Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 863

Re: Dame requests a trade. 

Post#1701 » by tester551 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
tester551 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:I think I would rather spin OG to a team like NYK for filler and 3 FRP than keep him around to be paid 30M.

We likely could get the protected DET and WAS FRP from NYK - to me these equal about 1 LP FRP. If we could get a future UNP NYK FRP as the real prize that would be ideal. Evan as the salary ballast.

But I think the FO wants to field a team that will get some butts in seats and a OG will do that while a few future FRP wont. And I think thats a mistake. We cant be in a spot where we have to pay Grant and OG.

Why not pay OG $30M & trade Grant for a better fit?

Id MUCH rather have OG vs Grant

I am not sure Grant returns much - think even a protected FRP would be a tall order with his contract length and size.

Lets assume we could flip Grant for THJ (Filler) and a LP DAL FRP. Or, we could turn OG into 3 FRP and Fournier. I easily keep Grant and move OG in that case. And I think thats close to where the value sits for both guys.

I agree that Grant is only worth 1 LP pick. I highly doubt that OG would get 3 picks right now... but say you're right.

Youll have 3 picks in the 20s to TRY and find one player as good as OG is right now. Ill take the known talent over the potential every time in this situation.

Worst case you re-sign OG & trade him in 1.5 years for 2 picks

Even after OG is resigned
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,009

Post#1702 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:40 pm

tester551 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
tester551 wrote:Why not pay OG $30M & trade Grant for a better fit?

Id MUCH rather have OG vs Grant

I am not sure Grant returns much - think even a protected FRP would be a tall order with his contract length and size.

Lets assume we could flip Grant for THJ (Filler) and a LP DAL FRP. Or, we could turn OG into 3 FRP and Fournier. I easily keep Grant and move OG in that case. And I think thats close to where the value sits for both guys.

I agree that Grant is only worth 1 LP pick. I highly doubt that OG would get 3 picks right now... but say you're right.

Youll have 3 picks in the 20s to TRY and find one player as good as OG is right now. Ill take the known talent over the potential every time in this situation.

Ya, either way keeping OG or moving him for picks - his inclusion immediately makes the TOR package better than anything MIA can offer.

Maybe run w/ OG and Grant for a year and move Grant in the offseason.

End of the day I think PDX strongly wants to field a young, competitive team. I think Cronin really wants to come out of this with a Scoot / Sharpe / OG / Grant / Ayton lineup - that probably saves his job for a bit even if IMO its a mistake to go for a bubble squad over picks. Will be a much more enjoyable year if he can pull that off - just not sure the future is as bright as getting a boat load of picks. The passing in that group outside Scoot will also be abysmal.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#1703 » by zzaj » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:48 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
tester551 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Ya, either way keeping OG or moving him for picks - his inclusion immediately makes the TOR package better than anything MIA can offer.

Maybe run w/ OG and Grant for a year and move Grant in the offseason.

End of the day I think PDX strongly wants to field a young, competitive team. I think Cronin really wants to come out of this with a Scoot / Sharpe / OG / Grant / Ayton lineup - that probably saves his job for a bit even if IMO its a mistake to go for a bubble squad over picks. Will be a much more enjoyable year if he can pull that off - just not sure the future is as bright as getting a boat load of picks. The passing in that group outside Scoot will also be abysmal.

That lineup would be a fun watch. I'll say again though that every one of those players needs the ball in their hands to be effective...and would probably want to show how effective they can be on a bad team.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#1704 » by Norm2953 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:49 pm

It does appear the Blazers view a Lillard trade to the Heat as unlikely for very personal reasons.
Blazers seem to be trying to manufacture a trade for Dame, which will lead to a very uncomfortable
situation heading into fall camp, with media day on October 2.

Let's see if a third enters the picture if the talks with the Raptors end up going nowhere.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#1705 » by Shem » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:02 pm

Watching annoying Heat fans on Twitter/X act all entitled on how the Blazers should give in on the low ball deal and how they have all the leverage. Then I see the blue check marks by their names and it all makes sense.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#1706 » by monopoman » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:14 pm

I am not sure it's all spite at this point the latest rumors point to the fact that the Blazers FO thinks Lillard is worth more than Miami does and thus no agreement reached.

Miami refuses to budge on their offer and the Blazers refuse to budge so you have two sides unwilling to compromise and this is what happens.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090948-nba-rumors-damian-lillard-trade-value-a-fundamental-disagreement-for-heat-blazers

Those in Miami that think this will change are dealing with extreme levels of copium here if this report is true. The only way Dame goes to Miami with this report is if every other team is unwilling to beat their paltry offer.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,720

Post#1707 » by Vampirate » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:21 pm

monopoman wrote:I am not sure it's all spite at this point the latest rumors point to the fact that the Blazers FO thinks Lillard is worth more than Miami does and thus no agreement reached.

Miami refuses to budge on their offer and the Blazers refuse to budge so you have two sides unwilling to compromise and this is what happens.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090948-nba-rumors-damian-lillard-trade-value-a-fundamental-disagreement-for-heat-blazers

Those in Miami that think this will change are dealing with extreme levels of copium here if this report is true. The only way Dame goes to Miami with this report is if every other team is unwilling to beat their paltry offer.

Do you think Dame is on your roster on starting day and you guys are gonna wait till the trade deadline?

Kind of feels that way to me tbh.
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#1708 » by RTG HD » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:31 pm

Vampirate wrote:
monopoman wrote:I am not sure it's all spite at this point the latest rumors point to the fact that the Blazers FO thinks Lillard is worth more than Miami does and thus no agreement reached.

Do you think Dame is on your roster on starting day and you guys are gonna wait till the trade deadline?

I think the goal right now is to make a deal before training camp but is nothing gets done in that time yes I agree that we are waiting until the trade deadline.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Post#1709 » by Blazinaway » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:35 pm

So my question is if there is no Dame trade soon do we still try to do a trade for Ayton?
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#1710 » by monopoman » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:59 pm

RTG HD wrote:
Vampirate wrote:

I think the goal right now is to make a deal before training camp but is nothing gets done in that time yes I agree that we are waiting until the trade deadline.

Rumors indicate the Blazers are very interested in trading him before training camp or even before media day, but obviously they are waiting for a deal they want so that is the hitch.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,384

Post#1711 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:06 pm

I hope it is Raptors for A) Raptors fan but also B) I would still be able to cheer for / follow the Raps guys in Portland grow with a fun young team in Scoot / Sharpe.

I was a proponent of Portland getting Siakam to pair with Portland and have Toronto put Barnes with Scoot/Sharpe, and I think something like that or OG alongside those guys in Portland would be equally fun.
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#1712 » by zzaj » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:10 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:I hope it is Raptors for A) Raptors fan but also B) I would still be able to cheer for / follow the Raps guys in Portland grow with a fun young team in Scoot / Sharpe.

I was a proponent of Portland getting Siakam to pair with Portland and have Toronto put Barnes with Scoot/Sharpe, and I think something like that or OG alongside those guys in Portland would be equally fun.

I'm right there with you. Basically, one of OG or Barnes on the Blazers is a fun young nucleus. And IMHO Lillard would put Toronto as the favorites in the East, even with giving a piece back.

Unless Miami finds a legitimate PG, I don't see them as a finals team, personally. Boston could be good too, but much will depend on health of Porzingis.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#1713 » by PDXKnight » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:17 pm

zzaj wrote:
YogurtProducer wrote:I hope it is Raptors for A) Raptors fan but also B) I would still be able to cheer for / follow the Raps guys in Portland grow with a fun young team in Scoot / Sharpe.

I'm right there with you. Basically, one of OG or Barnes on the Blazers is a fun young nucleus. And IMHO Lillard would put Toronto as the favorites in the East, even with giving a piece back.

Unless Miami finds a legitimate PG, I don't see them as a finals team, personally. Boston could be good too, but much will depend on health of Porzingis.

I think barnes and og + 3-4 firsts is what I'd be shooting for from portlands perspective.
YogurtProducer
RealGM
And1: 27,384

Post#1714 » by YogurtProducer » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:29 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I think barnes and og + 3-4 firsts is what I'd be shooting for from portlands perspective.

You wouldn't be getting that, that is for sure. Barnes proooobably is untouchable and if he does go he won't be going with any other assets, let alone OG and 3+ firsts.

You would at most get one of OG or Barnes, and I doubt that many firsts. I just don't think the market is there from anyone else to drive up the price and Masai is not a guy to overpay
What an absolute failure and disaster this franchise is, ran by one of the most incompetent front offices in the league.
- Raptors RealGM Forum re: Masai Ujiri - June 2023
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,009

Post#1715 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:39 pm

OG + Dick + 2FRP + TOR choice of salary filler.

Thats what I think happens. Not sure if OG stays in PDX or goes to a 3rd team though.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 863

Post#1716 » by tester551 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:56 pm

YogurtProducer wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
zzaj wrote:

You wouldn't be getting that, that is for sure. Barnes proooobably is untouchable and if he does go he won't be going with any other assets, let alone OG and 3+ firsts.

You would at most get one of OG or Barnes, and I doubt that many firsts. I just don't think the market is there from anyone else to drive up the price and Masai is not a guy to overpay

Agreed.
No chance in hell it's Barnes + OG (let along any additional compensation).

BlazersBroncos wrote:OG + Dick + 2FRP + TOR choice of salary filler.

Thats what I think happens. Not sure if OG stays in PDX or goes to a 3rd team though.

I'm right here as well. Regarding the picks, I'm guessing it will be 1 FRP and 1 swap.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#1717 » by ebott » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:46 pm

Blazinaway wrote:So my question is if there is no Dame trade soon do we still try to do a trade for Ayton?

I don't think so. The main things the Suns want from an Ayton trade is a center the team doesn't already hate and cost savings. We can't just trade Nurk for Ayton. And we don't have anyone making the right amount of money to fill in the amount we need for the trade to work by cap rules. The only way we can make a trade like that is as part of a Dame deal.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#1718 » by m0ng0 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:10 pm

I'm sure Patty had been working on Toronto all day saying... He won't sign with you so you are wasting your time, his agent told me blah blah blah. He will demand a trade to us, don't do it.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#1719 » by Butter » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:40 pm

I REALLY hope that these Toronto rumors are true...BUT, all of these headlines are making my have doubts.

If the Raps really are the front runners, why would they keep talking about? Why wouldn't they just complete a trade?

Acknowledge 3 or 4 team deals are complicated, but I'm becoming skeptical. Hoping I'm wrong.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#1720 » by m0ng0 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:46 pm

Set a deadline of tomorrow, get it done or we will talk at the deadline. Not what I want but it gives them time to figure out what the game plan for the season is. Shut Dame down or play him, it's time to start working on that

Return to Portland Trail Blazers