ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#381 » by zzaj » Mon May 13, 2024 8:58 pm

I know I said in Schmitz I trust...but I'll be pretty bummed if the Blazers pick Ron Holland--he's exactly the wrong player for Portland. It would give the Blazers Murray, Rupert, Camara, and Holland--all players that either don't have an NBA level skill or in the case of Camara, maybe 1 NBA level skill.

The Blazers need shooting in the worst way.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 136

Post#382 » by Butter » Mon May 13, 2024 9:19 pm

Is Salaun at the combine? Any word on his measurements?
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,880

Post#383 » by Norm2953 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:35 pm

Holland quite possibly end up in Charlotte, especially if Miller plays more SG. He's going to be a very active, athletic energy type of player, quite possibly Jerome Kersey 2.0
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,635

Post#384 » by JRoy » Mon May 13, 2024 9:37 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Holland quite possibly end up in Charlotte, especially if Miller plays more SG. He's going to be a very active, athletic energy type of player, quite possibly Jerome Kersey 2.0

That what I thought Tari Eason would be; wanted him over Sharpe.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#385 » by Walton1one » Mon May 13, 2024 10:20 pm

Falling to #7, while not as bad as it could be in most drafts, still is a little bit of a bummer and could leave POR with a tough\less inspiring choice @ #7 IMO, as all of the higher rated wings could be gone by then.

I think Sarr (obviously), Riscacher, Buzelis will all be gone before POR picks @ #7, very likely that both Castle & Holland will be gone as well, there is slight chance that maybe one of them could be there, depending if\how many teams ahead of POR take one of the guards (Topic\Dillingham\Sheppard)? Then you hope that some team takes Clingan early, leaving a Holland\Castle (slim chance Buzelis\Risacher falls to POR) to be there for POR.

I would guess at least one of the guards will be gone as well (probably Topic)?

Both Sheppard\Dillingham measurements are not encouraging, they just confirmed that they are smallish guards who are better suited as an off guard, not appealing IMO. The last thing POR needs is another small off-guard to rotate with Scoot\Sharpe. Fit alongside Scoot aside, why potentially trade Simons just to draft a smaller and likely inferior player to him?

If that scenario plays out, oof. That could leave POR with a choice b\t Clingan (although he could go earlier), Sheppard, Dillingham or reaching early for Williams\Salaun, either of whom have too many question marks to go that high IMO. Maybe an outlier would be Knecht, who can shoot, but is a poor defender and struggles with height\athletic defenders (which is all he will see in the NBA).

Out of that group, I would guess Clingan, but @ #7 seems wasted for POR. Ayton is 25, and not going anywhere soon, also a far better player. So POR would be drafting a guy to compete for backup minutes with Reath\Timelord, and unless POR trades Williams away this offseason (I find that unlikely) then he will be getting those minutes before Clingan, at least until Williams is dealt.

I think the measurements for Holland (6'6.5) bodes well for him, he is basically the same size as C.Williams (shorter than I thought he would be) with far better production playing in the G-League (FAR better competition). Williams is skinny as heck and even if you buy the upside, it may take 2-3 years for him to begin to realize it. Salaun is also raw as heck and he may not even be better than his countryman, Pacome Dadiet, who is flying up the boards. Both of those guys are real boom\bust picks IMO, fine at #14, @ #7 though, a little risky...

I hope POR stays the heck away from Ware, yeah he is blowing up the athletic measurements at the combine, but he has an established reputation as a player whose effort wavers. One of the biggest red flags IMO, are players who have questions about effort.

I would guess worse case scenario, if none of Riscaher\Buzelis\Holland\Castle are there at #7, then POR would likely take Clingan, unless they reach for Williams\Salaun. Have a tough time seeing Sheppard\Dillingham. I mean they would be committed to jettisoning Simons (they may be anyway) and then have to be all in that one of those two guys was going to turn out like Maxey, even then the fit with Scoot, not ideal...

One interesting scenario is what if Topic was there? I don't think he will be, but if for some reason he was there, does POR take him? More likely they trade back and gain some future assets or a young player, I would guess? Maybe if this scenario plays out, that might be the best thing to do anyway.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 880

Post#386 » by red_power » Mon May 13, 2024 10:25 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
red_power wrote:The more I think about the possibility of taking any of those guys the more I become interested in Rob Dilligham. What if this dude ends up being an all-star level offensive contributor in the NBA? He could be a nice insurance option if Scoot fails to improve his performance much.

Dillingham measured out at 6-1 164 lbs with a 6-3 wingspan which is tiny. Shepherd doesn't
measure out much better but does have a 42" vertical which suggests he'll now go ahead of
Dillingham

I like Ron Holland at 7 but he might have made himself Millions for he's a solid 6-8 in shoes and
now might go between 4-6

Those are almost Jalen Brunson's metric who is a legit all star at this point of his career.
Anyway, Dillingham had absolutely elite finishing numbers in college. He's also a decent distributor and racked 1.5stl/PER40 (which means he might not an Ant-level liability defensively).

I won't be disappointed to see him selected, considering the alternatives.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Post#387 » by Blazinaway » Mon May 13, 2024 10:28 pm

Apparently, Topic injured same knee today he injured previously in Europe game, some say it looked bad but haven't seen any repeort yet, hope its minor
red_power
Sixth Man

Post#388 » by red_power » Mon May 13, 2024 10:53 pm

Walton1one wrote:I think the measurements for Holland (6'6.5) bodes well for him, he is basically the same size as C.Williams (shorter than I thought he would be) with far better production playing in the G-League (FAR better competition). Williams is skinny as heck and even if you buy the upside, it may take 2-3 years for him to begin to realize it.

He has Nic Batum's upside at best IMO
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,660

Post#389 » by Brandon-Clyde » Mon May 13, 2024 11:14 pm

So how high could Portland move up using their two second round picks? Either from 7 or 14.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
Butter
General Manager

Post#390 » by Butter » Mon May 13, 2024 11:19 pm

Brandon-Clyde wrote:So how high could Portland move up using their two second round picks? Either from 7 or 14.

I'm interested in that option too. It would be great if they could trade up a couple spots from #14. I don't see a scenario that they need four rookies this year.
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#391 » by Walton1one » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 pm

red_power wrote:He has Nic Batum's upside at best IMO

I don't think that is his best outcome, or likelliest IMO...The outcome that made the most sense to me as likeliest was Gerald Wallace.

I also think his upside, if his 3pt\outside shooting comes around to league average, which is possible (his FT% in G-league was 76%). I'd give the benefit of the doubt to any player who is 18yr or younger playing in the G-League and putting up 20ppg with no real distributor on the team. IF his shooting comes around, with his effort\defense\athletic ability, he could end up the best player coming out of this draft.
red_power
Sixth Man

Post#392 » by red_power » Tue May 14, 2024 12:47 am

Walton1one wrote:
red_power wrote:He has Nic Batum's upside at best IMO

I don't think that is his best outcome, or likelliest IMO...The outcome that made the most sense to me as likeliest was Gerald Wallace.

I also think his upside, if his 3pt\outside shooting comes around to league average, which is possible (his FT% in G-league was 76%). I'd give the benefit of the doubt to any player who is 18yr or younger playing in the G-League and putting up 20ppg with no real distributor on the team. IF his shooting comes around, with his effort\defense\athletic ability, he could end up the best player coming out of this draft.

I meant Williams when I had made that comparison
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#393 » by zzaj » Tue May 14, 2024 12:55 am

Blazinaway wrote:Apparently, Topic injured same knee today he injured previously in Europe game, some say it looked bad but haven't seen any repeort yet, hope its minor

Doesn’t seem minor. He might have to wait a year and show he can stay healthy if he wants Lotto money.

