ImageImage

Stein Chat - Blazers Question

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Stein Chat - Blazers Question 

Post#1 » by Fitz303 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:17 pm

Matt (Beaverton, Oregon): I'm glad to see the Blazers ranked in the top 10, but I disagree with your recent statement that they are a serious playoff contender. I love my Blazers, but they are a year away -- and not just because of Greg Oden. I think Oden will be a hindrance in his first year back while recovering from his knee. This team trusts each other and these guys are confident, but we are missing key elements that serious playoff teams have: A CONSISTENT 3-point sharpshooter, a certified superstar (Brandon Roy is close, but not there yet) and a bench capable of keeping up the intensity (one solid veteran player away, NOT Darius Miles). Basically I'm proud, but I'm realistic. This team will give fits to serious playoff contenders due to their hustle and 'don't quit' attitude. I'm happy to see you guys giving us our props, though.

SportsNation Marc Stein: Realistic fans always welcome here. The Blazers are obviously the team everyone's expecting to drop out of the top eight to make way for Utah, but I'm not assuming anything after they just went 16-1.

SportsNation Marc Stein: Sixteen and one.

What is this Blazers fan talking about?? Now im not saying that we are going to the playoffs, but what team is he watching? We're missing a CONSISTENT 3pt shooter? The last time I checked, the league leading 3pt shooter was on the blazers. Along with the 8th best 3pt shooter in the league in Steve Blake.. Thats not even including Webster, who can stroke it, and Roy, Jack, and Outlaw, who can also all hit from that range.

A certified superstar? I didnt know that Baron Davis, was the GSW superstar that Portland doesnt have, and Utah's Deron Williams is the Superstar thats far ahead of Brandon Roy.

And a BENCH that brings intensity?? are you EFFing kidding me?? Our Bench ranks 3RD IN THE NBA as per hoopsstats.com ( http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball/fa ... le/08/24/7 - for those who want to check out the stats)

Of course Stein takes the dumbest possible question from a Blazers fan
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#2 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:34 pm

Other than Outlaw being a consistent three point shooter, I generally agree with you. I would say that most in the league consider DWill and Baron Davis to be more "superstar" than Roy is at the moment, though, but it's not so farfetched to consider Roy in that category after all the props he has been given in the last month.
ph1sh55
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by ph1sh55 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:23 pm

Man I sure hope thats not the Matt in beaverton I know.. lol
His analysis couldn't be more off base...now if he had mentioned our lack of points in the paint and a low post presence as a threat to our success I'd be more inclined to agree with him. But he basically listed all of our strengths. Bench, one player who can take over the game down the stretch (roy), and consistent 3 point shooting. I agree with the OP, what the heck has this guy been watching!
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Mr Odd » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:50 pm

Its going to be very, very hard to
get into the playoffs this season.. .

We do have two sharpshooters but
& a few other guys who can at times
knock down the outside shot, but I
think that point he made is good.. .
The reason why I think that is the
good teams that go far in the playoffs
usually have about 4-5 sharpshooters.
So we will either need to pick a few
players up or some of the players we
have now need to develop into that.. .
But developing into a great shooter is
a pretty tough thing to do, its almost
a skill that you have or dont have.. .

Its extremely tough to get to the finals
without a "superstar" type of player.. .
Its not unheard of however. Roy isnt
a superstar, the Blazers dont have a
superstar. Theres a chance Roy could
become one, but his game mentally
so far is not that. LMA, I doubt he will
become one.. .Oden, cant tell yet.. .
We dont have to have a superstar to
get to the finals & win, but just about
all the teams that win it all have one.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
AKBlazerFan
Sixth Man
And1: 185

Post#5 » by AKBlazerFan » Tue Jan 8, 2008 1:48 am

That guy literally said the opposite of what i would have...Its like he hasnt watched one game or seen any stats.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#6 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:16 am

What the Blazers are missing is an inside presence. Oden will give them that presence next season. It would be nice to have another big man off the bench who can do that with the 2nd unit. How's Freeland's inside game?

Inside presence and experience will be what either keeps Portland out of the playoffs or doesn't get them very far IN the playoffs. I'm still undecided as to whether they make the playoffs or not.

Frankly, I don't really care. If they make the playoffs, that'd be awesome, but I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't make the playoffs. They've already surpassed whatever expectations I had of them this season.

Go Blazers!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
CounterLead
Sophomore

Post#7 » by CounterLead » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:40 am

I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't make the playoffs.

I envy you, you obviously have better control over your emotions and have more of an ability to think realistically. I was disappointed when we didn't make the playoffs last season . . :crazy:
J.R. RIDER FAN FOR LIFE
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#8 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:52 pm

CounterLead wrote:
I wouldn't be disappointed if they didn't make the playoffs.

I envy you, you obviously have better control over your emotions and have more of an ability to think realistically. I was disappointed when we didn't make the playoffs last season . . :crazy:

You must have been disappointed starting in about January, then ;)
listerine
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by listerine » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:21 pm

I bet that "Matt" is a KP plant. He's trying to disrupt all the scouting reports in the league by disseminating fraudulent information about the team. Now coaches who rely solely Marc Stein for their intel will think, "Ha! Now we know the trick to defeating the Blazers! Let's leave their shooters open because none of them can consistently hit the outside shot! We'll also make our run when their bench comes into the game because their bench doesn't have intensity!"

Shrewd, KP. Shrewd.
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#10 » by UGotThrilled » Tue Jan 8, 2008 8:22 pm

I bet that "Matt" is a KP plant. He's trying to disrupt all the scouting reports in the league by disseminating fraudulent information about the team. Now coaches who rely solely Marc Stein for their intel will think, "Ha! Now we know the trick to defeating the Blazers! Let's leave their shooters open because none of them can consistently hit the outside shot! We'll also make our run when their bench comes into the game because their bench doesn't have intensity!"

Shrewd, KP. Shrewd.

LOL :) We need to remember that we are talking about making it into playoffs, not winning the championship. It doesnt necessarily take a superstar to make it into the playoffs, although its nice. If it hadnt been for Golden State last year, everyone would probably saying it takes a tough big man to make it into the playoffs. They won a series! my point is not that we will make the playoffs, but rather that we dont necessarily need a certain formula... we need to win games. It is harder to win games without certain pieces, but not impossible. and that guy is ridiculous. he listed a lot of our strengths.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers