ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,991

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#321 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 8, 2024 8:48 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:
We instantly drop off majorly from an already dreadful record. No thanks. DA recovered fine last year

Good. We need to suck next year and get a good pick in a really good draft.

DA is a stopgap to keep us watchable. He is going to be long gone by the time we are a playoff team again IMO (Which is 3+ years away).

There’s literally no sign that is actually true.

Perfect age, perfect on-court compliment to our other pieces, shows will to hustle and improve to fit others around him.

He needs to mature, that is clear to anyone. But he appears to love and support his teammates and they appear to do the same.

I think many people here just don’t like him.. but Nurk once got a lot of hate for his emotions too. Became a fan favorite. Don’t see any real indications DA can’t or won’t evolve to the same spot once the team is winning more.

He is a C who shoots 14 times per game without stretching the floor, getting to the line or really passing well. He is a decent man defender but otherwise isnt a rim protector or smart off ball defender. He is a dinosaur in todays league.

Every other C in the league shooting 12+ shots per game can either stretch the floor, get to the line or create points via passing (Outside Vucevic) -

Joel Embiid - stretch (3.6), line (11.0), pass (5.6)
Nikola Jokic - stretch (2.9), line (5.5), pass (9.0)
Jaren Jackson JR - stretch (5.5), line (6.3)
Anthony Davis - line (6.8), pass (3.5)
Victor Wembayana - stretch (5.5), line (5.2), pass (3.9)
Nikola Vucevic - sucks
Alperen Sengun - line (5.6), pass (5.0)
Karl Anthony-Towns - stretch (5.3), line (4.7), pass (3.0)
Bam Adebayo - line (5.5), pass (3.9)
Kristaps Porzingis - stretch (5.1), line (5.3)
Domantas Sabonis - line (5.1), pass (8.2)

Ayton doesnt stretch the floor (0.2 3PTA per game), doesnt get to the line (1.3 FTA per game), and doesnt pass well (1.6 APG).

Ayton is just-a-guy. A guy that gets enough shots to put some numbers up, but really nothing special in any way.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,877

Post#322 » by Norm2953 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:05 pm

It'd be interesting to see how much DA would play if TL was healthy for while he would not put
up DA's numbers, he'd a physical player who would protect the basket as well as rebound.

It's why I'd like to see the Blazers add either Sarr or Clingan if TL is not going to be healthy for I'd
hate for the team have to offer up DA an extension for $35-40 million as Portland's only big.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#323 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 8, 2024 9:39 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It'd be interesting to see how much DA would play if TL was healthy for while he would not put
up DA's numbers, he'd a physical player who would protect the basket as well as rebound.

It's why I'd like to see the Blazers add either Sarr or Clingan if TL is not going to be healthy for I'd
hate for the team have to offer up DA an extension for $35-40 million as Portland's only big.

My hope is we trade TL, win the lotto and draft Sarr then simply let Ayton walk in 2 years when Sarr is ready to go (Or move him at the 25/26 deadline).

By that time (Start of 2026/27 season) you have Sarr at 21, Scoot at 22 and Sharpe at 23 as the core guys + likely another Top-5 pick from the 2025 draft and probably another lotto pick from the 2026 draft. Thats a pretty nice position to be in moving forward.

I really like RWIII but I think he is much more valuable to a team in a win-now spot that us. If a squad is ready to pony something up for him, you do it.

I hope entering 24/25 we have moved Simons, Grant and Timelord. I like keeping Brogdan and Matisse around as culture setters assuming they dont have a wild market (Which I dont foresee - think neither are pulling a FRP this offseason).
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 24

Post#324 » by Walton1one » Wed May 8, 2024 9:53 pm

I would be mildly surprised if the Timelord is traded this offseason, his health issues are well chronicled and I would think to maximize his value, POR would want to play him judiciously next year and then trade him at the deadline, provided he\POR can keep him healthy.

Guys like Thybulle, Brogdon should be dealt and hopefully one\both (unlikely) Simons\Grant as well. Simons makes the most sense b\c of the fit with Scoot\Sharpe. Simons likely does not want to come off the bench behind two 2nd year players and the fit with him and Scoot in the starting lineup is not good, and of course he wants to play for a winning team (which makes sense gvien his age\time in the league), which likely is not happening for a few years either, and by having him\starting\playing a lot of minutes he is delaying the potential development of Sharpe & Scoot.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 856

Post#325 » by tester551 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:55 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:It'd be interesting to see how much DA would play if TL was healthy for while he would not put

My hope is we trade TL, win the lotto and draft Sarr then simply let Ayton walk in 2 years when Sarr is ready to go (Or move him at the 25/26 deadline).

By that time (Start of 2026/27 season) you have Sarr at 21, Scoot at 22 and Sharpe at 23 as the core guys + likely another Top-5 pick from the 2025 draft and probably another lotto pick from the 2026 draft. Thats a pretty nice position to be in moving forward.

I really like RWIII but I think he is much more valuable to a team in a win-now spot that us. If a squad is ready to pony something up for him, you do it.

I hope entering 24/25 we have moved Simons, Grant and Timelord. I like keeping Brogdan and Matisse around as culture setters assuming they dont have a wild market (Which I dont foresee - think neither are pulling a FRP this offseason).

I don't get the consternation regarding Ayton.

He's a decent to good starting C. Yes, he's overpaid by ~$8M per year... but last season he was arguably Portland's best player behind Brogdon (out of players with >200 minutes played - he is #2 in WS/48, #2 in VORP, #3 in BPM, tied for best DRtg, only player with a positive ORtg-DRtg, best rebounder, #2 in TS%).

IMO, if he wasn't a former #1 pick and was being paid $24M/year instead of $32M, people's view of him would be different.

He's objectively a talent upgrade over Nurk, and young enough to fit the core.

I hated when the Suns picked him #1 in 2018. I believe I had him 4th on my personal draft board that year (after Doncic, JJJ, & Mikal Bridges). I could see he was immature and didn't have the drive to be great... but despite that, he has a lot of talent.

Portland is actually in a good situation regarding DA. I think he's really starting to mature a bit & we'll be able to reap the best years of his career. [to be clear, he will never be All-star level (because he doesn't have the drive/mentality for that), but he will be a top 8-12 C in the league].
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#326 » by Village Idiot » Thu May 9, 2024 6:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I don't see Sarr as a true center. His shoulders and hips are too narrow. He'll get tossed around on the block by true centers. He would be more of a hybrid PF/C like Holmgren or Mobley. Sarr, like Ayton, sets crappy screens which will limit his effectiveness in an NBA offense. I like Sarr as a PF where he will have a major comparative advantage.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#327 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 9, 2024 9:42 pm

Village Idiot wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

I don't see Sarr as a true center. His shoulders and hips are too narrow. He'll get tossed around on the block by true centers. He would be more of a hybrid PF/C like Holmgren or Mobley. Sarr, like Ayton, sets crappy screens which will limit his effectiveness in an NBA offense. I like Sarr as a PF where he will have a major comparative advantage.

Chet is as narrow as they come and played 100% of his minutes at C last year per BBRef (They are not exact, but the margin of error would still have him overwhelmingly being a C). Mobley was about a 50/50 split.

You can maybe run Sarr at PF if you have a C that can shoot 4-5 3's per game at above league efficiency. But running a double non-shooting PF / C starting duo is just not working in the league these days. And Sarr is much more projection than reality as a shooter. His best quality is having C size and elite switchability.

FWIW - Myles Turner came into the league a twig and has bulked a ton. Sarr reminds me of him quite a bit. (I dont think he is quite the prospect Evan and especially Chet were - but in this draft getting a guy projected as a Myles Turner caliber player is about as good as you can hope for).

Speaking on Chet - this board had quite a few who didnt buy into him. Sure has made them eat crow. I sure as hell would trade Scoot and Sharpe for a single Chet 10 out of 10 times.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,940

Post#328 » by cdubbz » Sat May 11, 2024 9:31 pm

Just a random thought - I wonder if Phoenix would be interested in swapping their 1st round pick at 22 for both Blazers 2nd round picks. They're in need of cheap bodies. I dont know the draft that deep but if the Blazers like a guy in the 20s it could work out.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,535

Post#329 » by Pattycakes » Sat May 11, 2024 10:10 pm

tester551 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

He's a decent to good starting C. Yes, he's overpaid by ~$8M per year... but last season he was arguably Portland's best player behind Brogdon (out of players with >200 minutes played - he is #2 in WS/48, #2 in VORP, #3 in BPM, tied for best DRtg, only player with a positive ORtg-DRtg, best rebounder, #2 in TS%).

IMO, if he wasn't a former #1 pick and was being paid $24M/year instead of $32M, people's view of him would be different.

I hated when the Suns picked him #1 in 2018. I believe I had him 4th on my personal draft board that year (after Doncic, JJJ, & Mikal Bridges). I could see he was immature and didn't have the drive to be great... but despite that, he has a lot of talent.

Portland is actually in a good situation regarding DA. I think he's really starting to mature a bit & we'll be able to reap the best years of his career. [to be clear, he will never be All-star level (because he doesn't have the drive/mentality for that), but he will be a top 8-12 C in the league].

Thank God. Someone without bias hatred of DA commenting about DA. This is all the objective truth I feel.

I think DA def has all star potential but it’s all the maturity part you speak of.

If he matures, and hustles 24-7 he’s easily pushing 25/15 many many nights. No all star game turns that down.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#330 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:49 am

cdubbz wrote:Just a random thought - I wonder if Phoenix would be interested in swapping their 1st round pick at 22 for both Blazers 2nd round picks. They're in need of cheap bodies. I dont know the draft that deep but if the Blazers like a guy in the 20s it could work out.

That might be a good move for both teams for SRP's don't have guaranteed money which might help
a team like the Suns, heavy into the second apron.

Might help Portland if they wanted to target a specific player for this draft is supposed to be deep
in guys who will be solid role players.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#331 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 1:52 am

Pattycakes wrote:
tester551 wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Thank God. Someone without bias hatred of DA commenting about DA. This is all the objective truth I feel.

I think DA def has all star potential but it’s all the maturity part you speak of.

If he matures, and hustles 24-7 he’s easily pushing 25/15 many many nights. No all star game turns that down.

I don't hate Ayton but would hate paying him $40+ million/season if he's playing like a top 10-12 center in the
league.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,659

Post#332 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun May 12, 2024 7:21 pm

We get the Golden State pick
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#333 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun May 12, 2024 7:22 pm

Damn we fell three spots
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,600

Post#334 » by JRoy » Sun May 12, 2024 7:23 pm

7 and 14
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#335 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:25 pm

It must really suck to be Detroit to be the worst team in the league and end up with the fifth pick
(again)
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#336 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 12, 2024 7:28 pm

JRoy wrote:7 and 14

My guys Ron Holland or Dalton Knecht // Zach Edey should still be doable. I couldn’t care less about the position drop this year.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#337 » by kdawg32086 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:29 pm

Do they tell the team representatives the results in the room before they go out to reveal it? It seems like the representatives getting the #1 picks recently are overly smiling when they introduce the team reps. I noticed it with the SA rep last year and with Fields today.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM

Post#338 » by Brandon-Clyde » Sun May 12, 2024 7:29 pm

What a sucky day. First someone smashes into my car door now this.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,940

Post#339 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 pm

JRoy wrote:7 and 14

eh.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#340 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 12, 2024 7:36 pm

Let’s not lose perspective. Position did not matter that much this year. What matters is scouting which our team has excelled at recently. Two lotto picks is beautiful, we can just draft better than the other teams and still get a better product.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers