Blazers Depth Chart

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Re: Blazers Depth Chart 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 3, 2023 9:43 pm

mighty_duck wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Thybulle is the starter by default. Team might be really good if they could flip Brogdon for a competent
SF, but that won't happy until mid December, when the restrictions on Brogdon will be lifted.

What restrictions are there to dealing Brogdon before December?

Apparently, Brogdon cannot be included in a hypothetical 2/1 trade until December 3
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#22 » by Sinobas » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:41 pm

What about Kevin Knox? I know teams tend to favor their recent draft picks, but he looked pretty good at times during our tank-a-thon. He's certainly 3rd string worthy.

I wonder how deep the Blazers will play into the rotation.
I'd venture to say Scoot, Sharpe,Simons,Grant,Brogdon,Williams, Ayton,Brogdon,Thybulle will be in there at minimum. That's 5 guards and a SF with guard like size (thybulle)

If we go 10 deep, it stands to reason it would be a big man. Probably Walker because he can play PF and C.

I think the team is going to need to get away from small ball before too long though. It's not like the team is filled with lights out shooters.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,016

Post#23 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:27 pm

Realistically if we keep Brogdan to start the season I hope we run something like this -

G - Scoot Henderson (28) / Anfernee Simons (20)
G - Malcolm Brogdan (26) / Anfernee Simons (10) / Shadeon Sharpe (12)
F - Matisse Thybulle (28) / Shadeon Sharpe (16) / Kris Murray (4)
F - Jerami Grant (32) / Kris Murray (16)
C - DeAndre Ayton (28) / Rob Williams (20)

With Jabari Walker JR getting spot minutes at C and PF depending on fouls / matchups. Other guys get run with injuries or blowouts (Rayan / Camara) - Slight change that Kris gets beat out at that backup PF spot by Walker / Rayan / Camara - think we will value his shooting and mobility over the rebounding Walker brings at PF.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#24 » by Sinobas » Fri Oct 6, 2023 12:38 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Realistically if we keep Brogdan to start the season I hope we run something like this -

G - Scoot Henderson (28) / Anfernee Simons (20)
G - Malcolm Brogdan (26) / Anfernee Simons (10) / Shadeon Sharpe (12)
F - Matisse Thybulle (28) / Shadeon Sharpe (16) / Kris Murray (4)
F - Jerami Grant (32) / Kris Murray (16)
C - DeAndre Ayton (28) / Rob Williams (20)

With Jabari Walker JR getting spot minutes at C and PF depending on fouls / matchups. Other guys get run with injuries or blowouts (Rayan / Camara) - Slight change that Kris gets beat out at that backup PF spot by Walker / Rayan / Camara - think we will value his shooting and mobility over the rebounding Walker brings at PF.

I think Kris Murray gets less and Ayton/Rob get more (playing as twin towers sometimes). I hope Thuybulle isn't playing 28 either. I'd honestly rather play Brogdon at SF than Thybulle.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#25 » by Skybox » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:25 am

I like this roster. Short-term, I’d be looking at really making sure Scoot feeds everyone. A happy Ayton is a productive Ayton…a pouty Ayton is the smallest giant you’ve ever seen. I watched Dwight in ORL whine about his touches when he did nothing to develop his offensive game. Ayton sharing some time with Rob is definitely worth exploring, imo…Time Lord is, supposedly, one of the best personalities in the NBA and LOVES to do the dirty work and defend the rim…that gives Ayton some ‘me time’ on offense and some contagious energy on D. Their size makes Sharpe viable at SF, with Simons & Scoot protected defensively.

Lots of interesting combos with Grant and, hopefully, Murray able to contribute right away. I assume they’d like to move Grant’s deal as he’s another solid vet who may not relish taking a backseat to 4 kids ahead of him in the offensive pecking order. Same with Brogdon…both should be valued by good teams…certainly by trade deadline, when they decide to go all-in, finances be damned. POR shouldn’t let vets like Grant and Brogdon get in the way of the Scoot/Sharpe/Ayton dynamic developing, just for the sake of a few wins.

I’m rooting for POR. As an ORL homer, I see parallels in that both have a couple of young stars in the making. You don’t want to have a crappy losing culture, but you don’t want to emphasize vets too much either. POR is having an amazing summer, imo.

Btw, free Simons :D …he’s too soft defensively to play next to Scoot and he’s too expensive to play limited mins off the bench. ORL, if I had my way, would send their own ‘24 frp(top 5 protected) and an expiring deal in Fultz with Okeke to fill Nassir’s spot as a versatile, heady defender with shooting upside. Simons goes crazy at PG for ORL, with Suggs next to him, relishing the tougher defensive assignments.

Scoot/Fultz
Sharpe/Brogdon/Thybulle
Grant/Murray
Time Lord/Okeke
Ayton/Brown …obviously, minutes for Williams at C when Ayton is out
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#26 » by Goldbum » Fri Oct 6, 2023 2:25 pm

Skybox wrote:I like this roster. Short-term, I’d be looking at really making sure Scoot feeds everyone. A happy Ayton is a productive Ayton…a pouty Ayton is the smallest giant you’ve ever seen. I watched Dwight in ORL whine about his touches when he did nothing to develop his offensive game. Ayton sharing some time with Rob is definitely worth exploring, imo…Time Lord is, supposedly, one of the best personalities in the NBA and LOVES to do the dirty work and defend the rim…that gives Ayton some ‘me time’ on offense and some contagious energy on D. Their size makes Sharpe viable at SF, with Simons & Scoot protected defensively.

Lots of interesting combos with Grant and, hopefully, Murray able to contribute right away. I assume they’d like to move Grant’s deal as he’s another solid vet who may not relish taking a backseat to 4 kids ahead of him in the offensive pecking order. Same with Brogdon…both should be valued by good teams…certainly by trade deadline, when they decide to go all-in, finances be damned. POR shouldn’t let vets like Grant and Brogdon get in the way of the Scoot/Sharpe/Ayton dynamic developing, just for the sake of a few wins.

I’m rooting for POR. As an ORL homer, I see parallels in that both have a couple of young stars in the making. You don’t want to have a crappy losing culture, but you don’t want to emphasize vets too much either. POR is having an amazing summer, imo.

Btw, free Simons :D …he’s too soft defensively to play next to Scoot and he’s too expensive to play limited mins off the bench. ORL, if I had my way, would send their own ‘24 frp(top 5 protected) and an expiring deal in Fultz with Okeke to fill Nassir’s spot as a versatile, heady defender with shooting upside. Simons goes crazy at PG for ORL, with Suggs next to him, relishing the tougher defensive assignments.

Scoot/Fultz
Sharpe/Brogdon/Thybulle
Grant/Murray
Time Lord/Okeke
Ayton/Brown …obviously, minutes for Williams at C when Ayton is out

I agree with most of this.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#27 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 6, 2023 2:31 pm

Starting Ayton and Timelord is foolish. Spacing would be trash and RWIII isnt sturdy enough for more than a backup role. You want to keep him in the 20-22mpg range. Yes, he is an exciting player with gamechanging defense but he is also made of glass. I think you keep him fresh and rested to avoid injury.

Timelord and Okeke at PF would be a travesty IMO. Thats 2 super unreliable guys who cant shoot at all.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#28 » by Skybox » Fri Oct 6, 2023 2:46 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Starting Ayton and Timelord is foolish. Spacing would be trash and RWIII isnt sturdy enough for more than a backup role. You want to keep him in the 20-22mpg range. Yes, he is an exciting player with gamechanging defense but he is also made of glass. I think you keep him fresh and rested to avoid injury.

Timelord and Okeke at PF would be a travesty IMO. Thats 2 super unreliable guys who cant shoot at all.

You're absolutely right...dump Time Lord on ORL with Simons :nod:
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#29 » by Sinobas » Fri Oct 6, 2023 5:10 pm

Skybox wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Starting Ayton and Timelord is foolish. Spacing would be trash and RWIII isnt sturdy enough for more than a backup role. You want to keep him in the 20-22mpg range. Yes, he is an exciting player with gamechanging defense but he is also made of glass. I think you keep him fresh and rested to avoid injury.

Would you do Simons for Wendell Carter JR + filler?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#30 » by Skybox » Fri Oct 6, 2023 6:18 pm

Sinobas wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Man, that's a tough one...WCJ really is a solid guy on both ends, smart, improving every year.
-but I'm kind of trade happy, so...

ORL sends WCJ, Fultz, Okeke
POR sends Simons, Robert Williams

I can definitely argue for and against both sides all day based on availability, upside, fit, value...I LOVE WCJ but I question his fit. I don't value offense from Center as much with Paolo & Franz, so Time Lord (if healthy :roll: ) could be a beast for ORL...but then again, WCJ has looked amazing in ORL, but not exactly renowned for health/reliability either. On the other other hand, if Isaac is healthy, he's a big factor in the frontcourt depth...Simons' offensive impact outweighs my Center concerns - so I do it. Fultz is a good PG (to sell at TD?) but he just doesn't complement ORL frontcourt - we need a young CJ-type and that could be Simons. I'm not attaching firsts, but you could have a few seconds, if you insist.
Sinobas
Analyst

Post#31 » by Sinobas » Fri Oct 6, 2023 8:24 pm

Skybox wrote:
Sinobas wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Man, that's a tough one...WCJ really is a solid guy on both ends, smart, improving every year.

I can definitely argue for and against both sides all day based on availability, upside, fit, value...I LOVE WCJ but I question his fit. I don't value offense from Center as much with Paolo & Franz, so Time Lord (if healthy :roll: ) could be a beast for ORL...but then again, WCJ has looked amazing in ORL, but not exactly renowned for health/reliability either. On the other other hand, if Isaac is healthy, he's a big factor in the frontcourt depth...Simons' offensive impact outweighs my Center concerns - so I do it. Fultz is a good PG (to sell at TD?) but he just doesn't complement ORL frontcourt - we need a young CJ-type and that could be Simons. I'm not attaching firsts, but you could have a few seconds, if you insist.

The idea (at least for me) is to have 3 legit PF/Cs to rotate, which would allow Grant to play SF and we get to stop laying small ball/being a crap rebounding team. I'd even throw in a 1st with Simons, and take on a bad contract like Jonahan Issac.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#32 » by Skybox » Fri Oct 6, 2023 8:28 pm

Sinobas wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Sinobas wrote:

The idea (at least for me) is to have 3 legit PF/Cs to rotate, which would allow Grant to play SF and we get to stop laying small ball/being a crap rebounding team. I'd even throw in a 1st with Simons, and take on a bad contract like Jonahan Issac.

Isaac's going to be a difference-maker this season :roll: (I hope)...he's a defensive beast when healthy. I'd be very happy to get 20mpg from him, backing up all 3 frontcourt spots.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#33 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Oct 6, 2023 9:52 pm

I would love to do Simons for Isaac and Jett.

Would love to go from perennially undersized to oversized in a single move - think this team is really, really interesting -

G - Scoot Henderson / Malcolm Brogdan
G - Shadeon Sharpe / Malcolm Brogdan / Jett Howard
F - Jerami Grant / Matisse Thybulle / Rayan Rupert
F - Jonathan Isaac / Kris Murray / Rayan Rupert
C - DeAndre Ayton / Rob Williams / Jabari Walker JR

We would be a D first team for the first time in god knows how long.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#34 » by PDXKnight » Fri Oct 6, 2023 9:56 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I would love to do Simons for Isaac and Jett.

Would love to go from perennially undersized to oversized in a single move - think this team is really, really interesting -

I think brogdon would start over shaedon & maybe should but otherwise looks good
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#35 » by Pattycakes » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:31 pm

I’m confused why people think Brogdon is getting traded?

Chauncey and Cronin both praised him to be the vet leader of the guard circle.

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Post#36 » by JasonStern » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:43 pm

Play Sharpe as many minutes as he feels comfortable playing.
I sound like a broken record, but his floor is Darius Miles and his ceiling is Vince Carter.
Every minute he can play but we choose not to is a minute we miss out on what he can achieve.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#37 » by PDXKnight » Sat Oct 7, 2023 5:12 am

JasonStern wrote:Play Sharpe as many minutes as he feels comfortable playing.
I sound like a broken record, but his floor is Darius Miles and his ceiling is Vince Carter.
Every minute he can play but we choose not to is a minute we miss out on what he can achieve.

He should be playing his natural position & is clearly better than Ant as a prospect
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#38 » by monopoman » Sat Oct 7, 2023 6:37 am

I think Sharpe would pair better with Scoot in the starting lineup but I'm sure with the massive contract of Anfernee we will get him as the defacto starter on day 1 without question.

Pattycakes wrote:I’m confused why people think Brogdon is getting traded?

Chauncey and Cronin both praised him to be the vet leader of the guard circle.

It might be a case of they are happy to keep him but if a great offer comes in they consider him tradable.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#39 » by Norm2953 » Sat Oct 7, 2023 7:26 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I would love to do Simons for Isaac and Jett.

I'd love to add a SF who could run with Scoot and Sharpe. That guy is not on Portland's roster and
I'm not sure he's in the 2024 draft, which seems heavy in bigs.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,015

Post#40 » by Village Idiot » Sat Oct 7, 2023 7:43 am

Personally I would start a veteran group.

Starters: Brogdon, Simons, Thybulle, Grant, Ayton
2nd unit: Scoot, Sharpe, Murray, Walker, Williams
Deep bench: Mays, Rupert, Knox, Camara, Butler, Reath, Badji

Let Scoot be the first sub for Brogdon in the 1st and Simons in the 3rd and allow him to play with both the vets and the young, running group.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin

Return to Portland Trail Blazers