Re: Quick: Blazers in talks with East team for PG and SF 

Post#341 » by GoBlazersGo » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:46 am

*throws tater tots at Mr. Odd*
SalemStoner
Veteran
And1: 82

Post#342 » by SalemStoner » Tue Feb 3, 2009 5:51 am

I think our quest here, and Bosh/Amare's possible trades could be very easily linked in a 3 way. If the Bulls or Pistons or Wizards wanted to go after Bosh I suspect it might be more valuable for them to get RLEC and a couple extra picks/prospects from us with a Deng/Prince/Butler headed our way. While Deng is young enough to stay through a rebuild in TOR, Prince and Butler would definately be a bit old to build around while being perfect compliments here.

Also hasn't KP been interested in Calderon in the past?
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#343 » by TBpup » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:03 am

Odd...well, you are in the ball park. Maybe a tweak here and there and a bit of context missing but not bad.

I dont remember them all but one was
that the deal hes hearing now looks like its 65%-35%
chance that it WONT happen & the Blazers might be
thinking of trading to get a contract for 2010 & filler.
Also that the Blazers tried to get Ray Allen.

65%-35% against a trade happening. That was just a rough guesstimate based on things I've heard. A couple intruiging conversations but nothing that is imminent.

The RLEC for one that ended next year, that was just the chance at getting a huge contract that ended next year for a chance to go after the massive FA class and have cap room or a S&T to be able to work with. Not that this would be it but think of something like T-Mac's contract. Much less likely.

Ray Allen...that was in response to a question from several years ago.

:starwars
@TBpup22
TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#344 » by TradeMachine » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:30 am

TBpup wrote:Odd...well, you are in the ball park. Maybe a tweak here and there and a bit of context missing but not bad.

65%-35% against a trade happening. That was just a rough guesstimate based on things I've heard. A couple intruiging conversations but nothing that is imminent.

The RLEC for one that ended next year, that was just the chance at getting a huge contract that ended next year for a chance to go after the massive FA class and have cap room or a S&T to be able to work with. Not that this would be it but think of something like T-Mac's contract. Much less likely.

So, KP is trying to make us a destination in the '10 free agency? How does that work with all the extensions forthcoming to BRoy and Aldridge?

EDIT:

Speculating here about contracts that end in '10 that I think KP might go after in this scenario:

1. Joe Johnson
2. Josh Howard
3. TMac
4. TJ Ford
5. Camby
6. RJ
7. Mike Redd
8. Mike Miller
9. Nash
10. Shaq
11. Amare (?)
12. Manu
13. Bosh (?)
14. Harpring

That's all I can come up with.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#345 » by mojomarc » Tue Feb 3, 2009 10:46 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Mr Odd wrote:TB was in the game chat for awhile during the game.
For all of those who believe in what he says, he had
a few tid-bits. I dont remember them all but one was
thinking of trading to get a contract for 2010 & filler
Also that the Blazers tried to get Ray Allen. Again, I
could be remembering things wrong.. .If I am then
just laugh at me and toss tater tots in my direction.
Oh, and TB said something about Billys massive guns.
Then mojo started going on about his bi*chin' camaro.

trade Lafrentz for a 2010 expiring contract?...is that what you mean?

that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. That would foreclose on any opportunity to make a deal with cap-space. Who know what will be available this summer. And if nothing is available, then they can trade cap-space for a 2010 expiring. That shouldn't be too much of a problem in that the other team would get a TPE as well as cap and salary relief. That's good leverage.

I don't agree that there isn't some sense in doing the trade now. The price of a 2010 expiring will go up considerably once there is only one season left on the contract, so making the trade now might get us a better player we can use next year and still have an expiring (Chris Bosh??? Lebron ???? Make it happen, KP!!! ;)) because Paul Allen can obsorb an extra year of salary.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,336

Post#346 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 3:10 pm

mojomarc wrote:
I don't agree that there isn't some sense in doing the trade now. The price of a 2010 expiring will go up considerably once there is only one season left on the contract, so making the trade now might get us a better player we can use next year and still have an expiring (Chris Bosh??? Lebron ???? Make it happen, KP!!! ;)) because Paul Allen can obsorb an extra year of salary.

I try to go past the theory, and look at the practicallity...