Read on Twitter
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,974

Post#394 » by cdubbz » Tue May 14, 2024 12:56 am

Bronny James 2nd round pick anyone?!

Most exciting 2nd round pick since who?
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#395 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 14, 2024 1:18 am

Cody Williams tested well at the combine today, other than coming in at 178 lbs

He might be a default option at 7 if both Buzelis/Holland are both gone and the UK guards
drop due to both being 6-1
Butter
General Manager

Post#396 » by Butter » Tue May 14, 2024 2:06 am

Norm2953 wrote:Cody Williams tested well at the combine today, other than coming in at 178 lbs

He might be a default option at 7 if both Buzelis/Holland are both gone and the UK guards
drop due to both being 6-1

If they draft a wing, I'm hoping they are can shoot lights out. They Blazers already have a lot of athletic defending wings who are marginal shooters.

Ideally, I'd love it if the BPA available is a 4/5.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Post#397 » by GreenRiddler » Tue May 14, 2024 2:39 am

Yeah I see us taking one of Matas/Holland/Cody unless something crazy happens and Risacher falls. I think we are banking on intangible guys who can play great defense and be connective pieces at the 3. When Sharpe comes back healthy and plays like he did that stretch before he got injured that's exaclty what we need beside him Ant and Scoot. All these guys fit that mold well.

With the second pick I hope we double up and get Salaun or go for Yvess. I'm more bullish on our prospects of being a good team sooner rather than later once we are healthy and all our guys are play together. If we can get a Matas or Holland/Cody that would only speed that up.

With Scoot getting a whole year down pat to work out the kinks I see him and Shaedon making that jump next year with Ant and Ayton already there.
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#398 » by TheDraftGuy » Tue May 14, 2024 4:29 am

Walton1one wrote:I don't think that is his best outcome, or likelliest IMO...The outcome that made the most sense to me as likeliest was Gerald Wallace

With Holland, I think that's the case and a comp I use for him. His way of attacking the rim with power but limited body control makes him very Gerald Wallace-esque. Also Rudy Gay and Luol Deng.

I think he should have that type of impact. That makes his floor higher imo.

Cody Williams, on the other hand, has higher upside. It won't be realized for a few years but for Portland, who is looking to complete the starting lineup with a Cooper Flag, Ace Bailey, AJ Dybantsa, etc, that would be fine to gamble on.

Due to his bursts of athleticism where he can get some flashy dunks and his lean physique, I see some Darius Miles in Cody Williams. However, his playmaking, defense, and shooting potential could make him have shades of Otto Porter Jr and Lamar Odom-esque, as well. De'Andre Hunter is another comp here.

Of course, the thing is that Cody Williams was far more advanced than these comparisons were as freshmen/HS players.

At some level, you get a glue guy (the Batum comp being fair). But if he develops into something more like his brother, you get a great player by the time you are, hopefully, able to get a Cooper, Ace, Cam, or AJ....all of whom will fit better next to a Cody Williams anyway due to him having some capability to defer and set teammates up.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#399 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue May 14, 2024 4:58 am

I don’t see Gerald in Holland. Wallace was a 99 percentile athlete, Holland is well above average but like Gerald was posting close to 4 stock per game seasons.

I think Gay is a bit closer but his shot was a good deal smoother.

Best case he reminds me a bit of a Jaylen Brown. Brown was a 29% 3 and 65% FT guy in college. Not great handle (Same with Holland) but a well built guy at a young age with a plus motor and 2 way skills.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#400 » by Norm2953 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:45 am

It'll be interesting if Topic tore his ACL and might miss his rookie season.

A team like OKC could afford to pick him at 12 and allow him to get fully healthy, for they
don't need any immediate help going into next season.

It'll be interesting to see what Washington does at 2 for Shepherd might go top 5 with the injury
to Topic

Lots of team boards seem to want their team to trade down, so if Portland wants trade up to get
a specific player not named Sarr, 7,14 might get it done

Return to Portland Trail Blazers