ImageImage

Semi OT: becoming older than the players you root for...

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

RayBourque
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#21 » by RayBourque » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:54 am

i_heart_martell wrote:Its just weird because when you are younger you look up to those people like I look up to LeBron. But when I'm 30, who am I going to look up to? I can't look up to someone younger than me.

You can still look up to them if they're taller than you . . .

(lecture alert!) I know what you mean, but how many of them should you be looking at as an inspiration and example in your life anyway, even as a kid? It is easy to get sucked into looking at athletes as people to emulate - apparent success and fame - but for most of us they probably don't make great role models. Some of them do many good things, so that is certainly worth valuing, but as you get in older in life you'll probably find more diversity in the types of people you admire, why you have that admiration for them, and how it might apply to your own life.

That said, as a 40-something sports fan I do admire many of these athletes prowess on the court, rink, field, whatever - but in general my admiration stops there.

Interesting topic.

PS - Full disclosure: Ray Bourque is still my sports idol, maybe because he's just barely older than me!
Andre 2999
Sixth Man
And1: 50

Post#22 » by Andre 2999 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:12 pm

I'm only 18, so I'm not really older than anyone on the Blazers, but I am realizing that soon I will be the same age (and eventually older) than a lot of players in the draft and that definately weirds me out a bit.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers