Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Praise for Roy 

Post#1 » by breaker91 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:48 pm

From the Detroit news

Rising star

Brandon Roy is the best young player you've hardly ever seen play. He triggered Portland's recent 13-game win streak by averaging 22.8 points, 5.6 rebounds and 6.6 assists.

Said 76ers assistant coach Henry Bibby, "You can't guard him. He shoots from the outside, puts it on the floor and he can post up. Eventually, you have to go at him (defensively) like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. He is right up there with the elite players. He's not far away from being a superstar."

Wow I hope this doesn't go to his head.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 0314/1127/
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#2 » by Spykes » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:53 pm

Roy is a grounded enough person to not let this kinda of stuff inflate his ego or get to his head.
pdxblazers92087
Pro Prospect

Post#3 » by pdxblazers92087 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:00 pm

if roy was more of a dunker i think he'd have even more hype around him. Roy has the ability to get up what a 39in verticle coming into the league but he prefers laying it in. I think over time even more people will come to love roys silky smooth style just as i have.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by Mr Odd » Mon Jan 7, 2008 6:02 pm

Roy is so far removed from that way of thinking.. .
Remember this is the same guy that needed to be
pushed into the roll of scoring in all periods of the
game & not just the 4th. Infact I think he should
take more shots a game, he can prob avg 26ppg.

Anyway, its nice to see hes getting east coast props.
The NBA is ran from over there so if Roy is ever
going to be a "superstar" hes going need that.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#5 » by BlackMamba » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:31 pm

wow, in the same group as lebron and kobe? that would deffintelly be awesome.

and i also think that roy looks to be a very mature person and won't let this get to his head.
candy for lunch
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by candy for lunch » Mon Jan 7, 2008 7:37 pm

I guess this is the second time he's been mentioned in the same sentence as James and Kobe, the first being on Inside the NBA where Magic said he was the 3rd best all around player in the league- which implies those two guys are ahead of him.
b_roy7
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#7 » by b_roy7 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:42 am

Spykes wrote:Roy is a grounded enough person to not let this kinda of stuff inflate his ego or get to his head.
QFT. That's why I love him enough to name my RealGM username after him. 8) He could be MJ and not give a sh**, playing his best and not talking hardly. I love the statement Michael Barrett made on TV, saying something like: "Brandon played the 1st few minutes show his teammates he tried and that influenced them to win the game for him". Bad memory, someone else with CSN can clarify that if they can/want. It's not often a group of great players(Roy, Aldridge, Oden) in today's NBA care more about their team then themselves and their rep.[/quote]
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Tue Jan 8, 2008 4:48 am

I wouldn't go as far as to name roy with Wade, Lebron, ect. talent-wise but he's definitely one of the best all-around NBA players. While there are more talented players out there, I'd take Roy over most of them because of his desire to win and his ability to step it up when needed and playmake at other times. Roy will most likely never be a league MVP but he's definitely among the leaders in his impact on his team.
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#9 » by UGotThrilled » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:46 am

Yea, we should be very thankful that he is on our team. I dont know if he will ever be a Kobe or a Wade, but I think he has a shot at becoming really special.
Dakotah612
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Dakotah612 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:58 am

He's exceeding his expectations from a lot of NBA media and fans in general. One comparison I hate is Joe Johnson. Sure, he's a good player, but he's no where nearly as aggressive as Roy and doesn't have the leadership of Brandon. Not to mention, Roy takes over games in the fourth quarter, a big time go-to player.
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
pr0nny
Senior

Post#11 » by pr0nny » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:42 am

Yeah at this point I take Roy over Johnson, 10 times out of 10 for reasons everyone already knows.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Re: Praise for Roy 

Post#12 » by Butter » Tue Jan 8, 2008 9:08 am

breaker91 wrote:From the Detroit news

Rising star

Brandon Roy is the best young player you've hardly ever seen play. He triggered Portland's recent 13-game win streak by averaging 22.8 points, 5.6 rebounds and 6.6 assists.

Said 76ers assistant coach Henry Bibby, "You can't guard him. He shoots from the outside, puts it on the floor and he can post up. Eventually, you have to go at him (defensively) like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. He is right up there with the elite players. He's not far away from being a superstar."

Wow I hope this doesn't go to his head.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 0314/1127/

It'll probably make him work twice as hard to prove the guy right.
kumquat
Starter
And1: 63

Post#13 » by kumquat » Tue Jan 8, 2008 11:59 am

I heard the interview where he said the crowd was chanting MVP when he was at the line, he got so embarrassed, he missed the FT. I have such a man crush on BRoy. I still believe he is our franchise player even over Oden.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#14 » by mojomarc » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:55 pm

kumquat wrote:I heard the interview where he said the crowd was chanting MVP when he was at the line, he got so embarrassed, he missed the FT. I have such a man crush on BRoy. I still believe he is our franchise player even over Oden.

If Roy is our franchise player over Oden then we will not win a championship. Roy is a great player, but we need Oden to take over the superstar role on the team, even if Roy still remains the heart and soul. Oden simply by being on the court will change the way teams play on both ends of the floor, and Roy simply cannot do that and I doubt he will ever be a game-changer on the defensive end in any meaningful way.
breaker91
Starter

Post#15 » by breaker91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 5:43 pm

Dakotah612 wrote:He's exceeding his expectations from a lot of NBA media and fans in general. One comparison I hate is Joe Johnson. Sure, he's a good player, but he's no where nearly as aggressive as Roy and doesn't have the leadership of Brandon. Not to mention, Roy takes over games in the fourth quarter, a big time go-to player.

That is a timely observation. The Hawks board has a thread about the Blazers' success and one of the first posters says please don't turn this into a Roy vs Williams debate. Of course other guys chime in how they would have never drafted Roy because he wouldn't have made it off the bench playing behind Johnson. :roll:
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#16 » by Tim Lehrbach » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:37 am

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If Roy is our franchise player over Oden then we will not win a championship. Roy is a great player, but we need Oden to take over the superstar role on the team, even if Roy still remains the heart and soul. Oden simply by being on the court will change the way teams play on both ends of the floor, and Roy simply cannot do that and I doubt he will ever be a game-changer on the defensive end in any meaningful way.

The second part of your posts shows why the first part is irrelevant. "Franchise player" loses meaning when we can talk about "fricking awesome dominant big man" instead. God, I hope Oden is that good.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#17 » by UGotThrilled » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:29 am

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was gonna disagree with you until i read that part. Roy will always amazing and may always be the heart and soul as well as the team leader. However, we need to have Oden become amazing if we are going to becom champions.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers