Post#21 » by Agenda42 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 5:47 pm

zzaj wrote:There is no doubt in my mind that a lineup of:

Miller
Roy
Batum
Aldridge
Oden

can be coached successfully.

Based on what we've seen so far this season, if you play that lineup you're going to get less than 3 three pointers made per 36 minutes of play. Teams will pack the paint against you and none of Roy, Miller, or Oden will be effective.

If Miller/Roy is going to work as a backcourt, you've gotta have a deadeye shooter at the 3 or someone like Frye at the 4. Maybe in the future Batum will develop that stroke or Aldridge could develop a 3 point shot and some face-up game from the wing, then it could work.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Re: POLL: Fire Nate McMillan or Trade Andre Miller 

Post#22 » by Fitz303 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:00 pm

Agenda42 wrote:
zzaj wrote:There is no doubt in my mind that a lineup of:

Miller
Roy
Batum
Aldridge
Oden

can be coached successfully.

Based on what we've seen so far this season, if you play that lineup you're going to get less than 3 three pointers made per 36 minutes of play. Teams will pack the paint against you and none of Roy, Miller, or Oden will be effective.

If Miller/Roy is going to work as a backcourt, you've gotta have a deadeye shooter at the 3 or someone like Frye at the 4. Maybe in the future Batum will develop that stroke or Aldridge could develop a 3 point shot and some face-up game from the wing, then it could work.

Batum was a very solid 3 point shooter for a rookie, he was just very passive. He shot 37% from 3 in his rookie year, and he showed great strides this summer. Once he gets his legs under him this season, I think he will do just fine at keeping defenses honest.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,885

Post#23 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:36 pm

Downtown wrote:I read where during the longer stay that Memphis had in Portland Mike Conley stayed at Greg Oden's house and the two friends hung out together. I still think about the Miller for Conley trade that has been floated a few times in the trades and transactions forum. I just think the Grizzlies could use more of a veteran leading them at the point, although at only age 22 it's tough to trade someone like Conley who has been a big part of the Grizzlies rotation for a couple of years now.

The problem I would have with a Miller for Conley deal would be that we would have three
young PG's on the roster and two of them would be unhappy.

Memphis is doing fine at PG for Conley and Jamal Tinsley seem to be holding up quite well
and OJ Mayo can play the point for short minutes if need be.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#24 » by PDXKnight » Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:36 pm

Between the two, I'd fire McMIllan, but I don't think it should be done during the season (nor is it reasonable to expect it). I'd like to see things play out as to not ruin our current season then let Nate go and search for another guy this off season.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,642

Post#25 » by Myth » Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:43 pm

I'd only fire Nate if we knew somebody was in the wake that we could land and be an upgrade. So I said trade Andre because it is the easier move that could be done.
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#26 » by SalemStoner » Fri Jan 8, 2010 6:45 pm

I think the answer to this question is to have the coaching staff stop pretending Brandon Roy is a PG and not a SG/SF who's simply able to create off the dribble very well. This flare up has occured because the coaching staff uses Roy as a PG constantly as opposed to simply going to it on an occasional basis when it gives us a large advantage somehow(like when he's guarded by Kyle Korver or something). There's no reason we should have Roy initiating the offense when he's being guarded by the other team's best defender and we have Miller or Bayless around to help create, yet we see it quite often.
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#27 » by Ripcity4life » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:06 pm

Oh Goodie another Fire Nate thread masked as a poll this time. I do not support the idea but hell for the sake of Forum just make a "FIRE NATE " thread and pin it to the top. I am sick and tired of a new Nate whine fest thread every other day. Make a thread so all the whiney little #itches with no clue have just one place to go.

IF this post crossed a line i am sorry .. Oh hell ... No i am not. I am just one of the few with the guts and balls to say what some think everytime a new FIRE NATE thread pop up. Also by the way i am back i have not posted much in the past few months but that will change now. It's time to balance out some of the BS thinking on the site and i know some if they are honest will agree with me.

GO BLAZERS and RIPCITY FOR LIFE. XXXX
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#28 » by Milkdud » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:19 pm

No option C? Burn the mother down.

I'm not crazy about either player or coach this season or in this situation that has apparently happen.

I'm up for replacing Nate without question if there is a better coach out there to bring in. Nate shown to me is an average coach at best and a guy capable of some truly terrible coaching decisions at his worst.

As for Dre, I don't think he is some vital piece to the team, and with the team in injury shambles I'm willing to trade since I'm putting this season at a loss. But again like Nate I don't see a reason to dump him just for the sake, and he is the best PG on our roster. And in recent games the 2 best player playing right now. (maybe 3rd to Webster)
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#29 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:40 pm

I wouldn't advocate burning the team down either but I maintain as long as
Nate has the support of Roy, his job is safe.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#30 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 8, 2010 8:47 pm

Ripcity4life wrote:Oh Goodie another Fire Nate thread masked as a poll this time. I do not support the idea but hell for the sake of Forum just make a "FIRE NATE " thread and pin it to the top. I am sick and tired of a new Nate whine fest thread every other day. Make a thread so all the whiney little #itches with no clue have just one place to go.

IF this post crossed a line i am sorry .. Oh hell ... No i am not. I am just one of the few with the guts and balls to say what some think everytime a new FIRE NATE thread pop up. Also by the way i am back i have not posted much in the past few months but that will change now. It's time to balance out some of the BS thinking on the site and i know some if they are honest will agree with me.

Yes, this does cross a line. Posting in the thread just to complain about the thread itself isn't productive. If you don't like a thread's topic, you don't have to post in it.

Thanks!
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#31 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:00 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I wouldn't advocate burning the team down either but I maintain as long as
Nate has the support of Roy, his job is safe.

This is probably true. What is also probably true is that Roy isn't any better of a coach than Nate is, so this isn't exactly a partnership made in Blazer Heaven.

Look, Nate's not a genius. A lot of coaches play slow-down styles featuring isolations of their best player. They don't win in the playoffs, though. The coaches that win in the playoffs are ones that can utilize all the weapons they have to their maximum (look at how PJ has won championships by getting big series out of guys like Horry, BJ Armstrong, and Fisher). Nate seems to have grasped the results of this system without really comprehending the intricacies.

That said, I don't know that Andre is really the best "player coach" as some have suggested elsewhere. Frankly, I'd love to see Juwan become a coach, though. That guy is the Buddha of the team.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#32 » by Shem » Fri Jan 8, 2010 9:29 pm

Ripcity4life wrote:Oh Goodie another Fire Nate thread masked as a poll this time. I do not support the idea but hell for the sake of Forum just make a "FIRE NATE " thread and pin it to the top. I am sick and tired of a new Nate whine fest thread every other day. Make a thread so all the whiney little #itches with no clue have just one place to go.

The reason for this thread is posted my original post about it. I was curious to see what fans would favor. This particular query came because I saw people who wanted to see Nate get fired and some who wanted Miller to be traded. Basically fans right away took sides and my curiosity wanted to see what our fans favored.

Right at this moment I see 80% fire Nate, and 20% to trade Miller. It's a bit more lopsided than I thought it would be.
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Ripcity4life
Analyst
And1: 218

Post#33 » by Ripcity4life » Fri Jan 8, 2010 10:22 pm

1st off Shem i am not trying to hijack this thread and i do have respect for your opinions and others. However i will admit there are a few i do not and my guess is some know who they are but i will not digress any further.

Now to the real point ...

I know my post kind of attacked some and i will admit i could have been more diplomatic about it but i did let emotion take over. However the real point to my post and of course lost is WE this board should just Sticky a Topic like "Should the Blazers Fire Nate " or something like it. I mean it seems like there is a NEW Fire Nate thread every other day or at least a new one after a loss.
Yadadimean
Analyst
And1: 76

Post#34 » by Yadadimean » Fri Jan 8, 2010 11:10 pm

if nate was fired who would you replace him with? i dont see a viable option who is better.
Signature
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#35 » by GEE » Fri Jan 8, 2010 11:33 pm

I do. Monte....Demopolis....Avery next year?
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#36 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jan 9, 2010 1:30 am

Be careful what you ask for Terry Porter who has already been fired twice is
around...
LicketyBrindle
Junior
And1: 9

Post#37 » by LicketyBrindle » Sat Jan 9, 2010 2:44 am

TBpup wrote:
Nate seems like a play hard coach. Thats fine if you're playing rec ball, but it's horrible to watch at such a professional level.. The guy is so inflexible, it was horrible trying to see him trying to integrate Oden into the offense.

And while I commend Nate for his 'play hard, play the right way' attitude, it seems so often he has no real idea of how to actually coach, teach or implement the very things he is lamenting.

What I don't understand is how Nate gets such a pass from most of the local media. Yesterday Wheels was talking about the Miller situation and advocating that Portland didn't need a real PG, but rather someone like Blake who could stretch the defense....he compared Blake to Paxson/Kerr. While Blake may have some similarities, Chicago had Jordan and while we all love Brandon, he is no where near Jordan's level. Also, they had Pippen who facilitated a lot of the offense and helped with the ball handling...Portland has no other option like that and Nate shows no willingness or ability to move towards that.

So we are stuck with just Roy and when a lowly team like the Clippers can hold him to 6 points, what do you think teams in the playoffs will do? For Nate and Brandon not to see they need another facilitator for the good of the team is beyond me. Either that, either Nate won't coach it or Brandon won't allow it.

Exactly. I commend Nate for taking us out of the Jailblazer era and teaching some of the young guys how to be professional. But he is now over his head in being able to take this team and develop them to their fullest potential. The Por media just continues to give him pass after pass and this is what baffles me. I understand this coming from the "Mike's" because they are on the payroll. But I don't understand why more of the media doesn't question him. Even in this Miller/Nate blowup the media seems to instantlly side with Nate and wants to paint Miller as the villian. I can tell you if this was NY or Chicago or Boston Nate would be catching plenty of heat from the media on a daily basis.
I lost all hope when Nate picked up a clipboard.......
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#38 » by Shem » Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:17 am

Ripcity4life wrote:1st off Shem i am not trying to hijack this thread and i do have respect for your opinions and others. However i will admit there are a few i do not and my guess is some know who they are but i will not digress any further.

I knew this would spark some discussion, but I was too curious for my own good I guess you can say. I wanted to know the ratio. I knew the fire Nate would win, but I didn't think it would be this bad. So you can say I did it for learning purposes.

This also just proves how much we usually favor players or coaches when situations like this come up. Maybe it's because as some of us used to be players and that includes grade school in pee-wee type leagues and it's easier for us to relate to players than coaches as most of were players rather than coaches which is why we tend to defend the players first. ;)
April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
Sociablecolt
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#39 » by Sociablecolt » Sat Jan 9, 2010 4:24 pm

:O :O
I'm not a big blazers fan but i was soooo surprise when i seen fire nate more the trade andre

please explain to me why do you guys want nate fired he's an amazing coach
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#40 » by TBpup » Sat Jan 9, 2010 4:42 pm

Frankly, I'd love to see Juwan become a coach, though. That guy is the Buddha of the team.

That is awesome! :clap:
@TBpup22

Return to Portland Trail Blazers