's the BPA? Team is not dumping Scoot after one season.

Backup PG for Scoot. 30mpg for Scoot and 18-20mpg for Sheppard. Blazers don't need to trade Scoot at all.

Obviously we need to wait for the interviews and workouts, but Reed Sheppard looks a lot sharper then the other guys who look more raw like Buzelis and Holland.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers