Canzano says the fans turned the team around

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Canzano says the fans turned the team around 

Post#1 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:54 pm

In a way, what he's really saying is that his and Quick's muckraking piled on long enough that the fans came to hate the team but that eventually led to the likeable team we have now. Like any muckraker, he depends on his readers to do his bidding. I think he sees himself as sort of a heroic chemotherapy that helped rid the Blazers of their cancer.

Its an annoying article IMO, but it's news, so here ya go:
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... xml&coll=7
R11
Junior
And1: 4

Post#2 » by R11 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:21 pm

I didn't read this article and I'm not going to, but I accused him of thinking he was some kind of crusader a long time ago and he flat out denied it :roll:. Here was his response at the time (7/8/05):

Ron:

I'm not a crusader. I just write my opinion. I don't hedge. I don't kiss rear ends. If someone is deserving, I write it. If someone isn't, I write it.

I'm not afraid to be wrong on predictions because if I were, like a lot of others, I wouldn't make them. I write what I think. Just as you might.

JC

He's just a hugely egocentric, non-truthful windbag IMO.

ron
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:41 pm

R11 wrote:
He's just a hugely egocentric, non-truthful windbag IMO.

ron

That's probably why he signs his emails as "JC." He wants people to confuse him with Jesus.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,878

Post#4 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:57 pm

Actually that reminds me of an amusing story.

I wrote him something and I signed it with my initials. He wrote me back and told me if I couldn't put my name on something then it musn't mean anything.

Then he signed with his initials.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:16 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:Actually that reminds me of an amusing story.

I wrote him something and I signed it with my initials. He wrote me back and told me if I couldn't put my name on something then it musn't mean anything.

That's both amusing and ironic.

Oh the humanity!
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#6 » by d-train » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:19 pm

I've been working on my jump shot and it
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#7 » by d-train » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:24 pm

Are you serious going to try to draw a parallel between yourself and John Canzano? Don't you understand the difference between you and a real celebrity? :noway:
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,878

Post#8 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:57 pm

I am sorry. How very wrong of me.

I will go give myself ten lashes.
Voodoo
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#9 » by Voodoo » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:36 pm

d-train wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Are you serious going to try to draw a parallel between yourself and John Canzano? Don't you understand the difference between you and a real celebrity? :noway:

Hah, dear god I hate Canzano so much! How much longer must we suffer through this guy before the Oregonian replaces him?
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#10 » by farzi » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:25 pm

I like canzano... :l
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#11 » by SalemStoner » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:31 am

farzi wrote:I like canzano... :l
I'd welcome you to the minority, but well, in this instance there's a good chance you're actually the first poster on these boards to say that.
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#12 » by Milkdud » Tue Jan 8, 2008 2:39 am

and the last..... He's an asshat.
Yangsing
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#13 » by Yangsing » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:56 am

I don't hate nor like Canzano. I treat him like every other talking head. Not seriously.
swede
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#14 » by swede » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:33 am

He is like a poor man's Bill Simmons. I would have rather had Zach Randolph write about our team when he was still on it.
Cyborg21 wrote:Screw you Batum, throwing us under the bus, I hope we destroy these scum next year.
Twith
Senior

Post#15 » by Twith » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:04 am

He's just kissing asses trying to get back into people's favor. Honestly, would any other city NOT have done the exact same thing we did? When we were winning with thugs on our team you didn't see much protest.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#16 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:17 am

Funniest thing I've read in a while.

Thanks for that.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by DeezXXnutZ » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:49 am

Milkdud wrote:and the last..... He's an asshat.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:52 pm

Twith wrote:He's just kissing asses trying to get back into people's favor. Honestly, would any other city NOT have done the exact same thing we did? When we were winning with thugs on our team you didn't see much protest.

No, he's crowing about how great he is but trying to disguise it as praise for the fans. He, among the Oregonian reporters, was practically breathless in his reporting on every minute detail that he could spin as bad. Even when they were winning, he revelled in pointing out the flaws of the team members, even in cases where there really were no flaws to be found. Basically, he had declared war on the team and called his personal vendetta "reportorial integrity."

I don't normally like to use these kinds of words, but I think the previous use of "asshat" really does sum it up.
Voodoo
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#19 » by Voodoo » Tue Jan 8, 2008 7:43 pm

I hated the guy even before I read what TSE wrote, but after reading that, that just makes me hate the guy all over again. That guy is such an egomaniac he makes certain politicians look grounded with a bit of humility.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#20 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:08 am

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

No, he's crowing about how great he is but trying to disguise it as praise for the fans. He, among the Oregonian reporters, was practically breathless in his reporting on every minute detail that he could spin as bad. Even when they were winning, he revelled in pointing out the flaws of the team members, even in cases where there really were no flaws to be found. Basically, he had declared war on the team and called his personal vendetta "reportorial integrity."

I don't normally like to use these kinds of words, but I think the previous use of "asshat" really does sum it up.

Well put, but it's worth remembering that Quick and the rest were willing participants in this crusade. To paraphrase Gundy, the editor who let all that crap get published is garbage.
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Portland Trail Blazers