ImageImage

Portland Trailblazers 22-13 VS. Toronto Raptors 19-17

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

doctaJ_92
Assistant Coach
And1: 171

Post#181 » by doctaJ_92 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:38 pm

Fantastic game Blazer fans, you guys are clearly going to be the class of the NBA in 3 years at the most. I was sorta surprised McMillan continually used the strategy of switching the screen on the pick and roll, that gave us a huge advantage in the OT's offensively with Pryzbilla not being in there.

Outlaw's game has REALLY progressed just from last season. He's been insanely clutch this year.

If you guys get a good PG next offseason with your salary cap relief it's game over for the rest of the league. Great game guys.
Read on Twitter
541Blaza
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#182 » by 541Blaza » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:46 pm

doctaJ_92 wrote:Fantastic game Blazer fans, you guys are clearly going to be the class of the NBA in 3 years at the most. I was sorta surprised McMillan continually used the strategy of switching the screen on the pick and roll, that gave us a huge advantage in the OT's offensively with Pryzbilla not being in there.

Outlaw's game has REALLY progressed just from last season. He's been insanely clutch this year.

If you guys get a good PG next offseason with your salary cap relief it's game over for the rest of the league. Great game guys.

We have a good point guard, he just didn't play today. Blake does everything we need at PG right now. We need Oden and Rudy, and we need to off Jarrett Jack.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#183 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Butter wrote:Did the absence of Blake have a significant impact on this game? I didn't get to watch the game, but it would be easy to say that missing Blake was a contributing factor.

However, I'd really like to hear your opinion.

IMO, it did, at least on offense. Toronto was leaving Jack open constantly at the top of the 3pt arc as they helped elsewhere. I think they would have paid for that strategy if Blake was the PG.
Napoleon7
Senior
And1: 76

Post#184 » by Napoleon7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 pm

[quote="Ripcity4life"]2 Questions i would LOVE to ask Nate .

1) Why did you sit Joel when the team needed some inside help ?
2) WHY THE HECK was a TIMEOUT not called after Outlaw got the rebound ?

I couldn't agree more.
The FACT that we were not getting the job done close to the basket and Przy was sitting on the bench absolutely makes no sense.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#185 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Napoleon7 wrote:
Ripcity4life wrote:2 Questions i would LOVE to ask Nate .

1) Why did you sit Joel when the team needed some inside help ?
2) WHY THE HECK was a TIMEOUT not called after Outlaw got the rebound ?

I couldn't agree more.
The FACT that we were not getting the job done close to the basket and Przy was sitting on the bench absolutely makes no sense.

let me take a stab at this...because he never really had control of the ball?
ph1sh55
Senior
And1: 0

Post#186 » by ph1sh55 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:46 pm

"Defensively, we had no answer for Bosh," Portland coach Nate McMillan said.

:banghead:

J.Przybilla C 20:16 4-4 0-0 0-0 +9 3 6 9 1 2 0 1 0 0 8
bananaman
Starter
And1: 627

Post#187 » by bananaman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:47 pm

Charlie78 wrote:I dont know they dont have to play for more than 24 hrs. Theyll get in at a reasonable hour. This isnt a typical back to back.

Here is the real question why in the hell isnt KP looking to move Jack. The guy is just brutal with the ball in his hand yet that seems to be the only way he is effective. Not having blake definetly hurt us big time.

I hate to lose but it is pretty clear that our best is better than toronto's best. I would say this is a pretty good indicator that we have turned that corner despite the L.

Gotta give props to my wife. She totally called the 4 point play. Although she said it would be jones.

Roy played like a superstar today, I'm not sure you can say that you played terrible, the guys hit some huge shots. This wasn't Toronto's best by any means, if you want to see that, just look at the second game of the season against New Jersey. But still, I think Portland's a great team, I love watching them, and there's nothing to dislike about Roy. When Oden comes back, things will get very fun for Blazer fans.
peteyjones13
Analyst
And1: 357

Post#188 » by peteyjones13 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Every Toronto fan here really sucking up to you guys and giving you guys credit, but frankly, I don't think you guys are that great. Roy's sick obviously, but other than him, you don't have any great great talents. Aldridge is a very solid pro, Outlaw looked really athletic and great today, and there are other good pieces, but this year, I'd still bet on you guys missing the playoffs. You have a decent future with your young guys and Oden coming in next year, and you guys have the potential to be a perennial playoff team, but up there with the best in the west and championship contenders? I'm not too sure. Toronto fans, please stop sucking up to all our opponents.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#189 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:14 pm

peteyjones13 wrote:Every Toronto fan here really sucking up to you guys and giving you guys credit, but frankly, I don't think you guys are that great. Roy's sick obviously, but other than him, you don't have any great great talents. Aldridge is a very solid pro, Outlaw looked really athletic and great today, and there are other good pieces, but this year, I'd still bet on you guys missing the playoffs. You have a decent future with your young guys and Oden coming in next year, and you guys have the potential to be a perennial playoff team, but up there with the best in the west and championship contenders? I'm not too sure. Toronto fans, please stop sucking up to all our opponents.

From a Raps fan:

There are better ways to debate than resorting to one-line profanities. Thanks!
Got Raps FanFiction?
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#190 » by mojomarc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:23 pm

peteyjones13 wrote:Every Toronto fan here really sucking up to you guys and giving you guys credit, but frankly, I don't think you guys are that great. Roy's sick obviously, but other than him, you don't have any great great talents. Aldridge is a very solid pro, Outlaw looked really athletic and great today, and there are other good pieces, but this year, I'd still bet on you guys missing the playoffs. You have a decent future with your young guys and Oden coming in next year, and you guys have the potential to be a perennial playoff team, but up there with the best in the west and championship contenders? I'm not too sure. Toronto fans, please stop sucking up to all our opponents.

That's for the contrary position. After all, after hearing the opposite of your opinion from every coach we've played against all season, every teams' fans, every NBA analyst, either local or national, and every reporter across the country say that we have the depth, young talent and the pieces to be an immediate contender, it's nice to hear from the lone voice of sanity. Thanks for clearing it up that literally everyone else who watches the NBA for even a few minutes is wrong.
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#191 » by BigOrangeBalls » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:26 pm

peteyjones13,

Are you a Lakers fan?

The Blazers are sure to cool down, but I think they'll still make the playoffs.

The haters amuse me. They should root for the Blazers to make the playoffs, not get another lottery pick.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by mojomarc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:40 pm

BigOrangeBalls wrote:
The haters amuse me. They should root for the Blazers to make the playoffs, not get another lottery pick.

Since we have KP, can't we do both??? :D
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man

Post#193 » by BigOrangeBalls » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Since we have KP, can't we do both??? :D

It sure seems like it! :rofl:
peteyjones13
Analyst

Post#194 » by peteyjones13 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 am

That's for the contrary position. After all, after hearing the opposite of your opinion from every coach we've played against all season, every teams' fans, every NBA analyst, either local or national, and every reporter across the country say that we have the depth, young talent and the pieces to be an immediate contender, it's nice to hear from the lone voice of sanity. Thanks for clearing it up that literally everyone else who watches the NBA for even a few minutes is wrong.

Allright, firstly let me say that I do like your team and let me elaborate on the points that I made.

Firstly, what I was saying was that other than Roy, you guys don't have any phenomenal pieces. But you guys still have a lot of very solid pieces, and if Oden becomes a star, then you guys will have 2 bona fide stars and lots of very solid pieces.

Secondly, I said that I didn't think you guys would make the playoffs this year. If you look at the western conference standings, there are 10 teams right now that have good chances to make the playoffs. Sadly, I think you guys will finish with 1 of the bottom of 2 records of those 10 teams. If I had to bet, I would bet on both Houston and Utah finishing with better records than you guys. For one thing you have a lot more road games than them left. Do you guys have a good chance of making the playoffs? Absolutely. I personally just don't think you will.

As i mentioned later, I said that I do think you guys have the talent to be a yearly playoff team in the west. But advancing in the western conference playoffs is extremely tough. You have to deal with the likes of SA, Dallas, Phoenix, and lots of other excellent teams. People are praising your team, and rightfully so after your 17-1 run, I'm just still not convinced that you guys will be championship contenders in years to come. I'm not yet sold on that.
peteyjones13
Analyst

Post#195 » by peteyjones13 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:13 am

BigOrangeBalls wrote:peteyjones13,

Are you a Lakers fan?

The Blazers are sure to cool down, but I think they'll still make the playoffs.

No, passionate raps fan.

I'm rooting for the Blazers to make the playoffs. I'd rather Portland in the playoffs than Utah. I just don't think they will.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#196 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:25 am

peteyjones13 wrote:Firstly, what I was saying was that other than Roy, you guys don't have any phenomenal pieces. But you guys still have a lot of very solid pieces, and if Oden becomes a star, then you guys will have 2 bona fide stars and lots of very solid pieces.

It would be too much to expect you to know every iota of information regarding Portland's history, but let's just say that acquiring "phenomenal pieces" isn't really the organization's MO. They don't have a 20 PPG scorer, for instance.

Didn't see a minute, but I'm not happy with this despite the odds being stacked against us.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#197 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:35 am

peteyjones13 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Allright, firstly let me say that I do like your team and let me elaborate on the points that I made.

Firstly, what I was saying was that other than Roy, you guys don't have any phenomenal pieces. But you guys still have a lot of very solid pieces, and if Oden becomes a star, then you guys will have 2 bona fide stars and lots of very solid pieces.

Secondly, I said that I didn't think you guys would make the playoffs this year. If you look at the western conference standings, there are 10 teams right now that have good chances to make the playoffs. Sadly, I think you guys will finish with 1 of the bottom of 2 records of those 10 teams. If I had to bet, I would bet on both Houston and Utah finishing with better records than you guys. For one thing you have a lot more road games than them left. Do you guys have a good chance of making the playoffs? Absolutely. I personally just don't think you will.

As i mentioned later, I said that I do think you guys have the talent to be a yearly playoff team in the west. But advancing in the western conference playoffs is extremely tough. You have to deal with the likes of SA, Dallas, Phoenix, and lots of other excellent teams. People are praising your team, and rightfully so after your 17-1 run, I'm just still not convinced that you guys will be championship contenders in years to come. I'm not yet sold on that.

You're entitled to be not sold yet, but as I pointed out--you're basically the only person who isn't yet. I'm not talking about this year, but in the next few years I would pretty much bet you anything you wanted to name that, assuming we don't have a major season-altering injury that we would be a WCF team three seasons from now.
Kosta
RealGM

Post#198 » by Kosta » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am

You're entitled to be not sold yet, but as I pointed out--you're basically the only person who isn't yet. I'm not talking about this year, but in the next few years I would pretty much bet you anything you wanted to name that, assuming we don't have a major season-altering injury that we would be a WCF team three seasons from now.

And all of that hinges on Oden not being the next Bowie.

Your run has been spectacular and I've really been shocked to see how much chemistry and how cohesive your young team is. Those young guys are really playing with poise and that's always a good sign for the future. McMillan did it with a Seattle team a few years ago, he's doing it again, he's a really underrated coach.

Outlaw continues to impress me, where did this guys offensive game come from? I never knew he could hit turnaround jumpers like that and I never thought he had such good range.

I think the Blazers have a bright young future, but this latest run has people really talking like they're already becoming the next dynasty. I just think people are starting to overreact, like Magic Johnson calling them the team to beat in the West after San Antonio? Sorry, that's just silly. The Mavericks, Suns, Lakers, Jazz and Rockets when healthy are all better than the Blazers IMO.

Don't get me wrong, love B. Roy, Blazers young core looking good. But I think it's ridiculous to believe they're some kind of dynasty in the making at this point.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:26 am

Kosta wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And all of that hinges on Oden not being the next Bowie.

Your run has been spectacular and I've really been shocked to see how much chemistry and how cohesive your young team is. Those young guys are really playing with poise and that's always a good sign for the future. McMillan did it with a Seattle team a few years ago, he's doing it again, he's a really underrated coach.

Outlaw continues to impress me, where did this guys offensive game come from? I never knew he could hit turnaround jumpers like that and I never thought he had such good range.

I think the Blazers have a bright young future, but this latest run has people really talking like they're already becoming the next dynasty. I just think people are starting to overreact, like Magic Johnson calling them the team to beat in the West after San Antonio? Sorry, that's just silly. The Mavericks, Suns, Lakers, Jazz and Rockets when healthy are all better than the Blazers IMO.

Don't get me wrong, love B. Roy, Blazers young core looking good. But I think it's ridiculous to believe they're some kind of dynasty in the making at this point.

As I told Pete--you're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. Mine, however, happens to coincide with that of basically every basketball analyst who watches the NBA, and yours doesn't. Oh well.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#200 » by mojomarc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:27 am

On another note, here's what Nate had to say after the game (as quoted from ESPN):

"Defensively, we had no answer for Bosh," Portland coach Nate McMillan said.

The only problem with this statement is he did have an answer, only he was sitting on the bench the entire second half.

:banghead:

Return to Portland Trail Blazers