JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,640

Re: Jrue Holiday Appreciation Thread 

Post#21 » by JRoy » Sun Oct 1, 2023 6:01 pm

So long Jrue we hardly knew ye.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,467

Post#22 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 6:02 pm

Cronin doing a heck of a job.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#23 » by Norm2953 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 6:40 pm

IceColdCubano wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Initial thoughts - getting Timelord, who is 25, fits this core age-wise, and plays a position of need, is awesome. Plus the two 1sts, even if the GSW pick is going to be a late 1st. Brogdon is solid when healthy, but that's rare. I hope Cronin tries to flip him, but I'm not expecting much of a return (heavily protected 1st, two 2nd round picks) unless the Blazers take on salary.

Boston a legit contender. Crazy how we made Milwaukee and Boston more dominant teams in the east in the same off-season.

Also, in before salty Heat fans complain that we didn't trade Jrue for Herro.

From most of us Heat fans, we can all but agree that Cronin did the right thing looking at it now without bias, absolutely great haul for you guys, plus can even improve more if you decide to move on from Brogdon or Timelord. Although as constructed you guys have quality role players around your young players. Id move on into the season with team as is, perhaps move brogdon only for another FRP and a wing defender/ or back up veteran pg if available.

I really think Brogdon should go to the Heat for Lowry and a 2030 FRP.

Heat have to do something and that pick is 7 years out
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,988

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 1, 2023 8:47 pm

babyjax13 wrote:Cronin doing a heck of a job.

This off-season, given the hand he was dealt, I agree. But his base reference is Neil Olshey. And ChatGPT could out-GM Neil.

A rebuild was only needed because the Blazers failed to acquire talent to surround Dame with. Aldridge was the only other all-star Dame played with, and he was really good but not a franchise centerpiece. Since Aldridge left, Jerami Grant or CJ McCollum were the two best Blazers paired with Dame.

Honestly, if we had a talented core and Dame still wanted out, Dame for Jrue + future 1st + 2 swaps was still a solid trade. Route the picks and swaps to upgrade the wing position. The gap between Dame and Jrue isn't as big as people will admit.

Brogdon and, once tradable, Grant are next. Bleak next 2 years for the Blazers. But the future is bright. Feels like 2006 again, which shows you how long the Blazers dragged the previous core out for.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,823

Post#25 » by AussieBuck » Sun Oct 1, 2023 8:52 pm

I wanna see you guys keep flipping vets for picks until the season starts. Great offseason.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#26 » by DusterBuster » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:01 pm

Man, I really have to give credit to Cronin. My excitement for this season was at a D a week ago. Like a C+ after the Dame trade, but I’m full on A-level stoked to see what this team is now! Basically created a whole team in like a week and a team with actual talent and players on it that seems, on paper, to make a TON of sense together.

I wonder, if Cronin packaged a number of the picks they’ve just got and Brogdon, if that could finally get OG from Toronto? It’s Masai, so the likely answer there is no, but man, what a killer balanced team this would be…

Scoot/Mays
Simons/Sharpe
OG/Thybulle
Grant/Walker
Ayton/Williams

That team, with being healthy, could be a surprise top 6 team in the west.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,467

Post#27 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:02 pm

JasonStern wrote:

This off-season, given the hand he was dealt, I agree. But his base reference is Neil Olshey. And ChatGPT could out-GM Neil.

A rebuild was only needed because the Blazers failed to acquire talent to surround Dame with. Aldridge was the only other all-star Dame played with, and he was really good but not a franchise centerpiece. Since Aldridge left, Jerami Grant or CJ McCollum were the two best Blazers paired with Dame.

Honestly, if we had a talented core and Dame still wanted out, Dame for Jrue + future 1st + 2 swaps was still a solid trade. Route the picks and swaps to upgrade the wing position. The gap between Dame and Jrue isn't as big as people will admit.

Brogdon and, once tradable, Grant are next. Bleak next 2 years for the Blazers. But the future is bright. Feels like 2006 again, which shows you how long the Blazers dragged the previous core out for.

Yes, let me join you in my hatred of the job Olshey did, absolutely pathetic do have done so little with a talent like Lillard:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2086748

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#28 » by red_power » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:03 pm

Btw, where are those Miami fans who told us "Blazers accepted a SIGNIFICATLY WORSE offer than Riley had offered"?
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
RoyalWun
Lead Assistant
And1: 471

Post#29 » by RoyalWun » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:10 pm

I want to personally thank Jrue Holiday for his contributions to the Blazer organization.

Where do you guys think he ranks as an all-time Blazer?
Dammit...:

I've got Nurkic fever now.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#30 » by DusterBuster » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:13 pm

JasonStern wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree with Olshey being just awful.

I will say, the fallout from Aldridge leaving really put the start of the Dame era in a no-win situation. A ton of contracts were all up at the same time, LMA just left for nothing. Batum did not have a ton of value. Mathews blew his achilles. RoLo was just a role player. So the team was pretty much empty of all assets or ways to improve the team aside from useless cap space and CJ.

