ImageImage

Where will Simons be playing in 2023/24?

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

Where will Simons be playing in 2023/24?

Portland
50%
Brooklyn
3%
Chicago
8%
Detroit
3%
Orlando
16%
San Antonio
No votes
Toronto
16%
Washington
3%
Other
3%

Total votes: 38

Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Re: Where will Simons be playing in 2023/24? 

Post#21 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jul 2, 2023 5:33 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Portland now where he should be. Blazers need to keep their young picks for the long term when they work out this well. Simple enough.

With Dame leaving he's fine in a 3-guard lineup with Scoot and Shae. Hopefully he plays well as he often has sans Dame and builds up his value so he can be a nice trade piece if desired the next few years
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,883

Post#22 » by Norm2953 » Sun Jul 2, 2023 6:34 pm

No question he will be a Blazer for that $25 million/year contract seems reasonable with guys
like FVV and Sabonis getting $40+ million/season
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#23 » by Wizenheimer » Sun Jul 2, 2023 6:37 pm

if Portland cared at all about defense, Ant would be traded
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,129

Post#24 » by Effigy » Sun Jul 2, 2023 10:16 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:Portland now where he should be. Blazers need to keep their young picks for the long term when they work out this well. Simple enough.

With Dame leaving he's fine in a 3-guard lineup with Scoot and Shae. Hopefully he plays well as he often has sans Dame and builds up his value so he can be a nice trade piece if desired the next few years

Only problem is Scoot and Sharp need to start. I would not want to stunt their development for Simons. But honestly, Sharpe’s future may be at sf so I could live with us playing him there and Grant at 4. I don’t love Simons as a starter. That seems like it would be too small. Would love to convert him to 6th man but doubt we will do that.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#25 » by GEE » Sun Jul 2, 2023 11:04 pm

Effigy wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

Only problem is Scoot and Sharp need to start. I would not want to stunt their development for Simons. But honestly, Sharpe’s future may be at sf so I could live with us playing him there and Grant at 4. I don’t love Simons as a starter. That seems like it would be too small. Would love to convert him to 6th man but doubt we will do that.

I think Simons starts at PG day one, and there is no doubt in my mind. Anyone that thinks, as good as Scoot is, is ready to start over Simons is nuts. I guarantee you he has a lot to learn before bouncing Simons from the starting job. Sharpe on the other hand I think will start day one, but he's also entering his 2nd year and showed last year he is ready.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,129

Post#26 » by Effigy » Mon Jul 3, 2023 12:53 am

GEE wrote:
Effigy wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

I think Simons starts at PG day one, and there is no doubt in my mind. Anyone that thinks, as good as Scoot is, is ready to start over Simons is nuts. I guarantee you he has a lot to learn before bouncing Simons from the starting job. Sharpe on the other hand I think will start day one, but he's also entering his 2nd year and showed last year he is ready.

They started Dame and Simons together, no reason they can’t start Scoot and Simons And Sharpe at the three. That has to be the plan or you have to trade Simons. Scoot and Sharpe need minutes.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,988

Post#27 » by JasonStern » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:22 am

Wizenheimer wrote:if Portland cared at all about defense, Ant would be traded

Play Thybulle at his natural position.

Wizenheimer wrote:Then who is going to guard opposing wings?

Damn it. Grant?

Wizenheimer wrote:Then who is going to guard power forwards?

I get that this is a losing argument that I have no chance of winning.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#28 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:38 am

GEE wrote:
Effigy wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

I think Scoot starts at PG day one, there is no doubt in my mind. Anyone that thinks, as good as Simons is, is ready to start over Scoot is nuts.

The Blazers didn’t lose Lillard by keeping the 3rd pick to not start Scoot day 1. They are banking on him being star material day 1…they are going to start Scoot.
Blaze the Nugz
Sixth Man
And1: 95

Post#29 » by Blaze the Nugz » Fri Jul 7, 2023 3:15 am

I would start Simons along with Scoot and Sharpe. Try to make Simons look as good as possible and move him at the deadline for a big. Easier said than done, of course.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#30 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jul 7, 2023 8:38 pm

Blaze the Nugz wrote:I would start Simons along with Scoot and Sharpe. Try to make Simons look as good as possible and move him at the deadline for a big. Easier said than done, of course.

I think there's a fallacy in that plan and that's the fallacy the NBA doesn't know who Simons is and what he can do after 5 seasons in the league. He's been thoroughly scouted by all 29 other teams

the notion that if Simons increases his PPG from 21 to 25 by increasing his FGA from 17 to 20 and his usage from 26% to 30%, his value will go up, makes sense only if Simons is a mystery, but he's not

I'd suggest the evidence is pretty strong right now Ant doesn't have good value around the league. But the league knows he's a good shooter, and the league knows he can score. But that isn't why is value is low, and the reasons why it's low wont change by him being showcased next season. The reasons are he's not 6'6; he's not a PG; he's too small to play as a wing; he has extremely limited versatility. More to the point, he's a complete defensive sieve who put up the worst defensive numbers on a one of the worst defenses over the last 3 season. He's never going to be much better on defense, meaning he has no value as a 2-way player and he has no 3&D value

that's why his value is low right now

and him returning for Portland means he'll start. Which means one of Scott/Sharpe will sit, OR, the Blazers will try to play Sharpe out of his natural position of SG and trot out an extremely undersized starting unit. Oh joy. Ant isn't a PG, at best he's a tweener in an age when tweener guards have little value.

The Blazers FINALLY got smart and got rid of the undersized-no-defense-SG's in CJ (and Powell), after 7 seasons. Does Prtland really have to reboot that failure for a 9th season next year? Will Portland ever stop playing guys out of position just so they can jamb a square peg in a round hole elsewhere in the starting unit? Will they ever actually field a rotation that isn't giving up 2-3 inches at every position than C?
Blaze the Nugz
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by Blaze the Nugz » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:34 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Blaze the Nugz wrote:I would start Simons along with Scoot and Sharpe. Try to make Simons look as good as possible and move him at the deadline for a big. Easier said than done, of course.

I think there's a fallacy in that plan and that's the fallacy the NBA doesn't know who Simons is and what he can do after 5 seasons in the league. He's been thoroughly scouted by all 29 other teams

the notion that if Simons increases his PPG from 21 to 25 by increasing his FGA from 17 to 20 and his usage from 26% to 30%, his value will go up, makes sense only if Simons is a mystery, but he's not

I'd suggest the evidence is pretty strong right now Ant doesn't have good value around the league. But the league knows he's a good shooter, and the league knows he can score. But that isn't why is value is low, and the reasons why it's low wont change by him being showcased next season. The reasons are he's not 6'6; he's not a PG; he's too small to play as a wing; he has extremely limited versatility. More to the point, he's a complete defensive sieve who put up the worst defensive numbers on a one of the worst defenses over the last 3 season. He's never going to be much better on defense, meaning he has no value as a 2-way player and he has no 3&D value

and him returning for Portland means he'll start. Which means one of Scott/Sharpe will sit, OR, the Blazers will try to play Sharpe out of his natural position of SG and trot out an extremely undersized starting unit. Oh joy. Ant isn't a PG, at best he's a tweener in an age when tweener guards have little value.

The Blazers FINALLY got smart and got rid of the undersized-no-defense-SG's in CJ (and Powell), after 7 seasons. Does Prtland really have to reboot that failure for a 9th season next year? Will Portland ever stop playing guys out of position just so they can jamb a square peg in a round hole elsewhere in the starting unit? Will they ever actually field a rotation that isn't giving up 2-3 inches at every position than C?

While I agree that every team has thoroughly scouted Simons at this point, there is still a possibility of Ant adding to his game. Defensively, he is what he is. But if he can make incremental improvements as a distributor, that is added value given that he is not known as a distributor. Ant isn't particularly young any more, but it's unlikely that he's a finished product.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#32 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:18 am

Blaze the Nugz wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:

While I agree that every team has thoroughly scouted Simons at this point, there is still a possibility of Ant adding to his game. Defensively, he is what he is. But if he can make incremental improvements as a distributor, that is added value given that he is not known as a distributor. Ant isn't particularly young any more, but it's unlikely that he's a finished product.

Dame just had his best season at 32, so sure Ant can improve and almost certainly will

he's not going to fundamentally change as a player. He's not going to become 6'6. And he's not going to become even an average defender. When/if he does improve, he'll be building on a limited foundation. The NBA is filled with undersized SG's who can score and play bad defense. The Warriors just dumped Jordan Poole; Miami is eager to dump Herro. Jordan Clarkson just signed for 14M. The Pelicans tried to move up and land Scoot after seeing a full year of CJ. Eric Gordon signed for 3M/year. The Nets are trying to trade Dinwiddie and he can actually play PG, unlike Ant

and Ant will be making 26M/year. It's just not very logical to think he'll increase his trade value. But what he will do is stand in the way of Scoot and Sharpe
Blaze the Nugz
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by Blaze the Nugz » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:10 am

Just to play devil's advocate...

I read the Warriors dumping Jordan Poole as them moving forward with Draymond and not seeing how the two could coexist given their history.

Clarkson is older and not as good as Simons. They're pretty different players too; Clarkson isn't a reliable 3PT shooter. You're right, $14M for him is better value than Simons' contract. A team wouldn't acquire Clarkson if they needed outside shooting, though. That's what Simons is selling.

Eric Gordon is ring chasing, hence the contract.

Is Miami eager to dump Herro? Or are they eager to acquire an All NBA PG by using their best trade chip? It's not like they are trying to move him for cap relief.

CJ is certainly overpaid for his production and you're right, teams probably aren't interested in absorbing his contract. But he was also playing injured last year and had his worst season in ages. Maybe New Orleans was just kicking the tires -- hard to say how serious they were about acquiring the #3 pick.

I'm with you that Simons will stand in the way of Scoot and Sharpe's development. But I'm hopeful that we see improvement from Simons this season and I'm just crossing my fingers that he can be moved for a big or a wing to rebalance this roster.
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:58 am

Blaze the Nugz wrote:
I'm with you that Simons will stand in the way of Scoot and Sharpe's development. But I'm hopeful that we see improvement from Simons this season and I'm just crossing my fingers that he can be moved for a big or a wing to rebalance this roster.

my main concern is this: the biggest issue during the Olshey era, other than his bad choices, was that he was always straddling fences. he never picked a street other than the street called 'I Love CJ'

fence-straddling fails almost every time, especially when there is only flawed role-playing talent on either side of the fence

Portland should simply commit to a full rebuild. Tear off the band aid of the devils you know. But I can already see they are primed to straddle yet another idiot fence. They are re-signing Grant; they may keep Nurkic; and they will likely keep Ant, and if they do, he'll start. meaning that either one of Scoot/Sharpe will sit, or Portland will go full-tilt-stupid and start all three; creating the worst perimeter defensive trio in the league, and the shortest, while playing two of the three out of position.

And what will be the result? Portland won't make the play-in but they will win enough games to insure their draft pick isn't even top-10. They will be in the purgatory of at best, 1st-round exits, most likely play-in failure, and bad draft picks. For what reason? So Ant fans can watch Ant channel MeJ?

I want the fence-straddling to stop. Trading Dame is the perfect opportunity. Keeping Ant and Grant is simply crapping on that opportunity, and expecting their trade value to get better is pie-in-the-sky nonsense
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#35 » by red_power » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:26 pm

With Dame not playing for this team next year I'm actually not sure Blazers should seek to simply dump Ant unless there is some decent value provided in return.
But I completely agree he's an expendable player and FO must trade him if the right deal pops up.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
zzaj
General Manager

Post#36 » by zzaj » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:42 pm

My hope is that the Blazers give Chauncey the chance to SHOW that he prioritizes defense.

Scoot seems like he cares and is capable. Sharpe, based on his effort last season and so far in SL is marginal positionally at best. Simons is Simons.

If Chauncey SHOWS that he will start Thybulle because Simons and Sharpe are dogging it…I’m all for it. 5 years from now, it doesn’t do Simons or Sharpe any good to let them slide.

Also, I think Chauncey is a terrible coach and this will NEVER happen. Here’s where somebody like Macmillan could actually be valuable. I have to scrape my tongue even saying that though…
Wizenheimer
RealGM

Post#37 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:34 pm

zzaj wrote:My hope is that the Blazers give Chauncey the chance to SHOW that he prioritizes defense.

Scoot seems like he cares and is capable. Sharpe, based on his effort last season and so far in SL is marginal positionally at best. Simons is Simons.

If Chauncey SHOWS that he will start Thybulle because Simons and Sharpe are dogging it…I’m all for it. 5 years from now, it doesn’t do Simons or Sharpe any good to let them slide.

Also, I think Chauncey is a terrible coach and this will NEVER happen. Here’s where somebody like Macmillan could actually be valuable. I have to scrape my tongue even saying that though…

by year 2, no later than year 3. I think that's the latest in careers that players can establish their defensive ability.

Ant will be in year 6. He has sucked badly at defense for 5 years and been coached by Billups for 2 of those years. He's not going to get better at defense, at least not enough to not be a sieve
zzaj
General Manager

Post#38 » by zzaj » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:41 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
zzaj wrote:My hope is that the Blazers give Chauncey the chance to SHOW that he prioritizes defense.

by year 2, no later than year 3. I think that's the latest in careers that players can establish their defensive ability.

Ant will be in year 6. He has sucked badly at defense for 5 years and been coached by Billups for 2 of those years. He's not going to get better at defense, at least not enough to not be a sieve

I agree…so he’ll be off the bench, which is where he’ll be best anyway. lol

For the record, I’m not convinced Sharpe is going to be any kind of good defender…but at least he’s young enough to at least establish something there. But then again that would likely require some good coaching, and I’m thinking Chauncey isn’t really that.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers