ImageImage

Summer league 2023

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Re: Summer league 2023 

Post#261 » by mighty_duck » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:53 pm

It's a shame Devoe didn't make the Summer league all-nba first or second team. He was our engine after Scoot went down the first game.
Fairly impressive numbers: in only 24 minutes a game,
18.8 points, 3.3 rpb, 4.5 apg. shot a ridiculous 64.7% 3p fp%.
He shot the 3 at 40% in 4 years of college, so the kid can legit shoot, handle, drive and dish. Not an elite athlete, but has great size for a PG, and did just fine on D. I would love to see him on the final roster.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,180

Post#262 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:55 am

I missed the last two games but from what I can tell I didn't really miss anything important.

That said, IMO Summer League was kind of a bust as far as the Blazers are concerned, nothing much came from it.

- didn't get to see much scoot (although he DID look very good, just the amount was disappointing)
- saw nothing of keon
- sharpe wasn't bad but he coasted and struggled more often than he should have here with other guys out
- murray pretty lackluster. his brother dominated last year and with a year older why is he struggling. too passive.
- Walker with good effort but overall he is still pretty limited. good to see him working on the 3, that and o-boards are his best bets to stick
- rupert was pretty useless. i see the defensive potential but that is about it (as far as second round picks go that's fine I guess), no offense tho
- badji was plain bad. Outplayed by his bench sub (although that guy is 27 so he SHOULD look more polished) but I don't see it at all

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's all bad and everyone sucked the whole time. But there was almost nothing that was impressive or memorable. Please someone help me see more of the light here. (in reflection a large part of my disappointment was being too excited to see an early look at the Scoot/Sharpe combo, too high of expectations can often color ones experience as such)
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#263 » by Pattycakes » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:38 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:I missed the last two games but from what I can tell I didn't really miss anything important.

That said, IMO Summer League was kind of a bust as far as the Blazers are concerned, nothing much came from it.

- didn't get to see much scoot (although he DID look very good, just the amount was disappointing)
- saw nothing of keon
- sharpe wasn't bad but he coasted and struggled more often than he should have here with other guys out
- murray pretty lackluster. his brother dominated last year and with a year older why is he struggling. too passive.
- Walker with good effort but overall he is still pretty limited. good to see him working on the 3, that and o-boards are his best bets to stick
- rupert was pretty useless. i see the defensive potential but that is about it (as far as second round picks go that's fine I guess), no offense tho
- badji was plain bad. Outplayed by his bench sub (although that guy is 27 so he SHOULD look more polished) but I don't see it at all

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's all bad and everyone sucked the whole time. But there was almost nothing that was impressive or memorable. Please someone help me see more of the light here. (in reflection a large part of my disappointment was being too excited to see an early look at the Scoot/Sharpe combo, too high of expectations can often color ones experience as such)

Ironically the last two games has some time glimpses of the things you seemed to seek more of in the games you did see :)
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#264 » by zzaj » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:13 am

TSE and anyone who is interested…

The latest episode of the True Hoop podcast has coach David Thorpe, and he gives A LOT of insight into the ins and outs of what SL is all about. Specifically, he outlines why certain players seem to shine, but then can’t sniff minutes in actual NBA games…and all of the issues surrounding Guards and Bigs. He is highly critical of the methods of the current coaching world, which was oddly refreshing.

Anyway, the context he gives tracks pretty closely with Sharpe’s and others’ performances. Worth a listen if you’ve got 45 minutes.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers