ImageImage

Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Re: Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#41 » by tester551 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:01 am

zzaj wrote:
The timing is very unusual. And moving on from a coach’s hand selected assistants IS actually pretty unusual. It’s not like they are a huge albatross to payroll. They are essentially telling Billups, “we don’t think you did a good job choosing your staff, and your hand-chosen staff is not worth keeping.” Any warm blooded human would likely take umbrage with that.

I can agree with this take.
However IF this is the Blazers' position.... they are NOT wrong.

The staff Billups accumulated has been very underwhelming.

I had no problem with Roy Rogers & Steve Hetzel. They're at least experienced.

I didn't love Scott Brooks, but at least he had HC experience.

Matt Brase and Jonah Herscu had a little experience, but not much (1-2 years).

Edniesha Curry, Rodney Billups, & Mark Tyndale came in with no NBA coaching experience.

For a rookie HC with little to no coaching experience (at any level) to bring in that many assistants with little to no experience reeks of hubris. Ideally Billups would have had at least 2 assistants with prior HC experience and no more than 1 who was 'inexperienced'
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,875

Re: Mannix: Teams monitoring Billups situation, Blazers/Billups heading for split 

Post#42 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat May 11, 2024 6:48 am

I'm not saying Chauncey wouldn't take umbrage. Or that anyone wouldn't. But that's part of the job. When stuff isn't working out, sometimes you make changes. It doesn't necessarily mean letting contracts run out and not renewing means there's hidden ulterior motive to secrety force the coach to resign.

Like do we know if Brooks and Rodney were looking for more than one year? Were they looking for multi-years that would run past when Chauncey's contract expires?

With one assistant getting another position with New Jersey, did they want more money to extend? We don't know, I don't believe.

All due respect, but Chauncey is a grown man. If he decides he wants to resign because we didn't extend his nepotism hire or his head assistant, that's his choice. I think if Portland wanted to save money and secretly wanted to force him to resign, then Cronin wouldn't have been on record less than 24 hours after the season ended that Chauncey was coming back next year.

He's got one year left. I know there's this idea floating around that Jody is ullra cheap, but she's put a lot of money into improving facilities, improving the arena, getting a g-league team, hiring on a lot of employees and filling a lot of positions. She also gave an inexperienced head coach a lot of money on a long contract. The only real evidence of wanting to save money is the luxury tax business, but Paul hadn't been paying it either for quite a time, not with any type of consistency. There's maybe an argument for Olshey and finding reasons for him to get removed, but I mean - grown man, his choice to be a jerk and create a bad work environment.

And I'm not sure we should use KD as a barometer for coaches and decision making. Though I've no doubt Chauncey is well-liked by veterans, as we see with our own team - he's also represented by Kltuch, who makes no qualms about leaking stuff for leverage. And you know, there's one pretty famous Klutch client with one pretty big vacancy for head coach right now.

Also I wanted to add after I posted this - Portland has treated Klutch clients pretty well. I think the idea that they would forcibly try to underhand Chauncey to force him to resign, which would of course upset Klutch, after just giving Jerami Grant - also of Klutch - an insanely priced contract for the full five years last year.. doesn't really add up.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,086

Post#43 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat May 11, 2024 8:11 pm

When does Jody Allen have to sell the team by? Perhaps they're lining up to clear house for a sale?
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#44 » by zzaj » Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:I'm not saying Chauncey wouldn't take umbrage. Or that anyone wouldn't. But that's part of the job. When stuff isn't working out, sometimes you make changes. It doesn't necessarily mean letting contracts run out and not renewing means there's hidden ulterior motive to secrety force the coach to resign.

Like do we know if Brooks and Rodney were looking for more than one year? Were they looking for multi-years that would run past when Chauncey's contract expires?

With one assistant getting another position with New Jersey, did they want more money to extend? We don't know, I don't believe.

All due respect, but Chauncey is a grown man. If he decides he wants to resign because we didn't extend his nepotism hire or his head assistant, that's his choice. I think if Portland wanted to save money and secretly wanted to force him to resign, then Cronin wouldn't have been on record less than 24 hours after the season ended that Chauncey was coming back next year.

He's got one year left. I know there's this idea floating around that Jody is ullra cheap, but she's put a lot of money into improving facilities, improving the arena, getting a g-league team, hiring on a lot of employees and filling a lot of positions. She also gave an inexperienced head coach a lot of money on a long contract. The only real evidence of wanting to save money is the luxury tax business, but Paul hadn't been paying it either for quite a time, not with any type of consistency. There's maybe an argument for Olshey and finding reasons for him to get removed, but I mean - grown man, his choice to be a jerk and create a bad work environment.

And I'm not sure we should use KD as a barometer for coaches and decision making. Though I've no doubt Chauncey is well-liked by veterans, as we see with our own team - he's also represented by Kltuch, who makes no qualms about leaking stuff for leverage. And you know, there's one pretty famous Klutch client with one pretty big vacancy for head coach right now.

Also I wanted to add after I posted this - Portland has treated Klutch clients pretty well. I think the idea that they would forcibly try to underhand Chauncey to force him to resign, which would of course upset Klutch, after just giving Jerami Grant - also of Klutch - an insanely priced contract for the full five years last year.. doesn't really add up.

TSE, I’m not really disagreeing with you here…my original point was that IF it does come out that this was a Vulcan move as a way to clear out Chauncey by forcing him to resign rather than firing him, it’s a bad look for the franchise…
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,682

Post#45 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 12, 2024 3:33 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:When does Jody Allen have to sell the team by? Perhaps they're lining up to clear house for a sale?

As far as I know there's no deadline and if anything there's 150 million dollars annually going to her bank account to "manage" the blazers portion of Paul's estate
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun May 12, 2024 3:58 am

PDXKnight wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:When does Jody Allen have to sell the team by? Perhaps they're lining up to clear house for a sale?

As far as I know there's no deadline and if anything there's 150 million dollars annually going to her bank account to "manage" the blazers portion of Paul's estate

Are you sure? I thought there was a deadline.
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#47 » by DusterBuster » Sun May 12, 2024 8:13 am

Jody has actually spent on the team a decent amount. Particularly in the operations side. She’s not a bad owner from the business side, but she’s disconnected completely on the basketball side
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#48 » by Village Idiot » Sun May 12, 2024 3:11 pm

If Chauncey goes I like this Finnish coach Tuomas Iisalo, currently at Paris. Apparently he is really innovative both offensively and defensively. Watching this clip it looks like a lot of fun in any case.

"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#49 » by PDXKnight » Sun May 12, 2024 8:22 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

Gosh I hope you're right but from My understanding it could be indefinite more of less and the time line was more a suggestion than set in stone
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue May 14, 2024 1:01 am

PDXKnight wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

Gosh I hope you're right but from My understanding it could be indefinite more of less and the time line was more a suggestion than set in stone

https://frontofficesports.com/silver-nba-isnt-planning-to-force-a-trail-blazers-sale/

Found an article about it. His will said to sell the Blazers and Seahawks and donate the proceeds. Jody Allen said an estate the size of Paul Allen's can take 10-20 years to settle. The NBA typically doesn't like to have teams as part of an estate, but they're not going to force the Blazers to sell at this point.

Bah!
DaVoiceMaster
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#51 » by zzaj » Tue May 21, 2024 6:42 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:

https://frontofficesports.com/silver-nba-isnt-planning-to-force-a-trail-blazers-sale/

Found an article about it. His will said to sell the Blazers and Seahawks and donate the proceeds. Jody Allen said an estate the size of Paul Allen's can take 10-20 years to settle. The NBA typically doesn't like to have teams as part of an estate, but they're not going to force the Blazers to sell at this point.

Bah!

Yeah, here's the thing...I'm no estate planning attorney, but who actually could/would take Jody to task for keeping the team indefinitely? AFAIK, a will's requirements are only as strong as the money it takes to fight for them. And I don't see anybody that WOULD fight for PA's requirements, or could outspend Jody Allen.

I think the team will sell on Jody Allen's terms, not Paul Allen's.
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#52 » by PDXKnight » Yesterday 2:11 am

zzaj wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:

Bah!

Yeah, here's the thing...I'm no estate planning attorney, but who actually could/would take Jody to task for keeping the team indefinitely? AFAIK, a will's requirements are only as strong as the money it takes to fight for them. And I don't see anybody that WOULD fight for PA's requirements, or could outspend Jody Allen.

I think the team will sell on Jody Allen's terms, not Paul Allen's.

The only thing that could probably work at eliminating jody is a vote of the owners which doesn't seem likely currently but if she drags this on forever maybe they step in if we could only be so fortunate..

Of course I'm not holding my breath, but there's also some things that if if got the right attention she may have her hand forced a bit more. Ie allegations she sexually harassed a security guard in the past and trying to smuggle animal bones out of Africa as well

Return to Portland Trail Blazers