Jarrett Jack revisited

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#21 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:07 pm

i agree.

with the emergence of outlaw and jones playing like he has martell could be in a tough spot.

jack has the same with sergio and rudy.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#22 » by Butter » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:14 pm

I think this issue with Jack will be a moot point. Comparing Jack with Sergio is a little bit of an apples and oranges comparison. It'd be much better to compare Sergio and Blake, or Sergio and Kopenen.

The important factor in my mind, as some people have already pointed out, is Jack versus Rudy. Rudy is bigger, and has the potential to be a lot more effective.

However, one interesting thing that I did see last night. We've talked a lot about finding a combo PG like Ben Gordon to play with Roy. Last night in the game, Jack did fill that role at the end of the game.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#23 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 4, 2008 5:41 pm

Butter wrote:The important factor in my mind, as some people have already pointed out, is Jack versus Rudy. Rudy is bigger, and has the potential to be a lot more effective.

Rudy is both a better outside shooter and, because of his explosiveness, a better finisher inside than Jack. He also appears to be at least as good a distributor, if the Spanish League games are any indication, and a better defender. He'll also be cheaper.

If Rudy plays as well in the NBA as he does in Spain, I agree with you--Jack will be getting the short end of the comparison.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#24 » by Butter » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:36 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Rudy is both a better outside shooter and, because of his explosiveness, a better finisher inside than Jack. He also appears to be at least as good a distributor, if the Spanish League games are any indication, and a better defender. He'll also be cheaper.

If Rudy plays as well in the NBA as he does in Spain, I agree with you--Jack will be getting the short end of the comparison.

Mojo, we're drinking the same Kool-aid. Really, to be honest, this is a win-win for the Blazers. If Jack can play like he did last night, all its going to do is increase his trade value, so when the Blazers do eventually move him, they'll be getting two upgrades, Rudy, and whatever other deal they make. :clap:
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:57 pm

Butter wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Mojo, we're drinking the same Kool-aid. Really, to be honest, this is a win-win for the Blazers. If Jack can play like he did last night, all its going to do is increase his trade value, so when the Blazers do eventually move him, they'll be getting two upgrades, Rudy, and whatever other deal they make. :clap:

Definitely on the same page, Butter. I just look at Rudy and think "he's better statistically at younger age in a tougher league than Jack was his senior year in college, plus he's taller, quicker, more explosive vertically...."

Then I pass out from the giddiness :lol:
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#26 » by Mr Odd » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:08 am

The better he does the better trade it can be!! :clap:

Altho I do like Jack, I just think Rudy will be better.
imo

:wink:
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#27 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:10 am

I keep thinking in any discussion of personnel, think about
factoring the impact Greg Oden would have.

I like JJ but when Oden is available to block shots and
rebound, the weaknesses in Sergio's game will be masked
so that he will get more minutes.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#28 » by Wizenheimer » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:29 am

Norm2953 wrote:I keep thinking in any discussion of personnel, think about
factoring the impact Greg Oden would have.

I like JJ but when Oden is available to block shots and
rebound, the weaknesses in Sergio's game will be masked
so that he will get more minutes.

or Oden will pick up more fouls trying to deal with Sergio's man penetrating to the hoop all the time.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#29 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:12 am

Or Sergio's man-to-man defense will improve.

There are so many variables between the two that even with Oden there's a lot to be desired. Sergio has a lot of work cut out for him, while Jack needs to be more consistent with everything.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#30 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:17 am

I think both Sergio and Jack have looked a lot better on defense in the past month or so. They're far too slow for the best guards in the league, but as Spykes always reminds us, everybody is too slow to stay in front of the best guards in the NBA.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by mojomarc » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:33 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:I think both Sergio and Jack have looked a lot better on defense in the past month or so. They're far too slow for the best guards in the league, but as Spykes always reminds us, everybody is too slow to stay in front of the best guards in the NBA.

I agree, although I think I noticed more of an improvement with Sergio. Still, it's almost funny to watch him off the ball when he's guarding someone near the corner. He gets caught watching the ball a bit, so when his player shifts he almost does a full 360-degree turn to try to find the guy again. It's like when you tap your buddy on the opposite shoulder and he turns around the wrong way, and it cracks me up every time.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#32 » by Tim Lehrbach » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:44 am

Well, yeah. I'm not saying either one has mastered the finer points of defense. But both are doing a fair job getting up in their man, stepping into passing lanes, and generally being aggressive. More often than not, they still get beat, but if it's gonna happen anyway, why not at least make an effort to cause a turnover or give a guy some handchecks? That seems to be each one's mindset right now, and it sure beats the turnstile approach (hanging back, feet glued to the floor, and wondering why, after giving your man plenty of room, he still decides to go around you).
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by mojomarc » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:42 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Well, yeah. I'm not saying either one has mastered the finer points of defense. But both are doing a fair job getting up in their man, stepping into passing lanes, and generally being aggressive. More often than not, they still get beat, but if it's gonna happen anyway, why not at least make an effort to cause a turnover or give a guy some handchecks? That seems to be each one's mindset right now, and it sure beats the turnstile approach (hanging back, feet glued to the floor, and wondering why, after giving your man plenty of room, he still decides to go around you).

That was kind of my point last year when a few folks kept repeating that Jack was a good (and I think Fitz actually used the word "great" in one thread, to which I had a loooooooooooooooooooong response in return :)) defender--if you're going to get beat every time, at least cause turnovers. For that reason, I've always preferred Sergio as a defender because he anticipates way better than Jack does and thus gets a good number of steals (about 50% better steal rate than Jack) and forces more bad passes. But still, it cracks me up how he can almost literally be spun around like a top watching his man out on the wings.
Jimmy103
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Jimmy103 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 am

Is JJ on the block or what?

I'd love to see him in Celtics green and hope it would turn out better than the last PG we got from you guys.
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#35 » by BigOrangeBalls » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:36 am

Jack is on the All-Star ballot.

Sergio is not.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#36 » by J~Rush » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:42 am

BigOrangeBalls wrote:Jack is on the All-Star ballot.

Sergio is not.

Worst. Logic. Ever. :D
e

Return to Portland Trail Blazers