ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,625

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#341 » by JRoy » Sun May 12, 2024 7:39 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
JRoy wrote:7 and 14

My guys Ron Holland or Dalton Knecht // Zach Edey should still be doable. I couldn’t care less about the position drop this year.

I am onboard the Edey at 14 train.

Not sure at 7 yet but hopefully not another small guard.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 931

Post#342 » by kdawg32086 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:41 pm

Give me Clingan at 7 and either Filipowski or Edey at 14. Keep drafting big men until eventually one of them pans out.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,965

Post#343 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 7:45 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

My guys Ron Holland or Dalton Knecht // Zach Edey should still be doable. I couldn’t care less about the position drop this year.

I like Edey at #34. #14 seems like a stretch for what his ceiling could be.

His speed will be a factor and with the way the game is played in the NBA he would be used as a situational big man since he can't switch or guard smaller more athletic bigs. Filipowski seems more suited for the NBA with his size and speed as a big man, but Filipowski doesn't have many elite skills imo. Solid or average are ways to describe his game.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,541

Post#344 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 12, 2024 7:48 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

I like Edey at #34. #14 seems like a stretch for what his ceiling could be.

For me it’s the immediate impact. Both Holland and Edey are young, but as surefire guarantees to stick around (at least rotation) as you get this year.

I trust our scouting but that’s just my personal target at both
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#345 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 7:54 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:What a sucky day. First someone smashes into my car door now this.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

It does suck for my daughter sent my wife a cake for Mother's day and the delivery guy delivered it somewhere
else :banghead:
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,176

Post#346 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun May 12, 2024 7:55 pm

Houston almost doubling our win total and picking ahead of us... uhg makes tanking feel pointless. Which is a good thing for the league because I hate intentional losing and think it should not be rewarded but really makes all the shenanigans we pulled this year feel like wasted time. I hope we don't go for another 20 win season next year and end up crying about it with Piston fans.

I am guessing at 7 we are looking at a wing/forward and I am not sure there is a well established pecking order for those guys yet. Risacher, Castle, Buzelis, Holland and Williams seem to be the most likely to have a couple available at our pick but I haven't really looked into them much and see a lot of red flags at first glance so maybe we go BPA and fill another position.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#347 » by Butter » Sun May 12, 2024 8:00 pm

Tidjane Salaun
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#348 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 8:00 pm

I like best front court player at 7 and Edey at 14.

I really think in short doses, Edey is going to terrorize second unit teams around the league
for nobody can match up with him. I'm hoping for enough guards going 1-6 that would allow
Portland to draft Matas at 7
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,541

Post#349 » by Pattycakes » Sun May 12, 2024 8:09 pm

Norm2953 wrote:I like best front court player at 7 and Edey at 14.

I really think in short doses, Edey is going to terrorize second unit teams around the league
for nobody can match up with him. I'm hoping for enough guards going 1-6 that would allow

People like to crap on the ignite but scoot looked (at least) like a solid 6 man by the end of the year last year. Holland and Matas should both be fine. I’d be happy with either - prefer the first
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#350 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 9:23 pm

Reed Sheppard and Rob Dilingam standing next to each other are the EXACT SAME height. Stephon Castle listed at 6'6 looks like he's 6'8 standing across from them :lol:

Basically - Reed & Rob are both 6'0 and not 6'3 like they're listed.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#351 » by cdubbz » Sun May 12, 2024 9:27 pm

I'm rooting for Edey, but watching him against UCONN in the Championship game and how hard he had to work to get post ups and get shots up makes me believe he won't terrorize in the NBA unless he vastly improves in several areas. I struggle to see how he would be effective against faster bigs who stretch the floor and can dribble like a Naz Reid. Or how he would react to a double team in the NBA - he was slow looking to react against UCONN.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#352 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:34 pm

cdubbz wrote:

I'm rooting for Edey, but watching him against UCONN in the Championship game and how hard he had to work to get post ups and get shots up makes me believe he won't terrorize in the NBA unless he vastly improves in several areas. I struggle to see how he would be effective against faster bigs who stretch these floor and can dribble like a Naz Reid. Or how he would react to a double team in the NBA - he was slow looking to react against UCONN.

Edey however was just one man against a team with two lottery players including a guy who Woj thinks might
go #1 in Clingan

Playing 15-18 mpg, he might terrorize teams who will have 6-8/6-9 guys defending him. Edey is 7-4 300 lbs
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#353 » by Norm2953 » Sun May 12, 2024 9:38 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

People like to crap on the ignite but scoot looked (at least) like a solid 6 man by the end of the year last year. Holland and Matas should both be fine. I’d be happy with either - prefer the first

One of those guys should be there at 7, especially if Topic and the two UK guards go in the top six.
Woj is already saying he thinks Clingan could go #1
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Post#354 » by wco81 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:30 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It must really suck to be Detroit to be the worst team in the league and end up with the fifth pick
(again)

Brandon-Clyde wrote:What a sucky day. First someone smashes into my car door now this.

So Hawks must have jumped both Pistons and Blazers to get the #1 pick?

They must have had what, like the #10 or #11 best odds?
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Post#355 » by GreenRiddler » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

It doesn't matter too much that we fell 3 spots as this draft is a crapshoot you just need rally good talent evaluation and we have that in Schmidt.

This draft there are so many guards at the top and even Clingan who I don't love as a top 8 pick will probably be drafted before us which is a silver lining.

This leaves a lot of what we need. Matas, Holland, Cody Williams, Castle (who I view as a SG/SF size wise) all available at 7.

We can even trade up from 7 as some teams might not like the guys at 3-6 and would be fine with 7 if we really zero in on someone like Risacher or Buzelis.

For our 14th pick I am hoping we can trade up for a team like OKC that wants more proven players to fall back two spots like a Matisse and or Jabari Walker + #14 package for #12OKC #11 Chicago or or even #10 with Utah.

With the great year Camara had we don't need Matisse but a team like OKC who is struggling with Kyrie and Luka could use. That could give us a game changer at #14 as well with Salaun or Cody Williams and anyone else who falls (Holland, Shepard or Dalton could all fall that far)

I could see us getting Holland or Williams at #7 and Salaun at #14.

That would give us great young prospects to team up with Sharpe, Scoot and Anfernee/DA. If healthy I could see us over achieving to make a run in the playoffs. in 2026 April.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#356 » by GreenRiddler » Sun May 12, 2024 10:31 pm

wco81 wrote:

Norm2953 wrote:It must really suck to be Detroit to be the worst team in the league and end up with the fifth pick
(again)

So Hawks must have jumped both Pistons and Blazers to get the #1 pick?

They must have had what, like the #10 or #11 best odds?

3% chance at the #1 pick. I think they might trade it along with Houston at #3.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,875

Post#357 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun May 12, 2024 10:42 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:It doesn't matter too much that we fell 3 spots as this draft is a crapshoot you just need rally good talent evaluation and we have that in Schmidt.

This draft there are so many guards at the top and even Clingan who I don't love as a top 8 pick will probably be drafted before us which is a silver lining.

This leaves a lot of what we need. Matas, Holland, Cody Williams, Castle (who I view as a SG/SF size wise) all available at 7.

We can even trade up from 7 as some teams might not like the guys at 3-6 and would be fine with 7 if we really zero in on someone like Risacher or Buzelis.

For our 14th pick I am hoping we can trade up for a team like OKC that wants more proven players to fall back two spots like a Matisse and or Jabari Walker + #14 package for #12OKC #11 Chicago or or even #10 with Utah.

With the great year Camara had we don't need Matisse but a team like OKC who is struggling with Kyrie and Luka could use. That could give us a game changer at #14 as well with Salaun or Cody Williams and anyone else who falls (Holland, Shepard or Dalton could all fall that far)

I could see us getting Holland or Williams at #7 and Salaun at #14.

That would give us great young prospects to team up with Sharpe, Scoot and Anfernee/DA. If healthy I could see us over achieving to make a run in the playoffs. in 2026 April.

You and are I of like-mind. I was a little sad at first, but I think that's because I was only watching on mute and doing other stuff. And then I was like /shrug.

I'm not in love with Sarr. ZR's shooting dropped as the year went on, that was a concern. I'd rather (and I know not everyone feels this way) save karma for trying to land a top two next year and taking chances on wings this year and the wings are landing all right in that 7-14 zone.

So I'm pretty cool with it. Also very happy for the Hawks, those fans are generally good guys over there and it's been so long for them! Congrats!
wco81
RealGM

Post#358 » by wco81 » Sun May 12, 2024 10:46 pm

Maybe the NBA is trying to help Atlanta fix the mistake they made choosing Trae over Luka.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#359 » by GreenRiddler » Sun May 12, 2024 11:15 pm

The more I look at the teams at the top as long as they don't trade their picks I could easily see Matas falling to 7 who I love for us.

Sarr probably a lock at 1

Washington needs playmaking and shooting and too high for Matas even if he impresses at workouts. --probably Topic

#3 Hou- They need quick fits and shooting, they have a lot of wings and SFs/PFs. I easily see them going back and forth on a big like Clingan with Adams and Sengun's injuries and Reed Sheppard as they don't need a swing and a miss Sheppard is as translatable and plug and play as anyone in the top 5. I could see them trading down for Dalton if they don't love this spot and if they can't land a star for this pick in a trade.

#4 Spurs--They really really need a guard with how bad the experiment went with Sochan at PG. I see them easily taking Rob Dill who looked fantastic at Kentucky this year and his main question mark on defense is a non issue at the PG position and with them having a perennial DPOY in Wemby (1 mother $%#@ ping pong ball man)

#5 Det- They need shooting shooting and more shooting. One of the worst shooting teams in the league last year that clogged up the paint so much it made Cade look pedestrian at times while he is one of the brightest young start in the league. They got no shooting on the wing with to start the year but added some with Fournier and Grimes. I see them snatching up Sheppard or drafting down one or two spots to take Dalton at the SG/SF position along Cade and Ausar. I don't see the fit with Matas who has a nice looking stroke but shot poorly at the 3 and FT line for the Ignite this year.

#6 Maybe Charlotte loves Matas at here in workouts but I don't see it Brandon Miller had too good a year and it would be too weird a fit I see them going for Clingan if available or Castle who would be great beside Miller's shooting along with LaMelo to add leadership defensive versatility and connective playmaking on the wing.

#7 Matas- perfect fit for us to slide into the 3 or 4 spot (4 if we trade Grant) has great size, high ceiling could easily be the best player in this draft and is an all around swiss army knife with a chance to show his shooting is much better than the lack luster year in the G league.

1--Sarr-ATL
2--Topic-Wsh
3--Risacher-Hou
4--Dillingham-SAS
5--Sheppard-Det
6--Clingan-Char
7--Matas-Por
8--Castle-SAS
9--Williams-Mem
10--Holland-Uta
11--Collier-Chi
12--Ja'Kobe-OKC
13--Salaun-Sac
14--Yves-Por
wco81
RealGM

Post#360 » by wco81 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:06 am

Blazers have accumulated a lot of draft assets and they already have 3 players picked in the first-round in the last two drafts who each played at least 21-22 MPG.

Then they have Walker who played 23-24 minutes, who was drafted in the second round in 2022.

So these are all young players whom they're trying to develop, either into stars or at least impact role players.

They're going to add 2 more players drafted in the first round in this draft.

Are they going to be able to give regular minutes to these players in their rookie seasons, in addition to all the other young players they're trying to develop?

Would they just take the minutes from players like Camara or Thybulle?

Return to Portland Trail Blazers