Allllllll that said, to then just piss away cap space on Evan Turner, resign guys to massive (at the time) contracts, retread his Clipper guys to no end, and not cash in on CJ when his value was at its peak, and piss away first round picks on mid level starters or backups was still GM malpractice of the highest order. So don’t take this post to give him annnnny credit, just giving context.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#31 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:14 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I wonder, if Cronin packaged a number of the picks they’ve just got and Brogdon, if that could finally get OG from Toronto?

Please quit overvaluing OG. He's really not better than peak Batum, and is about to get that fat contract Batum got from Charlotte.

- Chauncey Billups
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,879

Post#32 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:16 pm

I actually think it would be pretty funny if Cronin cleared capspace over the course of the season to offer a max to OG in the summer.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#33 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:16 pm

RoyalWun wrote:I want to personally thank Jrue Holiday for his contributions to the Blazer organization.

No Ha Seung-jin, but definitely a notch above Petteri Koponen.
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#34 » by DusterBuster » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:22 pm

JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I wonder, if Cronin packaged a number of the picks they’ve just got and Brogdon, if that could finally get OG from Toronto?

Please quit overvaluing OG. He's really not better than peak Batum, and is about to get that fat contract Batum got from Charlotte.

That’s fair, I may be a bit trade drunk right now. I do think OG would be a great glue fit guy, but yeah, I don’t really want to give Masai assets for him. If they’re gonna overpay him, do it in FA and keep assets.

Speaking of, does anyone have a look at the Blazers current cap situation? I know it can still change given we don’t know if they’re keeping Brogdon. But is there a path to max cap next summer?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:25 pm

JasonStern wrote:
RoyalWun wrote:I want to personally thank Jrue Holiday for his contributions to the Blazer organization.

No Ha Seung-jin, but definitely a notch above Petteri Koponen.

No one will ever replace Ha.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#36 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:30 pm

DusterBuster wrote:I will say, the fallout from Aldridge leaving really put the start of the Dame era in a no-win situation. A ton of contracts were all up at the same time, LMA just left for nothing. Batum did not have a ton of value. Mathews blew his achilles. RoLo was just a role player. So the team was pretty much empty of all assets or ways to improve the team aside from useless cap space and CJ.

That is the worst defense for a GM I have ever heard. Well, maybe not the worst. But up there.

Aldridge left because he didn't like the team. That falls on the GM. You either move him at the trade deadline for what you can get, or you do what is necessary to retain him.

Batum got traded for some bust I'm too lazy to look up. Recent lottery pick from Charlotte - that's a good sign. But as much as everyone said Batum hated the Blazers, he didn't. He was just like Dame. Trying to get the best contract. He was 26 at the time and publicly stated he was shocked the Blazers traded him and blew up that core. But you see the contract that Charlotte gave him, and you know that the Blazers would have had to match that to retain him (hired gun). And I see why he was moved.

The Mavs massively overpaid for Wesley Matthews coming off a ruptured Achilles. I get it.

But the main thing overlooked there was poor cap management. As great as moves like Plumlee for Nurkić panned out to be, they were done to avoid the luxury tax. And as long as you are a team running for a profit, you are always going to be at a disadvantage to teams owned by rich people that are actual fans that view this as a game/toy. With as much turnover as has happened this season, I would be shocked if Jody Allen could name 1/3 of the roster. She's probably just waiting for the next TV contract to be announced before she cashes out.

I just hope the Blazers don't get moved to Seattle. As much as they deserve a team, they don't deserve the team I grew up rooting for.
- Chauncey Billups
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#37 » by DusterBuster » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:33 pm

JasonStern wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I will say, the fallout from Aldridge leaving really put the start of the Dame era in a no-win situation. A ton of contracts were all up at the same time, LMA just left for nothing. Batum did not have a ton of value. Mathews blew his achilles. RoLo was just a role player. So the team was pretty much empty of all assets or ways to improve the team aside from useless cap space and CJ.

That is the worst defense for a GM I have ever heard. Well, maybe not the worst. But up there.

That was some very selective editing of my post. I very clearly said that was not meant to be a defense of Olshey. I’m having too much fun with the day to get into an argument about the past.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#38 » by JasonStern » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:37 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

That was some very selective editing of my post. I very clearly said that was not meant to be a defense of Olshey. I’m having too much fun with the day to get into an argument about the past.

It wasn't selective editing. I just quoted the first part. I think we're all in agreement that Olshey was a crap GM and the Blazers are rebuilding now instead of contending with Dame thanks to his actions. There are so many arguments/debates on RealGM, and I think Neil Olshey being a crap GM is the one thing fans of all 30 teams would agree on. Even that Old Grumpy Miami Heat fan spammer.
- Chauncey Billups
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#39 » by Dame Lizard » Sun Oct 1, 2023 11:33 pm

Cronin has done a fantastic job this offseason. Credit where credit's due.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#40 » by PDXKnight » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:42 am

On one hand it's sad because I think jrue could've been the perfect blazer. He's the anti Dame and I love everything about how he plays. Not a lot of chucking great defense and absolute team first. But he clearly didn't make sense for us moving forward so obviously the right time to move him

Return to Portland Trail Blazers