2010 expiring contracts:

Joe Johnson...no
Speedy Claxton....at 5.2 million, too small for Raef's and they have little filler in Atl
Ray Allen...no
Larry Hughes...Reinsdorf would obviously like to save money, but it's a bigger contract then Raef's
Ben Wallace...no reason at all for Cleveland to do this unless Portland adds something
Jerry Stackhouse...Dallas has no other filler contracts and no reason to do it anyway
Marcus Canby....no
Richard Hamilton & McDeyess...Detroit has no reason to trade them for an expiring
Stephen Jackson...no
TMac....no
Rafer Alston....too small a contract
Jermaine O'Neal....no
Tim Thomas....Yeah, Portland could get this one if they were willing to take on Curry or Jeffries
Darko Millic....maybe if portland & memphis would actually talk and blazers take on Jaric as well
Udonis Haslem...he's a starter on a playoff hopefull team. Maybe if portland was willing to add a .....good player, a pick, and take on Banks
Mike Miller & Brian Cardinal...that's been discussed and it would take more then Lafrentz
Bobby Simmons...I'd guess Thorn would do a straight swap, but he's pretty shrewd
Mike James...NO doesn't have enough filler and they will be a rival if they aren't already
Quentin Richardson...see Tim Thomas
Brad Miller, Kenny Thomas, Mikki Moore...Portland could probably get Thomas and Shelden Williams for lafrentz and Randolph...but for godsakes, Why?
Etan Thomas...maybe, if blazers are willing to add a 1st and take on stevenson from wiz,

I just don't see many possibilities that don't include portland locking up a roster spot for an extra season past next season, or would require portland to add players or picks as sweetener. The fact is, that a lot of those expirings are already on the teams that are planning for cap-space in 2010. They have little reason to move them. Most of the expirings don't match Raef's contract salary-wise either, and a lot of teams don't have much in the way of expendable filler.

This then loops right back around to where we are: portland using Lafrentz, other players, and pick now, or waiting till this summer.

I don't think there is any logic at all in not testing the market for 8-15 million in cap-space that portland could have this summer, especially for the sake of a long-shot bet that a 2010 expiring will net anything positive for portland. The plan should be to see what's available this summer using cap-space, and if nothing is, then the blazers can use that cap-space to trade for a 2010 expiring. Better yet, maybe they can carry 8-10 million of cap-space (along with the expiring contracts of Blake and Outlaw) into next season's trade deadline. That would be a hell of a lot more trade leverage then somebody like Larry Hughes or kenny Thomas.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#347 » by tester551 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:05 pm

TBpup wrote:Odd...well, you are in the ball park. Maybe a tweak here and there and a bit of context missing but not bad.

I think Portland will allow RLEC just to expire. They will have the option of signing a FA this summer or obtain someone in a salary dump (ala Camby going to the Clippers). I see the most likely scenerio is for the Blazers to pick up Richard Jefferson sometime over the summer for very little.

As I understand what TPup wrote regarding the 2010 FA class, then Jefferson's contract will work out perfect. Portland will not be under the cap with the extentions of Roy & LA, therefore we will need a large expiring contract in 2011 (and young talent) to complete a sign & trade for a 2010 FA of Portland's choice.
TBpup
Lead Assistant
And1: 241

Post#348 » by TBpup » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:07 pm

So, KP is trying to make us a destination in the '10 free agency? How does that work with all the extensions forthcoming to BRoy and Aldridge?

I would say 'trying' is not the most accurate description. It's more of an option that if it came up, they would look at it with that possibility in mind.

@TBpup22
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#349 » by Billy » Tue Feb 3, 2009 4:12 pm

Odd you crack me up :P
Bob loblaw
Junior
And1: 0

Post#350 » by Bob loblaw » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:06 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:
mojomarc wrote:

I try to go past the theory, and look at the practicallity...

2010 expiring contracts:

Mike Miller & Brian Cardinal...that's been discussed and it would take more then Lafrent

Outlaw and Lafrentz for Miller Cardinal works and seems balanced to me. Wolves land an inexpensive sf and save a ton of money. I think Miller and Cardinal would fit in well and give the Blazers tons of 2010 options. I say do it now.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#351 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:48 pm

rumor in philly is Miller, Evans and Rush for Sergio, Raef and Outlaw. a conditional pick may or may not be involved.
Cives
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#352 » by Cives » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:53 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:rumor in philly is Miller, Evans and Rush for Sergio, Raef and Outlaw. a conditional pick may or may not be involved.

thats pretty bad for Portland, IMO. Evans and Rush wont crack the rotation. That is a lot of assets for Portland to give up for a 1year rental PG.
Andrei should use his once a year "allowance" to bang Cheryl Miller, thus creating the perfect basketball player.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#353 » by Billy » Tue Feb 3, 2009 7:58 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:rumor in philly is Miller, Evans and Rush for Sergio, Raef and Outlaw. a conditional pick may or may not be involved.

What is the source in Philly?

From Portland's perspective, it may be on the table, but I doubt they take it unless they really feel Miller is the missing piece. Even then, don't expect anything like this to be consummated until right before the deadline. Portland will be fishing for something bigger that's for sure.

Miller is nice, but they should not have to give up any youth for him. He's one of the few free agents that they can probably compete for this off season.

Edit: I see that you have connections. Thanks for the update.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#354 » by Spykes » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:01 pm

Humm... I think having Evans included in this deal gives the Blazers reason for pause. He does give the Blazers a competent backup PF (certainly better than watching Frye or Diogu), which is something I've always said the Blazers need if they move Outlaw. That said, I do think losing Outlaw hurts the Blazers bench quite a bit.

In the end tho, I think Evans' contract might be a deal killer for Portland. If they have to let Miller walk in the summer, then the Blazers essentially would have traded Serigo and Outlaw for Evans. Yikes. Portland's SF depth also becomes dangerously thin after the deal. Although, I guess it's not terribly deep to begin with...

Miller/Blake
Roy/Bayless
Batum/Rudy/Rush
Aldridge/Evans/Diogu
Oden/Przybilla/Frye

That's probably the best lineup to continue giving Bayless minutes after Blake gets back. Evans and Przybilla give the Blazers some nice muscle up front, but not a ton of scoring. Blake, Bayless and Rudy have to provide the scoring, but the team could use Bayless in that lineup a lot like they use Roy in the starting lineup. Bayless handling the ball at the top of the 3pt line with Blake and Rudy camped out in the corners for open 3's when Bayless drives to the rim and the defenses collapse on him.

Interesting deal, not totally sold on it tho.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#355 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:08 pm

I think the sixers know Miller wont be back...and if they can get something that will keep them competitive this year and help next year too..they will do it. Otherwise they will keep him. The Sixers need a shooter and Outlaw can help there..although I wouldnt have an issue if it was Webster either.

The one thing the Sixers have too many of now is bigs...with Brand coming off bench..they got Brand, Speights, Evans, Ratliff all vying for minutes. Brand will eventually start once he starts showing glimpes of what made him a 20-10 guy in the past.
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#356 » by Billy » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks for the info sixerfan1976.

I have a hard time gauging which player Portland would prefer to keep/value higher between Webster and Outlaw.

On one hand, Outlaw has been one of Portland's top bench players for 2 years straight, and gives Portland their best option at backup PF and SF right now. On the other he seems to have a hard time fitting in if he's not the primary option and seems to have difficulty doing the right thing on the court. He seems to be the most valuable player that Portland has that they also would be willing to include in most trade talks.

With Webster he's been hurt and now has a contract that could potentially tank his value (length wise). Money wise it's pretty good though. The thing that makes me wonder whether Portland would opt to keep him over Outlaw (despite some obvious reasons to do the opposite) is the fact that Pritchard went out and gave him that contract, despite being notoriously stingy with any sort of salary commitments extending into 09-10. He's a spot up shooter who in theory would work tremendously with either the first or second unit as a means to spread the floor. Arguably, he's probably a little less prone to mistakes than Outlaw--but he has to get healthy first.

The glut you mentioned in PF's probably kills any thought of including Diogu or Frye instead of Sergio.

Interesting stuff, again thanks for the update.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#357 » by sixerfan1976 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 8:22 pm

no problem..I will let you know if i hear anything more. Feel free to add to the topic on teh sixer board if you hear anything out west. Hope both teams end up happy.
Mr Odd
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#358 » by Mr Odd » Tue Feb 3, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks for the info sixerfan!!

-

Yeah.. .my sum up of the game chat
might of been sabotaged by alcohol.

Also the fear of tater tots & Billys massive guns.
bing'o-bang'o-bong'o-baby!!
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#359 » by SouthJersey » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:09 pm

As a sixers fan, this is a tough one bc I like Outlaw, but I dont think the sixers would have a spot for him. He's primarily a 3, and sixers already have a jam at SF. Adding Outlaw would cramp their rotation even more. Webster is the player I'd want the Sixers to get cause he can come in and start at the 2 once he is healthy again, if he ever gets healthy. I'm guessing Rudy is off limits?
Billy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#360 » by Billy » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:18 pm

SouthJersey wrote:As a sixers fan, this is a tough one bc I like Outlaw, but I dont think the sixers would have a spot for him. He's primarily a 3, and sixers already have a jam at SF. Adding Outlaw would cramp their rotation even more. Webster is the player I'd want the Sixers to get cause he can come in and start at the 2 once he is healthy again, if he ever gets healthy. I'm guessing Rudy is off limits?

Outlaw looks like a 3, should be a 3, but can't really play the 3. He'd essentially be a 3/4 tweener that is best matched up against slower PF's.

As far as Rudy goes, I'd have to think he's off limits unless more than just Miller is coming back.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers