Read on Twitter
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Re: Summer league 2023 

Post#242 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:07 am

Scoot having fun on the bench cheering on his teammates.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#243 » by zzaj » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:28 am

I have to admit that I'm a little bit concerned about Sharpe. I realize it's summer league, and he's said in interviews that he's mostly playing to have fun with the SL experience and be with teammates...but based on how he played the last 15 games of last season you'd expect him to look at least a little bit dominant in this setting. Right now he doesn't look like a starting SG on even a bad team.

I see zero intensity in his game right now. Based purely on his SL play I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 6th man coming off the bench behind Scoot/Ant. That's directly opposite of how I felt a couple of weeks ago.

I've never really seen "it" in him, but that last 15 games showed us what it looked like as an incredibly high USG player. What concerns me is that he will just coast unless he's got the ball in his hands--and between Scoot and Grant, he won't be getting the USG he did at the end of last season.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#244 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:14 am

zzaj wrote:I have to admit that I'm a little bit concerned about Sharpe. I realize it's summer league, and he's said in interviews that he's mostly playing to have fun with the SL experience and be with teammates...but based on how he played the last 15 games of last season you'd expect him to look at least a little bit dominant in this setting. Right now he doesn't look like a starting SG on even a bad team.

I see zero intensity in his game right now. Based purely on his SL play I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 6th man coming off the bench behind Scoot/Ant. That's directly opposite of how I felt a couple of weeks ago.

I've never really seen "it" in him, but that last 15 games showed us what it looked like as an incredibly high USG player. What concerns me is that he will just coast unless he's got the ball in his hands--and between Scoot and Grant, high won't be getting the USG he did at the end of last season.

I'd be willing to bet Ant will start the season ahead of Sharpe for he was downgraded before the
2022 draft because of questions of just how much of a competitor he was. The guys seems to
coast a lot, which might not suit the alpha personality of Scoot. I could continue to think he
might have been a top 3 pick if he had pulled a Kyrie Irving and played in the NCAA tournament
at the UK.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,183

Post#245 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:00 am

Missed the game tonight but I agreed Sharpe is a tad concerning so far in summer league, he needs to be more dominant in a setting like this. He has a tendency to coast, it was evident early last year but he looked better at the end of last year when he was given the responsibility of leading the team, his intensity on both offense and defense stepped up, so I think he is the type of player/person that needs to be given a challenge and have that attitude trained or coaxed out of him.

Scoot is a day 1 emotional leader of the team, I think he is just going to be that guy. When he has a good game everyone is going to have a good game. The energy that he plays with is obviously the kind that is infectious. And long term I think that is perfect to have from your point guard but in the short term it might kind of a problem for Sharpe because I think a full year of being "the guy" would be good for his development.
GEE
Starter
And1: 334

Post#246 » by GEE » Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:41 pm

Considering Scoot is a rookie and ANT has earned the job, I have this Game 1:

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / Thybulle
Grant / Little

This could change over time though, with a fair competition between Simons and Scoot for who gets the starting job, and who challenges the NBA for 6th man oty. Nice problem to have IMO. It's either that, or we go small AGAIN and start them both, which depending on what we do at PF, might not be the worst option, but I really hope we don't.

Ultimately... I think if both Simons and Scoot are truely about winning, than the open competion idea should work just fine. My belief that Simons doesn't have a big head should help, IF Scoot is so good that he NEEDS to start. We'll see, but I think he will have a lot to learn still, before he's ready to take over Simons job. Next year has a much higher chance of this happening I think, and though Simons wouldn't be happy about it, I think if it produces a winning formula, he would be OK with it IF and WHEN Scoot becomes the better option to start at PG.

Those 6 guys 1 through 3 above look really good IMO, and if Cronin can do an equally nice job fixing the PF and Center depth with the eventual Dame trade, then we could be quite good... quite soon.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#247 » by Norm2953 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:03 pm

GEE wrote:Considering Scoot is a rookie and ANT has earned the job, I have this Game 1:

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / Thybulle
Grant / Little

This could change over time though, with a fair competition between Simons and Scoot for who gets the starting job, and who challenges the NBA for 6th man oty. Nice problem to have IMO. It's either that, or we go small AGAIN and start them both, which depending on what we do at PF, might not be the worst option, but I really hope we don't.

Ultimately... I think if both Simons and Scoot are truely about winning, than the open competion idea should work just fine. My belief that Simons doesn't have a big head should help, IF Scoot is so good that he NEEDS to start. We'll see, but I think he will have a lot to learn still, before he's ready to take over Simons job. Next year has a much higher chance of this happening I think, and though Simons wouldn't be happy about it, I think if it produces a winning formula, he would be OK with it IF and WHEN Scoot becomes the better option to start at PG.

Those 6 guys 1 through 3 above look really good IMO, and if Cronin can do an equally nice job fixing the PF and Center depth with the eventual Dame trade, then we could be quite good... quite soon.

More likely Portland would start Scoot given his alpha personality unless he's injured
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,183

Post#248 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:00 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
GEE wrote:Considering Scoot is a rookie and ANT has earned the job, I have this Game 1:

Simons / Scoot
Sharpe / Thybulle
Grant / Little

More likely Portland would start Scoot given his alpha personality unless he's injured

Yeah its not like the first game beginning of the preseason is the first chance the coaches have to evaluate these guys. I think it will be evident about 5 minutes into training camp that Scoot is the best player to play at PG for us.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,011

Post#249 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:42 am

I wasnt super high on him but the game Asur just had scares me. Makes me worried we missed on a generational wing defender, albeit it’s SL and who knows.

But the kid has something. Looks legit like Pippen at times.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#250 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:05 am

Man, 0.6 seconds cost the Blazers a playoff spot.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#251 » by zzaj » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:10 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I wasnt super high on him but the game Asur just had scares me. Makes me worried we missed on a generational wing defender, albeit it’s SL and who knows.

But the kid has something. Looks legit like Pippen at times.

He’ll be great…like I’ve said all along, he’ll end up a better player than his brother, although both will be good.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#252 » by mighty_duck » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:25 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:Man, 0.6 seconds cost the Blazers a playoff spot.

Yeah, was thinking that, except I blame the stupid attempted alley oop that came before.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#253 » by Norm2953 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:51 pm

Blazers play the Heat tomorrow. How many of the Heat players end up as Blazers?
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#254 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:49 am

Norm2953 wrote:Blazers play the Heat tomorrow. How many of the Heat players end up as Blazers?

I want to say two (Jovic and Jauqez Jr), but I honestly think it’ll probably just be one because Crolshey is a bad GM and will get owned by Riley.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
RTG HD
Rookie
And1: 741

Post#255 » by RTG HD » Sun Jul 16, 2023 2:55 am

DusterBuster wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Blazers play the Heat tomorrow. How many of the Heat players end up as Blazers?

I want to say two (Jovic and Jauqez Jr), but I honestly think it’ll probably just be one because Crolshey is a bad GM and will get owned by Riley.

Painfully true.
GEE
Starter

Post#256 » by GEE » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:46 am

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Before the draft, Lively was pretty high on my list of guys at 23, and he started rising. Getting an athletic big would’ve been ideal.

But when that wasn’t happening, my #1 get at 23 was Kris Murray. While Jabari Walker works at it making basketball plays as a rotation player — for years to come — Murray is a step or two up while making it look smoother, easier. How hard he works and how fast his motor will run will make the difference. Improving his handles and strength will help him stay on the court. Solid D and catch and shoot will pay off early.

Really like this guy.
8-)

Badji seems a bit slow to react and challenge at the rim, so he sometimes just doesn’t when he knows guys are already up. It’s early for him.
Reath is a big body guy who wants to be out there and just play. Moves well up and down. Ready to take shots. Work. He looks much more ready than Badji and his time with Australia’s national team with Matisse helps him. 2 way contract at least. Sign him.

Really like this Analysis. I agree with all of it: I too really wish we had a rim-running 7 footer from Duke, and have been for some time now. but moreso agree Murray and Reath should be keepers. With Walker already improving, you can see us slowly getting some size down low. I said the day we drafted Walker that I saw him very much as a Looney 2.0. Badji and that stick-man we still have are both still garbage, not worth keeping, and should be cut yesterday. Still can't believe we cut GB3, to keep both of these scrubs.
GEE
Starter

Post#257 » by GEE » Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:00 am

Forget who made the ZBO comment a few days ago... but props on that one. I was thinking the exact same when I saw Reath first hit the court. He looked just like ZBO out there, with a faster motor. Keeper!
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,015

Post#258 » by Village Idiot » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:58 am

I am really impressed by the improvement Jabari Walker has made since last summer. He seems to know where to be and what to do when he's out there on the court.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,088

Post#259 » by DaVoiceMaster » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:02 am

mighty_duck wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:Man, 0.6 seconds cost the Blazers a playoff spot.

Yeah, was thinking that, except I blame the stupid attempted alley oop that came before.

Exactly my point. Just dribble the clock out or dish it to Sharpe who was cutting past him.
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 317

Post#260 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:59 am

GEE wrote:Forget who made the ZBO comment a few days ago... but props on that one. I was thinking the exact same when I saw Reath first hit the court. He looked just like ZBO out there, with a faster motor. Keeper!

Agreed. The way he carries his shoulders looks like Zach though he is noticeably bigger. Good midrange, lays some wood … minimum is as a better 3rd stringer than Eubanks. Just thicker.

Orlando Robinson of the Heat may get traded to Portland. I haven’t seen him play before, but he’s an NBA player as a back-up center. He’s not Uber athletic — decent and great length — but he was Summer League GOOD. [Better than than that, IMHO.]. Three years at Fresno State and he shot 3 3’s a game at 35% his last year, with 71% on his free throws, overall.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers