ImageImage

Grant Trade?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Re: Grant Trade? 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 18, 2024 3:14 am

Dame has been making cryptic messages so perhaps a Grant trade to Milwaukee is in the works

This does depend however on what Portland is drafting in the 2024 draft for there would need
a follow up trade to send Lopez elsewhere if Portland drafts a big in the 2024 draft
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,033

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat May 18, 2024 3:48 am

tester551 wrote:
raferfenix wrote:Appreciating your posts thanks.

What about #23 this year instead of the 2031 first? Bucks also have your #33 pick if you want that back.

Lopez + Connaughton would work financially.

Middleton and Bobby have plenty of value to Milwaukee but if we were to move either (in this deal or a follow up) Grant sure would make it easier to replace their offensive output as well.

I'd only trade Grant for Lopez + Pat + #23 if:
1) Portland could swap #23 to Chicago for their own pick back
2) They had follow up trades on the table for both Lopez and Pat

Love those ideas.

PDX OUT - Jerami Grant
PDX IN - Osumane Dieng, Pat Connaughton, 2025 OKC or MIA FRP (Lower), FRP returned from CHI

MIL OUT - Brook Lopez, Pat Connaughton, #23
MIL IN - Jerami Grant

OKC OUT - Osumane Dieng, 2025 OKC or MIA FRP (Lower)
OKC IN - Brook Lopez

CHI OUT - PDX FRP
CHI IN - #23

Think this works pretty well all around.
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,785

Post#23 » by Case2012 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:23 am

There's no point in worrying about getting our pick back from chicago, this team is going no where for years. The time to get it back was 2 years ago when we could have gone all in around Dame. I would take the 23rd pick for this year and take Ryan Dunn, along with Edey at 14 and one of Holland, Williams, or Castle at 7. The team defense would be INSANE with Scoot, Shaedon, Thybulle, Castle/Holland/Williams, Dunn, and Edey.
Instagram: @casetwelve
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat May 18, 2024 5:30 am

Case2012 wrote:There's no point in worrying about getting our pick back from chicago, this team is going no where for years. The time to get it back was 2 years ago when we could have gone all in around Dame. I would take the 23rd pick for this year and take Ryan Dunn, along with Edey at 14 and one of Holland, Williams, or Castle at 7. The team defense would be INSANE with Scoot, Shaedon, Thybulle, Castle/Holland/Williams, Dunn, and Edey.

We probably could combine 34 and 40 to get a pick around 25 IMO.

Bad or not getting the CHI pick back ensures we have total control over our future. I am not optimistic on this team being good anytime soon but at the same time there is a decent chance we are a decent team in a few years and right now we don’t have control over our picks until 20 freaking 29.

My god Olshey was a half wit.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#25 » by Case2012 » Sat May 18, 2024 5:50 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Case2012 wrote:There's no point in worrying about getting our pick back from chicago, this team is going no where for years. The time to get it back was 2 years ago when we could have gone all in around Dame. I would take the 23rd pick for this year and take Ryan Dunn, along with Edey at 14 and one of Holland, Williams, or Castle at 7. The team defense would be INSANE with Scoot, Shaedon, Thybulle, Castle/Holland/Williams, Dunn, and Edey.

Bad or not getting the CHI pick back ensures we have total control over our future. I am not optimistic on this team being good anytime soon but at the same time there is a decent chance we are a decent team in a few years and right now we don’t have control over our picks until 20 freaking 29.

sure, but we could always trade for it next year or the year after. I just really want Edey and Dunn this year in addition to one of the wings at 7 and with Grant, Brogdon, Simons and hopefully RW on the way out this summer or at the deadline we wont have to worry about the playoffs for at least 2 more seasons if we're very lucky.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Sat May 18, 2024 6:14 am

JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I'm checked out on this team until I know there's a superstar talent to build around on it or Jodie sells to Phil Knight. Latter aint **** happening, so I guess waiting for the next Blazer great to come along.

so trade grant, keep him, whatever. Same with brogdon, ayton, simons, sharpe, scoot, whoever. give me a player i can hang my hat on, right now, there is none.

I’m not hating on Sharpe. He’s got great potential, but I’m a believer in the theory that you’re either a clear star or you’re a maybe star. He’s firmly in the “maybe star” category and even if he hits that, I don’t see the Dame / Kobe / Ant Edwards irrational confidence mentality of “I’m better than you even on my worst day and want to destroy you”.

What’s making me even less interested in this next generation (and why I dgas who you trade) is I saw that mentality coming out of Wemby. If that sticks… it’s **** over for a decade. Mark my words (site will probably close by this time, so w/e), Wemby will break the single game scoring record.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#27 » by DusterBuster » Sat May 18, 2024 6:17 am

Case2012 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

sure, but we could always trade for it next year or the year after. I just really want Edey and Dunn this year in addition to one of the wings at 7 and with Grant, Brogdon, Simons and hopefully RW on the way out this summer or at the deadline we wont have to worry about the playoffs for at least 2 more seasons if we're very lucky.

I’m not a talent evaluator at all, so my opinion means jack ****, but I want to zig against everyone else’s zag with Edey. He’s being **** on so heavily, but he’s so skilled…
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by Case2012 » Sat May 18, 2024 6:35 am

If Wemby is the next all time great, Edey is going to be the only guy that can match up with him physically for the next decade, so if we ever want to win anything in the west we need him. He shot the 3 better than a lot of the top prospects that were guards, he's the real deal and I would be very tempted to take him at 7, and just take the wing that slips at 14 which will probably be Salaun, Williams, or Knecht and I could live with any of them.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 556

Post#29 » by Goldbum » Sat May 18, 2024 11:21 am

Scouts opinions on Edey are all over the place. The thing is it only takes 1 team to buy in and he goes lottery. He's an even bigger swing than Salaun...if he hits he's a guy who could change a playoff series...if he busts he's an all time great in Europe.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#30 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat May 18, 2024 3:29 pm

Case2012 wrote:If Wemby is the next all time great, Edey is going to be the only guy that can match up with him physically for the next decade, so if we ever want to win anything in the west we need him. He shot the 3 better than a lot of the top prospects that were guards, he's the real deal and I would be very tempted to take him at 7, and just take the wing that slips at 14 which will probably be Salaun, Williams, or Knecht and I could live with any of them.

I like Edey but Wemby athletically will dance around him. Wemby is a freak of the highest nature. If he stays healthy the league is going to be done for like 10 years. He has ‘get more rings than MJ’ talent. Like, I think the kid will be comfortably considered a better NBA player than LBJ by the time he retires. He is a god.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#31 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat May 18, 2024 7:21 pm

I've not seen Edey play, but isn't he a bit slow?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#32 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:31 pm

He's 7-4 300 lbs but showed up well this week at the combine in his agility and shooting
drills.

Comparing to Wemby isn't athletically the same for while Victor can dance circles around Edey,
Edey has something like 70 lbs on Victor which means on the low box, he would have front Edey
for he can't hold position if Edey catches the ball

I've heard Memphis is seriously thinking about taking Edey at 9 with Clingan going third to
Houston. Unlikely either will be a Blazer
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#33 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 18, 2024 7:35 pm

Norm2953 wrote:He's 7-4 300 lbs but showed up well this week at the combine in his agility and shooting
drills.

Comparing to Wemby isn't athletically the same for while Victor can dance circles around Edey,
Edey has something like 70 lbs on Victor which means on the low box, he would have front Edey

I've heard Memphis is seriously thinking about taking Edey at 9 with Clingan going third to

In this weak draft I think 7 and 14 is enough to move up to 1 or 2 maybe depending on what teams are after. But I'm not sure it's worth it because of the parity in the lotto
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#34 » by PDXKnight » Sat May 18, 2024 7:38 pm

I'm super curious what grant is worth on the open market as we got him for a single first when he was slightly younger. He is inked to a longer deal so maybe that helps or hurts depending on how you look at it, but it would be nice to at least come away with what we paid for him (expiring and a first) or Maybe even a slight pick up whether it's another first or a role player
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#35 » by Norm2953 » Sat May 18, 2024 7:50 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:He's 7-4 300 lbs but showed up well this week at the combine in his agility and shooting
drills.

In this weak draft I think 7 and 14 is enough to move up to 1 or 2 maybe depending on what teams are after. But I'm not sure it's worth it because of the parity in the lotto

I'd trade 7,14 to get to 1 but doubt Atlanta would do it.

Houston at 3 and perhaps the Wizards at 2 would love to trade down but I'm not trading up for Clingan
for I'd draft Edey at 7 if the alternative was a non shooter (Holland) or one of the 6-1 UK guards and
take BPA at 14,

I think Portland with picks 7,14, 34 and 40 is sitting pretty to add solid pieces to the roster with more
upside than they have now. Salaun would be a HR at 14. If they did choose Holland at 7, adding him with
Missi at 14 is a lot of defensive potential for next season.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 872

Post#36 » by tester551 » Sat May 18, 2024 9:09 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I've not seen Edey play, but isn't he a bit slow?

Slow is relative.

For a guy his size, he's quite mobile IMO.

He tested faster than Clingan at the combine. When I watch the two in games - there's not much difference in speed.
Yet Clingan is being talked about as a Top 5 talent (who played ~22 minutes a game) while Edey is being talked about as a second rounder (when he played ~34 minutes a game). The extra game time affects the energy level and the perceived 'quickness' between the two.

I have Edey above Clingan on my board, but I would not take either before ~pick #14
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Case2012 » Sun May 19, 2024 5:33 am

Edey put up 37 and 10 against Clingan in the title game, he's got a per of 40, 7'11 wingspan, and is more agile than the other top centers in the speed tests, has amazing touch, made 13/25 3's in the 3 drills, and would man handle Wemby in the post and probably put him in foul trouble. The issue would be guarding him on the perimeter, but he's quicker than we thought.

For what it's worth I can see Mike taking wings with both picks since Ayton is 25, we have TL still and it sounds like they want to keep him for some insane reason, along with Reath. But man... Scoot and Edey in the pnr would be legendary stuff. I would take him at 7 and the best wing available at 14. I think with where we're at I'm really ok with gambling on high potential guys whereas in the past I've wanted more nba ready guys for obvious reasons, but we're going nowhere the next 3-4 years and that's if we're lucky, so you might as well swing for the fences with Edey and Salaun.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Post#38 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun May 19, 2024 6:13 pm

At some point, being risk averse higher in the draft becomes just a reach or a smart reach with Salaun — who is definitely raw and young with flashes. But what’s that number?
7 or 8. And that’s a reach.

The Spurs need a PG for Wemby and need to hit with 4. They need their 2nd all star, but they can take a bigger risk with Wemby in hand since free agents will want to go there when the Spurs decide they’re ready to compete. [The biggest time constraint is that Popovich is OLD (75). Waiting isn’t much of an option for him.] And IMHO, the Spurs aren’t as able to suck as much next year. If Risacher falls to 4, they may wait for their PG at 8. But Topic just makes sense with the Spurs, so 8 is where Salaun could go.

I’ll be surprised if Salaun is around at 14 even though most boards have him there or lower. This year’s draft gives psychological cover for a reach. The difficulty for Portland is not as much Salaun at 7 as it is guys like Sheppard and/or Dillingham going higher and leaving Castle or Clingan or another safer but talented player on the board at 7. Or they could still swing big and go with the high upside of Cody Williams at a position of need.

I’m not going to convince myself that Salaun is who Portland should pick at 7 — but IMHO, Cronin and Schmitz will see what he can be and will take the risk.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#39 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:37 pm

tester551 wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:I've not seen Edey play, but isn't he a bit slow?

Slow is relative.

For a guy his size, he's quite mobile IMO.

He tested faster than Clingan at the combine. When I watch the two in games - there's not much difference in speed.
Yet Clingan is being talked about as a Top 5 talent (who played ~22 minutes a game) while Edey is being talked about as a second rounder (when he played ~34 minutes a game). The extra game time affects the energy level and the perceived 'quickness' between the two.

I have Edey above Clingan on my board, but I would not take either before ~pick #14

There is a real chance Clingan goes third to Houston. Houston which has had a lot of quality bigs over the years,
is just loaded with wings. Topic could go third if teams think he's healthy
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#40 » by Walton1one » Mon May 20, 2024 6:38 pm

Yeah, I think as we get closer to the draft, Salaun may be the pick, he is probably going Top 10, and if Risacher\Castle\Buzelis & Holland are gone (looking more likely unfortunately), he makes more sense than Clingan\Williams\Knecht. PF profile, young, playing well in a professional league, worth the risk and POR can pick up a big at #14 if they are inclined to do so, as likely guys like Missi\Edey\Holmes\Ware(yuck) will likely be there.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers