ImageImage

Grant Trade?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Grant Trade? 

Post#1 » by GreenRiddler » Tue May 14, 2024 9:35 pm

I don’t see how he fits this team too old and we probably only signed to appease Dame. He stifled Sharpe and Ayton the most imo.

Has some of the highest iso possessions per game and some of the lowest FG% in iso positions with a minimum number of attempts. I rather play small with Camara at 4 or Jabari. Freeing up touches for Sharpe and Ayton who came alive after Grant wasn’t plying.

He’s overpaid but still good for a team trying to win and needs his skills or a contender with dead weight that wants to pay the cap hit for the next 3 years in exchange for an expiring dead weight player.

I don’t see us getting a first for him given his contract. I can see us getting a 2nd and salary matching that’s expiring and maybe a young experiment like we got in Banton.

I like the lakers, grizzlies and Pistons. Pistons have been trying to win they have experience worth him and they need shooting.

There would have to be a 3rd team for Det to make the salary match.

Thoughts? What’s his value and do we trade him in June?
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Re: Grant Trade? 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 pm

I hope we move him for shorter contracts and a small asset or two.

He could help several teams but no one besides Jerami likes that contract.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#3 » by Butter » Tue May 14, 2024 10:31 pm

I'm wondering of a team like the Spurs would have any interest in him. He'd be a volume scorer to take the pressure off their other younger starters.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#4 » by Pattycakes » Tue May 14, 2024 11:45 pm

Someone will take him and we’ll get likely a future first rounder for the salary dump someone else is bound to respond to us with. He’s gotten underrated
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#5 » by Shem » Wed May 15, 2024 2:10 am

The problem with Grant (and Ant too) is that they're the big dogs in terms of who the team is going to defer to based on their age and experience (plus their salaries). That means Scoot and Sharpe will defer to them which will slow down their growth. This is why they both need to be traded.

And this team isn't going to take the next big step if Grant and Ant are the top dogs.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#6 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed May 15, 2024 4:38 am

Grant for Barnes/#13 has been discussed a lot.

I wonder if Detroit would step in and take Barnes, 7, and 14 for 5?

Yes, it amounts to a salary dump of Grant, which many of us have agreed there is little incentive for Portland to rush into. (To recap those reasons, a good start or whole season from Grant, plus one year less on his contract, may increase his attractiveness, whereas holding on to him without seeing any improvement in his play or health really doesn't hurt the team or the prospects of dumping him later.)

But if the Blazers can use nonessential assets to move up, they should consider it. Otherwise, they might find themselves left with small, slight guards and a whole lotta question marks on the board at 7. Of course, even at 5, the draft could end up going Sarr, Risacher, Holland, Castle in some order, leaving the Blazers with the same grab bag. At least they'd have Buzelis as an option.

Here's a needlessly convoluted version:

Detroit trades
Isaiah Stewart
2024 First Round Draft Pick (#5)
2024 Second Round Draft Pick (#53)

Detroit receives
Harrison Barnes
2024 First Round Draft Pick (#7)
2024 First Round Draft Pick (#14)

Detroit perspective
Veteran help, an extra first rounder, and removing the long-term money owed to Stewart are not a huge haul, but they may justify moving down just two spots.

Portland trades
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray
2024 Second Round Draft Pick (#40)

Portland receives
Marvin Bagley III (waived)
Davion Mitchell
2024 First Round Draft Pick (#13)

Portland perspective
The Blazers move up (twice!) to land their draft targets. The cost of Grant, Murray, and #40 is affordable. Speaking of affordability, the Blazers stay safely under the tax and shed millions off Grant's contract. It's possible neither Bagley nor Mitchell ever sees the practice facility.

Sacramento trades
Harrison Barnes
Davion Mitchell

Sacramento receives
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray

Sacramento perspective
Mixed reviews on this from Sacramento fans, but those who like it see a team closer to the top than the bottom of the league. I happen to agree. Sometimes a seemingly marginal upgrade can make a team wholly more dynamic. That's the gamble here. Reuniting the Murray brothers is a feel-good story.

Washington trades
Marvin Bagley III

Washington receives
Isaiah Stewart

Washington perspective
A playable big and two more shots at the draft. Is Stewart's contract bearable, though?
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#7 » by cdubbz » Thu May 16, 2024 12:35 am

I wouldn’t want to help the Kings get better.

I’m all aboard shedding salary but Mitchell & Bagley can make a roster spot.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#8 » by Butter » Thu May 16, 2024 1:57 am

cdubbz wrote:I wouldn’t want to help the Kings get better.

I’m all aboard shedding salary but Mitchell & Bagley can make a roster spot.

Agreed. Let's send Grant to another lottery team so they can win slightly more games, and we get a better shot in the lottery next year.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#9 » by Goldbum » Thu May 16, 2024 10:38 am

With the cap increase Grant's salary won't be erroneous. I think he's worth 2 first round picks plus an asset. I know for a fact that the Pacers are interested and think he can play next to Siakam. I would LOVE to get Jarace Walker, but I heard he wasn't on the table. Philadelphia has also expressed interest but I don't have any knowledge about those talks other than that they happened.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#10 » by Goldbum » Thu May 16, 2024 10:48 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Grant for Barnes/#13 has been discussed a lot.

I wonder if Detroit would step in and take Barnes, 7, and 14 for 5?

Yes, it amounts to a salary dump of Grant, which many of us have agreed there is little incentive for Portland to rush into. (To recap those reasons, a good start or whole season from Grant, plus one year less on his contract, may increase his attractiveness, whereas holding on to him without seeing any improvement in his play or health really doesn't hurt the team or the prospects of dumping him later.)

But if the Blazers can use nonessential assets to move up, they should consider it. Otherwise, they might find themselves left with small, slight guards and a whole lotta question marks on the board at 7. Of course, even at 5, the draft could end up going Sarr, Risacher, Holland, Castle in some order, leaving the Blazers with the same grab bag. At least they'd have Buzelis as an option.

Here's a needlessly convoluted version:

Detroit trades
Isaiah Stewart

Detroit receives
Harrison Barnes

Detroit perspective
Veteran help, an extra first rounder, and removing the long-term money owed to Stewart are not a huge haul, but they may justify moving down just two spots.

Portland trades
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray

Portland receives
Marvin Bagley III (waived)
Davion Mitchell

Portland perspective
The Blazers move up (twice!) to land their draft targets. The cost of Grant, Murray, and #40 is affordable. Speaking of affordability, the Blazers stay safely under the tax and shed millions off Grant's contract. It's possible neither Bagley nor Mitchell ever sees the practice facility.

Sacramento trades
Harrison Barnes
Davion Mitchell

Sacramento receives
Jerami Grant
Kris Murray

Sacramento perspective
Mixed reviews on this from Sacramento fans, but those who like it see a team closer to the top than the bottom of the league. I happen to agree. Sometimes a seemingly marginal upgrade can make a team wholly more dynamic. That's the gamble here. Reuniting the Murray brothers is a feel-good story.

Washington trades
Marvin Bagley III

Washington receives
Isaiah Stewart

Washington perspective
A playable big and two more shots at the draft. Is Stewart's contract bearable, though?

I love this trade Tim. Even though I think we can get more the deal makes too much sense. Hopefully can get off of both Ant and Malcom for nice packages. Moving from 13 to 14 means we're more likely to get a guy who falls. I do wonder if we could get up again into the top 10 with our remaining 2nd and loose assets... maybe something around Timelord to the Grizzlies??? I don't know just spit balling
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#11 » by JasonStern » Thu May 16, 2024 5:02 pm

Goldbum wrote:With the cap increase Grant's salary won't be erroneous. I think he's worth 2 first round picks plus an asset.

You're supposed to green text jokes so that people know you aren't serious.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#12 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 17, 2024 7:50 am

I'm checked out on this team until I know there's a superstar talent to build around on it or Jodie sells to Phil Knight. Latter aint **** happening, so I guess waiting for the next Blazer great to come along.

so trade grant, keep him, whatever. Same with brogdon, ayton, simons, sharpe, scoot, whoever. give me a player i can hang my hat on, right now, there is none.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#13 » by DusterBuster » Fri May 17, 2024 7:54 am

JasonStern wrote:
Goldbum wrote:With the cap increase Grant's salary won't be erroneous. I think he's worth 2 first round picks plus an asset.

You're supposed to green text jokes so that people know you aren't serious.

I agree with the 2 first round picks part (first rounders could be heavily protected for all we know, and I also just think FRP's are becoming wildly overrated the more teams throw them around like candy).

So I dont discount what Goldbum said. If the Thunder threw two of there lesser firsts and maybe a 8th rotation bench as the "asset"... that lines up. Same for Nets.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#14 » by JasonStern » Fri May 17, 2024 8:45 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I'm checked out on this team until I know there's a superstar talent to build around on it or Jodie sells to Phil Knight. Latter aint **** happening, so I guess waiting for the next Blazer great to come along.

so trade grant, keep him, whatever. Same with brogdon, ayton, simons, sharpe, scoot, whoever. give me a player i can hang my hat on, right now, there is none.

"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,649

Post#15 » by raferfenix » Fri May 17, 2024 11:29 pm

Bucks were linked to Grant when he was with Detroit.

What do we think about another trade between our teams?

From October 2022:

ESPN’s Zach Lowe said on his podcast that Milwaukee was “sneakily kind of sniffing around Jerami Grant” before he got traded to the Portland Trail Blazers. Lowe added that the Bucks like the idea of adding switchable guys, which is precisely what Grant is. Due to his scoring, defense, and versatility, Grant would be a perfect fit with the Bucks, but the Blazers swooped in and got him from the Detroit Pistons.

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2022/10/07/gathering-latest-milwaukee-bucks-trade-rumors-before-2022-23-season/
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#16 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 17, 2024 11:39 pm

raferfenix wrote:Bucks were linked to Grant when he was with Detroit.

From October 2022:

ESPN’s Zach Lowe said on his podcast that Milwaukee was “sneakily kind of sniffing around Jerami Grant” before he got traded to the Portland Trail Blazers. Lowe added that the Bucks like the idea of adding switchable guys, which is precisely what Grant is. Due to his scoring, defense, and versatility, Grant would be a perfect fit with the Bucks, but the Blazers swooped in and got him from the Detroit Pistons.

https://behindthebuckpass.com/2022/10/07/gathering-latest-milwaukee-bucks-trade-rumors-before-2022-23-season/

I would swap Grant for any salary MIL can make match if they pony up their 2031 FRP with little or no protections.

Grant and Dame are boys too.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#17 » by tester551 » Sat May 18, 2024 12:27 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

From October 2022:

I would swap Grant for any salary MIL can make match if they pony up their 2031 FRP with little or no protections.

Milwaukee is in a tough spot financially.

Looks like the only trade ballast that they'd have available is Middleton or Lopez + Connaughton

I'd pull the trigger for Middleton + '31 FRP for Grant.

I think you could flip Middleton for additional assets around the league. Maybe a John Collins + Picks from Utah or Rui + Vanderbilt + Picks from Lakers.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#18 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 18, 2024 12:29 am

tester551 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

From October 2022:

Milwaukee is in a tough spot financially.

Looks like the only trade ballast that they'd have available is Middleton or Lopez + Connaughton

I'd pull the trigger for Middleton + '31 FRP for Grant.

I think you could flip Middleton for additional assets around the league. Maybe a John Collins + Picks from Utah or Rui + Vanderbilt + Picks from Lakers.

I think Middleton is worth more than grant potentially. We'd need to take out the first and probably get that pick (or 2) flipping Middleton in a 3 way deal
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,649

Post#19 » by raferfenix » Sat May 18, 2024 12:58 am

Appreciating your posts thanks.

What about #23 this year instead of the 2031 first? Bucks also have your #33 pick if you want that back.

Lopez + Connaughton would work financially.

Middleton and Bobby have plenty of value to Milwaukee but if we were to move either (in this deal or a follow up) Grant sure would make it easier to replace their offensive output as well.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#20 » by tester551 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:08 am

raferfenix wrote:Appreciating your posts thanks.

What about #23 this year instead of the 2031 first? Bucks also have your #33 pick if you want that back.

Lopez + Connaughton would work financially.

Middleton and Bobby have plenty of value to Milwaukee but if we were to move either (in this deal or a follow up) Grant sure would make it easier to replace their offensive output as well.

I'd only trade Grant for Lopez + Pat + #23 if:
1) Portland could swap #23 to Chicago for their own pick back
2) They had follow up trades on the table for both Lopez and Pat

Return to Portland Trail Blazers