ImageImage

Nurkic for Ayton

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Re: Nurkic for Ayton 

Post#21 » by DusterBuster » Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:08 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Not sure why higher usage would elevate Ayton to Top-10 in blocks. He is somehow a **** shotblocker. Averaged under 1 BPG the past 2 years despite 30mpg, a 7'7 wingspan and elite athleticism for his size. Its a pretty shocking stat actually.

Effort. Don’t think he generally tried hard on that the defensive end.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#22 » by Pattycakes » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:27 pm

DusterBuster wrote:If the Blazers get Ayton out of this, it’s a big win imo. I have problems with his attitude, but in a new situation maybe that changes. It’s worth a gamble for a 25yo former #1 pick who even at his worst puts up solid numbers and plays more above the rim than Nurkic. Pack on some picks and a young player or two from Miami and I’m looking more forward to this new season than I have all summer.

That said, I have a hard time believing this rumor. Ayton for Nurk just doesn’t make a ton of sense and would come down to whatever else is going to Phoenix. Is Caleb Martin enough to make up the difference for Phoenix? I think Martin is overrated, but maybe they do it?

I could still see a 4 team deal with Indy considering they’re motivated to move Buddy and have long had interest in Ayton. Maybe Buddy and Nurk is enough for Phoenix? Then Turner would be moved as well going to Portland. He would give what Ayton does, but without the mental headache… albeit a bit older.

Moving Ayton for multiple pieces makes sense to help the Suns get deeper and not be so top heavy. So I get it in some regard, but it’s still an odd situation.

Facts. Ayton is not a cancer. Classic case of change of scenery will do wonders. Pair him with Scoot and Ant and Shaedon - SHEEEEESH.

Ps I strongly doubt its Nurk for Ayton, I guess it’s part of the eventual dame trade
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#23 » by m0ng0 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:48 pm

Maybe Nurk and Nas could get it done, but in think you are right, prolly part of a huge package
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,881

Post#24 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:26 pm

I like Nassir but he's always injured, not his fault, and he isn't consistent - probably from the.. always being injured. I think if he can get healthy he'll have a good career as a solid seventh/eighth man.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#25 » by DusterBuster » Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:50 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:If the Blazers get Ayton out of this, it’s a big win imo. I have problems with his attitude, but in a new situation maybe that changes. It’s worth a gamble for a 25yo former #1 pick who even at his worst puts up solid numbers and plays more above the rim than Nurkic. Pack on some picks and a young player or two from Miami and I’m looking more forward to this new season than I have all summer.

That said, I have a hard time believing this rumor. Ayton for Nurk just doesn’t make a ton of sense and would come down to whatever else is going to Phoenix. Is Caleb Martin enough to make up the difference for Phoenix? I think Martin is overrated, but maybe they do it?

I could still see a 4 team deal with Indy considering they’re motivated to move Buddy and have long had interest in Ayton. Maybe Buddy and Nurk is enough for Phoenix? Then Turner would be moved as well going to Portland. He would give what Ayton does, but without the mental headache… albeit a bit older.

Moving Ayton for multiple pieces makes sense to help the Suns get deeper and not be so top heavy. So I get it in some regard, but it’s still an odd situation.

Facts. Ayton is not a cancer. Classic case of change of scenery will do wonders. Pair him with Scoot and Ant and Shaedon - SHEEEEESH.

Ps I strongly doubt its Nurk for Ayton, I guess it’s part of the eventual dame trade

Im saying I doubt it’s even part of an eventual Dame trade. I think the rumor is a trade they talked about during their due diligence calls this past week, but that it’s so public leads me to believe it’s already dead.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#26 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:41 pm

Bringing in Ayton would be a test run to see if a change of scenery helps him to perform closer to his potential. Low risk as Portland will need a center eventually and Ayton is still young . If it works out great and Portland can look at forwards in next year's draft and if it doesn't work there will only be two years left on his contract and Portland can look at the available centers in next year's draft
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#27 » by GEE » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:50 am

Brandon-Clyde wrote:Bringing in Ayton would be a test run to see if a change of scenery helps him to perform closer to his potential. Low risk as Portland will need a center eventually and Ayton is still young . If it works out great and Portland can look at forwards in next year's draft and if it doesn't work there will only be two years left on his contract and Portland can look at the available centers in next year's draft

Without getting into how and why I don't like Ayton, I will just say that Cronin likely knows what he'd be getting in Ayton, and I just hope we can do better. But if Cronin thinks that Ayton is the perfect target fit for this young core, then I'm fine with it, but I still might rather just keep Nukic if Ayton is the best we can do at Center. I WANT MARK WILLIAMS mostly... but know that is doubtful, but I do hope we return another core player BIGMAN in the trading of Dame. Just hope we can do better than Ayton.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#28 » by DusterBuster » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:00 am

GEE wrote:
Brandon-Clyde wrote:Bringing in Ayton would be a test run to see if a change of scenery helps him to perform closer to his potential. Low risk as Portland will need a center eventually and Ayton is still young . If it works out great and Portland can look at forwards in next year's draft and if it doesn't work there will only be two years left on his contract and Portland can look at the available centers in next year's draft

Without getting into how and why I don't like Ayton, I will just say that Cronin likely knows what he'd be getting in Ayton, and I just hope we can do better. But if Cronin thinks that Ayton is the perfect target fit for this young core, then I'm fine with it, but I still might rather just keep Nukic if Ayton is the best we can do at Center. I WANT MARK WILLIAMS mostly... but know that is doubtful, but I do hope we return another core player BIGMAN in the trading of Dame. Just hope we can do better than Ayton.

The Ayton interest has less to do with Cronin and more to do with Schmitz.

Honestly, at this point, Cronin to me is just an interm guy even tho he has the full title... Like a ... John Nash / Rich Cho GM type.

(reminder: I should get my prostate examined soon)

I think Mike Schmitz is basically being groomed to be the long-term GM. Cronin has been around awhile, he's the GM who gets the thankless - tear it down - job. Schmitz is calling the shots on who gets drafted and who they target in trades. He wrote a GLOWING review of Ayton and seems to still be a very big supporter of his.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 866

Post#29 » by tester551 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:23 am

GEE wrote:

I doubt Williams will ever get better than Ayton
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,071

Post#30 » by Crives » Sun Sep 24, 2023 5:44 am

Suns fan here…

Ayton is not overpaid. There is a very strong chance he’s at least the 5th best center in the league next year. You won’t find another center with Ayton skill set. I think mike Schmitz was very high on Ayton in Portland, and having a center like Ayton to play PnR will make massive impact for Scoot.

Pros:
-Always healthy
-elite rebounder
-elite finisher
-elite hook shot
-only center strong enough to guard Jokic in paint, while holding own defensively on perimeter and in space
-great free throw shooter
-great mid range shooter
- decent and willing passer

Cons
-Doesn’t have amazing hands / catches
-Doesn’t always dunk instead of laying it up - see never injured
-Doesn’t draw a lot of free throws - see never injured
-Inconsistent motor, especially when playing a non elite center.. if you play a team with a strong big, Ayton likely your most impactful player.. if no strong big, motor wavers and can be invisible at times.

I think there is a reason phx is happy to keep Ayton with a completely new roster/regime.. given gambo reporting I think this is real, and much more going to phx then nurkic
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#31 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:12 pm

GEE wrote:

Oh I fully understand Ayton has flaws and would love to bring in Williams ( or Duren) but think acquiring either would require a vast overpay. With Ayton I see a player that has underperformed thus far and hope that maybe a change of scenery might help. If it pans out we have our center if not we can draft one next summer and use Ayton as the experienced vet while developing the rookie center. Ayton as an expiring would also hopefully bring something back in trade.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,015

Post#32 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:17 pm

tester551 wrote:
GEE wrote:

I doubt Williams will ever get better than Ayton

Mark is already a better defender than Ayton.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,015

Post#33 » by Village Idiot » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:13 am

I'd love to have Ayton in Portland.

Thinking about three ways one that makes sense to me is:

Portland trades:

Lillard
Nurkic

Portland receives:

DeAndre Ayton
Patrick Williams
Lonzo Ball
own pick returned from Chicago
2027 1st from Chicago unprotected
2029 1st from Chicago unprotected

Ayton has been discussed plenty in this thread so I will move on to the other pieces. Patrick Williams is turning into a high-level 3 and D guy who would slot in nicely alongside Jerami Grant.

We get our first back which enables a lot of transactions. We also get two unprotected picks from the aging Bulls. At season start their core would be Lillard 33, DeRozen 34, Vucevic 33 and LaVine 28. In 4 seasons the Bulls will undboutedly be in full rebuild role. The picks are the price to pay for getting a massive PG upgrade and dumping Ball's remaining two years/$40 million. They have a very short window but could contend in the East with that roster

Chicago trades:

Alex Caruso
Patrick Williams
Lonzo Ball
Dalen Terry
Portland own pick returned
2027 1st to Portland - unprotected
2029 1st to Portland - unprotected

Chicago receives:

Damian Lillard

Phoenix trades:

DeAndre Ayton

Phoenix receives:

Alex Caruso
Jusuf Nurkic
Dalen Terry

Caruso would be a great fit at PG for the Suns given his stellar defense and not needing touches on offense.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 137

Post#34 » by ebott » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:23 pm

I have a theory that what Pheonix wants is a straight up Ayton for Nurk deal. They want the flexibility that a 16 mil trade exception would give them at the trade deadline. So the Blazers are trying to work a 3 or 4 team deal where Pheonix can live that dream.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:19 am

I’m irritated that I’m starting to think Nurk (and something from 3rd team) for Ayton could actually happen. Even like 50% of Suns fans after I asked on their board were like… yeah maybe it’s true!

Thought it was for sure bunk and just gonna be 100% slammed on their board.

Regardless, i still feel so much of the recent media conversation has been total face saving by Cronin so that when he takes a **** Heat deal, he can claim they were aggressive, but Dame demanding 1 team just handcuffed them too much.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#36 » by Sinobas » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:09 pm

Also if we get Ayton for Nurk, that haul could well be about the same value as what we end up getting for Lillard. Which is irony.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,015

Post#37 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:47 pm

I think PHX will want Nurkic and role players.

Nurkic (16.87) + Boucher (11.75) for Ayton (32.45).

PHX gets a better offensive fit in Nurkic (3PT range, screens, passing, dribble/handoff) and a big who can guard in space. Think thats a pretty nice haul if they want to get Ayton out of their culture and save some $$$.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#38 » by Pattycakes » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:25 pm

This narrative of Phoenix being totally enamored with replacing the inconsistent motor of Ayton with Nurkic has almost as much of a suspense of logic as the “real” news.

If we somehow get this over on them, I can’t wait for update threads on this
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,561

Post#39 » by elchengue20 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:14 pm

Good trade for both teams.

Ayton in a rebuilding situation where he can get his touches and try to fullfil his potential.

Nurkic playing in a win now situation being an enforcer and role player, hes way better in that role right now for Phoenix. Plus they get a couple of much needed decent role players.

Overall for Portland, i don't believe that much in Ayton's potential but still he's a solid young player to build your core. And you also got a bunch of could be very high picks plus Holiday to trade for more assets. Not bad at all considering the market for a 33 yrd old Lillard wasn't that strong.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#40 » by zzaj » Wed Sep 27, 2023 9:54 pm

Ayton shot a higher percentage, played more games, has a higher defensive rating, has a higher offensive rating, averaged more points, shot a higher FT% and is 4 years younger than Nurkic after a catastrophic injury. Even if Ayton stays exactly the same, I still see it as an upgrade.

Sure there's salary...but it's not like the Blazers are going to be dying out on the second apron.

I don't see any universe that this isn't a net positive for the Blazers.

https://stathead.com/tiny/vpqKd

Return to Portland Trail Blazers