ImageImage

Miles, Jack, Frye 09 pick, 08 2nd rd pick for Walker,Doleac

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

see4miles
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Miles, Jack, Frye 09 pick, 08 2nd rd pick for Walker,Doleac 

Post#1 » by see4miles » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:54 pm

I was trying to suggest a trade for Ratliff when someone suggested a variation on the above.

I think it really makes sense for both teams. We clear some space (we won't have room for the 09 pick anyway) and Minnesota get upgrades on all three positions.

Miles will replace a lackluster Walker and be eager to go.
Frye offers a viable option to Jefferson playing center and Jack, improving all the time, offers an upgrade over Telfair and arguably Jaric.
Doleac is currently averaging 1.8 points a game so no loss there but an expiring contract for Portland.

Yes, this means getting rid of some of the parts of the winning team but it means more minutes for Sergio and more minutes for Outlaw at PF. LaFrentz can cover the center position easily.

Minnesota take a gamble but it's an educated gamble and they get trading chips and hungrier players than they had before - plus picks that they can package and hopefully pick up a Roy-esque player with the results...
Klinky
Assistant Coach
And1: 536

Post#2 » by Klinky » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:09 pm

I really don't see the point of making the trade at all really, except that we can create a little more cap space and lose Frye? Not worth it. Frye is proving how valuable he is with his hustle. Jack is... Jack. Miles' viability is unproven, but I am actually a person who wouldn't mind seeing what Miles could do before we try to trade him off, if we could trade him off.
Circus Americano!
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#3 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:13 pm

With the way he's been playing, no way I include Frye in this. Not even to get rid of Miles. He's our best rebounder, and his play in December was instrumental to our streak.

Also--if Miles can even play one minute a game at the NBA level over the remainder of his contract, this is tremendously overpaying to get his contract off the books.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#4 » by Billy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't think Portland should do this kind of deal just to be rid of Miles. Give it a year. It will be one year less on his deal, Portland should have a better feel for free agency that year and I don't think they would have to pay as much as the contract will be shorter.

As to Sergio getting more minutes, the more he proves he deserves them the more he will play. I'm also beginning to think it has much more to do with Roy and him not quite being compatible (yet) than anything. Also, any plan that includes Raef as a vital part actually playing is not a plan that will likely hold up for long IMO.

Lastly, aside from this hurting Portland IMO, I think Minny would also not be as interested. In the off chance that Portland actually DOES land a guy like Williams or Paul via FA, I don't think McHale would want that as his crowning achievement as destroyer of the Minnesota franchise. The Wolves sound like they are in a similar situation as Boston was a year ago--trying to shave money so they can keep Jefferson.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#5 » by d-train » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:37 pm

Besides the draft picks, you are trading 48 mpg of solid productive players and Blazers are getting nothing Nate would want. The deal would be much more palatable if one of the returning big men could give us about 20 solid minutes of production banging bodies and rebounding.

Edit: Other than the above, the deal has some merit.
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#6 » by breaker91 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:07 pm

I was going to say that I'd strongly consider that deal if Gomes was added. He would offset Frye's rebounding, but no way would I consider it after looking at Walker's contract. He has an extra year and an extra $8 million than Miles' deal.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#7 » by d-train » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:10 pm

breaker91 wrote:I was going to say that I'd strongly consider that deal if Gomes was added. He would offset Frye's rebounding, but no way would I consider it after looking at Walker's contract. He has an extra year and an extra $8 million than Miles' deal.

Walker's contract has a team option in 09/10 so it in effect expires the same time as LaFrenz.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#8 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:15 pm

I think trading away useful players and draft picks this season just to get Miles of the books is foolish.

It's purpose is to increase cap-space. Right now the cap-space plan has a cloudy future...it's hard to tell what free agents will actually be UFA in 2009.

This coming off-season will clarify that quite a bit, and would be a better time to make trades for possible cap-space for several reasons:

* will James Jones opt-out and get a large contract offer from another team?.. and will Portland not match which would clear 3 million off the cap?

* will portland extend the contracts of any of their 3rd year players?

* will portland make a trade(s) this off-season, including possibly moving up in the draft?

* will Miles return to playing form and will that elevate his trade value, epecially as the 2008 trade deadline approaches?

* will there be several teams with substantial cap-space in 2009, some exceeding portland's space?

* will any of the 4th year players like Deng, Gordon, and Okafor play for their QO's and become UFA?

* will players like Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, Shawn Marion, & Elton Brand all play for their PO's next year and become UFA in 2009?

All of those factors could increase or decrease the value of 2009 cap-space for portland, in some instances dramatically so. Dumping useful members of the rotation until many things are better known doesn't make much sense, IMO.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#9 » by Yadadimean » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:15 pm

Minnesota would be doing good to get Miles alone for Walker, injury or not.
Signature
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#10 » by SabasRevenge! » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:18 pm

To me it looks like the Wolves are huge winners here. Two picks, two quality young players, and a bad contract for two players who we take to sit for '09 cap space. Free agency isn't a sure thing. Chris Paul will most likely be extended MAX by NO either this summer or next and they can match and exceed any offer. I'm sure Deron will be extended this summer. The gamble isn't worth it.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,347

Post#11 » by shrink » Wed Jan 9, 2008 8:45 pm

Yadadimean wrote:Minnesota would be doing good to get Miles alone for Walker, injury or not.

Even if Walker wasn't averaging 10 PPG, 4 RPG, and 1 three compared to Miles, Walker's deal expires in 16 months. Walker has surprised everyone by being a great teammate and cheerleader for the kids too -- I didn't think he had it in him.

However, even if you completely ignore production, you're talking about the Blazers clearing $9 mil out. As a benchmark, late firsts usually have been traded in the past for $3 mil. More improtantly, the $9 mil adds to the $28 mil coming off the books in the Summer of 2009 with LaFrentz and Francis, giving POR more power and flexibility to attract the top free agents.

Now I can understand Wiz and Sabas point of backing away because you don't want to pay for the flexibility in 2009, and don't feel the need to have more money free.

However, a 2-year deal on Walker is clearly better than a 3-year deal on Miles.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#12 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 9, 2008 11:51 pm

I think the pick would have to be lottery protected in case of a worst-case scenario but even if there aren't going to be quality FA'a available in 09', this trade would give us more cap flexibility. That said, this trade takes away from this team's depth which makes me kind of relucatant to say yes. Jack and Frye have been nice role players and the 09' pick could bring in another quality player that would add to this team's talent. Also, Miles' contract expires right when LA and Roy will either be extended or will be re-signed. Because of these factors, I have to say no. There's no need to make a desparation trade such as this one as the Blazers are already set for the future.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#13 » by Butter » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:39 am

Billy wrote:I don't think Portland should do this kind of deal just to be rid of Miles. Give it a year. It will be one year less on his deal, Portland should have a better feel for free agency that year and I don't think they would have to pay as much as the contract will be shorter.

-quote snipped-

Billy, that is a great point, that has actually never occurred to me. The Blazers don't NEED cap space next year, they need it at the end of next season. There is no reason to flush players to contribute just to dump Miles.

In fact, depending on if the Blazers trade one of their SF's, or if James Jones bolts, they might actually need Miles, or at least have minutes that he could pick up.

There are 2 things that could improve Miles trade value:
1) His contract will have one year left.
2) He can show that his surgically repaired new can hold up.

Billy, you're onto something here. :clap:
see4miles
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#14 » by see4miles » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Hey guys. You raise interesting points but the main reason to do this is to make space for Fernandez and Freeland.

We need three PGs (for practice purposes) due to wear and tear and that doesn't include Roy. Also i heard that McBob is also here because he's a good friend/influence for Oden. So that means thiose two won't be waived.

So at the moment we have no space for our pick this year or Rudy and Joel.
This is why it's not a desperation dump. Also Miles (rightly or wongly) is the last vestige of the jailBlazers days. (Outlaw despite the name doesn't count...)
If miles goes I think it's far more likely that Jones resigns and ther's even the possibility of another buyout for walker like we did for Francis where we get some of the money back..
Charcoal Filtered
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#15 » by Charcoal Filtered » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:07 pm

That is entirely too much for cap space that we may not even use. If Jones got extended and Raef's deal traded for a longer deal, that leaves no room in 2009. No thanks on trading two players we need this year along with future picks for that.
The NBA: Where convicted tax evader Ken Mauer happens to officiate.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#16 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:45 pm

walker as in antoine walker? no thanks...

right now it's more of how the blazers play rather than to cut some money, it's not time to rush or mess the actual team.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers