ImageImage

What to do with Brogdon and Williams

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Re: What to do with Brogdon and Williams 

Post#21 » by JasonStern » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:44 am

Brogdon should be moved for whatever you can get. Despite the injury situation, we have too many guards as it is.

I honestly will never get the hate for Timelord. Seems like the same hate Harkless and Aminu got. Yeah, they're flawed players. But they are solid role players.

The Dame trade went better than expected given that Cronin's hand was forced and he's still cleaning up Olshey's mess.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#22 » by Pattycakes » Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:48 pm

JasonStern wrote:Brogdon should be moved for whatever you can get. Despite the injury situation, we have too many guards as it is.

I honestly will never get the hate for Timelord. Seems like the same hate Harkless and Aminu got. Yeah, they're flawed players. But they are solid role players.

The Dame trade went better than expected given that Cronin's hand was forced and he's still cleaning up Olshey's mess.

Why would people hate him? He was a finals contender starter. Dudes just injured, not bad lol
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#23 » by m0ng0 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:25 pm

Yeah I don't understand that comment either, Williams was welcomed with open arms, he just isn't healthy
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,989

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:38 pm

Not so much on RealGM, but BlazersEdge, Locked on Blazers, and national media are all "Timelord is a trade piece". And that sucks, because I like him as a player. The fact he's out for the season shouldn't be a surprise. That's a right of passage for any Blazer big man. Except Kanter. Can't really explain that. Not really sure why we let him walk unless there was some behind the scenes drama.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#25 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:15 am

m0ng0 wrote:Yeah I don't understand that comment either, Williams was welcomed with open arms, he just isn't healthy

Williams is also one of the most likable locker room personalities too...I'd hang on for now, rather than give him away. When (IF) healthy, he's a high-level impact defender. ORL has their own in Jonathan Isaac...I'd be content to keep him for 15mpg of elite dynamic defensive impact. Time Lord could be POR's.

How about another #1 for you...Fultz (expiring), Okeke (expiring) and DEN 25 frp for Brogdon. ORL would be a nearly ideal situation. ORL lacks a good shooting, 2 way combo guard but has a deep rotation. Brogdon could play 20-25mpg and really help this promising young defensive-minded team on both ends for a couple of years. Okeke is another guy who could benefit from a new environment. He looked really good for a couple of years...good combo forward size, excellent heady defender, hits 3's and just makes smart plays...he's basically fallen out of the rotation but is still young. Regardless of whether he or Fultz ever play for POR...the point is you get the frp and no guaranteed salaries going forward...I think that's about what you should expect for Brogdon today. Maybe you bring back a better pick but probably not without taking some bad salary.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 865

Post#26 » by tester551 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:23 am

JasonStern wrote:Not so much on RealGM, but BlazersEdge, Locked on Blazers, and national media are all "Timelord is a trade piece". And that sucks, because I like him as a player. The fact he's out for the season shouldn't be a surprise. That's a right of passage for any Blazer big man. Except Kanter. Can't really explain that. Not really sure why we let him walk unless there was some behind the scenes drama.

Here's a solution...
Improve your social circle. Avoid the sewage of Blazers Edge, national media, etc. :D
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by tester551 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:34 am

Skybox wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:Yeah I don't understand that comment either, Williams was welcomed with open arms, he just isn't healthy

Williams is also one of the most likable locker room personalities too...I'd hang on for now, rather than give him away. When (IF) healthy, he's a high-level impact defender. ORL has their own in Jonathan Isaac...I'd be content to keep him for 15mpg of elite dynamic defensive impact. Time Lord could be POR's.

How about another #1 for you...Fultz (expiring), Okeke (expiring) and DEN 25 frp for Brogdon. ORL would be a nearly ideal situation. ORL lacks a good shooting, 2 way combo guard but has a deep rotation. Brogdon could play 20-25mpg and really help this promising young defensive-minded team on both ends for a couple of years. Okeke is another guy who could benefit from a new environment. He looked really good for a couple of years...good combo forward size, excellent heady defender, hits 3's and just makes smart plays...he's basically fallen out of the rotation but is still young. Regardless of whether he or Fultz ever play for POR...the point is you get the frp and no guaranteed salaries going forward...I think that's about what you should expect for Brogdon today. Maybe you bring back a better pick but probably not without taking some bad salary.

That might be a fair offer, but that really doesn't do anything for Portland.

My counter would be:

Brogdon + Murray <=> WCJ + Okeke

Alternatively
Brodgon + Wainwright <=> WCJ + Ingles

I love the idea of WCJ in Portland. Hed slot nicely in at the PF between Grant & Ayton.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#28 » by Skybox » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:25 pm

tester551 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

That might be a fair offer, but that really doesn't do anything for Portland.

My counter would be:

Brogdon + Murray <=> WCJ + Okeke

Alternatively
Brodgon + Wainwright <=> WCJ + Ingles

I love the idea of WCJ in Portland. Hed slot nicely in at the PF between Grant & Ayton.

I like WCJ next to Ayton too, but now you’re getting into Simons territory. Brogdon’s a solid player but his injury history puts WCJ at greater value than Brogdon. Ingles is no throw-in, he’s a huge part of ORL’s surge.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#29 » by Shem » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:39 pm

Williams isn't being moved anytime soon.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#30 » by Norm2953 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:21 pm

It'll be interesting to see how Portland handles this season for Detroit, Washington and SA are
setting a blistering pace in losing games.

I'd still like to add a piece like WCJ as opposed to a random, likely a protected FRP. It'd be
nice moving forward, if Portland had more than Camara, Walker and Murray up front. The
2024 draft has lots of projectable big players but if Portland ends up pick 7-9, they won't
be adding Holland, Sarr and Buzelis and more of a project big
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Post#31 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:00 am

We need to dump Brogdon off quickly when Ant comes back. It makes no sense why we are putting the ball in his hands and having Scoot either stand in the corner or not play.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#32 » by Sinobas » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:28 pm

Brogdon is taking pressure of Scoot, which I believe is good for Scoot's development. There might be something to developing players on a miserable roster. They think there is no hope to winning and give up. It's a real psychological factor.

On the other hand, they are probably not going to re-sign Brogdon, which means getting something before he exits would be better than nothing.

Williams is dead weight. I understand why we rolled the dice on him, because he'd be a great fit, but it was a long shot to begin with.
tester551
Assistant Coach

Post#33 » by tester551 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:42 pm

Sinobas wrote:On the other hand, they are probably not going to re-sign Brogdon, which means getting something before he exits would be better than nothing.

Brogdon is under contract for the '24-'25 season. No need to rush trading him.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,253

Post#34 » by monopoman » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:25 am

Sinobas wrote:Brogdon is taking pressure of Scoot, which I believe is good for Scoot's development. There might be something to developing players on a miserable roster. They think there is no hope to winning and give up. It's a real psychological factor.

On the other hand, they are probably not going to re-sign Brogdon, which means getting something before he exits would be better than nothing.

Williams is dead weight. I understand why we rolled the dice on him, because he'd be a great fit, but it was a long shot to begin with.

It's also only year 1 of Scoot as a 19 year old player that has struggled a bit. I don't think you can say with a straight face that Brogdon is stifling his development this notion that Scoot is ready to dominate today is just not true. If it was Brogdon would actually be doing less on the court because the plan would be to get Scoot the ball.

Sure his 2nd or 3rd season in we can start having this conversation but Scoot is very young and clearly needs to work on some aspects of his game.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,014

Post#35 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:52 pm

Ya - there is a difference between letting a player play through the bumps and throwing a guy absolutely not ready for a spotlight role.

Reality right now is Scoot isnt ready. He isnt a starting caliber player and if we handed him the keys to the offense your probably looking at a guy that would almost certainly be turning the ball over 5-6 times per game. Thats not a growing pain, that is the total destruction of any offensive flow. You just cant trot that out.

If Scoot gets it together as the season goes along, you can think about moving Brogdan. But the kid is closer to Fultz in terms of NBA readiness than a Rose. Which is a bit startling, but what can you do?
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#36 » by Norm2953 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:02 pm

Eventually we'll see the Scoot/Sharpe BC ready to play 36 minutes/night.

It'll be interesting to see if Simons nudges Sharpe out of the starting lineup. That might
give Portland its best chance to win in the short term. Guys can only play big minutes
when they are ready
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#37 » by PDXKnight » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:03 am

Norm2953 wrote:Eventually we'll see the Scoot/Sharpe BC ready to play 36 minutes/night.

It'll be interesting to see if Simons nudges Sharpe out of the starting lineup. That might
give Portland its best chance to win in the short term. Guys can only play big minutes
when they are ready

Ant may genuinely be our best guard at least at this point. Definitely the most efficient scorer bare minimum
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#38 » by Dame Lizard » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:38 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Eventually we'll see the Scoot/Sharpe BC ready to play 36 minutes/night.

when they are ready

Ant may genuinely be our best guard at least at this point. Definitely the most efficient scorer bare minimum
Our best two guards are certainly Ant and Brogdon imo.

Sharpe is too inconsistent and not yet efficient enough.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#39 » by GEE » Fri Dec 1, 2023 4:36 pm

m0ng0 wrote:Blow it up, trade Brogdon and Grant, we ain't going anywhere

This is my general feeling now, but I'll get back to that in a sec. When the season started, I truely believed the Blazers roster was actuallly pretty good IF, and I repeat IF Chauncey wasn't a dumb-ass and started with:
Brogden / Scoot
Simons / Sharpe
Grant / Thybulle

... but he did not, so we saw the same old garbage we've been used to seeing since even before Dame arrived. Thought we were actually going to get past that, and start winning again, and could have with plenty of good players we could have plug and played at the four, while having Ayton and TimeLord at the 5. Crazy concept I know, since Scoot IS the second coming, but I had said I thought before our first game, without shade, the kid just hasn't proved he's ready, while Simons and Sharpe(to a smaller extent) HAVE proved they can ball at the NBA level.

Today, to simply answer the topic's question, I say keep the TimeLord for sure. I like the idea of getting him as close to 100% as possible by next year's opener. Brogden is different to me, and it depends on if Cronin feels that with Brogden, we can compete for something real in the next few years... otherwise I agree we should trade him, and Grant(as you suggest) for future younger assets.

Finally... If Cronin does have a plan to be competetive by next season, which I believe is quite possible, we would have a glut between Brogden, Simons and Scoot... but I also believe that is a good problem to have, and our issue at PF, can and should be fixed without trading any of them. Hell, we may have our guy already but the tryouts between our recent additions along with Walker won't wrap up until the end of this season.

Fine-tuning the current roster might be my favorite path going forward. Mostly concerned with the coaching now honestly.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#40 » by Butter » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:17 pm

Sinobas wrote:Brogdon is taking pressure of Scoot, which I believe is good for Scoot's development. There might be something to developing players on a miserable roster. They think there is no hope to winning and give up. It's a real psychological factor.

I posted this in another thread

I'd rather just trade Simons and keep Brogdon.

In fact, I would make both Simons and Grant available. Winning low level games can be good for to avoid giving into a tanking culture, but I'd rather give those minutes to younger players, and position the Blazers for a better draft pick.

One caveat - I'd keep Brogdon, but not to win games. Scoot Henderson is one of the most important players for the Blazers future. I think Brogdon will he a better vet leader and mentor for Scoot that Simons.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers