ImageImage

Welcome to Portland Sterling Scoot Henderson!

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,065

Re: Welcome to Portland Sterling Scoot Henderson! 

Post#81 » by NotMyKawhi » Sun Jul 2, 2023 1:27 am

Legend

Will be better than Dame
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 19,052

Post#82 » by DusterBuster » Sun Jul 2, 2023 3:41 am

NotMyKawhi wrote:Legend

Will be better than Dame

Unlikely, not really sure why you’re even posting here. Dame ain’t going to Toronto.

Regardless tho, I don’t think Scoot needs to be better than Dame to be a fan favorite and face of the franchise. Excited to see someone else take that and run with it, and Scoot seems built from the same cloth as Dame for being a super high character natural leader.

As bad as these situations can be, the Blazers have a 2 year head start on their rebuild with Scoot and Sharpe. I think - player wise - they’re in good hands.

Now if we can just get the team sold and someone to come in and clean house in the FO/coaching.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,414

Post#83 » by Blazinaway » Sun Jul 2, 2023 1:32 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

Will be better than Dame

Unlikely, not really sure why you’re even posting here. Dame ain’t going to Toronto.

Regardless tho, I don’t think Scoot needs to be better than Dame to be a fan favorite and face of the franchise. Excited to see someone else take that and run with it, and Scoot seems built from the same cloth as Dame for being a super high character natural leader.

As bad as these situations can be, the Blazers have a 2 year head start on their rebuild with Scoot and Sharpe. I think - player wise - they’re in good hands.

Now if we can just get the team sold and someone to come in and clean house in the FO/coaching.

"Better" is an interesting term for this. I think/hope Scoot will be a "better" 2-way player, I think he will play better D,perhaps a good deal better. He won't be the better offensive player, that I'd bet on. However, his style of play IMO will get more teammates involved and there will likely be much less ISO ball which in the long run will result in a better team and be much more fun to watch. This is way early to even speculate this much but I am excited to see what he can do.
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#84 » by DC_Melo » Mon Jul 3, 2023 1:01 pm

This kid is going to be special. We’ve never had an athletic prospect as talented as Scoot on our roster. We’ve had athletic (Outlaw, Sharpe, Bayless), and we’ve had talented (Roy, Dame (and yes both were underrated athletes) Aldridge, CJ…), but never this much of both. If you watch his tape, what stands out most is how much bigger he looks and plays than his listed height. Even as a 6’2 18 year old, he played like a man among boys for the Ignite.

There’s so much to like about his game… his first step, his vision, his playmaking and handles. And for those worried about his perimeter shooting, there’s reason to believe it will improve. His mechanics are fluid, he shoots well from mid range, and was competent from the HS 3. It’s his range that needs extending, and it showed improvement from year 1 to year 2 with the Ignite.

I’m gonna really miss Dame, but man am I excited for Scoot!
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Post#85 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Jul 6, 2023 6:13 am

If you look at his first step and how he drives he’s very similar to Dame.

He will be much better on D and a better floor general that gets his team involved. I think he will be a good 3 point shooter once he gets his balance from 3. I could see him be a career 35% from 3 on okay volume like 4 a games ( Lillard shoots a lot but is only a career 37%)

I think he’ll go to the line a lot in his career over 5 pergame he needs to improve his FT shooting though. I could easily see him become a Ja/Fox like clone at 25 ppg on 7-8asts and 5-6rebs with 46/35/82 splits with efficiency due to FTAs.

It’s gonna be surreal to get another ROY in a draft with a generationally talent 7 footer. Maybe Scoot will come out the overall better player like Dame is over Davis or Ja has Ben over Zion.

One thing is for sure Scoot is 100000x better than Dame was at 19. The difference will be how hard he works to be a Fox instead of a Bledsoe. With him and Shaedon we got a bright future. I still see Sharpe as the future best player tho like Tatum vs Jaylen. For the first time since the 2019 WCF run I’m excited about the Blazers.

He could make Charlotte look very foolish as early as Friday with how Miller has struggled albeit he is not in season shape due to Mono and it’s just SL.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,432

Post#86 » by GreenRiddler » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:42 pm

Rewatching De’aaron Fox’s scouting report and man is Scoot and him very similar.

—Both can make threes but comp to a low 30s percent 3 point shooter on low to avg volume
—I say this cause both shoot in the 70s on their FTs
—Big time rim pressure guards who push it on misses
—go to their dominate hand at the rim even driving to the rim on their weak hand side
—-Both loved the mid range pull-up too much and have poor shot selection at times settling even though their amazing quickness puts pressure on defenders
—De’aaron didn’t have a great rookie year but then again weighed less than 170lbs when he suited up
—Scoot has bigger hands (Same size as Kawhi), bigger wingspan (6’9” almost as long as Donovan Mitch) and much more muscular at the exact age Fox was when her was drafted in 2017

At the end of the day If Scoot adjusts and doesn’t try to be a 3pt chucker and cuts out settling for jumpers he can be a 23-25ppg 6-8asts and 5 Rebs player with 47/34/80 shooting splits on 6-8FTAs a game like Fox I can see him doing this by year or 4 like Fox

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 554

Post#87 » by Goldbum » Sat Jul 8, 2023 12:56 pm

Scoot looks fantastic. I've given up on comps let's just watch and see.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,684

Post#88 » by PDXKnight » Sat Jul 8, 2023 3:49 pm

DusterBuster wrote:

Will be better than Dame

I'm not sure where Scoot ends up on the all time blazers list and it's certainly putting a lot on him to declare he will be better than Dame. I certainly wouldn't make that prediction myself and definitely not before seeing him play a single minute of real nba action.

Scoot has the physical attributes to be very good player, if he can stay healthy. Perhaps if he reaches his best potential he could be a superior defense & playmaker, slightly lesser scorer to Dame. I view Scoot as getting teammates more involved which would be a nice change from iso ball play. Perhaps in a best case scenario it'd be like asking someone if Chris paul or Dame is better, you'd probably have many different answers as to which one is better between Paul and dame. I do think in the best case scenario I could envision saying Scoot could become a superior "pure point guard" in terms of setting up plays and creating offense for the teammates around him
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,884

Post#89 » by Norm2953 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:26 am

Looking forward to the new era with Scoot/Sharpe after listening to Bill Simmons.

It might actually turn out well if the team can add another top 3 pick in a 2024 that
could be loaded with guys with length, which is what this team needs.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,988

Post#90 » by JasonStern » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:20 pm

"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,687

Post#91 » by Jamaaliver » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:07 am

Read on Twitter
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#92 » by DC_Melo » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:04 am

Jamaaliver wrote:Image

Read on Twitter

Thank your for sharing!

There is plenty of reason for optimism that Scoot’s shot will improve, and a fair bit of evidence that improvement has already started.

To begin with, the numbers above reflect his 2 years with the ignite. They don’t reflect the split between year one and year two. O’Conner conveniently left out the fact that his shooting improved across the board from one year to the next. Scoot’s jumper (or at least shot form) is solid… not just to my eye test but also according to every scouting tape I’ve watched and it was passably efficient from the high school 3.

His shot is fine, his range is not. He shoots too squared up to ever be the logo-deep bomber dame is (dame generates extra “effortless” shot power by offsetting his feet to the basket and twisting his hips to generate more torque, as do Trae and Steph), but his current mechanics can easily extend to 3pt range.

Scoots percentages are trending the correct direction and by a fair margin if u look at his year 1-2 splits. It’s actually crazy to think he won’t improve based on his body of work. But why consider things like context and numerical patterns when analyzing data when u can just average all the stats together and make a general assumption. Top notch media work, Mr. O’Conner.
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#93 » by Shem » Tue Aug 8, 2023 9:40 am

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,642

Post#94 » by JRoy » Tue Aug 8, 2023 10:27 pm

Will be better than Dame

Not close.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#95 » by Dame Lizard » Tue Aug 8, 2023 10:32 pm

JRoy wrote:

Will be better than Dame

Not close.
It's unlikely that Scoot will be better than Dame, but we just don't know yet.

As of their respective draft days, Scoot was incomparably rated as a wayyyyyy better prospect than Dame, and it wasn't close.

Obviously Dame vastly exceeded expectations though.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,561

Post#96 » by zzaj » Wed Aug 9, 2023 4:48 pm

I have to admit, I'm slightly worried about Scoot's injury history. Nothing major but he does have a history of little nagging injuries, including a broken nose and ankle injuries.

We've gotten used to Lillard being mostly an iron man for most of his career. Hopefully Scoot continues that trend...
Shem
RealGM
And1: 3,349

Post#97 » by Shem » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:04 pm

Every Blazers fan needs to watch this:

April 4, 2014:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:I never said Dallas was good as Portland

Earlier on December 8, 2013:
HotrodBeaubois wrote:That's the Whole Point Portland is No better than Dallas

Return to Portland Trail Blazers