Can't believe it's happening without Oden

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

roy_jones_calderon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,092

Can't believe it's happening without Oden 

Post#1 » by roy_jones_calderon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Just wanted to give some props to your young team. When Oden went down, most fans wrote off the Blazers as likely to be in the lottery again.

I'm surprised by the poise and defensive maturity of this young team. I always believed that the work done at the '06 draft laid the foundation, and that getting Oden was obviously huge, but not something anyone can control.

I can't imagine a better team to be a fan of in the entire NBA right now. Personally, there's nothing as gratifying as watching a young team buy into the team concept and being able to watch them develop.

With individual talents like Roy and Aldridge, and Webster/Outlaw starting to break-through, there is a lot to excited about.

Here's the real reason I'm making the thread-

Enjoy it. It sounds crazy, but these types of seasons are more rewarding than even a couple of years from now, when you guys are fighting in the playoffs.

I think this is going to be one of the magical seasons in Blazer history.

Even though Oden isn't a part of things, and he's going to be the center piece for the future, I truly believe that even when he returns and you're performing at an even higher level- you will look back fondly at this season as one of the best.
roy_jones_calderon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2 » by roy_jones_calderon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:12 pm

I know I was just stating the obvious, but sometimes it takes an outside perspective to realize the uniqueness of a situation.

I have the sense that there's a special chemistry going on that is rare to see in a team this young. The unselfishness and youthful athleticism, coupled with the relationship Nate seems to have with his guys, translates into the antithesis of what Blazer fans had to put up with in years past...can't imagine anything more refreshing or deserved.
AZ BLAZER
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by AZ BLAZER » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words, it is much appreciated. I think the vast majority of our fans just want to enjoy the ride. At this point, nothing this team does is too big of a surprise anymore.

For me, what I am enjoying most is that that the major pieces of this team are players that the Blazers scouted and then went out and drafted them. They were aggressive to assure they got who they wanted. They have been patienr in letting them develop. They have also identified good role players that were free agents or available in trade and have picked up guys like Pryz, Blake and Jones. Not household names, but very productive in what the Blazers are doing. Again, thanks.
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#4 » by Andre 2999 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Roy_Jones_Calderon. I guess I've never really thought about that before, but I think that you're right. Hopefully later on we can look back at this season as kind of the "season that started it all..."
roy_jones_calderon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by roy_jones_calderon » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:19 pm

That's the thing though- be careful not to look past this season, with the idea that other seasons in the abstract future are going to be 'better'.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had better seasons than this, but more enjoyable or gratifying for a long-term fan? I'm not so sure...
_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,303

Post#6 » by _MidNight_ » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:48 pm

man you guys have a good young team on your hands there, Roy is UNBELIEVABLE...
dTox
RealGM
And1: 15,849

Post#7 » by dTox » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:41 pm

roy is deff special
TBZ for the win
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,178

Post#8 » by The Duke » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 am

The the beauty of having a Roy... he makes everyone around him better, not only with easier looks, but also the confidence.

(how did RJC get suspended? lol)
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,990

Post#9 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 am

OMG DO THE PEOPLE AT DRAFT EXPRESS KNOW YOU POSTED THIS, RJC?

THEY ALL GONNA LAUGH AT U!!!!!!!
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#10 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Well believe it. Its too bad you guys aren't on national TV or i'd tune in. That guy Brandon Roy is a terrific player. Top 15 player already, possibly top 10. I love watching him play. He deserves to be an all star this year, though the guards in the West are amazing and thus he probably wont get in.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#11 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 pm

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:He deserves to be an all star this year, though the guards in the West are amazing and thus he probably wont get in.

Don't let that stop you from voting for him :)
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#12 » by Dwightmare » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:05 am

you all are one of my fave teams in the west. I cant wait to watch some amazing Dwight/Oden match ups. Going to be fun. Goodstuff.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers